[ROM] [unlocked] [douglas,giza] [OTAs] Lineage-14.1 [26 JUL 2021]

Search This thread

xenonrider

Dec 17, 2011
Anyone know how to make Gmail use the a Dark theme? I tried editing the FlagPrefs.xml file and setting DarkThemeSupport__dark_theme_support to True but that doesn't work. It seems you have to be on a newer version of Android.

Gmail is the only Google app I use that doesn't have a Dark Mode in the settings. Calendar, Tasks, Keep, Docs, Sheets, Drive, Play Store, Play Games, Contacts, Files, Snapseed all have dark mode. What is up with that?

Last edited:

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
You are welcome. The issue was that after flashing the ROM, the Kindle was detected as an incompatible device. Changing the fingerprint changed how the device is detected and allows the apps to work.
So, based on that, should I change the fingerprint by default? I don't have any problems in doing so, but I want to make sure it's really needed.

So, based on that, should I change the fingerprint by default? I don't have any problems in doing so, but I want to make sure it's really needed.
I think it wont hurt to mask the Fingerprint to certify the Google Play Store.
It will show up more compatible Apps that are hidden if not certified. Also as Xenorider implied, it helpes with some Google Apps.

In my little Tutorial I recommend the Google Pixel XL. Its ARM64 and the only Pixel Phone that released with Nougat.
But of course your free to do as you like 😅

EDIT:
Here are some more Infos:

Last edited:

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
I think it wont hurt to mask the Fingerprint to certify the Google Play Store.
It will show up more compatible Apps that are hidden if not certified. Also as Xenorider implied, it helpes with some Google Apps.

In my little Tutorial I recommend the Google Pixel XL. Its ARM64 and the only Pixel Phone that released with Nougat.
But of course your free to do as you like 😅

EDIT:
Here are some more Infos:
Thanks for the clarification. Pixel XL fingerprint looks OK to me, and if you guys tested it, I guess there shouldn't be any big problem.

I will include these masked fingerprints in the next release of the ROM.

xenonrider

Dec 17, 2011
Are you able to install all of the Google apps (with emphasis on Gmail and Google Calendar) without any issues? If you can't then you probably should fingerprint so it's Google Play compliant.

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
New build is up

2021-08-13
[douglas] [giza]
  • Fixed WebView crashes (Chrome should work).
  • Spoofed Fingerprint (uses Pixel XL's fingerprint now).
  • Increased ZRAM to 786MB (+250MB ~).
  • Dropped deprecated dhpcd.
  • Synced with LineageOS sources (cm-14.1).
NOTE: OTA should roll out in a few minutes. If it doesn't, you can always update by manually flashing the ZIP through TWRP.

New build is up

2021-08-13
[douglas] [giza]
NOTE: OTA should roll out in a few minutes. If it doesn't, you can always update by manually flashing the ZIP through TWRP.
Thank you for the update! Installing it right now, will report back with Gmail and other G Apps results.

#286 - Are you able to install all of the Google apps (with emphasis on Gmail and Google Calendar) without any issues? If you can't then you probably should fingerprint so it's Google Play compliant.
@xenonrider So far Gmail, Google, Chrome, Chat, GBoard, Docs, Sheets, Files by Google, Contacts, Youtube Music install just fine from Google Play Store.. Calendar isn't installing even after deleting all Play Store data, so that is a problem.

@Rortiz2 Chrome works now, although still slow (as expected from giza's older specs). Thank you for fixing it!

#293 - I messed up build.prop and the ROM won't boot
Interesting, I didn't run into any problems when updating and restarting. Still flashed the patch just in case.

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
@xenonrider So far Gmail, Google, Chrome, Chat, GBoard, Docs, Sheets, Files by Google, Contacts, Youtube Music install just fine from Google Play Store.. Calendar isn't installing even after deleting all Play Store data, so that is a problem.

@Rortiz2 Chrome works now, although still slow (as expected from giza's older specs). Thank you for fixing it!

Interesting, I didn't run into any problems when updating and restarting. Still flashed the patch just in case.
Yeah, somehow, just the douglas build messed up. Anyway, I'm rebuilding with the fix, I'll upload them again once it's done.

• Spoofed Fingerprint (uses Pixel XL's fingerprint now)
I am not sure google apps like spoofed signatures. I have noticed this with other signatures too. While this makes both safety net checks pass, apps like YouTube, Keep Notes, Google either crash, or give you errors like "There was an error signing into your account".

Last time I was using Walmart Onn 7 or 8 or something to make ctsProfile pass. Same thing happened. I reverted back to the default signature and google apps started working again.

gqbigpaps

Sep 28, 2020
Alright, I fixed both updates and updated all the links.
I am not sure google apps like spoofed signatures. I have noticed this with other signatures too. While this makes both safety net checks pass, apps like YouTube, Keep Notes, Google either crash, or give you errors like "There was an error signing into your account".

Last time I was using Walmart Onn 7 or 8 or something to make ctsProfile pass. Same thing happened. I reverted back to the default signature and google apps started working again.
Yup same as anujdatar, youtube and other google apps are crashing due to an error since the last update... I am a potato and don't know how to revert to default sig...

dadtrash

Aug 15, 2021
Hi Rortiz2, you made a great job. Yesterday I bought a Giza per accident (thought it was a Douglas) and was able to test your latest firmware. It works good.

One thing: I noticed was that I could not establish adb push when using Lineageos. It worked before with TWRP and my Karnak.

Btw regarding bricking: I never managed, neither with Karnak or Giza instructions, to do the unbrick with Amonet as described in the forums. Always had to open - as they were completely bricked when trying to install TWRP. For Giza I did not want to drill a hole into shield or disassemble as described in the unbrick section. So I was desperate enough to try some shortcuts between two testing pads at the reverse side - with a thin nail scissors. I created a shortcut, a small arc came for my surprise and then the bootloader was open. Could be luck, so never try with something you can not break or lose ;-)

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Hi Rortiz2, you made a great job. Yesterday I bought a Giza per accident (thought it was a Douglas) and was able to test your latest firmware. It works good.

One thing: I noticed was that I could not establish adb push when using Lineageos. It worked before with TWRP and my Karnak.

Btw regarding bricking: I never managed, neither with Karnak or Giza instructions, to do the unbrick with Amonet as described in the forums. Always had to open - as they were completely bricked when trying to install TWRP. For Giza I did not want to drill a hole into shield or disassemble as described in the unbrick section. So I was desperate enough to try some shortcuts between two testing pads at the reverse side - with a thin nail scissors. I created a shortcut, a small arc came for my surprise and then the bootloader was open. Could be luck, so never try with something you can not break or lose ;-)
Hey there,

You probably couldn't use the adb unlock method because as you said FireOS wasn't accessible at all.

That's quite interesting, could you send me some pictures of what did you short, please?

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    320px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2) for the Amazon Fire HD8 2016/2017

Disclaimer:
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is... still valid?
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
    * in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device. All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. If you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.​

IMPORTANT NOTES BEFORE INSTALLING THE ROM:
    • As usual, you need to be unlocked to install this ROM.
    • This ROM is in beta status so don't expect 100% stable ROM.
    • This ROM is only compatible with the Fire HD8 2017 (douglas) and the Fire HD8 2016 (giza). All questions related to other devices will be reported and ignored.
    KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Hardware Decoding is not working (OMX - 1080p video playback).
    • Volume keys behave weirdly.
    • Photos/Video recordings aren't working.
    • Encryption (Disabled).
    INSTALLATION:
    • Boot to TWRP.
    • Wipe system, cache and userdata.
    • Install the ROM zip.
    • (OPTIONAL): Flash G-Apps package.
    • (OPTIONAL): Flash root (Magisk/SuperSU).
    • Wipe Dalvik Cache.
    • Reboot and enjoy!
    DOWNLOADS:
    Source Code:
    Special Thanks:
    • SPECIAL THANKS to @FreakyyLike for donating me douglas.
    • @Lorisson for testing the ROM (douglas).
    • @Iovaduck for testing the ROM (giza).

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 14.1 for the Amazon Fire HD8 2017/2016, ROM for the Amazon Fire HD 8 2017/2016

Contributors
    Rortiz2
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Unlocked bootloader + TWRP
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Beta
    Current Beta Version: 7
    Beta Release Date: 2020-11-26

Created 2020-11-26
    Last Updated 2021-08-13
    Then, LOS14.1 will be discontinued soon?? How about deep sleep issue on LOS15.1?
    Well, if I get the same status as nougat, I guess I'll discontinue it yeah. Not to mention that LineageOS stopped pushing security patches to the cm-14.1 branch. You can also expect LineageOS 16.0 once 15.1 it's enough stable.

Unfortunately, the Deep Sleep issue is present as well in lineage-15.1. The current list of working/not working features is:
    • Sound - OK.
    • Microphone - OK.
    • Internal Storage (sdcardFS) - OK.
    • External Storage - OK.
    • HW decoding - not working.
    • SW decoding - OK.
    • Photos/Video recording - not working (fair better than nougat).
    • Widevine (DRM) - not working.
    • Wi-Fi - OK.
    • BT - not working.
    Once I get BT and DRM working I'll upload the first beta of lineage-15.1.
    New build is up

2021-08-26
    [douglas] [giza]
    • Updated wpa_supplicant_8 HAL.
    • Now building libwifi-hal-mt66xx.
    • Rebased the kernel source to the latest Amazon sources (Fire_HD8_7th_Gen-5.3.7.3.tar.bz2).
    • Set build characteristics to tablet.
    • Dropped prebuilt lights HAL, now building it.
    • UID_SYS_STATS are fully functional now.
    • [Kernel]: Upstreamed Power/PM drivers.
    Changelog

2021-08-26
    [douglas] [giza]
    • Updated wpa_supplicant_8 HAL.
    • Now building libwifi-hal-mt66xx.
    • Rebased the kernel source to the latest Amazon sources (Fire_HD8_7th_Gen-5.3.7.3.tar.bz2).
    • Set build characteristics to tablet.
    • Dropped prebuilt lights HAL, now building it.
    • UID_SYS_STATS are fully functional now.
    • [KERNEL]: Upstreamed Power/PM drivers.
    2021-08-13 [douglas] [giza]

2021-07-11 [douglas] [giza]
    • Added support for the Fire HD8 2016! (initial common build).
    • Added a lot of performance tweaks to the kernel.
    • Enabled ZRAM (uses LZ4).

2021-06-14
    • Updated vendor blobs to 5.6.8.0.
    • Fixed UID_SYS_STATS (+ performance).
    • Removed audio logcat spam (+ battery life).
    • Limited background processes.
    • Enabled ZRAM.
    • Fixed microphone.
    • Updated Security Patch to 2021-05-05.

2021-01-30
    • Fixed external SDCards.
    2021-01-05
    • Updated Security Patch to DEC 2020.
    • Enabled USB tethering interface (rndis0) in the overlay.
    • Disabled Encryption from Settings.
    • Enabled Doze (Deep Sleep).
    • Enabled offline charging.
    • Introduced libinit.
    2020-11-30
    • Fixed Prime Video and other Amazon apps.
    • Changed product brand to google to pass play-certification.
    • Fixed some out of memory GL crashes (app crashes).
    • Enabled BLE.
    • Some updates related to storage (still not working).
    • Fixed OTAs.
    2020-11-28
    • Fixed Video Playback (SW).
    • Fixed Audio.
    • Disabled Camera (no more battery drains).
    • [KERNEL]: Fixed warning when releasing active sync point.
    2020-11-26
    • Initial Release.
    • Audio is not working at all (due camera).
    • DRM should be working (L1).
    • SDcard does weird stuff.
    • Video Playback is broken aswell (due camera).
    • Volume keys are swapped sometimes.
    New build is up

2021-06-14
    • Updated vendor blobs to 5.6.8.0.
    • Fixed UID_SYS_STATS (+ performance).
    • Removed audio logcat spam (+ battery life).
    • Limited background processes.
    • Enabled ZRAM.
    • Fixed microphone.
    • Updated Security Patch to 2021-05-05.

NOTE: OTA has also been pushed, you should be able to update through the LineageOS (CM) Updater app.