• Lineage-16.0

Votes: 204 92.7%
  • Lineage-15.1

Votes: 16 7.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
↑↑ This faux narrative remains largely innaccurate yet continues to be pushed by a small but vocal community. FireOS and surrounding frameworks have strengths and limitations as do other ROMs. Performance and battery life are not inherent deficits in v6 once offend apps are disabled. Same as any other ROM. Individual negative experiences with FireOS do not withstand the reality test.

No doubt there will be a furious response by those seeking to defend the low ground. Stay the course; base decisions on which ROM to use on relevant facts. It is nice to have options.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
3 - I googled "Titanium Android" and lot of variety stuff came up -
Is there a RELIABLE CREDIBLE (new to Android clickbait) article that reviews / compares this Titanium and competing top guns for Backup/Recovery?
>> This would be the non partition/ file based Granular stuff.
In general you'll find file based backup/recovery/archive tools for Android to be less prevelant and feature rich than desktop equivalents. Consumers are mainly interested in preserving/syncing personal content such as music and photos. Tools like Google Drive fill that niche nicely.

formerglory

Jul 24, 2007
if you want a slow performing battery drainer stick with Fire OS (regardless of what people like to claim you can't remove the worst bloatware without causing a bootloop or causing it to use 99% of the cpu constantly as a side effect such as Alexa ) if you want better performance and longer battery life use lineage 14.1

This is patently false and is a false narrative as someone else said before me. I have multiple Fire tablets, one running this ROM and others running rooted stock. The stock Fire OS has far better battery once you disable a few of the Amazon apps, and doesn't have issues like Wifi refusing to work if Bluetooth isn't disabled.

There are far more quirks with LOS than the stock Fire OS ROM, by far. While I love and appreciate the efforts that all the devs do, let's not dump on Fire OS needlessly. Out of the box, it's bloated, but with a few ADB commands (that don't even need root), it becomes a significantly better experience.

I have two Fire HD 10 tablets running stock ROMs, the 2017 and 2019, both with root. They last for DAYS on a stock ROM with most of the Amazon apps easily disabled.

deathblade200

Jun 25, 2012
This is patently false and is a false narrative as someone else said before me. I have multiple Fire tablets, one running this ROM and others running rooted stock. The stock Fire OS has far better battery once you disable a few of the Amazon apps, and doesn't have issues like Wifi refusing to work if Bluetooth isn't disabled.

There are far more quirks with LOS than the stock Fire OS ROM, by far. While I love and appreciate the efforts that all the devs do, let's not dump on Fire OS needlessly. Out of the box, it's bloated, but with a few ADB commands (that don't even need root), it becomes a significantly better experience.

I have two Fire HD 10 tablets running stock ROMs, the 2017 and 2019, both with root. They last for DAYS on a stock ROM with most of the Amazon apps easily disabled.

not only is your statement made inaccurate based on the fact your not even using the same device or even same rom as I am (lineage is of course going to vary in performance and battery life based on device and developer) but you and devil boy (especially him he has such a hard on for Fire OS) seem to love to ignore the fact you can't remove the worse bloatware such as Alexa without it causing worse issues. Lineage on my Fire HD 8 lasts days as well and has far superior performance in everything from loading apps to playing games and even emulators have much better performance. when I first got my Fire I tried the whole remove all bloatware thing and removed everything possible without causing issues. then I tried lineage and saw its FAR superior performance especially when I was using TWRP to go between them to make sure I copied every app I had over to Lineage. hell even watching videos on youtube/xfinity/prime video/mx player etc Lineage lasts me a day on full brightness (anybody who claims they can get more than a day on any rom with the screen on is just lying out their ass) while Fire OS was lucky to get around 7-8 hours. so I really wish people would stop acting like Fire OS is something that it isn't

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
not only is your statement made inaccurate based on the fact your not even using the same device or even same rom as I am (lineage is of course going to vary in performance and battery life based on device and developer) but you and devil boy (especially him he has such a hard on for Fire OS) seem to love to ignore the fact you can't remove the worse bloatware such as Alexa without it causing worse issues. Lineage on my Fire HD 8 lasts days as well and has far superior performance in everything from loading apps to playing games and even emulators have much better performance. when I first got my Fire I tried the whole remove all bloatware thing and removed everything possible without causing issues. then I tried lineage and saw its FAR superior performance especially when I was using TWRP to go between them to make sure I copied every app I had over to Lineage. hell even watching videos on youtube/xfinity/prime video/mx player etc Lineage lasts me a day on full brightness (anybody who claims they can get more than a day on any rom with the screen on is just lying out their ass) while Fire OS was lucky to get around 7-8 hours. so I really wish people would stop acting like Fire OS is something that it isn't
Sigh - seen this show before: data point = 1, my world is word, everyone else is wrong. Savvy readers know better than to consume this BS at face value.

crashnburnMDA

May 31, 2006
Texas
In general you'll find file based backup/recovery/archive tools for Android to be less prevelant and feature rich than desktop equivalents. Consumers are mainly interested in preserving/syncing personal content such as music and photos. Tools like Google Drive fill that niche nicely.

Yes but general consumers are not the crowd who frequent XDA etc (for Android) or Jailbreaking forums (for iPhone). I am not trying for Windows desktop equivalent but
iPhone extension equivalent tools for Android (I figure there'd be more).
e.g. iMazing allows FULL or Selective App backups - App Data etc.
If Jailbroken, there are tools for App Data backup & restore.

Very well.
Enjoy your device, practice a lite touch, backup regularly if tinkering and know your recovery strategy before making any major changes. Good luck.
Hence, I am trying to get recos for "best bunch" of tools & strategy to do so.

if you want a slow performing battery drainer stick with Fire OS (regardless of what people like to claim you can't remove the worst bloatware without causing a bootloop or causing it to use 99% of the cpu constantly as a side effect such as Alexa ) if you want better performance and longer battery life use lineage 14.1
Appreciate the insight and I'd be more than willing to do a Back & Forth for a while to see what works best for me.

And I'd really appreciate your insight on what tools or steps you used to granularly "back up" from FireOS and "restore/ transfer" to your Lineage. Some inputs on that would really help me play with both as you have done before and reach first hand conclusion.

2 - Gotcha - TWRP is like a special utility partition (the likes we've seen on many laptops over the years). Though I am curious about the various ways in which it can be booted as you mention.. do link if there's a good writeup / article around this. :D Thanks again and again.
>> So this is like the Partition Managers stuff we've used on x86 / Disk/ Part/ Volume level

3 - I googled "Titanium Android" and lot of variety stuff came up -
Is there a RELIABLE CREDIBLE (new to Android clickbait) article that reviews / compares this Titanium and competing top guns for Backup/Recovery?
>> This would be the non partition/ file based Granular stuff.

5 - Interesting points. :D ha ha! I truly appreciate those insights. Tradeoffs for sure.
That's why I'd like the List of Tools to save stuff MACRO & MICRO, before I play with both variants.

deathblade200

Jun 25, 2012
Appreciate the insight and I'd be more than willing to do a Back & Forth for a while to see what works best for me.

And I'd really appreciate your insight on what tools or steps you used to granularly "back up" from FireOS and "restore/ transfer" to your Lineage. Some inputs on that would really help me play with both as you have done before and reach first hand conclusion.

TWRP is what I used to backup the roms and Titanium backup is the best way to backup and restore apps but it can't backup all apps properly such as magisk so I went back and forth to make sure I had all the modules and files for it as well as any init.d files, sysctl changes etc (mostly done with any root file explorer)

Last edited:
Reactions: crashnburnMDA

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Yes but general consumers are not the crowd who frequent XDA etc (for Android) or Jailbreaking forums (for iPhone). I am not trying for Windows desktop equivalent but
Consumer demand drives development as that's where the money is (ie: paid apps). As noted, TWRP for partition level backups which is all I need for most work. Data syncing tools such as Drive protect important personal data. I use ADB or a flash drive to capture/copy files that fall outside the capabilities of those tools. Native android backup (used with ADB) is also a powerful tool but Google kept messing with operational requirements over various Android versions; got tired of messing with it.

You'll also want to invest in a good file manager, preferably with cloud connect capabilities. I use FX but there a several fine choices in this arena.

Last edited:
Reactions: crashnburnMDA

idontkn1

Aug 5, 2013
League City

Hence, I am trying to get recos for "best bunch" of tools & strategy to do so.

There is tons of stuff out there. The way to back up the full os is TWRP. The way to back up individual apps is either titanium or migrate. Although because of permission issues neither one is absolutely perfect. If you have questions about any of those please go to those individual forums.

Figure out the 10 or 15 apps that you're going to use primarily on your tablet and test those out on both fire and lineage and see which one you like better. Until you play around with the individual roms and decide which one you like best and which one works best with your apps you aren't going to know. It's not like this is your primary phone that cost you 1000 dollars. It's a 50 dollar tablet. There isn't a better way to get introduced into the world of custom ROMs in Android. If you mess up it's no big deal if you have to put it down for a couple of days and start from scratch.

drdtyc

Feb 15, 2020
Hello everybody!
I still have the issue with low sound and microphone.. maybe i need a better ROM?

There is a simple fix to the issue of low sound.
1. Download dap_r6.5.zip file and flash it via TWRP to install the Dolby ATMOS app.
2. Open Audio FX app (pre-installed in LOS 14.1) and disable it.
3. Open Dolby ATMOS app to enhance the sound output to suit your personal preferences.

See the download link of dap_r6.5.zip and the discussion thread of the Dolby ATMOS app indicated in Post#925 by @ransack, which I quote below.

Never mind, I was wrong. I flashed a file called dap_r6.5.zip which I found here on xda that enabled Dolby Atmos. This fixed the volume issues I had, if I recall correctly. https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=13100

Here's a link to the discussion about it https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/mod-dolby-atmos-t3109446

Last edited:

crashnburnMDA

May 31, 2006
Texas
There is tons of stuff out there. The way to back up the full os is TWRP. The way to back up individual apps is either titanium or migrate. Although because of permission issues neither one is absolutely perfect. If you have questions about any of those please go to those individual forums.

Figure out the 10 or 15 apps that you're going to use primarily on your tablet and test those out on both fire and lineage and see which one you like better. Until you play around with the individual roms and decide which one you like best and which one works best with your apps you aren't going to know. It's not like this is your primary phone that cost you 1000 dollars. It's a 50 dollar tablet. There isn't a better way to get introduced into the world of custom ROMs in Android. If you mess up it's no big deal if you have to put it down for a couple of days and start from scratch.

Yes, its a tinker device but wish to maintain some APPS & APP DATA while tinkering.. with my first ANDROID :D
Thanks for these insights.
Titanium being windows based
Migrate being Android based.

Will check them out in detail and post back if any queries.

Is there an iMazing (Windows based for iPhone) in the Android world?

idontkn1

Aug 5, 2013
League City
Yes, its a tinker device but wish to maintain some APPS & APP DATA while tinkering.. with my first ANDROID :D
Thanks for these insights.
Titanium being windows based
Migrate being Android based.

Will check them out in detail and post back if any queries.

Is there an iMazing (Windows based for iPhone) in the Android world?
Titanium is Android based as well.

NickKappy

Jul 13, 2019
Alright, it's been about a year since I originally did this to my amazon tablet (and I remember very little about doing it). Should I update it? If so, how do I do that?

E1: Also, my fire crashes when I try to plug a controller into it, idk if that's a known bug or not

E2: Alright I think I wiped the old os. I am having issues remembering how to send the zip files from my computer to my tablet, but I am working on it.

Last edited:

dovydasz

Jul 27, 2020
I just installed it, but I'm having problems with Family Link. The device registered successfully, but does not count the times for programs, the Screen Lock function does not work (if I activate from the parent app). Have you tried Family Link with this ROM?

internetpizza

May 27, 2012
Anyone else getting 'OOPS! No mirrors found." when trying to download the latest .zip file? Disregard if this is an androidfilehost issue :)

DrPyro

Nov 17, 2008
Houston
I just installed it, but I'm having problems with Family Link. The device registered successfully, but does not count the times for programs, the Screen Lock function does not work (if I activate from the parent app). Have you tried Family Link with this ROM?

Yes, I have Family Link installed on 2 of these devices. The Jan 2nd, 2020 version has recently started to act very funny (sometimes locks, sometimes limits apps, sometimes not). The Feb 11th, 2020 version is behaving much more normal, and don't seem to have any issues with this tablet or version. I'm going to try the most recent version to see if I have the same issues. I thankfully have the Feb version saved on the SD card, so might try that if all else fails.

everyfire

Apr 17, 2019
Hi, I installed this and it works great (thanks to @Kaijones23), but the WiFi issue is bothering me. Is there any way to fix this? Or a new version on the horizon that fixes this?

If this cannot be fixed within the Lineage 14.1 branch, which other version of Lineage fixes this? And which of the following versions (15, 16 or 17) is most likely to be comparable to 14.1 in regards to stability? I find 14.1 to be very stable, except for the WiFi issue.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi, I installed this and it works great (thanks to @Kaijones23), but the WiFi issue is bothering me. Is there any way to fix this? Or a new version on the horizon that fixes this?

If this cannot be fixed within the Lineage 14.1 branch, which other version of Lineage fixes this? And which of the following versions (15, 16 or 17) is most likely to be comparable to 14.1 in regards to stability? I find 14.1 to be very stable, except for the WiFi issue.
As these are not my primary devices I ultimately rolled back to (rooted) FireOS customized to my liking. Performance is fine once memory intensive Amazon apps (including the ad machine + lol) are reigned in; all of my own apps work as they should. I have several other devices that run more traditional Android variants; I might make a different choice if I didn't have those.

Not quite the answer you were looking for. Just a different perspective...

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
The whole Karnak Lineage OS Development is terrible to be honest and wifi not working after return from sleep is a minor nuisance compared to the ****show that is 15,16 and 17...

astrod

Jul 24, 2014
Google Pixel
The whole Karnak Lineage OS Development is terrible to be honest and wifi not working after return from sleep is a minor nuisance compared to the ****show that is 15,16 and 17...
How are you helping the development? Or are you just going to be rude and make unhelpful criticisms? I appreciate the developer's efforts that he does in his spare time and that has made my tablet far more usable than it would have been with fireos.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    7652ffeccaa6bbdcda57289d991b093d.gif
    Disclaimer
    Code:
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
     * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
     * in the products you find here before flashing it!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
     */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

- This ROM only works with unlocked Fires!

Rules
    - Please search the thread before asking questions
    - Please try to stay on topic, I know it's not always possible
    - Please report bugs here
    - Report only one issue per bug report
    - When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg containing pertinent information regarding the issue...
    - Saying something isn't working without proper explanation will not attract any attention.

Prerequisites for Installation
    - Unlocked Bootloader
    - TWRP Installed

Downloads
    Lineage-14.1 for Amazon Fire HD8" 2018
    G-APPS (ARM)

Flashing Instructions

1. You MUST flash k4y0z's TWRP and amonet available here before trying to install the ROM
    2. Reboot into TWRP, wipe data (no format needed), then install the ROM zip
    3. Install anything else you would like (Magisk, OpenGAPPs, etc )for Android 7.1.2: https://opengapps.org/)
    4. Reboot into system and enjoy.

Source Code
    - Kernel Source: https://github.com/mt8163/android_kernel_amazon_karnak
    - Device Tree: https://github.com/mt8163/android_device_amazon_karnak/tree/cm-14.1
    - Common Device Tree: https://github.com/mt8163/android_device_amazon_mt8163_common

What's working/Bugs
    46288c4cd01f8d9c4045988c47fbfb7f.png
    XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage-14.1 for Fire HD8 (karnak), ROM for the Amazon Fire HD 8 and 10

Contributors
    Kaijones23, Rortiz2, xyz`, k4y0z, ggow
    Source Code: https://github.com/mt8163/android_device_amazon_karnak/tree/cm-14.1

ROM OS Version: 7.1.2 Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18.19
    ROM Firmware Required: TWRP, MT8163 Processor
    Based On: Lineage OS

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.0
    Stable Release Date: 2020-03-25

Created 2019-06-03
    Last Updated 2020-03-25
    Progress

Hey everyone good news. The codecs on pie are kind of working lately I fixed the codecs that it can stream regular videos but the YouTube videos doesn't play. @ggow do you mind helping me with headphone jack and Bluetooth issues ? I'm currently working on my kernel with performance improvements and better Battery life. I'm currently working on the issue that it crashes the kernel for some reason. What mostly issue I'm focusing on is the software side now .
    Just dropping this here

Thanks to @k4y0z for his help! we're working on bugs and issues.
    Releases:
    Code:
    [3-25-2020]Stable 1.0 [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Latest[/COLOR]
    [LIST]
    [*]Security Update to Feb 5, 2020 ( March Security Updates Not merged yet)
    [/LIST]
    [2-11-2020]beta 2.1
    [LIST]
    [*]Security update to January 5th, 2020. Lineage might backport February patches in a few days.
    [/LIST]

[1-2-2020]beta 2.0
    [LIST]
    [*]built amazon 6.3.1.2 kernel from source
    [*]this fixes dpi-related crashing issues causes in beta 1.9 release
    [/LIST]

[12-16-2019]beta 1.9
    [LIST]
    [*]fixed headphones
    [*]upstreamed the kernel to 3.18.20
    [*]platform security patch to 11-05-19.
    [*]peformance improvements and bug fixes.
    [/LIST]

[10-06-19]beta 1.8
    [LIST]
    [*]fix GAPPS Issue by using clean build
    [*]downgraded the kernel to 3.18.19 until the issues are resolved
    [*]since this ROM is almost stable, I would still maintain it but I'm currently focusing on pie stability.
    [/LIST]

[09-22-19]beta 1.7
    [LIST]
    [*]sec patch updated to September 5th 
    [*]kernel upstreamed to 3.18.140. But needs to fix the crashing issues during use.  
    [*]codecs tend to be not crashing anymore. 
    [/LIST]

[07-18-2019]beta 1.6
    [COLOR="Red"]MUST HAVE TWRP 3.3.1-0  FROM k4y0z [/COLOR]
    [LIST]
    [*]added vendor support
    [*]fixed hwc
    [/LIST]

[07-16-2019]beta 1.5
    [LIST]
    [*]fix reboot at sleep mode.
    [/LIST]

[07-10-2019]beta 1.4
    [LIST]
    [*]Blue Color Accent
    [*]Cleaned out root dir
    [*]Fixed Video
    [*]Fixed Audio
    [*]Fixed MIC
    [*]security way up to July
    [*]fixed battery stats
    [/LIST]

[05-04-2019] beta 1.3
    [LIST]
    [*] changed some app icons to lineage 15.1
    [*] replaced standard camera to Snap
    [*]security update applied to May 2019
    [*]changed build info to google to fix gapps issues.
    [*]removed no sim icon.
    [*]added multitasking support
    [/LIST]

[05-03-2019] beta 1.2
    [LIST]
    [*]Changed Build Variant to Userdebug
    [*]Fixed Camera.
    [/LIST]
    Finally fixed the issue. About to release this fix in few hours

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk