• Lineage-15.1

Votes: 17 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Mcwhitty

Nov 15, 2019
Generally a bad idea. Performance will suffer and some apps may not work. There are better options if you absolutely need the extra room but I'd stick to keeping only data on external storage.

Thank you for the advice. Can you tell me of any alternatives. I need to save a bunch of Coursera and udemy videos and even though I set the app to use the sd card it just saves on the internal storage.

Cheers.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Thank you for the advice. Can you tell me of any alternatives. I need to save a bunch of Coursera and udemy videos and even though I set the app to use the sd card it just saves on the internal storage.

Cheers.
That's an app restriction for which there may not be a ready solution that is easy to implement/maintain. Simply copy (move) the videos to external storage using a file manager when not in use and then move them back for viewing as needed. FX File Explorer is one such tool; there are many others.

Kctucka

Mar 24, 2019
Just something I wanted to share about OMX: I noticed I'd been having issues using the Live Display (blue light filter) and playing videos on certain apps. Once I turned on Live Display, the video would go black.

Flashing the 14.1 OMX fix from the Suez Lineage 14.1 thread fixed that issue. I'd recommend everyone flash that OMX fix just in case:

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=80762749&postcount=248

peterli99

Apr 25, 2016
Thanks! , I will add that to my next build of cm 14.1 and lineage 16.0. What did you think is the cause of the headphones to not to work ?

Looking forward to your new release. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

To answer your question, I downloaded the Lesser AudioSwitch app and checked the values. They are consistent with FireOS values after applying the patch on Los 14.1. I can personally confirm that the patch does indeed fix the wired headphone audio.

Thanks for confirming! Looking forward for a new release and totally ditching FireOS.

spelcheck

Nov 18, 2019
Seattle, WA
I've created a TWRP flashable zip for peterli99's headphone fix. Do either of you have an opinion on whether it should be posted or not? I suppose if a new build is coming along soon it won't be necessary.

Looking forward to your new release. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Thanks for confirming! Looking forward for a new release and totally ditching FireOS.

Reactions: susunan and ppog

spelcheck

Nov 18, 2019
Seattle, WA
Edit: New version of both Dolby and Headphone Fix available here.

Since a dolby-related settings xml file was in FireOS and has been pulled into peterli99's headphones fix, I did some research and found that we can install this 'deprecated' port of Dolby Atmos [see notes]: Direct link: https://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=13100. Thread is https://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/mod-dolby-atmos-t3109446. The zip is in the 'Download' section of the thread, NOT in the thread itself. Newer versions from 'Collective Dolby Atmos® Port Thread' somewhat worked, but installation was confusing and they all lacked 'Volume Leveler' option.

Dolby Atmos does a few things I had been wanting to fix regarding to audio. 1) fixes low volume throughout the entire system (an LOS14.1 issue?) requiring AudioFX turned off for a tiny improvement, but in the end Viper4Android needed be flashed and literally every volume/gain related setting to be maxed out. 2) lack of 'surround' settings for built-in speakers, audiofx only allows those additional settings for headphones.

Ok let's do this-
- Flash zip from 'Downloads' section of the linked thread (named 'dap_r6.5.zip (direct link: dap_r6.5.zip).
- Delete or rename /vendor/etc/audio_effects.conf so that the system uses the newly patched /system/etc/audio_effects.conf (if you fail to do this, Dolby Atmos will crash on launch).
- Launch AudioFX and turn it off (you'll need to do this once for whatever output is active).
- Profit.

Warnings and notes-
- There is a 'Volume Leveler' option in DA that is on by default. If you turn it off, volume will increase DRAMATICALLY. Be warned.
- The flashable headphonefix includes /vendor/etc/audio_effects.conf but it can be safely deleted when using DAP. So, if you flash the headphonefix _after_ installing Dolby Atmos, you'll need to delete it.

Last edited:

newnewcomputer

Mar 26, 2014
just want to say thank YOU to OP n everyone else who has offered their recommendations! IMHO tis the most stable n superior custom ROM over the Fire OS. im running the latest release w/:
1. the OP's recommended Dolby Plus mod to raise the vol;
2. Ziona's OMX fix due to some video playback issues;
3. peterli99's headphone jack fix - its AMAZING as no one was expecting it!

thank YOU all again! :)

edit: oh....also change swappiness from 100 to 10 using app2sd to speed things up

Last edited:

nujak

Mar 10, 2014
Since a dolby-related settings xml file was in FireOS and has been pulled into peterli99's headphones fix, I did some research and found that we can install this 'deprecated' port of Dolby Atmos.
I stumbled across this in one of the Amazon Fire forums, so I use the Dolby Digital Plus by repey6. Be sure to freeze, disable or uninstall AudioFX and then just grab the latest version of Dolby Digital Plus (DDP v6.5 currently) and install with Magisk. After reboot, search for and install Audio Modification Library (AML) in Magisk. You can then install Viper4Android if you want. If you install the headphone fix after DDP you can just copy the audio_effects.conf from the DDP zip into /vendor/etc or reinstall the DDP and AML modules.

Last edited:

Xinto

Dec 27, 2016
Tbilisi
I stumbled across this in one of the Amazon Fire forums, so I use the Dolby Digital Plus by repey6. Be sure to freeze, disable or uninstall AudioFX and then just grab the latest version of Dolby Digital Plus (DDP v6.5 currently) and install with Magisk. After reboot, search for and install Audio Modification Library (AML) in Magisk. You can then install Viper4Android if you want. If you install the headphone fix after DDP you can just copy the audio_effects.conf from the DDP zip into /vendor/etc or reinstall the DDP and AML modules.
Magisk module only works for Oreo and Pie

Sent from my Fire using Tapatalk

deathblade200

Jun 25, 2012
Since a dolby-related settings xml file was in FireOS and has been pulled into peterli99's headphones fix, I did some research and found that we can install this 'deprecated' port of Dolby Atmos [see notes]: Direct link: https://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=13100. Thread is https://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/mod-dolby-atmos-t3109446. The zip is in the 'Download' section of the thread, NOT in the thread itself. Newer versions from 'Collective Dolby Atmos® Port Thread' somewhat worked, but installation was confusing and they all lacked 'Volume Leveler' option.

Dolby Atmos does a few things I had been wanting to fix regarding to audio. 1) fixes low volume throughout the entire system (an LOS14.1 issue?) requiring AudioFX turned off for a tiny improvement, but in the end Viper4Android needed be flashed and literally every volume/gain related setting to be maxed out. 2) lack of 'surround' settings for built-in speakers, audiofx only allows those additional settings for headphones.

Ok let's do this-
- Flash zip from 'Downloads' section of the linked thread (named 'dap_r6.5.zip (direct link: dap_r6.5.zip).
- Delete or rename /vendor/etc/audio_effects.conf so that the system uses the newly patched /system/etc/audio_effects.conf (if you fail to do this, Dolby Atmos will crash on launch).
- Launch AudioFX and turn it off (you'll need to do this once for whatever output is active).
- Profit.

Warnings and notes-
- There is a 'Volume Leveler' option in DA that is on by default. If you turn it off, volume will increase DRAMATICALLY. Be warned.
- The flashable headphonefix includes /vendor/etc/audio_effects.conf but it can be safely deleted when using DAP. So, if you flash the headphonefix _after_ installing Dolby Atmos, you'll need to delete it.

but I've been using Dolby Atomos in Magisk for over a month now it was super simple to install and works perfectly without all these work arounds
EDIT: its still effected by the headphone fix issue just found that out

Last edited:
Reactions: Xinto

spelcheck

Nov 18, 2019
Seattle, WA
Updated headphone flashable zip, DDP v6.5 review.

nujak, this implementation you posted of DDP is very nice, modern plus it includes a home screen widget for quickly switching between presets. I used the TWRP flashable version (Magisk and TWRP versions available) and I flashed it onto a clean rom install. I didn't touch anything after the flash, only turned off AudioFX within the AudioFX app and then audio is routed through DDP. Honestly there's no need to disable, freeze or remove AudioFX as you only need to switch 'off' for an output once initially to have audio route to DDP. Plus, if for any reason you have issues with DDP in the future (mentions of crashes in other versions of DDP) you can just turn AudioFX on to route around it.

Notable differences:
- 'Volume Leveler' is enabled by default. It increases lower volumes a good amount, increases mid volumes a little less, and at max volume it appears to lower it just slightly. I imagine this is what 'Volume Leveler' is supposed to do instead of simply increasing output by 1000% 7db when turned on at max volume off (which was dangerous in that previous version I posted).
- Doesn't force landscape!
- Huge UI upgrade + widgets.
- To my ears, the 'Surround Virtualizer' feature is better.. certainly isn't worse. I would put both of my hd8's side by side to test, but honestly there is soo much better about this version, and volume output is well enough that it's no contest (if 5db bump from stock volume is enough for you).

Headphone fix - by itself or *after* flashing DDP
- I found that only '/system/etc/audio_device.xml' was needed from peterli99's fireOS ripped files. The diffs are very clean, only insertions of headphone-related outputs (see github diff if you'd like). I will include a flashable zip in the 'Downloads' section, but you could also just grab the single file from peterli99's patch.tar.gz file and overwrite what's in there after DDP flash. (DDP flashes an identical /system/etc/audio_devices.xml file to LOS stock file.)

IMHO
- a bunch of badmouthing of V4A that I mostly take back Viper4Android plays nicely with DDPv6.5 and also plays nice with the headphone fix. If you want 12-13db of volume boost over stock, install DDP then V4A. If 5db boost is enough for you, then DDP works by itself.
- I totally get some people like heavily modding with Magisk modules and Xposed framework, but I prefer to keep things as vanilla as possible.
- I use the k4y0z method for unlocking, and IMO there's no reason to use the old method that uses Magisk+Xposed+etc (unless you really like bugs). This results in a super clean unlocked device using LOS14.1 baked-in su (available in Developer menu).
- Additionally, if you are using the @k4y0z method for unlocking (which you should be), TWRP doesn't know about anything you do within the Magisk app itself, so if you're like me flashing Magisk to use with LOS16 build (couldn't find baked-in su), be prepared to brick your device. Want to install a module? Want to update Magisk through the app? Get your tools out 'cause you'll need to short pins to get it back.

Downloads
- Dolby Digital Plus by repey6 courtesy of @nujak.
- karnak_LOS141_headphonefix-556.zip courtesy of @peterli99 + me

Edit: When using the newer DDP:6.5, two 'downmix' related entries in /system/etc/audio_effects.xml should be un-commented (re-enabled). Otherwise when watching something with 5.1 sound, you'll only hear the rear channels (no voices).

Last edited:
Reactions: susunan and semada

nujak

Mar 10, 2014
nujak, this implementation you posted of DDP is very nice, modern plus it includes a home screen widget for quickly switching between presets.

I mostly mentioned V4A so that people knew they could use it in addition to DDP. DDP is enough for most I'm sure and clearly makes a difference. If you also use V4A (there is an updated Magisk module), you can make the sound even louder (among other things). Sure some of the controls overlap and might be redundant, but otherwise, it really comes down to what you want for your audio experience and what your familiar with.

- I use the k4y0z method for unlocking, and IMO there's no reason to use the old method that uses Magisk+Xposed+etc (unless you really like bugs). This results in a super clean unlocked device using LOS14.1 baked-in su (available in Developer menu).
- Additionally, if you are using the @k4y0z method for unlocking (which you should be), TWRP doesn't know about anything you do within the Magisk app itself, so if you're like me flashing Magisk to use with LOS16 build (couldn't find baked-in su), be prepared to brick your device. Want to install a module? Want to update Magisk through the app? Get your tools out 'cause you'll need to short pins to get it back.

The "new" method is just a cleaner, refined version of the old. It never actually required Magisk or Xposed. They are completely optional. It's also made very clear that Magisk should only every be installed or updated in TWRP. I actually bricked my tablet flashing DDP through TWRP the first time and had to open the back (super easy on Karnak), so you take that risk just running a custom mod. I personally prefer Magisk and the ease at which modules can be added/removed, but for others the built in su is fine.

Thanks for sharing your steps, it helps others who may be running the same setup as you. Also, thanks for helping whittle down the files necessary for the headphone fix. Should make it easier for people to fix until OP implements it into rom.

Last edited:
Reactions: spelcheck

spelcheck

Nov 18, 2019
Seattle, WA
I mostly mentioned V4A so that people knew they could use it in addition to DDP. DDP is enough for most I'm sure and clearly makes a difference. If you also use V4A (just search in Magisk), you can make the sound even louder (among other things). Sure some of the controls overlap and might be redundant, but otherwise, it really comes down to what you want for your audio experience and what your familiar with.

Right on, yeah I was pretty nasty about V4A. For sure it could be useful to an audiophile as a tuning app, and if V4A had a preset-switching widget it would be more useful for the normal user. If V4A install doesn't break the headphone entries in audio_devices.xml and plays nice with DDP then by all means would be cool to have it in the back pocket. If I remember correctly, the original headphone fix broke V4A but now that the fix is skimmed down it might play nice.

I'm loving this DDP version, ty for sharing! Preset chooser widget is clutch. Overall this LOS build is turning into an absolute gem, on a $40 tablet no less.

Edit: When using the newer DDP:6.5, two 'downmix' related entries in /system/etc/audio_effects.xml should be un-commented (re-enabled). Otherwise when watching something with 5.1 sound, you'll only hear the rear channels (no voices).

Last edited:

spelcheck

Nov 18, 2019
Seattle, WA
DAP v6.5 (old) vs DDP 6.5 (new) vs V4A output volume

Let me preface, I'm not the type who blows out speakers or sacrifices quality for loudness. These tests are simply to be used for comparison and baseline.

I did a controlled test between the two Dolby versions vs stock. Both versions output 5db louder than stock with 'Volume Leveling' disabled. With 'Volume Leveling' enabled though, the old version of DAP outputs another 7-8db louder (12-13db total louder than stock) while the new version of DDP doesn't output any louder (5db total louder than stock).

I installed V4A by itself and recorded some values as well. With all gain/loudness settings maxed out, it outputs at 11-12db louder than stock. Just a db lower than old DAP.

Here's the good news.. V4A (2.5.0.5 at least) plays nicely with the slimmed down headphone patch AND DDPv6.5. I installed DDP, V4A then headphone fix. When V4A and DDP are set to their respective "max volume" settings, it squeezes out another 1db (13-14db higher than stock), but of course running through DDP you'll get instant gratification sound quality boost.

I did not test db values through headphones, but I imagine they'll be the same differences.

So if a 5db boost is enough for you, DDPv6.5 is great by itself. If you need more volume, install V4A afterwards. The headphone fix should always be flashed last.

Something to note, even when the headphone related entries are added to audio_devices.xml in the build, I believe we'll still need to use the flashable headphone fix at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: susunan and Duchman

peterli99

Apr 25, 2016
but I've been using Dolby Atomos in Magisk for over a month now it was super simple to install and works perfectly without all these work arounds
EDIT: its still effected by the headphone fix issue just found that out

I confirmed that all the following files can be deleted from /vendor/etc, and the speaker, headset, and Dolby Atoms work fine without them:
Code:
audio_device.xml  audio_effects.conf  audio_em.xml  audio_policy.conf

BTW, /vendor/etc/custom.conf contains the following strange line that I would comment out:
Code:
browser.UAProfileURL = http://218.249.47.94/Xianghe/MTK_Phone_KK_UAprofile.xml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

THIS ROM VERSION (for this device) & THREAD HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED​

7652ffeccaa6bbdcda57289d991b093d.gif
    Disclaimer
    Code:
    /*
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
    * in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

- This ROM only works with unlocked Fires!

Rules
    - Please search the thread before asking questions
    - Please try to stay on topic, I know it's not always possible
    - Please report bugs here
    - Report only one issue per bug report
    - When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg containing pertinent information regarding the issue...
    - Saying something isn't working without proper explanation will not attract any attention.

Prerequisites for Installation
    - Unlocked Bootloader
    - TWRP Installed

Downloads
    Lineage-14.1 for Amazon Fire HD8" 2018
    G-APPS (ARM)

Flashing Instructions

1. You MUST flash k4y0z's TWRP and amonet available here before trying to install the ROM
    2. Reboot into TWRP, wipe data (no format needed), then install the ROM zip
    3. Install anything else you would like (Magisk, OpenGAPPs, etc )for Android 7.1.2: https://opengapps.org/)
    4. Reboot into system and enjoy.

Source Code
    - Kernel Source: https://github.com/mt8163/android_kernel_amazon_karnak
    - Device Tree: https://github.com/mt8163/android_device_amazon_karnak/tree/cm-14.1
    - Common Device Tree: https://github.com/mt8163/android_device_amazon_mt8163_common

What's working/Bugs
    46288c4cd01f8d9c4045988c47fbfb7f.png
    XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage-14.1 for Fire HD8 (karnak), ROM for the Amazon Fire HD 8 and 10

Contributors
    Kaijones23, Rortiz2, xyz`, k4y0z, ggow
    Source Code: https://github.com/mt8163/android_device_amazon_karnak/tree/cm-14.1

ROM OS Version: 7.1.2 Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18.19
    ROM Firmware Required: TWRP, MT8163 Processor
    Based On: Lineage OS

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 1.0
    Stable Release Date: 2020-03-25

Created 2019-06-03
    Last Updated 2020-03-25
    Progress

Hey everyone good news. The codecs on pie are kind of working lately I fixed the codecs that it can stream regular videos but the YouTube videos doesn't play. @ggow do you mind helping me with headphone jack and Bluetooth issues ? I'm currently working on my kernel with performance improvements and better Battery life. I'm currently working on the issue that it crashes the kernel for some reason. What mostly issue I'm focusing on is the software side now .
    Just dropping this here

Thanks to @k4y0z for his help! we're working on bugs and issues.
    Releases:
    Code:
    [3-25-2020]Stable 1.0 [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Latest[/COLOR]
    [LIST]
    [*]Security Update to Feb 5, 2020 ( March Security Updates Not merged yet)
    [/LIST]
    [2-11-2020]beta 2.1
    [LIST]
    [*]Security update to January 5th, 2020. Lineage might backport February patches in a few days.
    [/LIST]

[1-2-2020]beta 2.0
    [LIST]
    [*]built amazon 6.3.1.2 kernel from source
    [*]this fixes dpi-related crashing issues causes in beta 1.9 release
    [/LIST]

[12-16-2019]beta 1.9
    [LIST]
    [*]fixed headphones
    [*]upstreamed the kernel to 3.18.20
    [*]platform security patch to 11-05-19.
    [*]peformance improvements and bug fixes.
    [/LIST]

[10-06-19]beta 1.8
    [LIST]
    [*]fix GAPPS Issue by using clean build
    [*]downgraded the kernel to 3.18.19 until the issues are resolved
    [*]since this ROM is almost stable, I would still maintain it but I'm currently focusing on pie stability.
    [/LIST]

[09-22-19]beta 1.7
    [LIST]
    [*]sec patch updated to September 5th 
    [*]kernel upstreamed to 3.18.140. But needs to fix the crashing issues during use.  
    [*]codecs tend to be not crashing anymore. 
    [/LIST]

[07-18-2019]beta 1.6
    [COLOR="Red"]MUST HAVE TWRP 3.3.1-0  FROM k4y0z [/COLOR]
    [LIST]
    [*]added vendor support
    [*]fixed hwc
    [/LIST]

[07-16-2019]beta 1.5
    [LIST]
    [*]fix reboot at sleep mode.
    [/LIST]

[07-10-2019]beta 1.4
    [LIST]
    [*]Blue Color Accent
    [*]Cleaned out root dir
    [*]Fixed Video
    [*]Fixed Audio
    [*]Fixed MIC
    [*]security way up to July
    [*]fixed battery stats
    [/LIST]

[05-04-2019] beta 1.3
    [LIST]
    [*] changed some app icons to lineage 15.1
    [*] replaced standard camera to Snap
    [*]security update applied to May 2019
    [*]changed build info to google to fix gapps issues.
    [*]removed no sim icon.
    [*]added multitasking support
    [/LIST]

[05-03-2019] beta 1.2
    [LIST]
    [*]Changed Build Variant to Userdebug
    [*]Fixed Camera.
    [/LIST]
    Finally fixed the issue. About to release this fix in few hours

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk