[ROM][(Un)OFFICIAL] LineageOS 15.1 for Nexus 6 (shamu)

Search This thread

dbrickg

Feb 11, 2012
Ok fine but I have a new problem. After installing the latest version of lineageos 15.1 from 10-17-2021 as well as the opengapps nano package my phone goes to the setup screen where you put in the wifi password and it says its updating things and it gets stuck there. The last time I let it sit for an hour while it was claiming to update things. It gave me the option to update via cellular so I tried that as well but it just hangs forever. Also while this is going on, some of the gapps packages are erroring out? I followed the instructions to a T for the installation, and am using the latest version of twrp 3-5-2-9-0. yet the same thing happens if i use mindthegapps or opengapps. If I skip the gapps entirely when installing from twrp then los 15.1 starts and works fine. Any ideas?
Sounds like it might be some variation on the first heads up item: "When you initially install LineageOS, be sure you flash the gapps package with your ROM. If you boot your ROM, then go back and try to flash gapps after, you're gonna have a bad time"

Maybe try clean flashing everything? I really don't know

Reactions: platinumthomas

dwardo

Jan 15, 2011
France
Asus Transformer TF700
Nexus 6
I just updated the Top Post and provided links to download the lastest UNOFFICIAL build (from today) which includes the now (no more official SPL from now on as per comments here) non official December 2021 security bulletins.

This explains why there was no build in november, october being the last officila security bump for lineage-15.1

Don't forget to also read the instructions about migration from OFFICIAL to UNOFFICIAL

ProBird79

Jan 13, 2008
I've noticed recently that my screen isn't auto-rotating. I do have auto-rotate enabled. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

dbrickg

Feb 11, 2012
I just updated the Top Post and provided links to download the lastest UNOFFICIAL build (from today) which includes the now (no more official SPL from now on as per comments here) non official January 2022 security bulletins.
oh boy! thanks! downloading it now .... installed and looks good! aha, just realized i was a couple of versions of twrp behind. seem to be having some problems installing 3.6.... restored and reinstalled and now it looks just fine

Last edited:
Reactions: Armentanzirian

dbrickg

Feb 11, 2012
I wish I could figure out how to delete an accidental post ;(

Last edited:

dbrickg

Feb 11, 2012
So, Verizon says they're shutting down 3g by December of this year, so my shamu will stop working. I'm looking for recommendations for a new phone. I've been sort of looking at the Pixel 4a and the Pixel 5. Any others I should consider?

runekock

Apr 24, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Nexus 6
So, Verizon says they're shutting down 3g by December of this year, so my shamu will stop working. I'm looking for recommendations for a new phone. I've been sort of looking at the Pixel 4a and the Pixel 5. Any others I should consider?
Well, I don't know what you're looking for in a phone. I can only say that my main phone now is the Pixel 2 XL, and I have not been disappointed. I still use the N6 as secondary phone.

Reactions: dbrickg

shabang3773

Apr 30, 2022
USA
I've run into the 3G shutdown problem with Tmobile also. They're shutting down by the end of the month. The only way I can keep using my N6 Shamu on this network is to enable VoLTE. It's has been my daily driver for years. @dbrickg I think Verizon supports VoLTE. So all you need to do is get VoLTE working on your N6 Shamu and you can use it for a while longer until you decide on a new phone. Keep reading. I installed this unofficial ROM and VoLTE seemed to be enabled but I'm in a gray area because right now Tmobile has 3G still working. Its very spotty and I get dropped calls, long delays when connecting after dialing or just not connecting at all after dialing. This is what is happening, even though VoLTE is enabled the phone is defaulting to sending the voice packets over HSPA which is what Tmobile calls 3.5G, whiich is really 3G. In order to prevent this, I need to get into the service menu with *#*#4636#*#*, open the "Phone Info" menu and set LTE Only. I did this on my N5X Bullhead with the unofficial 15.1 ROM and it worked. However, with this Unofficial Shamu 15.1 Rom, when I try to enter that "Phone Info" menu the phone crashes. Must be some kind of bug. If I can't get into that menu and change that setting, the phone is basically unusable right now. So, for now my N5X Bullhead is my daily driver. My N6 Shamu may work after Tmobile shuts down 3G because when it isn't available, the phones only option is to send the voice packets over LTE, but for now it's not working out for me. Does anybody know where the file is located in the root directory that this menu writes to? If it is a text file or an XML file I can just open it in a text editor and change it from LTE Only=false to LTE Only=true and find the one that is enabled and change it to false. Then I should be good. Or, @dwardo if that bug could be fixed in the future, I would also be good. Anybody know where the file lives that this menu is writing to?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Wiki.

Important Info
    DON'T USE TWRP 3.0.2-0 OR OLDER WITH LINEAGEOS. IT DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY. USE VERSION 3.2.1.0 HERE

Current lineage 15.1 shamu nightlies are based on the N6F27M October 2017 update from google.
    So you should be using the radio and bootloader img from that update.
    If you already have those you don't need to flash them again.
    They can be extracted from the factory image on google's site here.
    Or you can use the ones linked below that I already extracted:

radio-shamu-d4.01-9625-05.45+fsg-9625-02.117.img
    bootloader-shamu-moto-apq8084-72.04.img

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR VERIZON USERS: Google released a separate October 2017 security update (NGI77B) just for verizon users that has a different radio. So you'll want to flash it. I repeat, THIS RADIO IS JUST FOR VERIZON USERS.

radio-shamu-d4.01-9625-05.51+fsg-9625-02.118.img

You can use fastboot to flash the bootloader and radio.

More information and installation instructions can be found on the LineageOS wiki here.

Download Links
    LineageOS OFFICIAL: https://download.lineageos.org/shamu
    As you will see it is no longer available and there will be no new OFFICIAL builds as shamu has been promoted to LineageOS 18.1.
    Seems an archive of the official 15.1 builds is here. To check official signature you can follow this guide

LineageOS UNOFFICIAL: lineage-15.1-20220301-UNOFFICIAL-shamu.zip
    Includes the now (no longer official from now on as per comments here) non official February 2022 security bulletins.
    Here is its md5sum.

Google apps: MindTheGapps or OpenGAPPS <= nano

HEADS UP:
    • When you initially install LineageOS, be sure you flash the gapps package with your ROM. If you boot your ROM, then go back and try to flash gapps after, you're gonna have a bad time.
    • If you are migrating from an OFFICIAL build to the UNOFFICIAL build you have 2 options:
      1. Wipe data and do a clean install of UNOFFICIAL build
      2. Dirty flash thanks to an intermediate MIGRATION build
        First flash the MIGRATION build (lineage-15.1-20200501-MIGRATION-shamu.zip md5sum), boot to it and then flash the UNOFFICIAL build and boot to it.

SU addon zip: Addon Install zip / Addon Removal zip
    NOTE: LineageOS does not come with root, so this is now provided for those that want it.
    The install zip is a one time flash, like gapps.
    Meaning, it persists when updating to a new LineageOS nightly.

Changelog

Builddate: 2018.07.17
    Changes:
    [new] Full featured, binderized power HAL with support for following power profiles:
    - Power save => Maximum of 2 cores online, max. freq limited to 1,036 GHz
    - Bias power => Up to 4 cores online, max. freq limited to 1,036 GHz
    - Balanced => Up to 4 cores online, no freq limits
    - Bias performance => Up to 4 cores online, min freq limited to 1,19 GHz
    - Performance => 4 cores online always at 2,6 GHz
    [new] Core hotplugging through new mpdecision

Known Issues:
    [bug] Trusted voice is not working and probably never will
    [bug] TWRP is not able do decrypt your data if you encrypted it with lineage-15.1
    [bug] Not every app is compatible with the expanded desctop feature. If you have ranndom problems to turn on your device
    disable expanded desktop for the app

Older Changelogs:

Builddate: 2018.06.19
    Changes:
    [new] Full RGB brightness support

Builddate: 2018.06.12
    Changes:
    [new] LineageOS's Trust
    [new] Spectre V1 patches
    [new] june security fixes
    [fix unconfirmed] Camera app 'missing' on some devices

Builddate: 2018.05.28
    Changes:
    [new] Option to check proximity sensor before device is woken up with dt2w
    [new] Stereo recording in all available formats
    [fix] DRM is now L1
    [fix] SU hiding is now working properly

Builddate: 2018.05.21
    Changes:
    [new] New BT power management driver with less wakelocks

Builddate: 2018.04.30
    Changes:
    [new] Stereo recording
    [new] Ability to edit apn regardless of carrier

Builddate: 2018.04.23
    Changes:
    [fixed] DRM now working on L3

Builddate: 2018.04.16
    Changes:
    [fixed] Netflix not working: DRM issue
    [fixed] Camcorder audio too low
    [new] Get rid of forceencryption
    [new] BCL not turning of core 2 and 3 at ~40 % battery anymore
    We're limiting the max frequency instead

Builddate: 2018.04.12
    Changes:
    [fixed] Double touch to wake
    [fixed] Power HAL loading
    [fixed] Vendor image mismatch notification popping up every boot
    [new] Optimized boot latemounting of data and cache

Known Issues:
    [bug] Netflix not working: DRM issue
    [bug] Camcorder audio too low

Builddate: 2018.04.02
    Known Issues:
    [bug] Vendor image mismatch notification popping up every boot. Just ignore it
    [bug] touch to wake is not working

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS, ROM for the Nexus 6

Contributors
    Elektroschmock, Elektroschmock, dwardo
    ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x

Version Information
    Nightly

Created 2018-04-04
    Last Updated 2020-11-14
    Just a small heads up for those of you who wait for LineageOS 16.0.
    It seems like I have fixed the encryption issue. :D
    So there's one blocker less on our road to 16.0.
    Just a quick heads up:

I'll be away the next 3 weeks and will only have limited internet access.
    So no need to worry that I have abandoned our beloved shamu.
    Shamu for Elektroschmok getting ready for shipping :)

Sent from my taimen using XDA Labs

PS
    Shipped, should reach Elektro by Saturday or Monday.
    Anyway, just a quick one, is there any chance that the prevent accidental wake up feature could be added to this rom? I know the LG G3 lineage 15.1 rom supports it, so assume it's already built in lineage os. It uses the proximity sensor to prevent the phone from waking if it is covered.

I find with double tap to wake and also lift to check phone features on, the phone likes to open in my pocket and start calling people at random .

The sensor can be enabled with the screen off. Whenever I want to pick up my phone without having "lift to wake" kick in I'll do so with my thumb covering the sensor... Works every time. :) However, DTTW is a different story, proximity will prevent it occasionally, but often won't (it actually doesn't work more than it does). This is not a LOS thing or even an Oreo thing, it has always been like this.

Bottom line, the proximity sensor does work with the screen off, but not reliably enough to prevent bum dialing when DTTW is set.

Good news! I managed to fix our proximity check on wake.
    The main problem was that our touchscreen driver was sending a KEY_POWER instead of KEY_WAKEUP event. That is the equivalent of a power key press.
    Of course the proximity sensor shouldn't block a power key press. :D

I fixed it with this commit:
    https://review.lineageos.org/#/c/LineageOS/android_kernel_moto_shamu/+/216440/

and enabled the feature with this commit:
    https://review.lineageos.org/#/c/LineageOS/android_device_moto_shamu/+/216439/

I need some testing, but I hope I can get it in for today's build.