[ROM][Unofficial][10.0.0][microG][signed]LineageOS 17.1 for Motorola G3 (osprey)

Search This thread

r3dd0t

Feb 5, 2021
Shouldn't there be a Stock Android 6 version available? Does your Stock ROM offer you an update?
I am not 100% sure whether you would have to upgrade to Android 6 first, I had on my Ospreys already Android 6 Stock, when I first flashed LineageOS on them. But in general, it is always a good thing to update, if possible, to the latest offered Stock ROM version.
yes there is supposed to be a Stock Android 6 update, but for whatever reason my phone is not getting it. Do you think I could just try and install your ROM without the update? I mean the ROM will get replaced anyway.
EDIT: just installed it, worked without a problem

Last edited:
Reactions: MSe1969

MSe1969

Dec 16, 2016
Frankfurt Rhine-Main metropolitan region
New build with February ASB patches

Hi all,
a new build is ready for download and already offered as OTA update through the Updater app:
  • Security string 2021-02-05
  • Bromite System webview updated to 88.0.4324.141
  • Bromite Browser updated to 88.0.4324.141
  • F-Droid 1.10-alpha-234
  • microG 0.2.17.204714-5

Regarding Kernel:
This update still has the "default" LineageOS kernel - I neither did have the time to apply the latest patches to the "chil360" kernel, nor did I have the time to test and compare. However - this topic is still on my "to do" list, so be patient :)
I will later provide the two boot.img files for separate download, so people can easily flash via TWRP the one or the other kernel to compare themselves - and if the "chil360" kernel finally wins, I will provide the future builds with this kernel and also offer each time separate images for download for the folks using the standard LineageOS 17.1 build.

Happy flashing - cheers, M.

MSe1969

Dec 16, 2016
yes there is supposed to be a Stock Android 6 update, but for whatever reason my phone is not getting it. Do you think I could just try and install your ROM without the update? I mean the ROM will get replaced anyway.
EDIT: just installed it, worked without a problem
Thanks for trying and giving the feedback. So if all works fine, you shouldn't worry and simply enjoy.

Just as a quick background - when flashing this ROM and any update of it, two partitions are replaced:
- /boot (Kernel and Kernel RAM disk)
- /system (LineageOS and also the so-called "vendor blobs", i.e. the Motorola hardware drivers)

So yes, maybe ~95% of the Stock ROM is replaced, when you flash LineageOS over the Stock ROM. But there are further partitions on the phone, which aren't replaced (and which shoudn't be replaced either - because those parts could even be specific to the region, e.g. modem software being specific for Asia, Europe, US, ...). Examples are: The boot loader and the modem partition plus further, very low-level device-specific things, which usually aren't updated very often.
That is where the recommendation comes from, that - before flashing a Custom ROM over a device with Stock ROM - the latest possible Stock ROM update should be applied, especially, when this means a further Android generation. When a Stock ROM update to a further Android generation (e.g. from 5.x to 6.0) is performed, such parts of the device are usually updated as well.

As mentioned above, if all is fine, don't worry. Otherwise - there are, also here on XDA, Stock firmware repositories, where such partition images are offered and you can flash them via fastboot. But really be careful with this and read thoroughly the instructions - if doing things wrong here, you can really hard-brick your device.

MSe1969

Dec 16, 2016
Invitation to "kernel challenge"

Hi all,
as announced before, when posting the February update, I have now uploaded two kernel images belonging to the February build:
Continuing the previous discussion, which I had with @nodens76 and @knpk13, I would like to invite some more testers to compare both kernel images and feedback your preferences here in the thread. Both kernels of course work, but based on the feedback of @nodens76, the Hybrid-X kernel seems to be slightly faster and hence preferable.

To flash the kernel, download the respective image and either use fastboot (example: command fastboot flash boot osprey_hybrid-x_20210213_boot.img for the Hybrid-X image) or copy the image to your phone, reboot to TWRP, choose Install, then "image install", choose the image file and install as "boot". To flash back the official kernel, do the same with the other image file.

As indicated, feedback is much appreciated, so it would be great, if several people would participate in the test and express their preference.

Thanks in advance for your participation!

MSe1969

Dec 16, 2016

baseline2016

Jan 19, 2016
Hello from The Netherlands is their anybody who can explain me how to build kernels via Github? How do i get that nesscery .zip file. I have allready installed twrp and iḿ on a different rom with gapps btw. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

MSe1969

Dec 16, 2016
Hello from The Netherlands is their anybody who can explain me how to build kernels via Github? How do i get that nesscery .zip file. I have allready installed twrp and iḿ on a different rom with gapps btw. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Hi, building kernels isn't trivial and cannot be summarized in a few lines in a post within a ROM thread.
Assuming you have some development and/or ROM building experience (kernel for sure is not a beginner's topic), I'd simply start with a complete ROM build tree, where you build the kernel along with your ROM or you can build the boot.img separately via lunch lineage_<your device>-userdebug && make bootimage
It also depends, what your motivation is to build the kernel . . .

maxwell80

Apr 29, 2020
Hi MSe1969!

There are two annoying bugs I found on my phone. (with your standard version - not the alternate kernel)

Sometimes, when I receive a call and the phone rings, the screen stays black, so I cannot answer the call... The on/of button changes nothing (I am not sure about the Volume button)
In the log I attach the incoming call is at 18:25

Second thing :
When I take the phone (without clicking the on-off button) and the lock screen shows / I swipe up and the dialer for the pin shows/ if I enter the pin fast ( everything works fine if I type s l o w l y), the screen suddenly switches back to the lock screen, where I have to swipe up again to get to the dialer again.
This second time I can type at any speed to unlock.
If I take the phone and push the on button/swipe/dial everything works fine from the start.
This is shown in the second log (logcat2)

Maybe you've got an idea...

Thank you for your great work!

M

Attachments

• logcat_02-25-2021_18-26-29.zip
    103.3 KB · Views: 2
  • logcat2.zip
    6 KB · Views: 2

MSe1969

Dec 16, 2016
Hi MSe1969!

There are two annoying bugs I found on my phone. (with your standard version - not the alternate kernel)

Sometimes, when I receive a call and the phone rings, the screen stays black, so I cannot answer the call... The on/of button changes nothing (I am not sure about the Volume button)
In the log I attach the incoming call is at 18:25

Second thing :
When I take the phone (without clicking the on-off button) and the lock screen shows / I swipe up and the dialer for the pin shows/ if I enter the pin fast ( everything works fine if I type s l o w l y), the screen suddenly switches back to the lock screen, where I have to swipe up again to get to the dialer again.
This second time I can type at any speed to unlock.
If I take the phone and push the on button/swipe/dial everything works fine from the start.
This is shown in the second log (logcat2)

Maybe you've got an idea...

Thank you for your great work!

M
Hi, thanks for providing the logs. I had a first glimpse on them, but did not spot any immediate thing. (Did however not really deep-dive, yet).

To your "call receive" topic, some general questions upfront:
- You say "sometimes", can you somehow reproduce this behavior or do you have to wait, until this happens again?
- You use the shipped Dialer/Phone app or have you installed a 3rd party phone/dialer app?
- The phone/dialer app has got all phone-related permissions (I am not talking about location, but phone and phone list)
- Notifications are all allowed?
- You haven't installed any "task-killer" apps, "hibernation" apps, or any Magisk modules, which could have an impact on this?

To your second topic:
- Does this always happen or also "sometimes"? Can it be reproduced?
- You haven't installed any "task-killer" apps, "hibernation" apps, or any Magisk modules, which could have an impact on this?
- To me, the log does not really show anything unusual, is it somehow filtered?

To all other readers: Do you experience similar issues?

EDIT:
When searching for the "screen stays black on incoming calls" issue, it was said that "Reset app preferences" in the Settings - Apps area seems to also solve that issue. At least worth a try...?
Thanks!

Last edited:

maxwell80

Apr 29, 2020
Hi, thanks for providing the logs. I had a first glimpse on them, but did not spot any immediate thing. (Did however not really deep-dive, yet).

To your "call receive" topic, some general questions upfront:
- You say "sometimes", can you somehow reproduce this behavior or do you have to wait, until this happens again?

I cannot reproduce it

- You use the shipped Dialer/Phone app or have you installed a 3rd party phone/dialer app?

shipped dialer app

- The phone/dialer app has got all phone-related permissions (I am not talking about location, but phone and phone list)

yes

- Notifications are all allowed?

yes

no

To your second topic:
- Does this always happen or also "sometimes"? Can it be reproduced?

It happens every time

no

- To me, the log does not really show anything unusual, is it somehow filtered?

I use logcat reader - the defaut setting logs crash, main and system.
events and radio can be logged too, but were not chosen in the log I attached in my first post.

To all other readers: Do you experience similar issues?

EDIT:
When searching for the "screen stays black on incoming calls" issue, it was said that "Reset app preferences" in the Settings - Apps area seems to also solve that issue. At least worth a try...?
Thanks!

Thanks for the hint - I reset the preferences, we will see if it changes anything.

MSe1969

Dec 16, 2016
New build with March ASB patches

Hi all,
a new build is ready for download and will soon be offered as OTA update through the Updater app:
  • Security string 2021-03-05
  • Bromite System webview updated to 88.0.4324.207
  • Bromite Browser updated to 88.0.4324.207
  • F-Droid 1.11
  • microG 0.2.18.204714
Regarding Kernel:
This update still has the "default" LineageOS kernel - haven't got any feedback so far from you regarding the upstreamed "chil360" kernel vs. the default LineageOS kernel . . .

Happy flashing - cheers, M.

EDIT: Update app will now offer the OTA update

Last edited:
Reactions: nodens76

lgusrxda

Sep 2, 2016
I'm trying to have EdXposed working with this ROM, but it always shows "EdXposed framework is not (properly) installed". It works fine with official LineageOS 17.1 and also LineageOS for microG 17.1.
Using Magisk v22.0, Riru v23.9, Riru - Edxposed v0.5.2.2_4683 (YAHFA) and EdXposed Manager v4.6.2. Tried older versions, but same failure.

With [Unofficial][9.0.0][signed]LineageOS 16.0 for Osprey (B. Security hardened microG build) it also works fine.

There is an issue reported by others - https://github.com/ElderDrivers/EdXposed/issues/828.

Anyway, is there anybody with EdXposed working with this custom ROM ?

MSe1969

Dec 16, 2016
Hi
Newpipe is blocked by the iptable block-script.
How can I add an exception to the mentioned whitelist (and where do I find it?)
Regards,
M
No, it is not! I myself use it and there is an exception present. However, after you have freshly installed an app, which is on the exception list, you need to switch off/on the blocking switch once.
Reason is, that the script needs to find out the app's uid, which is only created at install.

EDIT
Some further information:
  • Instead of a one-time switch off / on the iptables block script, you could also do a reboot, after having installed an app from the exception list
  • Here is NewPipe listed as exception
  • You have, a while back, asked me about allowing Whatsapp to connect to FB as an exception. If you would insert the statement jump_app com.whatsapp before this line, Whatsapp would be allowed to connect to FB and Google even with enabled script (I am still not sure, whether to do that or not)
  • On your phone, the script file is /system/bin/z_iptables

Last edited:
Reactions: maxwell80

maxwell80

Apr 29, 2020
No, it is not! I myself use it and there is an exception present. However, after you have freshly installed an app, which is on the exception list, you need to switch off/on the blocking switch once.
Reason is, that the script needs to find out the app's uid, which is only created at install.

EDIT
Some further information:
  • Instead of a one-time switch off / on the iptables block script, you could also do a reboot, after having installed an app from the exception list
  • Here is NewPipe listed as exception
  • You have, a while back, asked me about allowing Whatsapp to connect to FB as an exception. If you would insert the statement jump_app com.whatsapp before this line, Whatsapp would be allowed to connect to FB and Google even with enabled script (I am still not sure, whether to do that or not)
  • On your phone, the script file is /system/bin/z_iptables
Thank you for the quick reply!
Good to know where to find the whitelist :)

boty24

Nov 29, 2018
I have a battery problem with this ROM, the phone shuts down randomly and reports low batter no matter how much battery there is.

I have a XT1543, this also happen in the your previously (16) lineage build but not in the official ones.

flyhunter

Oct 7, 2012
Hello,

I used your LineageOS 14.1 rom for some time and just updated this weekend to this new version. So far everything is working fine with only one exception, but I'm not sure if this is related to the rom itself or not.

Anyway, I'm having problems with Bluetooth when playing some youtube videos. Some videos (not all) will turn off my Bluetooth headset when I click to play them. Weirdly enough, the videos play fine when the headset is not connected or if it is connected by cable and not Bluetooth.

This problem happens when using NewPipe and also when using Youtube Vanced. For the "problematic videos" it doesn't matter which timestamp you start, the video stops, the headset disconnects and turns off. All videos of this channel https://www.youtube.com/user/melodysheep are having this problem, for example. Videos from this channel https://www.youtube.com/user/XboxAhoy are working fine.

With the official YouTube app, it is a bit different: the headphone disconnects only one time per section, right when starting the first video. After this it goes without problems.

I wonder if other people can try to reproduce this or if this is some problem on my end.

As a long-time user of your roms, my sincere thank you for your great work!

nodens76

Jun 17, 2010
Paris
Hello,
Thanks @MSe1969 for your work, for a strange reason I didn't received notifcations for this thread update ...
I didn't test your new builds as I must confess, I switched back to your 14.1 rom. And the latter ui is clearly less laggy. As it's my primary phone, I find it way more usuable ! I should test again this present rom but I have to find some time !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

I used your LineageOS 14.1 rom for some time and just updated this weekend to this new version. So far everything is working fine with only one exception, but I'm not sure if this is related to the rom itself or not.

Anyway, I'm having problems with Bluetooth when playing some youtube videos. Some videos (not all) will turn off my Bluetooth headset when I click to play them. Weirdly enough, the videos play fine when the headset is not connected or if it is connected by cable and not Bluetooth.

This problem happens when using NewPipe and also when using Youtube Vanced. For the "problematic videos" it doesn't matter which timestamp you start, the video stops, the headset disconnects and turns off. All videos of this channel https://www.youtube.com/user/melodysheep are having this problem, for example. Videos from this channel https://www.youtube.com/user/XboxAhoy are working fine.

With the official YouTube app, it is a bit different: the headphone disconnects only one time per section, right when starting the first video. After this it goes without problems.

I wonder if other people can try to reproduce this or if this is some problem on my end.

As a long-time user of your roms, my sincere thank you for your great work!
    Hello,
    Thanks @MSe1969 for your work, for a strange reason I didn't received notifcations for this thread update ...
    I didn't test your new builds as I must confess, I switched back to your 14.1 rom. And the latter ui is clearly less laggy. As it's my primary phone, I find it way more usuable ! I should test again this present rom but I have to find some time !
    Hello,
    I can also confirm the observation, that Android 10 seems to be the limit of what can be done with this old device and that I am not sure, whether going to Android 11 would make any further sense for this device, or whether then it really would become too laggy.

Well - let me give you some thoughts from my end:
    • When providing 14.1 builds, people kept asking me for higher LineageOS versions
    • When finally switching to 16.0, I myself considered this being smooth and stable and also the feedback received did not really tell anything different
    • This is a hobby of mine, and my time is also limited and the Osprey isn't my primary device since long
    • When the Osprey became officially supported by LineageOS and I finally switched my microG build to 17.1 (as you know, I offer threads for several devices), this became a good opportunity to me to "streamline" my efforts by still maintaining a good quality level - as I consider the quality level of LineageOS still a benchmark. So providing one build variant instead of two and not having to take care about the kernel means a significant work reduction for me.
    • I have even offered to maintain the kernel of the 16.0 builds for this build, if that would bring some performance improvements (scroll back), but I did not really receive any feedback (and my own tests did not reveal any "game changer", so from my point of view not worth the effort), so I stopped working on this.
    That's where we are.
    Thanks for reporting, but without further details (e.g. a log), it is very difficult for me to do or say anything about this. Even with a log, e.g. @maxwell80 was very kind of providing those, when there was a reproducible issue, it is often not easy to get down to the issue. (Last time e.g. I could not really help, tbh)

This ROM to 100% uses the device configuration, blobs and kernel of LineageOS. Especially the device config. part is still some "blackbox" to me. I can say, that on my osprey devices, the battery behavior is terrific (but not my primary device, so I usually do not really put heavy load on them).
    If i might add something, i have this behavior too, but with other roms too, i think it's the phone itself (e.g. battery life etc ) that is the problem.
    This thread is dedicated to provide hardened Lineage-OS 17.1 builds with microG included for the Motorola Moto G 2015 (Osprey) with current security patches.

You can consider this thread as a successor of my LineageOS 16.0 Osprey thread
    Different from my 16.0 thread, I do not offer a "standard variant", as there is an official LineageOS 17.1 version available for the Osprey device.

Security hardened microG build
    Download here
    • Build is signed
    • Pre-installed microG and F-Droid like the LineageOS for microG project (own fork)
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore
    • Bromite as default browser
    • eSpeak TTS engine (FOSS TTS solution)
    • Additional security hardening features listed below
    • Cloudflare as default DNS (instead of Google)
    • Privacy-preferred default settings
    • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking (Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Optional disable captive portal detection or choose from various providers (default is GrapheneOS and not Google; Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Firewall UI (under Trust)
    • Increased max. password length of 64
    • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google when GPS is in use
    • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView
    • Extra control of sensor access for additionally installed user apps (Special access under app permissions)
    • Constified JNI method tables

Current release levels
    Security string: 2021-04-05
    AOSP tag: 10.0.0_r41
    Bromite Webview: M90

Source-code and build instructions
    Kernel: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_motorola_msm8916/tree/lineage-17.1 (official LineageOS)
    Build manifest: https://github.com/lin17-microG/local_manifests/tree/lin-17.1-microG

Installation Instructions

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE SOLELY YOURSELF FOR ANY ACTIONS YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE !!!

Please note - I won't explain any single aspect (e.g. how to install 'fastboot' on your PC or troubleshoot USB connectivity issues under Windows). Search the net and consult the search engine of your choice or look here in XDA, there is plenty information available.

Pre-Requisites
    • Get familiar with the hardware keys of the Motorola Moto G 2015 (osprey) device, especially how to enter fastboot mode (switch phone off hold power + volume down together for about 3 seconds) and recovery mode (in fastboot mode, switch with volume key to the reboot recovery option and select with power key)
    • Activate the Developer options (Settings, about phone: tap 7 times on the build number), get into the new menu Developer options and activate, if available, the option "OEM unlocking")
    • Have fastboot and adb installed on your PC and make sure, you can connect via USB to your device in fastboot mode and via adb
    • Download the most current .ZIP file of this ROM and place it to your phone's internal memory or SD card
    • An unlocked bootloader (read the warnings carefully and backup your data!)

Install TWRP recovery
    If you come from stock ROM and have just unlocked your boot loader, this is the next thing to do. If you have already a working custom recovery on your device, there is no necessity to replace it. However - I recommend to use the official TWRP recovery from the TWRP site. The following instructions are based on TWRP.
    To install TWRP, download the TWRP.img file (Note: replace "TWRP.img" in the following instructions with the real file name) from this section to your PC, connect the phone via USB to your PC, get it into 'fastboot mode' and enter the following command on your PC:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img
    Afterwards, directly boot into 'recovery mode' (enter fastboot reboot on your PC and use the right hardware keys to get into recovery mode) - I recommend not to boot the phone's Android system after having flashed TWRP. Once TWRP has been launched, you may decide to reboot your phone and install the ROM at any time later. But the first boot after flashing TWRP should be TWRP in recovery mode.

Advanced Wipe
    ONLY perform the steps described here, if you come from Stock ROM or a different Custom ROM!

Boot into recovery mode. In TWRP, choose "Wipe", "Advanced" and spefify "Dalvik", "System", "Cache" and "Data" to be wiped. Make sure NOT to wipe "Internal memory" or "SD Card". Swipe to confirm the deletion and get back into the main menu.

NO GApps!
    DO NOT attempt to flash GApps on this build! This build is "Google-free" comes with pre-installed AuroraStore and microG.
    If you absolutely want Gapps, download and flash the official LineageOS build for this device instead.

Install the ROM
    In the TWRP main menu, choose "Install". A file manager appears to let you navigate to your internal memory (path /sdcard) or your SD card (path /external_sd). Choose the .ZIP file of the ROM and swipe to flash. If you update from a previous version of the ROM, you don't need to perform a wipe. If you come from a different ROM (or stock firmware), make sure that you have performed the Wipe steps above. When finished flashing, return to the main menu, choose "Reboot" and then "System", which will cause your phone to boot into our Lineage OS 17.1 - be patient, the first boot after flashing a new ROM takes quite long!

microG
    After the first installation of this ROM, you need to setup microG.
    Please read the instructions given on the LineageOS for microG site, section "Post Install - UnifiedNlp"

Dealing with signed builds
    Please note, that my build is signed with an own key. When you come from a different build, you cannot directly "dirty-flash" this build. You have to perform a "clean flash".

Bug reports:
    If you have a problem please create a post with these information:
    Original Kernel shipped with this rom:
    Build Date:
    And try to get log as described here

Credits
    Android Open Source project (AOSP)
    LineageOS project
    althafvly
    chil360
    microG project
    csagan5 (Bromite)
    Whyorean (AuroraStore)
    First, some context, I started with your ROM on lineage os 14, then 16 and now 17.
    In my opinion the 14 had the best feeling. Fast, reactive, even with a load of apps.

Official LOS17 has always been laggy for me on osprey. Some people still build LOS14 with monthly security patches for osprey last I checked. They said the hardware can't really handle newer versions of android that well so they stick to nougat. I tested both for like half an hour and I think 14 is better, but I still stuck to 17 because of the automatic LOS updater.
    Change log

2021-04-13

• ASB Security string 2021-04-01
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 90.0.4430.59
    • F-Droid updated to 1.12
    • Update: AuroraStore 4.0.4 with AuroraServices 1.1.0

2021-03-08
    • Security string 2021-03-05
    • Bromite System webview updated to 88.0.4324.207
    • Bromite Browser updated to 88.0.4324.207
    • F-Droid 1.11
    • microG 0.2.18.204714

2021-02-15
    • Security string 2021-02-05
    • Bromite System webview updated to 88.0.4324.141
    • Bromite Browser updated to 88.0.4324.141
    • F-Droid 1.10-alpha-234
    • microG 0.2.17.204714-5

2021-01-15 - Initial build
    • Pre-installed microG (0.2.16.204713-10) and F-Droid like the LineageOS for microG project (own fork)
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore
    • Bromite as default browser (87.0.4280.131)
    • eSpeak TTS engine (FOSS TTS solution)
    • Additional security hardening features listed below
    • Cloudflare as default DNS (instead of Google)
    • Privacy-preferred default settings
    • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking (Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Optional disable captive portal detection or choose from various providers (default is GrapheneOS and not Google; Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Firewall UI (under Trust)
    • Increased max. password length of 64
    • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google when GPS is in use
    • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView (87.0.4280.131)
    • Extra control of sensor access for additionally installed user apps (Special access under app permissions)
    • Constified JNI method tables
    Hello, I dirty flashed and for now everything seems fine ! Even maybe a little snappier.
    I will report any problem.
    Thank you for your work !
    Thanks for reporting, but without further details (e.g. a log), it is very difficult for me to do or say anything about this. Even with a log, e.g. @maxwell80 was very kind of providing those, when there was a reproducible issue, it is often not easy to get down to the issue. (Last time e.g. I could not really help, tbh)

This ROM to 100% uses the device configuration, blobs and kernel of LineageOS. Especially the device config. part is still some "blackbox" to me. I can say, that on my osprey devices, the battery behavior is terrific (but not my primary device, so I usually do not really put heavy load on them).
    If i might add something, i have this behavior too, but with other roms too, i think it's the phone itself (e.g. battery life etc ) that is the problem.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone