Aug 31, 2020
320px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2) for the Amazon Fire HD8 2017

Disclaimer:
Code:
/*
* Your warranty is... still valid?
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
* or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
* Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
* in the products you find here before flashing it!
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
*/

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device. All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. If you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.​

IMPORTANT NOTES BEFORE INSTALLING THE ROM:
  • As usual, you need to be unlocked to install this ROM. If you're not unlocked, check out this thread.
  • This ROM is in beta status so don't expect 100% stable ROM.
  • This ROM is only compatible with the Fire HD8 2017 (douglas). All questions related to other devices will be reported and ignored.
KNOWN ISSUES:
  • Hardware Decoding is not working (OMX - 1080p video playback).
  • Volume keys behave weirdly.
  • Photos/Video recordings aren't working.
  • Encryption (Disabled).
INSTALLATION:
  • Boot to TWRP.
  • Wipe system, cache and userdata.
  • Install the ROM zip.
  • (OPTIONAL): Flash G-Apps package.
  • (OPTIONAL): Flash root (Magisk/SuperSU).
  • Wipe Dalvik Cache.
  • Reboot and enjoy!
DOWNLOADS:
Source Code:
Special Thanks:

XDA:DevDB Information
LineageOS 14.1 for the Amazon Fire HD8 2017, ROM for the Amazon Fire HD 8 2017

Contributors
Rortiz2
ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
ROM Firmware Required: Unlocked bootloader + TWRP
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
Beta
Current Beta Version: 5
Beta Release Date: 2020-11-26

Created 2020-11-26
Last Updated 2021-01-30
I don't know if it's just me getring stability issues even with the android low ram patch but maybe work on fixing the stability in the next update if possible?

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
I don't know if it's just me getring stability issues even with the android low ram patch but maybe work on fixing the stability in the next update if possible?
I'm not sure what do you mean with stability issues. I thought those were fixed long time ago when I re-enabled low memory killer. Could you be more precise and at least provide some kernel logs?

brjhaverkamp

Dec 27, 2010
I don't know. Probably something is different between SlimLP and LineageOS source code (fw/av, fw/native, fw/base). I never bothered about looking into the main difference that fixed camera.
Still, it would be great to have a functioning camera:) Hope there is someone who can dive in the difference and find a clue?

SamDungUser

Aug 31, 2020
I'm not sure what do you mean with stability issues. I thought those were fixed long time ago when I re-enabled low memory killer. Could you be more precise and at least provide some kernel logs?
Now that I think about it the minor slow downs and painful game experience could be hardware related, well FireOS had more slowdowns but game worked fine I really dont know what they did. Maybe optimizations?

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Now that I think about it the minor slow downs and painful game experience could be hardware related, well FireOS had more slowdowns but game worked fine I really dont know what they did. Maybe optimizations?
I guess you need to keep in mind that we are talking about a low-end 100 eur tablet made by Amazon running a MediaTek MT8163 CPU (1.5GB RAM). I still don't understand what do you mean by optimizations. In the next build I'll try to enable swap and will add a few properties to see if it runs smoother.

SamDungUser

Aug 31, 2020
I guess you need to keep in mind that we are talking about a low-end 100 eur tablet made by Amazon running a MediaTek MT8163 CPU (1.5GB RAM). I still don't understand what do you mean by optimizations. In the next build I'll try to enable swap and will add a few properties to see if it runs smoother.
Optimizations that can maybe help it run faster. Enabling swap might do that! When the next update comes out I'll probably see if overall performance is better.

mcgi5sr2

Oct 15, 2012
Sheffield
Still, it would be great to have a functioning camera:) Hope there is someone who can dive in the difference and find a clue?
I recall when I used to build SlimLP for the i9300 we had a host of framework/av changes and more, would be a real task to fish through them all and see what might be affecting it.

I am guessing that you have already diff'd the device trees Rortiz2 and found nothing significant.

Just about to to try this ROM on my douglas, absolutley stoked to be rid of fireOS!!!

Will reply if owt seems amiss, and will ensure I put logs etc

xenonrider

Dec 17, 2011
I've installed Magisk and have root, but any module I install doesn't seem to work. Is there something special required to getting Magisk modules to work correctly on this ROM?

pecacheu

May 9, 2021
Hi. I'm new here.

This is an awesome ROM that gave new life to my Fire HD 8. But I have one kind of bummer issue (well besides the known camera issue), which is that the mic doesn't work at all. Which sucks because it means that while I can install Google Assistant, it's effectively useless.

Can't control my smart lights which I was hoping to be able to do, to treat this thing like a Google Home type thing on a stand and all. (Like the Amazon Show Mode feature, except that Alexa sucks)

The other thing that's kinda lame is that there's no Picture-in-Picture mode support, but AFAIK that's because it seems to be running Android 7 and not Android 8 or up... Any way this could be upgraded to a newer version of Lineage OS or would that basically break everything?

EDIT: Seems like I can't get root installed either. Tried installing through TWRP using the latest SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip, but it's just not showing up when I reboot. If I install the app from the Play Store it just says I'm not rooted.

Last edited:

pecacheu

May 9, 2021
Update: I got root to work, it required a wipe/factory reset, then using TWRP to flash Magisk to the system before completing setup, now it works great. I also found a work-around/hack for Picture-in-Picture on Android 7, bit finicky but it works.

Overall I'm really loving this thing. The only bummers are the camera not working (yeah I know it's a garbage webcam anyway, but it's still useful for scanning QR codes), and more importantly, mic not working so no Google Assistant.

Still, this is a wonderful ROM that actually gives some genuine value to Amazon's... honestly irresponsible business model with these Kindle tablets that are basically designed from the get-go to do nothing but track you and serve you ads, then be thrown away to further contribute to e-waste... Which is exactly what my friend was gonna do with this Fire HD 8 before I said "Wait, let me have that, maybe I can hack that thing."

And that's something that's really awesome about this whole forum, frankly.

Last edited:
Reactions: koop1955

mcgi5sr2

Oct 15, 2012
Sheffield
@Rortiz2

hi hi, trying to build from source, but its been a while. Followed your repo instructions but getting a compile error.

Switched to openjdk8 as I seem to recall that was the right java version for compilation.

Any advice here would be cool thanks

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
@Rortiz2

hi hi, trying to build from source, but its been a while. Followed your repo instructions but getting a compile error.

Switched to openjdk8 as I seem to recall that was the right java version for compilation.

Any advice here would be cool thanks
I can't help you if I don't know your issue. Please at least provide something relevant to debug your problem (i.e: build log).

cache.return

May 25, 2021
I've flashed this and it works really well. Thanks for all the hard work. The battery drain on standby is problematic for me. Do I understand correctly that this is not an issue in 12.1? Should I downgrade, or is there a possible fix in the works?

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
I've flashed this and it works really well. Thanks for all the hard work. The battery drain on standby is problematic for me. Do I understand correctly that this is not an issue in 12.1? Should I downgrade, or is there a possible fix in the works?
That's correct. Battery drain issue isn't present on 12.1.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New build is up

2021-06-14
    • Updated vendor blobs to 5.6.8.0.
    • Fixed UID_SYS_STATS (+ performance).
    • Removed audio logcat spam (+ battery life).
    • Limited background processes.
    • Enabled ZRAM.
    • Fixed microphone.
    • Updated Security Patch to 2021-05-05.
    • Synced with LineageOS sources (cm-14.1).

NOTE: OTA has also been pushed, you should be able to update through the LineageOS (CM) Updater app.
    @Rortiz2 you latest build is 20210105, yet the changelog states a more recent one, and the device trees show updates as recent as 20210317. Any chance you could make a build and drop it on AFH?

Apologies still not had the time to resync sources
    I will do a new build today
    Very few people views this tread? Second report about compilation. If you comment out the line for non-existing header file, the compilation continues. But you will be stopped with the next error (apparently they are trying to fix cpu frequency issue).

/media/AICP/kernel/amazon/douglas/kernel/sched/core.c:1952:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'cpufreq_task_stats_init' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    cpufreq_task_stats_init(p);
    ^

If you are not a dev (so am I), better wait until the kernel source be updated.
    Sorry, that was my fault. I tried adding support for UID_SYS_STATS but probably some of the changes caused conflicts. Now everything should be fixed and UID_SYS_STATS should already work.
    Very few people views this tread? Second report about compilation. If you comment out the line for non-existing header file, the compilation continues. But you will be stopped with the next error (apparently they are trying to fix cpu frequency issue).

/media/AICP/kernel/amazon/douglas/kernel/sched/core.c:1952:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'cpufreq_task_stats_init' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    cpufreq_task_stats_init(p);
    ^

If you are not a dev (so am I), better wait until the kernel source be updated.
    320px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2) for the Amazon Fire HD8 2017

Disclaimer:
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is... still valid?
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
    * in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device. All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. If you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.​

IMPORTANT NOTES BEFORE INSTALLING THE ROM:
    • As usual, you need to be unlocked to install this ROM. If you're not unlocked, check out this thread.
    • This ROM is in beta status so don't expect 100% stable ROM.
    • This ROM is only compatible with the Fire HD8 2017 (douglas). All questions related to other devices will be reported and ignored.
    KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Hardware Decoding is not working (OMX - 1080p video playback).
    • Volume keys behave weirdly.
    • Photos/Video recordings aren't working.
    • Encryption (Disabled).
    INSTALLATION:
    • Boot to TWRP.
    • Wipe system, cache and userdata.
    • Install the ROM zip.
    • (OPTIONAL): Flash G-Apps package.
    • (OPTIONAL): Flash root (Magisk/SuperSU).
    • Wipe Dalvik Cache.
    • Reboot and enjoy!
    DOWNLOADS:
    Source Code:
    Special Thanks:

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 14.1 for the Amazon Fire HD8 2017, ROM for the Amazon Fire HD 8 2017

Contributors
    Rortiz2
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Unlocked bootloader + TWRP
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Beta
    Current Beta Version: 5
    Beta Release Date: 2020-11-26

Created 2020-11-26
    Last Updated 2021-06-14
    Changelog

2021-06-14
    • Enabled ZRAM.
    • Fixed microphone.

2021-01-30
    • Fixed external SDCards.
    2021-01-05
    • Updated Security Patch to DEC 2020.
    • Enabled USB tethering interface (rndis0) in the overlay.
    • Disabled Encryption from Settings.
    • Enabled Doze (Deep Sleep).
    • Enabled offline charging.
    • Introduced libinit.
    2020-11-30
    • Fixed Prime Video and other Amazon apps.
    • Changed product brand to google to pass play-certification.
    • Fixed some out of memory GL crashes (app crashes).
    • Enabled BLE.
    • Some updates related to storage (still not working).
    • Fixed OTAs.
    2020-11-28
    • Fixed Video Playback (SW).
    • Fixed Audio.
    • Disabled Camera (no more battery drains).
    • [KERNEL]: Fixed warning when releasing active sync point.
    2020-11-26
    • Initial Release.
    • Audio is not working at all (due camera).
    • DRM should be working (L1).
    • SDcard does weird stuff.
    • Video Playback is broken aswell (due camera).
    • Volume keys are swapped sometimes.
    New build is up

2021-01-30
    • Fixed external SDCards.
    New build is up

2021-06-14
    • Enabled ZRAM.
    • Fixed microphone.

NOTE: OTA has also been pushed, you should be able to update through the LineageOS (CM) Updater app.
    Ok, sdcard issue is fixed, we'll do final tests and if all goes ok will release new version today.
    If you want to try the "fix" flash this boot image using TWRP (to boot partition). If you use Hacked Fastboot flash it to boot_x.