[ROM] [unlocked] [douglas,giza] [OTAs] Lineage-14.1 [26 JUL 2021]

Search This thread

Rortiz2

Thanks! Battery life is trending better than the last build - maybe 3 days of idle compared to a little over 1. Still different than your 12.1 build which was more like 30 days. Edit: Just noticed I had left the new install at "WIFI Always On". I'll see if turning it off while asleep brings it to parity. Edit2: No, no change

Has somethings changed to make encryption less possible now than in 12.1? I've been running your builds with encryption on for a couple years and it's been fine, except that TWRP can't mount /data which I think blocks magisk, from installing; no big deal for me. (though incidentally, I found and then lost an xda thread for another MTK device where someone made the changes to a private TWRP branch to get it to decrypt /data. I wonder if those could be ported to this device?)
Sorry I missed this message. So you're saying decryption always worked? Well bruh.. I thought it was broken (or at least somebody reported that) so I disabled it as it's a big mess to fix up (in mediatek devices). I don't think I can port those changes to TWRP as that would require an update in the amonet thread.

pindus

Oct 10, 2008
Rome
Ok, sdcard issue is fixed, we'll do final tests and if all goes ok will release new version today.
If you want to try the "fix" flash this boot image using TWRP (to boot partition). If you use Hacked Fastboot flash it to boot_x.

I flashed the image and now syncthing can access the SD card. Read only, but this is an Android-Syncthing issue, nothing to do with the ROM

Many many thanks...

--
ciao

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
Good day,
Now we can use SD-card by applying boot_sdcard.img. Great, but I think battery drain increased. For checking I attached a log. Scenario is very simple, reboot, play a music on sdcard, then view a picture file in sdcard, finish. I hope the attached file might help solve the deep sleep issue.

Cheers,

Edit: The huge battery drain problem was occurred with AICP (my build with the latest device tree that enabled sdcard access). If this issue does not happen in LOS14.1, ignore this article. The log attached is with LOS14.1 to make it sure.

Attachments

• sd_check.zip
    153.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

pom532

Aug 19, 2008
The tablet seems so much more responsive running 14.1 than on 12.1. Only thing is that a lot of the video apps for my country don't want to work. Would this be a magisk thing or a rom thing?

gqbigpaps

Sep 28, 2020
This seems to break compatibility with headunit emulator reloaded. The UI becomes hella slow compared to when running 12.1. Im assuming this is the vifeo decoding issue?

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
My understanding indicates NOT possible. I do not know the real reason but douglas is 64bit while karnak is 32 bit. You can check with requiered gapps. douglas needs arm64, karnak for arm. If compatibility were existent, we can try LOS16.0, even LOS17.1 that are now for karnak.

Cheers,

Reactions: FreakyyLike
What's the point of this? Karnak already has LineageOS 14.1 and even 17.1

Sure, I'm on LineageOS 16 and its works kinda good with some bugs.
But sadly the Developer "Kaijones23" has no time or maybe? abandoned the Project..
And as I see you do a great job in updating for douglas.
I rather have a stable OS then the newest Version.

I just asked out of pure curiosity, because karnak/douglas have the same SOC and look very similar^^

And keep up you good work!:)

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
This is from my curiosity. Comparing douglas and karnak is very interesting (because I do not know the real difference at all). Douglas kernel configuration is in the folder arch/arm64/configs, this is quite natural. Surprisingly in the same folder there is karnak_defconfig. If this config file is in arc/arm/configs, I do not surprize. Karnak is said to be 32 bit, but the kernel is actually 64 bit??? Your answer is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
This is from my curiosity. Comparing douglas and karnak is very interesting (because I do not know the real difference at all). Douglas kernel configuration is in the folder arch/arm64/configs, this is quite natural. Surprisingly in the same folder there is karnak_defconfig. If this config file is in arc/arm/configs, I do not surprize. Karnak is said to be 32 bit, but the kernel is actually 64 bit??? Your answer is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

This is the reply to myself. I found that karnak's kernel is 64bit (at least LOS16.0). In the BoardConfig.mk of device tree, I found:

TARGET_KERNEL_ARCH:=arm64
TARGET_KERNEL_SOURCE:=kernel/amazon/karnak
TARGET_KERNEL_CONFIG := lineageos_karnak_defconfig

Karnak is more complicated than I thought.

simplymiles

Jan 26, 2021
One issue I've ran into with both the Lineageos 12 and 14 roms, is that PS4 controllers can be synced, but don't actually work. When a pair a ps4 controller with my phone, it's able to navigate menus, go back to the homescreen, etc., but with douglas it doesn't seem to be able to control anything and isn't detected in retroarch at all (the main reason I wanna use the PS4 controller with it). I don't know if this issue is specific to just PS4 controllers or more general as I don't have other controllers to test.

Also, I just want to thank you for all the work you've done on this device. Your lineage ports are the main thing that have made me like using my tablet.

varadinum

Sep 16, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Xiaomi Poco F3
Thank you for this work.I haven't used my hd8 in a long time.Now I like to work with it.
Is that the same rom?

lineage-14.1-20210105-UNOFFICIAL-douglas.zip

lineage-14.1-20210123-UNOFFICIAL-douglas.zip

Tanks

Screenshot_20210129-123519.pngScreenshot_20210129-123623.png

Last edited:
I installed the ROM a few days ago and like it a lot! Only small issue is the not working Camera (eg. For zoom meetings) but its not that important.
I tried to monitor the CPU frequency to slow down the discharge in Standby. I just wonder, even if "Inware" and "Kernel Audiutor" shows in idle 1x 600mhz and under heavy load 4x 1300mhz, the Kernel Audiutor is Monitoring 94% of the time 1050mhz.
Is the Monitoring false or the shown frequencies?
(See booth pictures)

Attachments

• IMG_20210129_182615.jpg
    IMG_20210129_182615.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210129_184934.jpg
    IMG_20210129_184934.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

Korin67

Feb 24, 2018
Oh you came to douglas, very nice. Camera issue is known and this is very tough, might be solved the very last. The current big issue is deep sleep. Someone reported douglas shows deep sleep if SD card is not used. Are you trying the latest (0105) ROM with SD card patch or not? My experiment shows even with SD patch applied and remove the SD card, douglas seems not sleep. If I know how to get logcat to show this situation, I immediately do it.

To make sure, under the LOS14.1 (latest and SD card patched, SD card removed), left the douglas more than 10 mins after reboot. The Adiutor shows this image:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210130-093752.png
    Screenshot_20210130-093752.png
    12 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Jakee67nm

Nov 2, 2019

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    320px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2) for the Amazon Fire HD8 2016/2017

Disclaimer:
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is... still valid?
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
    * in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device. All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. If you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.​

IMPORTANT NOTES BEFORE INSTALLING THE ROM:
    • As usual, you need to be unlocked to install this ROM.
    • This ROM is in beta status so don't expect 100% stable ROM.
    • This ROM is only compatible with the Fire HD8 2017 (douglas) and the Fire HD8 2016 (giza). All questions related to other devices will be reported and ignored.
    KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Hardware Decoding is not working (OMX - 1080p video playback).
    • Volume keys behave weirdly.
    • Photos/Video recordings aren't working.
    • Encryption (Disabled).
    INSTALLATION:
    • Boot to TWRP.
    • Wipe system, cache and userdata.
    • Install the ROM zip.
    • (OPTIONAL): Flash G-Apps package.
    • (OPTIONAL): Flash root (Magisk/SuperSU).
    • Wipe Dalvik Cache.
    • Reboot and enjoy!
    DOWNLOADS:
    Source Code:
    Special Thanks:
    • SPECIAL THANKS to @FreakyyLike for donating me douglas.
    • @Lorisson for testing the ROM (douglas).
    • @Iovaduck for testing the ROM (giza).

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 14.1 for the Amazon Fire HD8 2017/2016, ROM for the Amazon Fire HD 8 2017/2016

Contributors
    Rortiz2
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Unlocked bootloader + TWRP
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Beta
    Current Beta Version: 7
    Beta Release Date: 2020-11-26

Created 2020-11-26
    Last Updated 2021-08-13
    Then, LOS14.1 will be discontinued soon?? How about deep sleep issue on LOS15.1?
    Well, if I get the same status as nougat, I guess I'll discontinue it yeah. Not to mention that LineageOS stopped pushing security patches to the cm-14.1 branch. You can also expect LineageOS 16.0 once 15.1 it's enough stable.

Unfortunately, the Deep Sleep issue is present as well in lineage-15.1. The current list of working/not working features is:
    • Sound - OK.
    • Microphone - OK.
    • Internal Storage (sdcardFS) - OK.
    • External Storage - OK.
    • HW decoding - not working.
    • SW decoding - OK.
    • Photos/Video recording - not working (fair better than nougat).
    • Widevine (DRM) - not working.
    • Wi-Fi - OK.
    • BT - not working.
    Once I get BT and DRM working I'll upload the first beta of lineage-15.1.
    New build is up

2021-08-26
    [douglas] [giza]
    • Updated wpa_supplicant_8 HAL.
    • Now building libwifi-hal-mt66xx.
    • Rebased the kernel source to the latest Amazon sources (Fire_HD8_7th_Gen-5.3.7.3.tar.bz2).
    • Set build characteristics to tablet.
    • Dropped prebuilt lights HAL, now building it.
    • UID_SYS_STATS are fully functional now.
    • [Kernel]: Upstreamed Power/PM drivers.
    • Synced with LineageOS sources (cm-14.1).
    NOTE: OTA should roll out in a few minutes. If it doesn't, you can always update by manually flashing the ZIP through TWRP.
    Changelog

2021-08-26
    [douglas] [giza]
    • Updated wpa_supplicant_8 HAL.
    • Now building libwifi-hal-mt66xx.
    • Rebased the kernel source to the latest Amazon sources (Fire_HD8_7th_Gen-5.3.7.3.tar.bz2).
    • Set build characteristics to tablet.
    • Dropped prebuilt lights HAL, now building it.
    • UID_SYS_STATS are fully functional now.
    • [KERNEL]: Upstreamed Power/PM drivers.
    2021-08-13 [douglas] [giza]
    • Fixed WebView crashes (Chrome should work).
    • Spoofed Fingerprint (uses Pixel XL's fingerprint now).
    • Increased ZRAM to 786MB (+250MB ~).
    • Dropped deprecated dhpcd.

2021-07-11 [douglas] [giza]
    • Added support for the Fire HD8 2016! (initial common build).
    • Added a lot of performance tweaks to the kernel.
    • Enabled ZRAM (uses LZ4).

2021-06-14
    • Updated vendor blobs to 5.6.8.0.
    • Fixed UID_SYS_STATS (+ performance).
    • Removed audio logcat spam (+ battery life).
    • Limited background processes.
    • Enabled ZRAM.
    • Fixed microphone.
    • Updated Security Patch to 2021-05-05.

2021-01-30
    • Fixed external SDCards.
    2021-01-05
    • Updated Security Patch to DEC 2020.
    • Enabled USB tethering interface (rndis0) in the overlay.
    • Disabled Encryption from Settings.
    • Enabled Doze (Deep Sleep).
    • Enabled offline charging.
    • Introduced libinit.
    2020-11-30
    • Fixed Prime Video and other Amazon apps.
    • Changed product brand to google to pass play-certification.
    • Fixed some out of memory GL crashes (app crashes).
    • Enabled BLE.
    • Some updates related to storage (still not working).
    • Fixed OTAs.
    2020-11-28
    • Fixed Video Playback (SW).
    • Fixed Audio.
    • Disabled Camera (no more battery drains).
    • [KERNEL]: Fixed warning when releasing active sync point.
    2020-11-26
    • Initial Release.
    • Audio is not working at all (due camera).
    • DRM should be working (L1).
    • SDcard does weird stuff.
    • Video Playback is broken aswell (due camera).
    • Volume keys are swapped sometimes.
    New build is up

2021-06-14
    • Updated vendor blobs to 5.6.8.0.
    • Fixed UID_SYS_STATS (+ performance).
    • Removed audio logcat spam (+ battery life).
    • Limited background processes.
    • Enabled ZRAM.
    • Fixed microphone.
    • Updated Security Patch to 2021-05-05.

NOTE: OTA has also been pushed, you should be able to update through the LineageOS (CM) Updater app.