[ROM][UBports GSI] Ubuntu Touch for Poco F1 [Pie Based][Alpha 2][Unofficial][Updated]

Search This thread

jodev

Mar 25, 2020
Hello Sir
  • make sure you have android 9 firmware and vendor (by installing lin-16)
  • fastboot flash system system.img
  • fastboot flash boot boot.img
  • fastboot flash recovery ubports-recovery.img
  • reboot. thats it!
  • IMAGE DONT BOOT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After installing lin-16. You must FORMAT DATA in recovery. I forgot to mention this. After that boot into fastboot. flash everything. I just tested it out now. Its working for me. I have updated the instructions. Can you kindly try it again.

Thanks

Last edited:

S.M.R.T

Dec 18, 2020
Hello

after command: /usr/share/ofono/scripts/set-context-property 0 Protocol ip

Mobile Data works great!
Only intern SD card not working

Reactions: jodev

thomashastings

Sep 28, 2020
Update Guys. So i earlier worked on trying to get official builds over here: https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-ports/android9/xiaomi-poco-f1/xiaomi-beryllium

But i was having issue with mobile data not working in official builds. Part of the reason why i didnt proceed with it after trying hard to fix it.

But recently, got to know about a workaround! Its to related to this. ubports/ubuntu-touch#1657.

Steps to fix mobile data issue in official builds:
  • Turn off the mobile data.
  • ssh/open terminal app and run
  • Code:
    /usr/share/ofono/scripts/set-context-property 0 Protocol ip
  • Turn on mobile data.
Its a one time fix. it seems to persist after reboots. so first time after installation, we might have to do this temporarily. they ll eventually fix though!

For those who want to try out Official Ubports Build:
If few of you can test this, confirm its working fine and report here, i can update the post and release the official version and add support for flashing beryllium using the official UBports installer software. Thank you guys for your interest and support!

I tried this with the Lineage build from the first post, and the latest artifacts (Job #1101031495), flashed using an Ubuntu box. I can confirm that the method works flawlessly. I hope that an official UBports installer will be possible to reach even more interested users! Thank you for the great work on this.

Also, I turned my Poco F1 into a testing device now, so should you have anything else to test, I'd be more than willing to do so. Not only related to UBports, but anything Linux.

Reactions: amn1987

surya02

May 17, 2016
Just tested the unofficial port works great and Thanks to the dev for the amazing build. Although I found an issue with wireless Bluetooth earphones, It was connected to earphones fine but no audio. PS:- Earphones are working fine.

Last edited:

Peter Gamma

Oct 5, 2019
petergamma.org
Smart Watches
To unlock Poco F1, someone gave the following instruction to me:

"The unlock process is complicated because you need to use the Mi Unlock Tool to do it. For that you need a Mi account, a SIM-card and an email adress. In the past it worked best with an Gmail account. There were problems with other mail providers! When you ‘apply’ for the unlock you have to wait 3 days to actually unlock the phone."

Did you also use this path?

amn1987

"The unlock process is complicated because you need to use the Mi Unlock Tool to do it. For that you need a Mi account, a SIM-card and an email adress. In the past it worked best with an Gmail account. There were problems with other mail providers! When you ‘apply’ for the unlock you have to wait 3 days to actually unlock the phone."

Yes. You need to have the SIM that was used for registration inserted in the handset and with mobile data active. Probably because I had used the same account that had been used for my previous Xiaomi devices unlocking permission was granted almost instantly.
Edit: If you encounter any error while unlocking it's better to try only after a few days wait.

Reactions: Peter Gamma

Peter Gamma

Oct 5, 2019
petergamma.org
Smart Watches
Yes. You need to have the SIM that was used for registration inserted in the handset and with mobile data active. Probably because I had used the same account that had been used for my previous Xiaomi devices unlocking permission was granted almost instantly.
Edit: If you encounter any error while unlocking it's better to try only after a few days wait.

Very helpful user experience, many thanks. I think I let go completely of Matlab and use a Poco F1 with Python as my workstation :).

Reactions: amn1987

Peter Gamma

Oct 5, 2019
petergamma.org
Smart Watches
UBports GSI image zip file link please

You can find the link in Joels Xiaomi Poco F1 (Beryllium) thread in the Ubports forum:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Very helpful user experience, many thanks. I think I let go completely of Matlab and use a Poco F1 with Python as my workstation :).

logo.png

Ubuntu Touch for Poco F1

This rom is based on Ubuntu Touch linux distribution which uses halium as its hardware abstraction layer. Its not a typical android ROM. Ubuntu Touch is a mobile version of the Ubuntu operating system that was originally developed by Canonical Ltd. and is now being developed by the UBports community.

More can be read here : UBports Link & Halium Link

THIS ROM IS IN ALPHA STAGE. In short, it's not meant to be your daily driver, you may face many bugs.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you. Hard & a lot.
    */

Changelogs:
    Alpha 2:
    • Fixed battery drain issue. Should get multi-day standby now
    • Now using Lineage based kernel rather than Mi original kernel. So we got relatively new patches compared to older build

What Works
    • Wifi
    • Bluetooth
    • Mobile Data
    • Calls
    • Audio
    • GPS
    • Fingerprint
    • Sensors

What Doesn't Work Properly
    • Dual Sim usage. Sometimes calls on sim 1 crash with dual sims. Best config is a single sim on slot 2.
    • The wifi driver doesnt go into sleep mode leading to battery drain when left on for a long time. (Fixed in Alpha 2 release)
    • Overall Reliability. This is an early/initial effort to run linux on Poco F1. Expect lot of bugs.

You can track the overall porting status here

Instructions
    Requires Unlocked Bootloader and Custom Recovery (TWRP recommended). Backup your files. We will be doing a clean installation.

1. Wipe Dalvik/ART Cache, Cache, System, Data.
    2. Download Android Pie firmware V11.0.5.0 from here and install it from twrp.
    3. Download and install the UNOFFICIAL Lineage-16.0 (Pie) from twrp (I built it from source since OFFICIAL pie builds are no longer available from lineage website).
    4. After installing lineageos, FORMAT DATA from twrp. (Your Internal Storage will be wiped)
    5. Download the latest UBports GSI image from here and copy it to your device and install the zip file from twrp.
    6. Download the latest halium-boot image from here
    7. You can copy it to device, and use "Install Image" option in twrp to install the halium-boot.img to the Boot partition.
    or
    7. You can use your computer to flash the halium boot image using fastboot.
    8. Reboot to the system. Ubuntu should boot.
    9. Both the default username and password is "phablet". You can change it later from terminal using `passwd` command as in linux os.
    10. To install the proper camera app, open the terminal app in the phone
    OR connect your phone to the computer with USB and `ssh [email protected]`
    and run the following commands (Internet Required)
    Code:
    wget https://static.peat-network.xyz/junk/ubports/com.ubuntu.camera_3.1.2+gstdroid3_armhf.click

pkcon install-local --allow-untrusted com.ubuntu.camera_3.1.2+gstdroid3_armhf.click

Thats it!

Downloads
    Firmware (Pie) V11.0.5.0 - https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/archive/firmware/beryllium/
    Lineage-16.0 (Pie) - https://download.lineageos.org/beryllium
    UBports GSI by Erfan Abdi- https://build.lolinet.com/file/halium/GSI/
    Halium Boot kernel - https://github.com/ubports-beryllium/android_kernel_xiaomi_sdm845/releases

Issues/Bug Reports
    Feel free to report issues here: Github. Do attach the below logs for debugging:
    kernel log:
    Code:
    dmesg
    syslog:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog
    logcat:
    Code:
    sudo -s

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/system/lib64 lxc-attach -e -n android -- /system/bin/logcat
    You can also reach out to the respective telegram group mentioned below for support.

Contribute
    Do contribute to the project by helping in fixing bugs, adding features and testing. You can reach out to the community through

Credits
    @erfanoabdi for his work on the Ubuntu Touch GSI. You can read his XDA thread on UBports GSI here
    @geekyneo for helping in testing and bug reports.
    @notkit, @RealDanct12
    UBports and Halium Community for their extraordinary work and support.

Hack, Have Fun and Peace!
    (This is my first ever thread in XDA, pardon my ignorance if any;))

XDA:DevDB Information
    UBports Beryllium, ROM for the Xiaomi Poco F1

Contributors
    jodev
    Source Code: https://github.com/ubports-beryllium

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: V11.0.5.0 from https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/archive/firmware/beryllium/
    Based On: Ubuntu Touch, LineageOS

Version Information
    Alpha

Created 2020-07-14
    Last Updated 2020-11-04
    Update Guys. So i earlier worked on trying to get official builds over here: https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-ports/android9/xiaomi-poco-f1/xiaomi-beryllium

But i was having issue with mobile data not working in official builds. Part of the reason why i didnt proceed with it after trying hard to fix it.

But recently, got to know about a workaround! Its to related to this. ubports/ubuntu-touch#1657.

Steps to fix mobile data issue in official builds:
    • Turn off the mobile data.
    • ssh/open terminal app and run
    • Code:
      /usr/share/ofono/scripts/set-context-property 0 Protocol ip
    • Turn on mobile data.
    Its a one time fix. it seems to persist after reboots. so first time after installation, we might have to do this temporarily. they ll eventually fix though!

For those who want to try out Official Ubports Build:
    If few of you can test this, confirm its working fine and report here, i can update the post and release the official version and add support for flashing beryllium using the official UBports installer software. Thank you guys for your interest and support!
    thank you, with the latest build i can install, most of the things work, but attending a call crashes the phone. i hope i could try to help you with ubports if you are planning to continue sir.

Here are some updates.
    • I have fixed the battery discharging issue.
    • But sadly dual sim is still a problem.
    • I tried getting official support with OTA updates, but mobile data is not working in those builds. Its not upto Erfan's Ubuntu Touch GSIs yet. Once its stable, i can release it. The ubuntu touch recovery is already ported. So we can get proper installer support, once I/someone figure out why mobile data is not working in those builds.

So currently only battery drain issue is fixed. I think i should release this fix first. Rest can wait for on another update.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really need some.
    That's great, already knew that a mainline kernel effort was being done for sd845, but poco with phosh would be awesome. I am happy to run a buggy build if you have one.
    Reached you out in XDA conversation. Reach me out in telegram. I will let you know how to test them. You can test it from sdcard without damaging your current android build.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone