• Lineage-15.1

Votes: 17 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
How are you helping the development? Or are you just going to be rude and make unhelpful criticisms? I appreciate the developer's efforts that he does in his spare time and that has made my tablet far more usable than it would have been with fireos.
??. While some may dislike my 'realistic' take on the utility of these gizmos (especially when pushed beyond the basics) such criticism never extends to those who provide 'best effort' support for a line of devices that do not attract mainstream developer support.

May 22, 2018
How are you helping the development? Or are you just going to be rude and make unhelpful criticisms? I appreciate the developer's efforts that he does in his spare time and that has made my tablet far more usable than it would have been with fireos.

This comes from a place where i have several devices with custom roms, and lineage for karnak is simply not a good idea. its just that one guy and of the four projects he has taken on, none is working properly. calling his releases stable is simply not right, and i bought a fire hd 8 with custom rom in mind, which was a bad decision on my part.
i mean i can live with the wifi not working properly, but it bugs me, just like the guy asking the question i answered, and the later iterations are much worse.

when i wrote this i had just installed every version of lineage os for karnak, just to realize they all don´t work properly and 14.1, which almost works was discontinued...so thats where the salt comes from.

It´s nice that he likes android development, but the releases so far are barely usable. i have a nexus with an oreo based custom rom, never had an issue, same with a xperia z2 tablet, and i thought this would be possible for the firehd 8 as well, but now i wish i had spent more and bought another device...so what i really disliked is that three of the four releases are labled stable, which led me to buying that tablet... (EDIT: 14 and 15 are labled stable, 16 and 17 are labled alpha or pre)

I´m sorry that i was an ass, but i hope you understand where i´m coming from as well

Last edited:

Utoixx

Feb 8, 2020
Ha Noi
This comes from a place where i have several devices with custom roms, and lineage for karnak is simply not a good idea. its just that one guy and of the four projects he has taken on, none is working properly. calling his releases stable is simply not right, and i bought a fire hd 8 with custom rom in mind, which was a bad decision on my part.
i mean i can live with the wifi not working properly, but it bugs me, just like the guy asking the question i answered, and the later iterations are much worse.

when i wrote this i had just installed every version of lineage os for karnak, just to realize they all don´t work properly and 14.1, which almost works was discontinued...so thats where the salt comes from.

It´s nice that he likes android development, but the releases so far are barely usable. i have a nexus with an oreo based custom rom, never had an issue, same with a xperia z2 tablet, and i thought this would be possible for the firehd 8 as well, but now i wish i had spent more and bought another device...so what i really disliked is that three of the four releases are labled stable, which led me to buying that tablet... (EDIT: 14 and 15 are labled stable, 16 and 17 are labled alpha or pre)

I´m sorry that i was an ass, but i hope you understand where i´m coming from as well
if you have more money you must buy another device. 50$ tables and lineage 14.1 are enough for me! Thanks Kaijones23, Rortiz2, xyz`, k4y0z, ggow so much!

glate

Apr 27, 2011
Are there any plans to update this ROM to newer security patches? This is the Lineage ROM for karnak that I've had the most success with and would prefer not to go to 16 or 17.1 until they are as stable. Seeing the other ROMs get some love which is great just hoping this one isn't forgotten :) Thanks again for all the hard work.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
where is the relevance? working lineage os would be enough for me as well.
Oy - entitlement issues galore. How about contributing some resource vs. complaining volunteers aren't producing satisfactory goods. Spare the line about being mislead by the 'stable' moniker. A 10 min browse through the thread would have revealed issues. Need stability - try stock.

May 22, 2018
Oy - entitlement issues galore. How about contributing some resource vs. complaining volunteers aren't producing satisfactory goods. Spare the line about being mislead by the 'stable' moniker. A 10 min browse through the thread would have revealed issues. Need stability - try stock.

hey pally, somebody asked if he should rather switch to los 16 or 17, because he was bummed out by the wifi issues, and i just told him that i feel the same way and that 16 and 17 are in a much worse state.
your contribution to this whole thing is unclear though. are you saying i can´t complain, because somebody made it for free, or i have to learn coding, before i´m allowed to say something is sub par? i don´t really know where you are going with this.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
hey pally, somebody asked if he should rather switch to los 16 or 17, because he was bummed out by the wifi issues, and i just told him that i feel the same way and that 16 and 17 are in a much worse state.
your contribution to this whole thing is unclear though. are you saying i can´t complain, because somebody made it for free, or i have to learn coding, before i´m allowed to say something is sub par? i don´t really know where you are going with this.
Tone and wording matter. Noting issues is fine and may assist the community and developer/maintainer. Your comments and later defense went further. Not hear to teach forum etiquette. Trashing volunteers is one reason you see less volunteers across a broad spectrum of society.

winstonma

Nov 24, 2005
Tone and wording matter. Noting issues is fine and may assist the community and developer/maintainer. Your comments and later defense went further. Not hear to teach forum etiquette. Trashing volunteers is one reason you see less volunteers across a broad spectrum of society.

To be honest, I guess DEV could do better by managing expectation of us.

When you look from user perspective, we would like to have a rom that is less bloated and stable. I am sure if DEV only release ONE rom (stable, doesn't need to be the latest version). Then most people would be happy.

I am not blaming DEV for his effort, but at the same time he could (not must) manage the expectation to make more people happy.

May I share my experience? I come to this forum and saw 4 roms for my Fire HD, based on the release date I would flash 17.1. Then I try 16.0, 15 and end up 14.1. I would be more appreciate if someone told me 14.1 is the most stable.

This is just my two cent.

May 22, 2018
To be honest, I guess DEV could do better by managing expectation of us.

When you look from user perspective, we would like to have a rom that is less bloated and stable. I am sure if DEV only release ONE rom (stable, doesn't need to be the latest version). Then most people would be happy.

I am not blaming DEV for his effort, but at the same time he could (not must) manage the expectation to make more people happy.

May I share my experience? I come to this forum and saw 4 roms for my Fire HD, based on the release date I would flash 17.1. Then I try 16.0, 15 and end up 14.1. I would be more appreciate if someone told me 14.1 is the most stable.

This is just my two cent.

I found it frustrating that 14 is most stable, but instead of fixing the remaining issues he stopped working on 14 alltogether, 15 doesn´t have a working download link anymore, and thats kinda it.

before this i didn´t really think there would be a chance i could end up with a rom that doesn´t work properly, because it was no issue with other devices at all.
also i thought the firehd rom development would be more popular, because you get the device so dirt cheap.

i guess i can live with restarting my device everytime before i want to use it for now, but the whole process with karnak custom roms was just a terrible experience.
i admit this could have been avoided, had i read between the lines before, but i wish the monikers would have been applied properly, thats on xda developers, allowing lineage os 14 and 15 to be labled as stable, because thats bull****

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I found it frustrating that 14 is most stable, but instead of fixing the remaining issues he stopped working on 14 alltogether, 15 doesn´t have a working download link anymore, and thats kinda it.

before this i didn´t really think there would be a chance i could end up with a rom that doesn´t work properly, because it was no issue with other devices at all.
also i thought the firehd rom development would be more popular, because you get the device so dirt cheap.

i guess i can live with restarting my device everytime before i want to use it for now, but the whole process with karnak custom roms was just a terrible experience.
i admit this could have been avoided, had i read between the lines before, but i wish the monikers would have been applied properly, thats on xda developers, allowing lineage os 14 and 15 to be labled as stable, because thats bull****
FWIW - I value stability and opted to remain on fully rooted FireOS v6. Yep, got some downsides but the UX is acceptable with custom launcher (Nova), no Amazon bloat and lite kernel tweaks to make the most of limited hardware. I view the ROM as a tool to support apps vs a destination. That said, I own the hardware, not Amazon. Been taming Fire devices since the 2nd gen HD; HDX (3rd gen) still a daily grab.

May 22, 2018
FWIW - I value stability and opted to remain on fully rooted FireOS v6. Yep, got some downsides but the UX is acceptable with custom launcher (Nova), no Amazon bloat and lite kernel tweaks to make the most of limited hardware. I view the ROM as a tool to support apps vs a destination. That said, I own the hardware, not Amazon. Been taming Fire devices since the 2nd gen HD; HDX (3rd gen) still a daily grab.

maybe that would have been a better route for me as well, had i known beforehand. but i really don´t want to invest any more time into this right now, and maybe the kaijones dude will deliver a stable version of lineage os eventually.

let me say though, that i really appreciate your opinion, and you are right its cool that people do stuff like this at all, its just that i have gotten used to perfect products from devices with a more active development (i got a nexus 5 with [ressurection remix?] that literally never crashed since the nexus 5 was released it was overall a great experience and still is, i use it as a media remote still)

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
maybe that would have been a better route for me as well, had i known beforehand. but i really don´t want to invest any more time into this right now, and maybe the kaijones dude will deliver a stable version of lineage os eventually.

let me say though, that i really appreciate your opinion, and you are right its cool that people do stuff like this at all, its just that i have gotten used to perfect products from devices with a more active development (i got a nexus 5 with [ressurection remix?] that literally never crashed since the nexus 5 was released it was overall a great experience and still is, i use it as a media remote still)
Yep - modding Amazon devices present unique challenges due to proprietary kernels (no source) and occasionally hardware - although the latter is less of an issue on HD 8 line starting w/5th gen. Hobbiests who successfully adapt to other devices get into trouble quick and often can't recover with a reasonable time commitment. Life moves on, interest wanes and backalley tumbleweeds follow. Rinse and repeat on almost every Amazon device. The lastest maneuvers to lock down bootloaders and squash sloppy Android vulnerabilities pretty much spells the end for modding new Amazon devices. Seen it coming for several years; the MTK hack was an unexpected 'gift' that temporarily delayed the inevitable.

Sounds grim but really isn't. Stock ROMs of all stripes are significantly better and Amazon has loosened the reins on allowing 3rd party stores and apps on FireOS. The experience is serviceable and sometimes even (gasp!) enjoyable. Custom ROM purests will continue to throw virgins into the fiery pit hoping for a miracle while the rest of us move on. Sure, I'll miss root but it won't reshape my daily life.

Last edited:

winstonma

Nov 24, 2005

First of all I think developers have all the rights to release whatever he wants. He is spending he free time to build the rom. Since I am not developing something meaningful to the community, it gives me no ground to blame the DEV in the first place.

However I just think that the expectation can be better handled by the DEV. Although end user didn't spend money, they spend time resetting the device, flashing rom and eventually find it is not stable. I would also understand why user is not happy.

Lastly I do agree that a stable rom is preferred over chasing the lastest system but not stable at all.

Just my two cents.

astrod

Jul 24, 2014
Google Pixel
First of all I think developers have all the rights to release whatever he wants. He is spending he free time to build the rom. Since I am not developing something meaningful to the community, it gives me no ground to blame the DEV in the first place.

However I just think that the expectation can be better handled by the DEV. Although end user didn't spend money, they spend time resetting the device, flashing rom and eventually find it is not stable. I would also understand why user is not happy.

Lastly I do agree that a stable rom is preferred over chasing the lastest system but not stable at all.

Just my two cents.
As far as I can tell, in all of the dev's threads, you just need to read his 2nd or 3rd post and you will learn of all the things which are not working or not stable (sound, wifi, bt etc. are all listed for various versions of LOS). Based on that I have stayed on 14.1 and enjoyed it and never looked back. I still greatly appreciate his work.

May 22, 2018
You guys are arguing about which great software is better on a junk device. SMH...

you are completely missing the point, this is not a tablet for enthusiast. it´s for people that want a big remote for their smart stereo, home appliances etc, or literally something only to browse reddit and watch netflix.

you could get the hd8 2018 for 35 bucks, if you were smart about it, and the only reason holding people back was that bloated fireos piece of crap.

so this is in fact a very important device for that niche and in my case i didn´t need another xperia z2, after mine broke, i literally don´t feel a difference between the two devices in my everyday use, only the z2 set me back 300 bucks...

why you even are active in this thread is beyond me, since you seem to happily spend more money on your tablet, while for me thats just silly.
you don´t see me posting in samsung S7 threads though...

Last edited:

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
you are completely missing the point, this is not a tablet for enthusiast. it´s for people that want a big remote for their smart stereo, home appliances etc, or literally something only to browse reddit and watch netflix.

you could get the hd8 2018 for 35 bucks, if you were smart about it, and the only reason holding people back was that bloated fireos piece of crap.

so this is in fact a very important device for that niche and in my case i didn´t need another xperia z2, after mine broke, i literally don´t feel a difference between the two devices in my everyday use, only the z2 set me back 300 bucks...

why you even are active in this thread is beyond me, since you seem to happily spend more money on your tablet, while for me thats just silly.

you don´t see me posting in samsung S7 threads though...
What? That's a lot of poor assumption on your part. I own 3 of the Fire 7's and 1 Fire 8. I've put custom roms on all of them and they are simply bad devices. Slow with not enough sd space; forget annoy playing simple games. Not even with the $35 or whatever they cost now is it worth modding. Maybe on the stock rom it's usable, but not on LOS.

Netflix? Forget it! If you want a remote, get a remote.

May 22, 2018
What? That's a lot of poor assumption on your part. I own 3 of the Fire 7's and 1 Fire 8. I've put custom roms on all of them and they are simply bad devices. Slow with not enough sd space; forget annoy playing simple games. Not even with the $35 or whatever they cost now is it worth modding. Maybe on the stock rom it's usable, but not on LOS.

Netflix? Forget it! If you want a remote, get a remote.

by sd space you mean internal memory? get a microsd and thats taken care of.

you own 4 fire hds, and hate them all? stop buying those friend XD

forget annoy playing simple games? ...

if you want a remote, get a remote.
SMART remote for SMART device, you know like internet accessible heating, window blinds, stereo etc. you will understand when you are a big boy and all grown up, making momma proud

alltogether i enjoyed talking to you, prepared me for getting my own edgy kids

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
by sd space you mean internal memory? get a microsd and thats taken care of.
Errr, no. That's called internal (or permanent) storage. RAM is not expandable and notoriously constrained on Fire devices. ZRAM helps but is no substitute for the real thing.

you own 4 fire hds, and hate them all? stop buying those friend XD
No kidding; don't ya love it. Otherwise known as addicted to *****ing. :rolleyes:

if you want a remote, get a remote.
SMART remote for SMART device, you know like internet accessible heating, window blinds, stereo etc. you will understand when you are a big boy and all grown up, making momma proud
Complexity for the sake of complexity (or redirected geek blood flow) is its own special kind of stupid. Get a real remote. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

THIS ROM VERSION (for this device) & THREAD HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED​

7652ffeccaa6bbdcda57289d991b093d.gif
    Disclaimer
    Code:
    /*
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
    * in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

- This ROM only works with unlocked Fires!

Rules
    - Please search the thread before asking questions
    - Please try to stay on topic, I know it's not always possible
    - Please report bugs here
    - Report only one issue per bug report
    - When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg containing pertinent information regarding the issue...
    - Saying something isn't working without proper explanation will not attract any attention.

Prerequisites for Installation
    - Unlocked Bootloader
    - TWRP Installed

Downloads
    Lineage-14.1 for Amazon Fire HD8" 2018
    G-APPS (ARM)

Flashing Instructions

1. You MUST flash k4y0z's TWRP and amonet available here before trying to install the ROM
    2. Reboot into TWRP, wipe data (no format needed), then install the ROM zip
    3. Install anything else you would like (Magisk, OpenGAPPs, etc )for Android 7.1.2: https://opengapps.org/)
    4. Reboot into system and enjoy.

Source Code
    - Kernel Source: https://github.com/mt8163/android_kernel_amazon_karnak
    - Device Tree: https://github.com/mt8163/android_device_amazon_karnak/tree/cm-14.1
    - Common Device Tree: https://github.com/mt8163/android_device_amazon_mt8163_common

What's working/Bugs
    46288c4cd01f8d9c4045988c47fbfb7f.png
    XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage-14.1 for Fire HD8 (karnak), ROM for the Amazon Fire HD 8 and 10

Contributors
    Kaijones23, Rortiz2, xyz`, k4y0z, ggow
    Source Code: https://github.com/mt8163/android_device_amazon_karnak/tree/cm-14.1

ROM OS Version: 7.1.2 Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18.19
    ROM Firmware Required: TWRP, MT8163 Processor
    Based On: Lineage OS

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 1.0
    Stable Release Date: 2020-03-25

Created 2019-06-03
    Last Updated 2020-03-25
    Progress

Hey everyone good news. The codecs on pie are kind of working lately I fixed the codecs that it can stream regular videos but the YouTube videos doesn't play. @ggow do you mind helping me with headphone jack and Bluetooth issues ? I'm currently working on my kernel with performance improvements and better Battery life. I'm currently working on the issue that it crashes the kernel for some reason. What mostly issue I'm focusing on is the software side now .
    Just dropping this here

Thanks to @k4y0z for his help! we're working on bugs and issues.
    Releases:
    Code:
    [3-25-2020]Stable 1.0 [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Latest[/COLOR]
    [LIST]
    [*]Security Update to Feb 5, 2020 ( March Security Updates Not merged yet)
    [/LIST]
    [2-11-2020]beta 2.1
    [LIST]
    [*]Security update to January 5th, 2020. Lineage might backport February patches in a few days.
    [/LIST]

[1-2-2020]beta 2.0
    [LIST]
    [*]built amazon 6.3.1.2 kernel from source
    [*]this fixes dpi-related crashing issues causes in beta 1.9 release
    [/LIST]

[12-16-2019]beta 1.9
    [LIST]
    [*]fixed headphones
    [*]upstreamed the kernel to 3.18.20
    [*]platform security patch to 11-05-19.
    [*]peformance improvements and bug fixes.
    [/LIST]

[10-06-19]beta 1.8
    [LIST]
    [*]fix GAPPS Issue by using clean build
    [*]downgraded the kernel to 3.18.19 until the issues are resolved
    [*]since this ROM is almost stable, I would still maintain it but I'm currently focusing on pie stability.
    [/LIST]

[09-22-19]beta 1.7
    [LIST]
    [*]sec patch updated to September 5th 
    [*]kernel upstreamed to 3.18.140. But needs to fix the crashing issues during use.  
    [*]codecs tend to be not crashing anymore. 
    [/LIST]

[07-18-2019]beta 1.6
    [COLOR="Red"]MUST HAVE TWRP 3.3.1-0  FROM k4y0z [/COLOR]
    [LIST]
    [*]added vendor support
    [*]fixed hwc
    [/LIST]

[07-16-2019]beta 1.5
    [LIST]
    [*]fix reboot at sleep mode.
    [/LIST]

[07-10-2019]beta 1.4
    [LIST]
    [*]Blue Color Accent
    [*]Cleaned out root dir
    [*]Fixed Video
    [*]Fixed Audio
    [*]Fixed MIC
    [*]security way up to July
    [*]fixed battery stats
    [/LIST]

[05-04-2019] beta 1.3
    [LIST]
    [*] changed some app icons to lineage 15.1
    [*] replaced standard camera to Snap
    [*]security update applied to May 2019
    [*]changed build info to google to fix gapps issues.
    [*]removed no sim icon.
    [*]added multitasking support
    [/LIST]

[05-03-2019] beta 1.2
    [LIST]
    [*]Changed Build Variant to Userdebug
    [*]Fixed Camera.
    [/LIST]
    Finally fixed the issue. About to release this fix in few hours

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk