• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] [UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER] Fire OS 4.5.2

Search This thread

riggsandroid

Mar 26, 2010
For anyone who has an unlocked bootloader and wants to update to Fire OS 4, here's a stock 4.5.2 ROM that won't overwrite your current unlocked bootloader or recovery partition.

DOWNLOAD HERE

All credit goes to Cpasjuste for the current version - I might be uploading 4.5.5 here soon.

Any feedback on this ROM?

Can this be installed on its own? Can I wipe /system and install? Downloading now but figured I'd ask here.

Reactions: richelwu

riggsandroid

Mar 26, 2010
Yes, it can be installed over a cleanly wiped system partition. This is just the stock ROM that doesn't overwrite unlocked bootloaders when flashed.

Right so when I borked my previous rom (ooooops) without a backup, this will give me stock Amazon rom back.

Thanks.
@bmccoy11

Ok so it flashed fine and I noticed you already did otacerts.old in /system/etc/security and I don't see the dcp apk in /system/app, however it tried DL'ing an update right away.

How do you recommend stopping OTAs?

Trying this method - http://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/tut-disable-ota-4-5-2-install-gapps-t3043550 - seems to work

Thanks.

Last edited:

texmexdud

Jun 20, 2013
Yes, the 4.5.5 is available here, already OTA blocked. I had to do a factory reset after flashing it (use ONLY the factory reset within TWRP, NOT the native factory reset) to get it to work, but after that, clear sailing, works great.

Reactions: threshfire

rlkellyjr

Jan 21, 2011
southeastern
Ok, I'm a little confused about the process. My kindle fire is sitting at 4.5.4. I have refused to turn it on, because I don't want it to take 4.5.5. I want to re-establish root. I understand there is a downgrade process that allows you to move back to 4.5.2, then you can install root.

My question is, how do I unlock the boot loader at this point? Do I need to have an unlocked boot loader to install new images. I really want to be able to root and have the google play store installed, and not have all the bull**** errors like before with the playstore crashing.

Thanks to all you guys that have the answers and knowledge.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Ok, I'm a little confused about the process. My kindle fire is sitting at 4.5.4. I have refused to turn it on, because I don't want it to take 4.5.5. I want to re-establish root. I understand there is a downgrade process that allows you to move back to 4.5.2, then you can install root.

My question is, how do I unlock the boot loader at this point? Do I need to have an unlocked boot loader to install new images. I really want to be able to root and have the google play store installed, and not have all the bull**** errors like before with the playstore crashing.

Thanks to all you guys that have the answers and knowledge.
You can not unlock the bootloader on that device as it can not be rolled back to a version of FireOS (3.2.3.2 or below) containing the vulnerability that the unlock procedure exploits. The lowest you can go is 3.2.8. Any attempt to go further will result in a brick.

To get to 4.5.2 you rollback to 3.2.8 first using the procedure in this thread. Follow instructions precisely or you can damage/brick your device. Understand there are risks involved; this is not a task for the uninformed. There are no step-by-step guides or slick videos. Copious reading is your best friend along with the community servicing HDX forums.

Once on 3.2.8 you can upgrade to 4.5.2, block OTA, root, install Safestrap v4 and then Nexus v4 or cm11 both of which give full access to the Google Play Store. I strongly advise against attempting to install the play store under FireOS. Amazon and Google components do not play nice. Best use a different rom.

Do some reading and decide if you are up for the adventure. Ask questions before acting. Make sure you fully understand the relevant tasks, expected outcomes and things you should never do (like enable WiFi while on 3.2.8 - instant brick).

Edit: Fixed typos...

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks! but i have a question, why CM ROM the sound quality is very bad, even i install Dolby.
Search the HDX LineageOS 14.1 thread; many claim Viper4 is a better solution. Seems a bit complicated to obtain/install but that may be a faux impression. I am satisfied with Dolby but don't demand much from my device from an audio performance perspective.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Viper4 is same too, i think this is about audio drive problem, because i try 4.22 or 4.4.4 system(however custom) sound quality has enough bass.
Might reach out to those who have installed (and presumably customized) Viper4 for this device. They claim sound quality is equal to if not superior to stock FireOS v4 (4.4.x base). I did notice a mild degradation going from Fire Nexus KTU84Q (4.4.4) to Android 5+ but not enough to warrant additional actions beyond installation of Dolby for noise reduction (random pops during quiet passages) and extended volume range. The builds were heavily customized when development resources were heavily focused on ROM enrichment. Things are different now; you'll likely have to roll your own if you believe this issue is with core binaries. Third gen devices have been out of production for 2+ years.

Insidious622

May 4, 2017
You sure about that? Wikipedia page for the series is under the impression they're still producing and selling the 7 inch HDX (which never got a 4th gen release), at least for LTE users.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
You sure about that? Wikipedia page for the series is under the impression they're still producing and selling the 7 inch HDX (which never got a 4th gen release), at least for LTE users.
LOL - since when did Wikipedia become the definative resource for Amazon devices? 3rd gen HDX is definitely out of production and has been for quite some time.

Last edited:

Serbest955

Mar 27, 2017
Hi guys i need a zip or a backup. fore the orginal apollo room. i delet the backup fore safetrap and now i stuck at cm 4.4.4 and i will unlock my bootloader and install a other room but i need a orginal apollo backup or a zip to flash.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi guys i need a zip or a backup. fore the orginal apollo room. i delet the backup fore safetrap and now i stuck at cm 4.4.4 and i will unlock my bootloader and install a other room but i need a orginal apollo backup or a zip to flash.
Bootloader can be unlocked while using CM 11 (KitKat 4.4.4) under Safestrap. Just follow the instructions. No need to reload FireOS.

Serbest955

Mar 27, 2017
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For anyone who has an unlocked bootloader and wants to update to Fire OS 4, here's a stock 4.5.2 ROM that won't overwrite your current unlocked bootloader or recovery partition.

DOWNLOAD HERE

All credit goes to Cpasjuste for the current version - I might be uploading 4.5.5 here soon.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Can this be installed on its own? Can I wipe /system and install? Downloading now but figured I'd ask here.

Yes, it can be installed over a cleanly wiped system partition. This is just the stock ROM that doesn't overwrite unlocked bootloaders when flashed.
    Yes, the 4.5.5 is available here, already OTA blocked. I had to do a factory reset after flashing it (use ONLY the factory reset within TWRP, NOT the native factory reset) to get it to work, but after that, clear sailing, works great.