[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][8.1] LineageOS 15.1 for Amazon Fire HD8 7/6th gen (douglas/giza)

Search This thread

Tensa.53

Jun 17, 2018
Hi,

Unfortunately I haven't included the MicroG patch into this ROM. I'll include it in the next update.

Regards.
Hi thank you for all your hard work,i will really appreciate to enable the microg support in the next build without the need using Xposed or Magisk. So I'll take an eye on the next release (are there OTAs ?) and thank you again

Edit : Oh i have another question,is the HW acceleration for 1080p videos broken on all ROMS (including Slimlp,LOS12.1,14.1) or just in this one ?

Last edited:
  • Are you using douglas (2017 version) or giza (2016 version)?
  • So, exFat SD cards never worked in lineage-14.1 either?
  • I thought WiFi drops were solved long time ago (when I switched to prebuilt MTK WiFi HAL), are you using 5GHz networks?
  • Oh sorry, should have mentioned, douglas (2017)
  • exFat did not work on one of the first few builds of lineage-14.1. But it worked later after an update, don't remember which. I think I had posted a comment in that thread too at the time, but I think you had already patched it by the next update, let me go look that up.
  • Hmm. I am using 5GHz. I just tried rebooting my modem and routers (should have tried this in the first place). I still have some drops, but downloading is much better, I could install apps this time.

Quick question, what file system does this rom format your SD card to? iirc it uses FAT32. I remember having trouble copying a video file greater than 4GB in the past. I just reverted back to FireOS last night, because I wanted to check something, and noticed FireOS uses exFAT for SD cards.

I remember the rom not recognizing my old SD card because that was exFAT, so i formatted it from the storage settings tab, and it formatted to FAT32.
This was July 7th 2021. So one of the roms before that. Because I went back to lineage after this comment and exFat worked. So you had already fixed that, I just didn't know it. I may have been using a January build of lineage-14 when I encountered this initially I guess.

But now exFat is not working for me on the latest lineage-15 build.

Rortiz2

Hi thank you for all your hard work,i will really appreciate to enable the microg support in the next build without the need using Xposed or Magisk. So I'll take an eye on the next release (are there OTAs ?) and thank you again

Edit : Oh i have another question,is the HW acceleration for 1080p videos broken on all ROMS (including Slimlp,LOS12.1,14.1) or just in this one ?
HW acceleration only works in Android 5.1 based ROMs (LOS 12.1 and SlimLP).

Rortiz2

This was July 7th 2021. So one of the roms before that. Because I went back to lineage after this comment and exFat worked. So you had already fixed that, I just didn't know it. I may have been using a January build of lineage-14 when I encountered this initially I guess.

But now exFat is not working for me on the latest lineage-15 build.
Alright, thanks for the information. I guess I'll need to update the exFat kernel driver.

pom532

Aug 19, 2008
Anyone else having difficulty charging sometimes? Sometimes it charges fine, other times it still drops when plugged in (especially when it's below 50%).

mh1983

Nov 5, 2012
Anyone else having difficulty charging sometimes? Sometimes it charges fine, other times it still drops when plugged in (especially when it's below 50%).
Yes, big time. We try everything: different cables, chargers, positions for the tablet. I even took it apart and tried this fix:

Improved things a bit but it's still finicky. Seems like a known issue with these tablets. (Nothing to do with this awesome custom rom, of course, as I observed this issue on the old FireOS stock rom too.)

Last edited:

pashtun

Apr 26, 2012
Just installed this to replace the older SlimOS that I had previously installed on the tablet. All seems good but I get a 'Trust - System security' notification every time I reboot the tablet saying 'SELinux is not enforcing, your security has been weakened' - is this normal? Is there a fix? Many thanks.

Rortiz2

Just installed this to replace the older SlimOS that I had previously installed on the tablet. All seems good but I get a 'Trust - System security' notification every time I reboot the tablet saying 'SELinux is not enforcing, your security has been weakened' - is this normal? Is there a fix? Many thanks.
Yes, that's an expected behavior since SELinux is configured in permissive mode (temporarily, until all bugs and policies are fixed). You can either disable Trust, disable its notifications or ignore them.

moore.bryan

Apr 26, 2011
Thanks for all your hard work and time you put in on this @Rortiz2!

Can I assume the inability to playback videos—be that in HBO, Netflix, or FuboTV—without them being choppy as all get out is related to the known "Hardware Decoding (OMX - 1080p video playback" issue?

Rortiz2

Thanks for all your hard work and time you put in on this @Rortiz2!

Can I assume the inability to playback videos—be that in HBO, Netflix, or FuboTV—without them being choppy as all get out is related to the known "Hardware Decoding (OMX -080p video playback" issue?
I guess so, I never tried streaming apps personally since I don't have accounts to do so.

Reactions: moore.bryan

moore.bryan

Apr 26, 2011
I'm reinstalling your Lineage 14.1 to see if it's there, but I'm also willing to come back to 15.1 and troubleshoot if you are willing to walk me through it.

Rortiz2

I'm reinstalling your Lineage 14.1 to see if it's there, but I'm also willing to come back to 15.1 and troubleshoot if you are willing to walk me through it.
Hi,

Thanks for your interest, I will let you know if I need some people to test me these streaming apps.

No, the bug is also present on LineageOS 14.1 (it has never been fixed in ROMs that are Android 6 or newer).

Unfortunately, as I have mentioned a lot of times, fixing OMX will be the hardest part since we're using outdated Android Lollipop (5.1) proprietary blobs.

I have found a possible solution for this problem, but it will take me some time to fully fix it since I need to upgrade the OMX stack to Android 8.1 (and probably the graphics stack + the kernel drivers).

I've also updated a lot of stuff since the latest release of the ROM (and I still have a lot of work to do before releasing the next version of lineage-15.1).

moore.bryan

Apr 26, 2011
What I should have wrote was that I was reinstalling because it isn't there; that is, I was using 14.1 before upgrading to 15.1 and there was no choppiness... And that leads me to believe it might have nothing to do with the OMX piece.

Again, thanks for helping to keep this device relevant!

Rortiz2

What I should have wrote was that I was reinstalling because it isn't there; that is, I was using 14.1 before upgrading to 15.1 and there was no choppiness... And that leads me to believe it might have nothing to do with the OMX piece.

Again, thanks for helping to keep this device relevant!
I see, I guess it isn't related at all with OMX then. Would you mind getting logs from both 14.1 and 15.1?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1607247455067-png.5435845

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.
    Instructions:
    • Reboot to recovery mode
    • Wipe data, system (/system_root) and cache
    • Flash the ROM and the Gapps
    • Reboot and enjoy!
    Downloads:
    Reporting Bugs:
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    Known issues:
    • Deep sleep (Doze)
    • Hardware decoding (OMX)
    • Camera (both photos/videos) isn't working on giza
    • Can't connect to hidden SSIDs
    Notes:
    • SELinux is in Permissive mode
    • The ROM only supports both douglas (Fire HD8 2017) and giza (Fire HD8 2016)
    How do i...
    • Unlock and install TWRP?
      • Follow the instructions of the unlock thread (douglas | giza)
    • Go back to the original/stock ROM?
      • Download the stock update.bin (douglas | giza) and flash it using TWRP
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
    restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

Contributors
    R0rt1z2, FreakyyLike (for the douglas donation)
    Source Code: https://github.com/mt8163-dev
    Kernel source: https://github.com/mt8163-dev/android_kernel_amazon_mt8163
    Quick update; I'll probably release the latest version of 15.1 soon with some fixes and I'll continue working on 18.1 as I already started making the trees.​
    New build is up.

2021-10-31 [douglas] [giza]

• Resolved missing {drm,omx} symbols ({TimedEventQueue,EVP}).
    • Added MicroG support (Signature Spoofing).
    • Added exFAT support (included new kernel driver).
    • Fixed audio stream (amazon proprietary libraries).
    • Added GPU Extension Device ("GED") support.
    • Updated the security patch to October 2021.
    PS: Happy Halloween!
    Good news! 17.1 is almost as stable as 15.1! (even camera works).

I'll fix a few bugs and upload the first (public) beta shortly (as well the sources).
    Good news to everyone. I partially fixed HW decoding (and this includes Video Recording) ;)

EDIT: It fully works now