• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Rom] Ubuntu touch [halium 9] with waydroid [10] support

Search This thread

mathew..denniss

Apr 26, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
This is an update to the post that I did a while back which can be found here. That was a port using halium 7. To be fair it was prity old and buggy. This one uses halium 9 (bugs are still plenty though ;-P ), and is a marginal improvement over the previous one.Yet this port was no means easy, in reality, this port was even more buggy at first ,but most of them were much easier to fix, as I got lots of help from the porting community.I was able to get it to a booting state in about 3 months time as compared to more than a year with halium 7 , to be fair the delay was also due to the fact that I was not exactly an android developer or a developer for that matter, and had to read a lot at first .

anyways I share it here as I have reached a point where further bug fixing is beyond my capability . or in other words, Googling error codes and testing all possible methods /solutions don't seem to yield any meaningful full result, I do really wish someone better than me would look into it and make it even better ;- )

In the meantime let me add more Verbose ;-P

What is ubuntu touch

ubuntu touch is different from other oses as it is fork of Linux as compared to all our favorite mobile oses being forks of android. in other words, it is a fully functional Linux os optimized to run on arm64 device in a touch environment.The original idea was conceived by canonical and later they stoped their work and open-sourced the project and transferred the assets to the ubports community, the community is actively improving it, and trying to bring it to feature parity with Android .

whats working on this port

• calls,data ,wifi
  • sound, vibration
  • auto rotation
  • manual brightness
and other misc things

whats partially working
  • camera (preview works ...can't click picture and take video)
  • fingerprint (fingerprint wakes the device but cant enroll fingerprints)
what does not work

• Bluetooth
  • auto-brightness
one of the feature improvements amongst other things is waydroid

Waydroid

waydroid is a containerized approach to get an android environment running in a Linux system with the added advantage of full hardware access.so we can android apps and games natively. more details can be found
here. to install way droid open terminal and paste the following
sudo -s mount -o rw,remount / && apt update && apt install waydroid && waydroid init
It also need a fix as waydroid is intended for treble devices which can be found in this post. Thank you @erfanoabdi for enabling support for non treble devices.

Installation
- flash the halium-boot and the following zip file
- clean flash recommended
- reboot after the initial setup is done

Halium-boot .img
ubuntu_touch_installer_Kenzo_halium9_v4.zip

Please Donate
I have spent a ton of my time on this port so please do consider donating. if you are in India please use this upi id -- > [email protected]
else do pm me.

default user password is a

For the History book
ubuntu_touch_installer_Kenzo_halium9_v2.zip

The sources
[https://github.com/mathew-dennis
[https://github.com/LineageOS
[https://github.com/Halium
[https://github.com/ubports

changelog

v4
- fixed issue with initial setup --thankyou Kn8Ryder
-audio should come up more often during boot than before

Last edited:

mathew..denniss

Apr 26, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
#Screenshots

Attachments

• screenshot20211028_215104561.png
    screenshot20211028_215104561.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 187
  • screenshot20211028_215131977.png
    screenshot20211028_215131977.png
    258.4 KB · Views: 183
  • screenshot20211028_215415027.png
    screenshot20211028_215415027.png
    502 KB · Views: 176
  • screenshot20211028_215327377.png
    screenshot20211028_215327377.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 177
  • screenshot20211028_215305127.png
    screenshot20211028_215305127.png
    702 KB · Views: 175
  • screenshot20211021_085322176.png
    screenshot20211021_085322176.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 178
  • screenshot20211028_215236496.png
    screenshot20211028_215236496.png
    404.7 KB · Views: 158
  • screenshot20211028_215218794.png
    screenshot20211028_215218794.png
    223.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Touch not working! after initial setup
For me the fix was to firstly install old ubuntu touch, load it and configure. After that,flash bootimage of new Ubuntu Touch with Halium9, then flash .zip with new Ubuntu Touch. It will give error, it is normal - go to /data/ and delete dir "ubports", then try again.
After that - just reboot, system will start with configured profile "Ubuntu"
The password is just "a"

mathew..denniss

Apr 26, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
For me the fix was to firstly install old ubuntu touch, load it and configure. After that,flash bootimage of new Ubuntu Touch with Halium9, then flash .zip with new Ubuntu Touch. It will give error, it is normal - go to /data/ and delete dir "ubports", then try again.
After that - just reboot, system will start with configured profile "Ubuntu"
The password is just "a"
both flash may end with flash error that not a problem its a busybox compatibility thing.(not relevant )

htchennuo1

um that for me sound dont work too..
if not delete ubports in recovery and install, it 'll show a short black screen with a small mouse and reboot.
Also there are strange permission issues in the system dirty flashed from halium 7

jeangjenq

Dec 5, 2018
Can I ask for some clarification? I managed to install the alpha version from your previous post, but how do you flash these update zips? I tried flashing them via TWRP on the device but I keep getting "recovery busybox setup failed" error.

jeangjenq

Dec 5, 2018
Can I ask for some clarification? I managed to install the alpha version from your previous post, but how do you flash these update zips? I tried flashing them via TWRP on the device but I keep getting "recovery busybox setup failed" error.
An update on this, after two more tries of reinstalling old ubuntu touch > flashing halium-boot through fastboot > Flashing zip through TWRP. It flash without issue and booted. Initially the sound isn't working, but after several weird restarts (select poweroff but it restarted, select poweroff but it froze on boot logo, etc etc), sound is working. This is a fun project

mathew..denniss

Apr 26, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
t
Can I ask for some clarification? I managed to install the alpha version from your previous post, but how do you flash these update zips? I tried flashing them via TWRP on the device but I keep getting "recovery busybox setup failed" errotry v4

try v4 ,it has some more fixess.busybox things are gone now

• Love
Reactions: jeangjenq

Crayvolt

Mar 22, 2013
EL-DORADO
I did clean install
boot halium + v4 update

then install waydroid thru terminal
loading screen boot logo waydroid? is this alright?
im waiting to it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hy plz try this in terminal

Bash:
    #fix updated for waydroid 1.2
    sudo -s
    Mount -o rw,remount /
    mount -o rw,remount /var/lib/waydroid/rootfs/vendor

cp /system/lib64/libui.so /var/lib/waydroid/rootfs/vendor/lib64/libui.so
    cp /system/lib64/libbinder.so /var/lib/waydroid/rootfs/vendor/lib64/libbinder.so
    cp /system/lib64/[email protected] /var/lib/waydroid/rootfs/vendor/lib64/[email protected]
    cp /system/lib64/[email protected] /var/lib/waydroid/rootfs/vendor/lib64/[email protected]
    cp /system/lib64/android.hardware.configstore-utils.so /var/lib/waydroid/rootfs/vendor/lib64/android.hardware.configstore-utils.so
    clear
    echo "done , if it still dont boot check waydroid logcat"
    updated the flashable zip .. thankyou for the fix @Kn8Ryder
    t
    Can I ask for some clarification? I managed to install the alpha version from your previous post, but how do you flash these update zips? I tried flashing them via TWRP on the device but I keep getting "recovery busybox setup failed" errotry v4

for waydroid
    - connect kenzo to linux laptop then in PC terminal

Code:

- then execute the patch script one by one (see if any line fails ,else run waydroid logcat )

For audio
    - try , normal reboot followed by a hard reboot (don't let go of the power button) ( if it works once then it should works even after the next reboot)
    - back end issue will go away once audio comes online
    - don't know the audio driver used by kenzo otherwise we could add a script to load it everytime

keyboard things are not device-specific (may get fixed in the coming ota s)
    An answer step by step below this thread describe what I want

But now we have ubuntu in ur phone, some how make it act like a server ubuntu we buy from Digital Ocean, Azure,...

I'm searched and try some way but look like it's not functional enough, some way just ubuntu emulator
    In ut ssh is enabled by default and if u want vnc there may be apps that u can install...
    This is an update to the post that I did a while back which can be found here. That was a port using halium 7. To be fair it was prity old and buggy. This one uses halium 9 (bugs are still plenty though ;-P ), and is a marginal improvement over the previous one.Yet this port was no means easy, in reality, this port was even more buggy at first ,but most of them were much easier to fix, as I got lots of help from the porting community.I was able to get it to a booting state in about 3 months time as compared to more than a year with halium 7 , to be fair the delay was also due to the fact that I was not exactly an android developer or a developer for that matter, and had to read a lot at first .

anyways I share it here as I have reached a point where further bug fixing is beyond my capability . or in other words, Googling error codes and testing all possible methods /solutions don't seem to yield any meaningful full result, I do really wish someone better than me would look into it and make it even better ;- )

In the meantime let me add more Verbose ;-P

What is ubuntu touch

ubuntu touch is different from other oses as it is fork of Linux as compared to all our favorite mobile oses being forks of android. in other words, it is a fully functional Linux os optimized to run on arm64 device in a touch environment.The original idea was conceived by canonical and later they stoped their work and open-sourced the project and transferred the assets to the ubports community, the community is actively improving it, and trying to bring it to feature parity with Android .

whats working on this port

• calls,data ,wifi
    • sound, vibration
    • auto rotation
    • manual brightness
    and other misc things

whats partially working
    • camera (preview works ...can't click picture and take video)
    • fingerprint (fingerprint wakes the device but cant enroll fingerprints)
    what does not work

• Bluetooth
    • auto-brightness
    one of the feature improvements amongst other things is waydroid

Waydroid

waydroid is a containerized approach to get an android environment running in a Linux system with the added advantage of full hardware access.so we can android apps and games natively. more details can be found
    here. to install way droid open terminal and paste the following
    sudo -s mount -o rw,remount / && apt update && apt install waydroid && waydroid init
    It also need a fix as waydroid is intended for treble devices which can be found in this post. Thank you @erfanoabdi for enabling support for non treble devices.

Installation
    - flash the halium-boot and the following zip file
    - clean flash recommended
    - reboot after the initial setup is done

Halium-boot .img
    ubuntu_touch_installer_Kenzo_halium9_v4.zip

Please Donate
    I have spent a ton of my time on this port so please do consider donating. if you are in India please use this upi id -- > [email protected]
    else do pm me.

default user password is a

For the History book
    ubuntu_touch_installer_Kenzo_halium9_v2.zip

The sources
    [https://github.com/mathew-dennis
    [https://github.com/LineageOS
    [https://github.com/Halium
    [https://github.com/ubports

changelog

v4
    - fixed issue with initial setup --thankyou Kn8Ryder
    -audio should come up more often during boot than before
    hy plz try this in terminal

Bash:
    #fix updated for waydroid 1.2
    sudo -s
    Mount -o rw,remount /
    mount -o rw,remount /var/lib/waydroid/rootfs/vendor

cp /system/lib64/libui.so /var/lib/waydroid/rootfs/vendor/lib64/libui.so
    cp /system/lib64/libbinder.so /var/lib/waydroid/rootfs/vendor/lib64/libbinder.so
    cp /system/lib64/android.hardware.configstore-utils.so /var/lib/waydroid/rootfs/vendor/lib64/android.hardware.configstore-utils.so
    clear
    echo "done , if it still dont boot check waydroid logcat"
    updated the flashable zip .. thankyou for the fix @Kn8Ryder
    t