[rom] [twrp] sm-t290 & sm-t295 [discussions & help thread]

jlang11

Nov 14, 2010
St. Petersburg, FL
T290

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FdUVgKgfJ1RtmcOSiAEkGfxtUNsJXz2J/view?usp=drivesdk

T295

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mbWFIedBKpNxMBE4BDvPe_AaRp0aWzhM/view?usp=drivesdk

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Both based on Android 10 and should be up to date. If anyone sees an update at any time, please feel free to inform me and I'll build new ones.

Regards,
Nathan
Hi guys, quick question. Its been a while since Ive rooted anything... I have the T290 and my bootloader is unlocked. Can this be as simple as flashing TWRP and this ROM in Odin (I assume using the BL from 9?) Ive been reading all these threads, but there doesnt seem to be an easy way to get root. Some have you patching the ROM in Magisk Manager, going thru this button sequence, or that sequence...

I guess by easy I mean that there is just a clear cut way to do it. I am on BTI2 which is the latest update I got recently...

Reactions: sal84x

gsxg21

Dec 2, 2020
Good afternoon! Here is the file for rutting :)
I do not use recovery.img, it’s better when recovery is stock, then it’s easier to enter recovery mode and after entering into recovery mode Root rights will not be lost ...
Good luck
sm-t290 user here, it works, I bow to you, sir!

AliasGprime

Dec 14, 2018
(SECURE CHECK FAIL VBMETA) - This is only a warning, the vbmeta file is flashed and ODIN says PASS!

It is necessary to remove the AutoReboot bird before the TWRP firmware, since the stock recovery is restored after the reboot. After the PASS display, disconnect the cable and enter the recovery mode, that is, into the flashed TWRP.
How to log into TWRP:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83575515&postcount=303
I'm currently stuck at this step, the link you've posted here doesn't work anymore with the change of the forum. Am I doing something wrong? once it's flashed I try to boot up in recovery, but everytime, I get a "SECURE CHECK FAIL : receovery.img" I need to flash the whole firmware again to boot up the tablet again.

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
I'm currently stuck at this step, the link you've posted here doesn't work anymore with the change of the forum. Am I doing something wrong? once it's flashed I try to boot up in recovery, but everytime, I get a "SECURE CHECK FAIL : receovery.img" I need to flash the whole firmware again to boot up the tablet again.
If Android 10 is installed, then it will be so, the protection in it is strengthened and the issue is solved only by replacing the bootloader with Android 9 ... Take the BL file from the previous Android 9 firmware and flash it through ODIN as part of BL.
P.S. How do I delete unwanted messages? ..

punkyskunky

Jul 8, 2012
Hey. So I'm considering rooting my 2 sm-t290 tablets. Is it easy to allow the sd cards for apps after root? If it is easy is there a easy to follow guide with all the links for stuff ill need to complete the root process?
I do apologize if this isn't the correct place to ask

mathsz

Mar 6, 2012
Quebec
hi, smt-290 owner.
I'm having problems getting this thing unlocked. I followed the threads that mention how to unlock the bootloader, power off, plug usb, power up+down held. This gets me in recovery mode where I can then select bootloader.
when I do boot in, I do not get the blue sceen that all the thread or posts mention. I'm at a black screen that says status locked.
dev options are on, OEM unlocking is on. I've fiddled with the up/down buttons for an hour or so trying all sorts of button combination while I'm in there, no luck.
Heimdall and Odin both detect the devices. Fastboot says nothing. currently on sm-t290
build number qp1a.190711.020.t290xxs3btl6
december1 security patch level.
any help appreciated in unlocking. I really did try and I did hit the search button, please don't flame me.

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
hi, smt-290 owner.
I'm having problems getting this thing unlocked. I followed the threads that mention how to unlock the bootloader, power off, plug usb, power up+down held. This gets me in recovery mode where I can then select bootloader.
when I do boot in, I do not get the blue sceen that all the thread or posts mention. I'm at a black screen that says status locked.
dev options are on, OEM unlocking is on. I've fiddled with the up/down buttons for an hour or so trying all sorts of button combination while I'm in there, no luck.
Heimdall and Odin both detect the devices. Fastboot says nothing. currently on sm-t290
build number qp1a.190711.020.t290xxs3btl6
december1 security patch level.
any help appreciated in unlocking. I really did try and I did hit the search button, please don't flame me.
Did you read Magisk Install Notes? Especially the section on unlocking bootloader on Samsung device.

You describe doing what I remember. I don't remember a black screen that says status locked. I think when I selected Unlock Bootloader a message flashed on the screen about how it was wiping data. Then, either it reboots by itself, or you have to force it to reboot. Then you skip through setup to get as far as enabling internet. Then enable Developer Options so you can confirm OEM Unlock is enabled and greyed out.

When actually using Odin, there's a warning about first deleting any accounts attached to tablet. I don't remember if it's important to do that before unlocking.

You said you got to the Unlock option on the download screen. Whem you select Unlock, do you see any message flash by?

scampo77

Dec 8, 2013
Montreal
Hi guys, quick question. Its been a while since Ive rooted anything... I have the T290 and my bootloader is unlocked. Can this be as simple as flashing TWRP and this ROM in Odin (I assume using the BL from 9?) Ive been reading all these threads, but there doesnt seem to be an easy way to get root. Some have you patching the ROM in Magisk Manager, going thru this button sequence, or that sequence...

I guess by easy I mean that there is just a clear cut way to do it. I am on BTI2 which is the latest update I got recently...

I have been over here pulling my hair out for the last 20 hours trying to get this tablet rooted. I can't seem to get the OEM lock unlocked. This stalls out Odin. I have been thinking the same thing that it must be a simple solution but after 10 different threads and no one answering me on any of the forums I have made almost no progress in 2 days full time trying to get this thing rooted.

Sm t290 If you have any luck please respond back to me I am ready to throw this stupid tablet off a bridge.

mathsz

Mar 6, 2012
Quebec
Did you read Magisk Install Notes? Especially the section on unlocking bootloader on Samsung device.

You describe doing what I remember. I don't remember a black screen that says status locked. I think when I selected Unlock Bootloader a message flashed on the screen about how it was wiping data. Then, either it reboots by itself, or you have to force it to reboot. Then you skip through setup to get as far as enabling internet. Then enable Developer Options so you can confirm OEM Unlock is enabled and greyed out.

When actually using Odin, there's a warning about first deleting any accounts attached to tablet. I don't remember if it's important to do that before unlocking.

You said you got to the Unlock option on the download screen. Whem you select Unlock, do you see any message flash by?
See attached.
When booting, power + volume up = recovery mode
Power+ volume down = safe mode.
Power + up+down= safe mode.
So from recovery,bhoot to bootloader, get second screen attachment,

Download mode. Then no button combination does anything. I have tried a lots. Hold release, up, down, power button. I feel like I'm doing the konami code. Lol

Attachments

mathsz

Mar 6, 2012
Quebec
welllllllllllllllllllllllll
For whatever reason, it worked right away now. Plugging the usb cable while holding the vol up and vol down button worked right away. WOW

Reactions: J.Michael

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
welllllllllllllllllllllllll
For whatever reason, it worked right away now. Plugging the usb cable while holding the vol up and vol down button worked right away. WOW
Does this mean you found an easier way to get to download mode? Or have you succeeded in unlocking your bootloader?

blazzer12

Jun 15, 2012
This ROM was snappy for a while and then it started restarting several times a day. It is getting stuck at the "Samsung" Logo screen. It stays there forever flashing the logo.

mathsz

Mar 6, 2012
Quebec
Does this mean you found an easier way to get to download mode? Or have you succeeded in unlocking your bootloader?
I unlocked the bootloader. I tried it again for the heck of it yesterday and it worked immediately after plugging the usb cable. I must have been doing something wrong before.

Anyhow, it's more reading time. I believe there was a vbmeta file somewhere. I'll try a gsi rom. Treble checker says it's compatible. Hopefully it works. Otherwise I'll go back to oneui.

mathsz

Mar 6, 2012
Quebec
I have been over here pulling my hair out for the last 20 hours trying to get this tablet rooted. I can't seem to get the OEM lock unlocked. This stalls out Odin. I have been thinking the same thing that it must be a simple solution but after 10 different threads and no one answering me on any of the forums I have made almost no progress in 2 days full time trying to get this thing rooted.

Sm t290 If you have any luck please respond back to me I am ready to throw this stupid tablet off a bridge.
so this worked for me : unlocking the bootloader
-install abd and fastboot and samsung drivers (just in case you do not have them on already)
-dev options
-unlock oem checked
-power off
-before plugging that usb cable in the pc, press and hold vol up+ vol down. KEEP HOLDING, plug the usb cable in tablet. This should lead you to a blue screen with a huge warning, there be dragons, remember.
-longpress vol up, and follow the prompts.

I do not know why, it took a few tries to get the blue screen.

Now I'm off to reading more before trying anything. I've read that it requires the A9 Bootloader before flashing twrp, I may be wrong, still reading at the moment. I also saw fixes for twrp encryption. Just read read read read read read everything you can find before actually doing anything and make double sure you have Odin and Firmwares to get back to stock if you somehow brick your tablet. Also Odin and Heimdall would be good things to have on-hand. I'm off to work and tonight will read about treble roms some more. I've used them often, just unsure I want to play with the partitions on the device if gapps do not go through. Or maybe I get the package with gapps already in.

OP, sorry for the thread hack, delete if irrelevant.

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
So it was originally, this is how to enter the download mode on new devices;)
Everything you need is in the themes:
Good luck!