• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] [unlocked] [douglas,giza] [OTAs] Lineage-15.1 [12 SEP 2021]

Search This thread

dontpanic-xda

Oct 13, 2019
New build is up.

2021-09-16 [douglas] [giza]

• Fixed camera.
  • Fixed internal storage (OBB) issues.
NOTE: Video recording isn't working at all, it crashes with the stock camera app but it works with some third-party apps (such as Telegram).
NOTE: Let me know if obb issues are fully gone (I basically reverted the sdcardfs squash update). Try to clean flash the ROM as well before reporting if the bug it's still present.

I think the md5sums on the Top Post are swapped.

I got 333b7050032309695134abbf2830ea15 on lineage-15.1-20210916-UNOFFICIAL-douglas.zip.

kacboy

Sep 18, 2021
Hey @Rortiz2

Big fan

Been lurking for several months, finally made an account. Just updated my douglas to from 14 to 15 a couple days ago. Can't thank you enough for your work making this old tablet usable again.

My biggest wish would be for alarms to go off through the speakers even when headphones are plugged in. I haven't been able to do so with either of your roms.

I will continue looking forward to your updates :)

Reactions: mh1983

kasumiii

Sep 13, 2021
Awesome
New build is up.

• Fixed camera.
NOTE: Video recording isn't working at all, it crashes with the stock camera app but it works with some third-party apps (such as Telegram).
NOTE: Let me know if obb issues are fully gone (I basically reverted the sdcardfs squash update). Try to clean flash the ROM as well before reporting if the bug it's still present.
I can confirm OBB Bug is finally gone thanks for the fix. The download in Google Chrome dont work. Camera works so far but its kinda too dark and light is to white. Its still awesome that we have a working Camera now.The Tablet is far more enjoyable with those Rom , before it was only in the eck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rortiz2

gqbigpaps

Sep 28, 2020
Not aure it ifs an isolated xase bit since the last update netflix is stuck on portrait mode until a video is played. When backed out from the video it reverts back to being in portrait mode.

mh1983

Nov 5, 2012
Haven't posted on the forums in awhile but wanted to log in to say THANK YOU for this great rom! I still can't quite believe Oreo runs on my wife's 2017 Fire8 HD (Douglas), and runs really well. Really appreciate all the work.

Questions about battery/charging. The tablet seemed to exhibit erratic charging behaviour at times on the stock FireOS (charges just fine and fairly rapidly one day, doesn't charge at all the next). My hope is that the custom ROM fixes this or mitigates the symptoms somewhat. So far, it seems like it's charging steadily, albeit slowly (on a 5V 1.35 Mah charger, tested w/ multiple cables). Is this a known issue or is it likely due to the aging device/faulty charge port? Would working deep sleep help speed up charging?

Last but not least, is there a way I can donate something as a thank you for your efforts?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Haven't posted on the forums in awhile but wanted to log in to say THANK YOU for this great rom! I still can't quite believe Oreo runs on my wife's 2017 Fire8 HD (Douglas), and runs really well. Really appreciate all the work.

Questions about battery/charging. The tablet seemed to exhibit erratic charging behaviour at times on the stock FireOS (charges just fine and fairly rapidly one day, doesn't charge at all the next). My hope is that the custom ROM fixes this or mitigates the symptoms somewhat. So far, it seems like it's charging steadily, albeit slowly (on a 5V 1.35 Mah charger, tested w/ multiple cables). Is this a known issue or is it likely due to the aging device/faulty charge port? Would working deep sleep help speed up charging?

Last but not least, is there a way I can donate something as a thank you for your efforts?

Thanks again!
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the ROM :)

I'm not sure if that's your tablet's fault since I've never bothered in checking the charging speed. I'll try to monitor charging in my tablet as well.

If you want to buy me a cup of coffee you can do it through paypal.me/rorle :)

Regards.

Reactions: kasumiii and mh1983

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Oh, when not connected via USB to any devices the option in Settings is greyed out and disabled. When I connect it to my Windows computer, the option is enabled, but when I press it it simply turns on and off immediately.
Great 16 Sept. update.
You're right, I just checked and it automatically turns off when you toggle the USB Tethering option. This is weird since I remember getting it to work at some point. I'll try to fix this, thanks for the report.

Reactions: roomer11

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
It seems camera doesn't work in Open Camera or Google Camera.
If you're talking about Video Recording, yeah that's expected I guess (since even the stock camera was crashing as well). If you're talking about normal pictures, then something it's wrong with your installation (wouldn't surprise me, since you already tried to change SELinux to Enforcing in the past, lmao).

If you're talking about Video Recording, yeah that's expected I guess (since even the stock camera was crashing as well). If you're talking about normal pictures, then something it's wrong with your installation (wouldn't surprise me, since you already tried to change SELinux to Enforcing in the past, lmao).
That installation was nuked before. I reinstalled it in the past and didn't bother to change selinux again. I might try to reinstall the rom because I installed the camera update via OTA

gqbigpaps

Sep 28, 2020
Could be because of the latest update since I had to update libdpframework.so. However, I can't debug that since I don't own a Netflix account.
For those who experieced the same bug it seems to fix the problem if you go into the display setting amd fiddle around with the screen resolutions a few times between making it bi gamd small. Now landscape mode is working again in netflix!!

@Rortiz2 What would be needed to get hw video?

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
For those who experieced the same bug it seems to fix the problem if you go into the display setting amd fiddle around with the screen resolutions a few times between making it bi gamd small. Now landscape mode is working again in netflix!!

@Rortiz2 What would be needed to get hw video?
I see, thanks for pointing that out, I'll add a link to your post in the OP as a side-note for those who have Netflix issues (though nobody else reported such issues).

HW video requires working OMX, and working OMX requires newer kernel drivers and newer OMX libraries. To be honest, fixing OMX can be harder than fixing the camera itself. I still haven't given up with it anyway.

gqbigpaps

Sep 28, 2020
I see, thanks for pointing that out, I'll add a link to your post in the OP as a side-note for those who have Netflix issues (though nobody else reported such issues).

HW video requires working OMX, and working OMX requires newer kernel drivers and newer OMX libraries. To be honest, fixing OMX can be harder than fixing the camera itself. I still haven't given up with it anyway.
That sounds like toomuch work. :) I was kinda hoping to get hw video for 720p60 videos in youtube cuz they seems to lag abit amd i am too lazy to switch it to 480 manually but i am pretty much content with the state of 15.1. Good work mate!

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
That sounds like toomuch work. :) I was kinda hoping to get hw video for 720p60 videos in youtube cuz they seems to lag abit amd i am too lazy to switch it to 480 manually but i am pretty much content with the state of 15.1. Good work mate!
Yes, indeed it is. We can only thank Amazon for not updating this tablet to (at least) Android 7.1. That could have made my life easier. Anyway, I'll focus on OMX once I fix these internal storage/external SD card leftovers and that USB connection error.

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Do you guys use the "Shared Storage" (use external sd card as internal storage) option? This thing depends on sdcardFS and I'm planning to disable sdcardFS since it's causing weird issues with internal storages. Just asking to see if I should try to fix sdcardFS or I should just drop it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New build is up.

2021-10-03 [douglas] [giza]

• Updated vcodec libraries.
    • Fixed internal storage issues (disabled sdcardFS).
    • Removed amazon/mediatek kernel logging.
    • Resolved missing libraries/symbols.
    • Converted audio_effects.conf to audio_effects.xml.
    • Switched back to stock libcam.utils.sensorlistener.so.
    • Introduced Sensors MultiHAL.
    I just installed this for the first time ever on my douglas (bricked > downgrade > LOS > Profit). And I am kicking myself for not doing this sooner. The tablet is unrecognizably fast compared to the garbage FireOS! Thank you @Rortiz2 for all your hard work. This is really superb.
    Yes, indeed it is. We can only thank Amazon for not updating this tablet to (at least) Android 7.1. That could have made my life easier. Anyway, I'll focus on OMX once I fix these internal storage/external SD card leftovers and that USB connection error.
    Little pro tip for the experts out there who still uses RSS (as I do). You can subscribe to https://github.com/mt8163-dev/android_device_amazon_douglas/releases.atom (douglas) or https://github.com/mt8163-dev/android_device_amazon_giza/releases.atom (giza) with you favorite RSS reader and you will never miss a new release by our wonderful and beloved @Rortiz2! You are awesome buddy! :)
    yep, I'll update you if i still get the rotation problem
    used the latest build for 2 days, i haven't encountered the rotation bug, seems like the bug is fixed, goodjob Rortiz and thanks for making a low end 2017 tablet alive in 2021
    320px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8.1.0) for the Amazon Fire HD8 2016/2017

Disclaimer:
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is... still valid?
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
    * in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device. All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. If you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.​

IMPORTANT NOTES BEFORE INSTALLING THE ROM:
    • As usual, you need to be unlocked to install this ROM.
    • This ROM is in beta status so don't expect 100% stable ROM.
    • This ROM is only compatible with the Fire HD8 2017 (douglas) and the Fire HD8 2016 (giza). All questions related to other devices will be reported and ignored.
    KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Hardware Decoding (OMX - 1080p video playback).
    • Video Recording with stock camera (Snap).
    • Deep Sleep.
    INSTALLATION:
    • Boot to TWRP.
    • Wipe system, cache and userdata.
    • Install the ROM zip.
    • (OPTIONAL): Flash G-Apps package.
    • (OPTIONAL): Flash root (Magisk/SuperSU).
    • Wipe Dalvik Cache.
    • Reboot and enjoy!
    DOWNLOADS:
    Source Code:
    Special Thanks:
    New build is up.

• Fixed camera.
    New build is up.

2021-10-03 [douglas] [giza]

• Updated vcodec libraries.
    • Fixed internal storage issues (disabled sdcardFS).
    • Removed amazon/mediatek kernel logging.
    • Resolved missing libraries/symbols.
    • Converted audio_effects.conf to audio_effects.xml.
    • Switched back to stock libcam.utils.sensorlistener.so.
    • Introduced Sensors MultiHAL.
    Camera fixed (through buggy as ****)
    1631729671646.png
    New build is up.

2021-09-07 [douglas] [giza]

• Fixed volume keys (kvolcb takes care of them now).
    • Fixed external storage permissions (sdcardfs).
    • Enabled "show internal storage by default" in File Explorer.
    • Added option to reboot to hacked bootloader using ADB (reboot-amonet).
    • Disabled the update recovery function (Developer Settings).
    • Extended support for {OTG,ext SDs} formats.