• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][unlocked][karnak] Lineage-17.1[17 JULY 2020]

Search This thread

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
Thanks
How can I downgrade or install fire os 6 then ?
During the unlocking process you will flash a older version of FireOS 6

I recommend this guide:

(This guide was made before FireOS 7 and when FireOS 6.3.1.5 was the latest version for the Fire 8 2018, So if you willing to take the risk ignore what she says about needing to be on FireOS 6.3.1.5 and follow along)

mariokrupik

Jul 4, 2010
I went from 15.1 to 17.1 because I needed Geolocation Feature and hoped that it will work in 17.1, but unfortunatly it doesn't.
Is there anything I can do, to get geolocation to work on the Fire Tablets?

I am using a Service which limitates it's Service to a specific Address through Geofence, but on my Fire Tablets the Browser doesn't get any Cooridnates. Is this a Bug?
Maybe someone knows an App which emulates a Position to the Tablet.

UPDATE:
Ok, found out that when I install Gapps, Geolocation is working on the Fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: slipin3

makeitsoso

Sep 12, 2021
I have installed this with GApps Pico, but when it boots, it goes to Amazon logo for about 10 or 15 seconds, then stays aon Lineage boot animation forever - like 2 or 3 hours so far. I am aware this is not normal, but I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong? I have followed all steps. I have tried wiping everything that could wipe, and then pushing files to the device again and re-flashing but no joy. Any ideas?

Also: I was on Fireos 7.x and I did the hardware unlock and everything was successful and I was booted into the rooted rom with Magisk Manager.
I have since installed 16 and it works just fine, so not sure what it could be. 17 seems to work for everyone else.

Last edited:

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
I have installed this with GApps Pico, but when it boots, it goes to Amazon logo for about 10 or 15 seconds, then stays aon Lineage boot animation forever - like 2 or 3 hours so far. I am aware this is not normal, but I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong? I have followed all steps. I have tried wiping everything that could wipe, and then pushing files to the device again and re-flashing but no joy. Any ideas?

Also: I was on Fireos 7.x and I did the hardware unlock and everything was successful and I was booted into the rooted rom with Magisk Manager.
I have since installed 16 and it works just fine, so not sure what it could be. 17 seems to work for everyone else.
Did you flash Magisk before flashing Gapps?

If you did try this:

Wipe everything,
Flash ROM & Gapps,
(If it boots) set it up,
Then flash Magisk.

makeitsoso

Sep 12, 2021
Did you flash Magisk before flashing Gapps?

If you did try this:

Wipe everything,
Flash ROM & Gapps,
(If it boots) set it up,
Then flash Magisk.
Hi,

I flashed Magisk during the unlocking procedure, but the instructions for flashing the ROM don't mention Magisk - is it necessary?

I have tried :
ROM+Gapps - forever boot
ROM only - forever boot
16 ROM - boots fine, then flash Gapps, still boots fine.

I am hesitant now to wipe and re-flash without changing something.

Do you think I need to wipe again and first Flash Magisk and then ROM and try to boot?

Thanks

saxonww

Sep 16, 2021
Hi,

I flashed Magisk during the unlocking procedure, but the instructions for flashing the ROM don't mention Magisk - is it necessary?

I have tried :
ROM+Gapps - forever boot
ROM only - forever boot
16 ROM - boots fine, then flash Gapps, still boots fine.

I am hesitant now to wipe and re-flash without changing something.

Do you think I need to wipe again and first Flash Magisk and then ROM and try to boot?

Thanks

I ran into the same problem, but I think I got past it.

I first started following the bootloader unlock instructions at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/fire-hd-8-2018-only-unbrick-downgrade-unlock-root.3894256/. I got TWRP installed, but found that the linked 6300.zip would not install - some error flashing lk. I moved on to Lineage directly from there, and got this same behavior where it would get stuck at the Lineage logo.

I realized I forgot to flash finalize.zip from the unlock instructions after installing Lineage. This zip file turns off OTA updates and removes a file '/system/recovery-from-boot.p', which looked relevant.

I still had the back cover off, so I did the following:

adb push finalize.zip /sdcard
disconnect USB
disconnect/reconnect battery
boot into recovery (power + volume down)
install finalize.zip
reboot

I booted to the LineageOS setup screen and was able to do initial setup. Then I rebooted into recovery, installed open-gapps, rebooted again, and got back to the lock screen eventually. Booting this tablet is s l o w, but it seems to work now.

Last edited:

saxonww

Sep 16, 2021
"How to fix Accelerometer (Auto-rotate) & Light Sensor (Auto-brightness)"
Required: LineageOS Settings (it is a sub app of Android Settings, should already be installed)

Go to Settings -> Display (Advanced) -> Rotation settings
Turn on 'Auto-rotate screen' *even if you don't want your screen auto-rotating*
Only check '0 degress' in Rotation Modes if you don't want it to auto-rotate
Check other boxes to suit your preferences.
View attachment 5317953 View attachment 5317955

After doing this I had just realized my Light Sensor works! Note: I am not entirely sure if this fixed it or if it was something else.

I went through this but neither the light sensor nor the screen rotation are working for me. At least, if I am on a webpage and I turn the tablet sideways, it doesn't rotate. Light auto-adjust likewise doesn't seem to work, or at least, nothing happens if I turn the room lights on and off w/r/t screen brightness.

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
Karnak doesn't have los 12.1. I guess that you meant 14.1 or you're just talking about the fire HD 10 (2017) - suez.
Yeah, sry, you're right, just messed the version numbers up, my Karnak is on 14.1 and the suez HD10 on 12.1 ;)

Apart from the numbers, I've got no problems with the suez, deepsleep works fine even for weeks.
My workaround for the deepsleep issue on karnak 14.1 is a full shutdown :p

Falcon342

Aug 24, 2020
Really no issues/bugs at all? Whats about the camera?

My karnak sits still on LOS14 and it's ok, only a deepsleep problem, drains the battery from full to empty over night.

Edit: LOS OS No. corrected
I put my tablet in Airplane mode when not in use and it only drains (roughly) 1-2% overnight, i also do things like: brightness at its lowest, location off, etc, but for me the best battery life im probably getting is 2-3 days,

Cameras do work but the ROM is missing something for the cameras because some apps from F-droid (or other F-droid Repos) say im missing "android.hardware.camera" and wont install, but if i sideload the Apk they work fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sus_i

Top Liked Posts

I meant widevine L1 support if that's not already added.
    The os already has widvine support
    The lineage 18.1 build is almost done, sorry it took so long but ive been busy most of times and the remaining issues that is needed fixing is
    1. Camera
    2. Omx codecs
    The headphones works and the sound and bluetooth works too
    Hi, I want to know if it works for Fire HD 10.
    This ROM does NOT work for any device except the "Fire HD 8 2018 / 8th Generation (aka KFKAWI or karnak)"

I personally am on 16.0 and have had no issues except for Wi-Fi, but there is a fix available for that.

My karnak sits still on LOS12 and it's ok, only a deepsleep problem, drains the battery from full to empty over night.
    Karnak doesn't have los 12.1. I guess that you meant 14.1 or you're just talking about the fire HD 10 (2017) - suez.

My karnak sits still on LOS14 and it's ok, only a deepsleep problem, drains the battery from full to empty over night.

Edit: LOS OS No. corrected
    I put my tablet in Airplane mode when not in use and it only drains (roughly) 1-2% overnight, i also do things like: brightness at its lowest, location off, etc, but for me the best battery life im probably getting is 2-3 days,

Cameras do work but the ROM is missing something for the cameras because some apps from F-droid (or other F-droid Repos) say im missing "android.hardware.camera" and wont install, but if i sideload the Apk they work fine.
    Please add DRM/Widevine support Either in a separate zip that you flash in TWRP or in the ROM itself. :D
    no i won’t do that cause the drm works fine
    7652ffeccaa6bbdcda57289d991b093d.gif
    Disclaimer
    Code:
    /*
     * This ROM will eat your cat
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
     * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
     * in the products you find here before flashing it!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
     */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

- This ROM only works with unlocked Fires!

Rules
    - Please search the thread before asking questions
    - Please try to stay on topic, I know it's not always possible
    - Please report bugs here
    - Report only one issue per bug report
    - When reporting bugs please post a logcat and/or dmesg containing pertinent information regarding the issue...
    - Saying something isn't working without proper explanation will not attract any attention.

Prerequisites for Installation
    - Unlocked Bootloader
    - TWRP Installed

Install/Upgrade the ROM
    - Boot to TWRP
    - Go to wipe and wipe: system, data, cache
    - Go to install and flash ROM.zip
    - Flash G-APPS (Optional)
    - Reboot

Downloads
    Lineage-17.1- for Amazon Fire HD8" 2018
    G-APPS (ARM)

Source Code
    - Kernel Source: https://github.com/mt8163/android_kernel_amazon_karnak
    - Device Tree: https://github.com/mt8163/android_device_amazon_karnak/

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage-17.1 for Fire HD8 (karnak), ROM for the Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10

Contributors
    Kaijones23, Rortiz2, t0x1cSH, k4y0z
    ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 1.0
    Beta Release Date: 2020-07-17

Created 2020-07-17
    Last Updated 2020-07-17
    The lineage 18.1 build is almost done, sorry it took so long but ive been busy most of times and the remaining issues that is needed fixing is
    1. Camera
    2. Omx codecs
    The headphones works and the sound and bluetooth works too
    Hey y'all , I've been really busy with my life , school and work. The 18.1 ROM is working too but still on production because there is alot of issues .the last thing in need to fix is the headphones
    Same. I had mine sit for 30 minutes and never got past the Lineage OS boot animation.
    Try restart! I'm install ROM+Magisk+Gapps Pico, After restart,i worked!