• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][Unofficial][10.0.0][microG][signed]LineageOS 17.1 for Motorola G3 (osprey)

Search This thread
New build with April 2021 sec. patches available

Hi all, a new build is available and already offered as OTA update through the Updater app:
  • ASB Security string 2021-04-05
  • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 90.0.4430.59
  • F-Droid updated to 1.12
  • Update: AuroraStore 4.0.4 with AuroraServices 1.1.0

Regarding AuroraStore:
This is a major update, in case of weird havior of Aurora, go to Settings - apps, pick the AuroraStore app and delete memory and cache.

Happy flashing, regards - M.

Last edited:
Hello,

I used your LineageOS 14.1 rom for some time and just updated this weekend to this new version. So far everything is working fine with only one exception, but I'm not sure if this is related to the rom itself or not.

Anyway, I'm having problems with Bluetooth when playing some youtube videos. Some videos (not all) will turn off my Bluetooth headset when I click to play them. Weirdly enough, the videos play fine when the headset is not connected or if it is connected by cable and not Bluetooth.

This problem happens when using NewPipe and also when using Youtube Vanced. For the "problematic videos" it doesn't matter which timestamp you start, the video stops, the headset disconnects and turns off. All videos of this channel https://www.youtube.com/user/melodysheep are having this problem, for example. Videos from this channel https://www.youtube.com/user/XboxAhoy are working fine.

With the official YouTube app, it is a bit different: the headphone disconnects only one time per section, right when starting the first video. After this it goes without problems.

I wonder if other people can try to reproduce this or if this is some problem on my end.

As a long-time user of your roms, my sincere thank you for your great work!
This sounds really weird. Let me propose you the following:
  1. Please try again with the newest version of my ROM. I have just published it, and the April ASB also has changed/fixed something in the Bluetooth stack. Do let me know, whether this issue still persists.

2. I don't have a true Bluetooth headset, but I assume, that e.g. pairing with my car BT or pairing with a "Party Box" should be OK for a test, as the respective Bluetooth profile should be the same. So once you tell me, that you still have this issue, I'll do some testing on my end - at least to give feedback.

But honestly: Should I be able to reproduce your issue, I have no idea, how I could help with that...

I have a battery problem with this ROM, the phone shuts down randomly and reports low batter no matter how much battery there is.

I have a XT1543, this also happen in the your previously (16) lineage build but not in the official ones.

I had this battery issue too, but just once some days ago - and never before.

Thanks for reporting, but without further details (e.g. a log), it is very difficult for me to do or say anything about this. Even with a log, e.g. @maxwell80 was very kind of providing those, when there was a reproducible issue, it is often not easy to get down to the issue. (Last time e.g. I could not really help, tbh)

This ROM to 100% uses the device configuration, blobs and kernel of LineageOS. Especially the device config. part is still some "blackbox" to me. I can say, that on my osprey devices, the battery behavior is terrific (but not my primary device, so I usually do not really put heavy load on them).

Hello,
Thanks @MSe1969 for your work, for a strange reason I didn't received notifcations for this thread update ...
I didn't test your new builds as I must confess, I switched back to your 14.1 rom. And the latter ui is clearly less laggy. As it's my primary phone, I find it way more usuable ! I should test again this present rom but I have to find some time !
I can also confirm the observation, that Android 10 seems to be the limit of what can be done with this old device and that I am not sure, whether going to Android 11 would make any further sense for this device, or whether then it really would become too laggy.

Well - let me give you some thoughts from my end:
  • When providing 14.1 builds, people kept asking me for higher LineageOS versions
  • When finally switching to 16.0, I myself considered this being smooth and stable and also the feedback received did not really tell anything different
  • This is a hobby of mine, and my time is also limited and the Osprey isn't my primary device since long
  • When the Osprey became officially supported by LineageOS and I finally switched my microG build to 17.1 (as you know, I offer threads for several devices), this became a good opportunity to me to "streamline" my efforts by still maintaining a good quality level - as I consider the quality level of LineageOS still a benchmark. So providing one build variant instead of two and not having to take care about the kernel means a significant work reduction for me.
  • I have even offered to maintain the kernel of the 16.0 builds for this build, if that would bring some performance improvements (scroll back), but I did not really receive any feedback (and my own tests did not reveal any "game changer", so from my point of view not worth the effort), so I stopped working on this.
That's where we are.

Reactions: knpk13

omzart

Jul 23, 2010
Thanks for reporting, but without further details (e.g. a log), it is very difficult for me to do or say anything about this. Even with a log, e.g. @maxwell80 was very kind of providing those, when there was a reproducible issue, it is often not easy to get down to the issue. (Last time e.g. I could not really help, tbh)

This ROM to 100% uses the device configuration, blobs and kernel of LineageOS. Especially the device config. part is still some "blackbox" to me. I can say, that on my osprey devices, the battery behavior is terrific (but not my primary device, so I usually do not really put heavy load on them).
If i might add something, i have this behavior too, but with other roms too, i think it's the phone itself (e.g. battery life etc ) that is the problem.

Reactions: MSe1969

maxwell80

Apr 29, 2020
Hi MSe1969

I told you once that with this build I had problems with some apps, like Signal not being able to share the location and the public transport app wienerlinien not finding the loc plus missing map parts.
Also, as I noticed recently, unifiedNlp does not work. (no network location shown in SatStat)

The solution to this should be this:

As I use Magisk, I installed this module: https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Repo/microG_installer
and all the problems mentioned disappeared, except unifiedNlp.
Probably because of this:
"Note: Install this module before installing any GMS-dependent apps, as well as do not disable it after installing such apps, unless you know what you're doing."

Would it be possible for you to add this patch to your build?

Thank you for your work!
m

Last edited:
Hi MSe1969

I told you once that with this build I had problems with some apps, like Signal not being able to share the location and the public transport app wienerlinien not finding the loc plus missing map parts.
Also, as I noticed recently, unifiedNlp does not work. (no network location shown in SatStat)

The solution to this should be this:

As I use Magisk, I installed this module: https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Repo/microG_installer
and all the problems mentioned disappeared, except unifiedNlp.
Probably because of this:
"Note: Install this module before installing any GMS-dependent apps, as well as do not disable it after installing such apps, unless you know what you're doing."

Would it be possible for you to add this patch to your build?

Thank you for your work!
m
Hi,

the functionality of unified NLP is included in microG, so there are in fact only two reasons to use Unified NLP:
a. You would like to use it instead of microG on a device
b. You would like to use it next to the genuine Google Spy services (requires a patch in the ROM)

The patch, which you have linked, allows to install Unified NLP as a user app instead of requiring it to be a system app. Unified NLP however is not foreseen to co-exist with microG (as it is already part of microG). Therefore, it does not make sense to apply that patch to my build. The documentation of the a.m. Magisk module also states, that this patch would only be needed, if you attempted to install UnifiedNLP as a user app (and not as Magisk module, which in fact emulates a privileged app, not requiring that patch). In other words, if neither "my" microG works, nor the Magisk module, the patch will for sure also not make it work.

Typical issues with non-working location in microG would be fixed by:
- Check that location permisison is granted (to microG and installed providers)
- Re-do the configuration of the installed providers
- Delete the memory of the microG app and the installed providers and start config from scratch

Regards, M.

Reactions: Tiki Thorsen
Sorry for the question but what you think about /e/ OS? if its a waste of time just don't reply please. Also thanks for this nice rom i wanted to degooglefy my osprey
Thanks for the positive feedback.

/e/ OS makes mostly use of LineageOS, but replaces many shipped user-facing apps (e.g. launcher, e-mail app, ...) with their own forked and adapted apps. As a general idea, /e/ aims at providing to the users an easy-to use solution with an own kind of google-free "eco system" with a good overall compatibility through microG, so that also people not familiar with flashing Custom ROMs can even buy phones with /e/ pre-installed (or have it flashed by a friend familiar with flashing Custom ROMs, who does not afterwards have to explain too many things). Instead of setting up a Google account at installation to store your contacts, e-mails, and phone data on Google-servers (with all the privacy impacts), you can easily make use of alternatives, including services provided by /e/.

You have already flashed a Custom ROM to your device, so the advantages it offers to entirely inexperienced users (like buy a phone with /e/ pre-installed and use it like any other phone coming with Google-bloat) would not apply to you, as you would also flash it to your device as a Custom ROM, if you decided to do so. Nevertheless, you may (or may not) like their UI and their apps better than what is shipped by default with LineageOS.

I have no experience with /e/ OS myself. I know, what it is, and I have looked also at their code to see, what they have done. It would not be fair to make any "judgements" without true own experience, apart from the generic description, which I have given to you. So if you're interested, simply give it a try.

About /e/ its pretty and too fast compared to any other rom i was thinking that mybe Google Apps consume and transfer so much data lol.
Yes, the Google bloat indeed consumes a lot of data and slows down your system.

So anyway i got to stick to google because some apps depend on it so the best option for my now is your rom.
?? - My ROM also comes with microG pre-installed and flashing Gapps isn't really foreseen (don't know whether this even works).
So I am surprised, how you can stick to Google with my ROM. Did you manage to flash Gapps over it?

No no sadly no i went over to havoc 3.9 again. I had a feeling that Aurora store got the apps that i was in urge to get but no, the developers of the app i looking for are ruled by politicans so by downloading the app im allowing things that i never allow to any app but this app its one of the ways latinoamericans make money so i got no alternative to stick to it if i want to sell things. The problem was that only the search and selling app was on aurora store, but no the banking app and you can't access to the banking app trought the pc the only way is having a mobile device so its somewhat punishing for my privacy but i got nothing to hide so meeh maybe they found my ex girl number lmao.
Also i was seeing when i installed the rom that it got bromite never tried and i readed this on a search Bromite for accounts, DDG for disposible searches Vanadium for web apps and Tor private searches. In my current rom i use Fennec from f-droid with Ublock HTTPS Everywhere and Decentraleyes (edit: with duck duck go on search engine)
In regards to Aurora not showing all apps, have you tried already the option "insecure anonymous session" (Network settings in Aurora)? Sounds to me, that this could be your solution, if the issue is only that Aurora doesn't show the app.
If however the specific app, which you need, uses such cr*p like Safety net or G* license verification, then indeed, you would need to stick to the genuine G* spy services.

WhatsApp
There was a question a while back, e.g. from @maxwell80 , whether I couldn't allow WhatsApp to still connect to FB, whilst having the G*/FB blocking enabled. I have received that question also from other people and I have now finally put an effort for a more comprehensive explanation, which can be found here:

so no luck at all at all i think im going with /e/ os
Sure, give it a try and let me know how it went. (Interested to get some practical opinion about it)

. . . i got nothing to hide . . .
Well, this is off-topic in a mobile device Custom ROM XDA thread, but you may want to read some of these links (there is tons more...):

knpk13

Dec 11, 2015
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 3T
Hmmm... Seems, that the posts of orangesunshinewalker have disappeared from my thread...
Does anybody know, whether - with the new forum software - if a member gets deleted, all his posts get removed, too?
Or is that a choice, one can take, if deciding to delete the XDA membership? Just curious...
You'd have to ask a mod. My best guess is they requested deletion here: https://www.xda-developers.com/gdpr-data/

Not sure if it applies to posts. Btw someone made an unofficial build of e/os for hotdog and the thread has some interesting info about a privacy controversy with their app store.

Reactions: MSe1969

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This rom is a dream! Most respect for maintaining the old Moto G with privacy awareness and less-google-is-better in mind. Sincere thank you MSe1969.

Some time ago installed new battery and left device untouched. Had stock rom, Android 6.0. By following the instructions from 1st post turned device to gold haha. During process only struggle was the wipe part, though got it over thanks to
    (How To Fix: could not mount /data and unable to find crypto footer and failed to mount /data).

Flashed latest lineage-17.1-20210710-UNOFFICIAL-microG-signed-osprey. My XT1541 (16gb internal storage, 2gb ram) does not have audio from speakers, though works with headphones. Intented to use device during cycling, but without sim card the location services/GPS seems not responding. Using both Mozilla Location Service and Nominatim default modules. Oh, torch isnt working.
    This rom is a dream! Most respect for maintaining the old Moto G with privacy awareness and less-google-is-better in mind. Sincere thank you MSe1969.
    Thanks for the positive feedback.

Flashed latest lineage-17.1-20210710-UNOFFICIAL-microG-signed-osprey. My XT1541 (16gb internal storage, 2gb ram) does not have audio from speakers, though works with headphones.
    I can't reproduce that with my own device (same: XT1541 16GB), all works fine.

Intented to use device during cycling, but without sim card the location services/GPS seems not responding. Using both Mozilla Location Service and Nominatim default modules. Oh, torch isnt working.
    Same story, all works fine with my device, also w/o SIM card. But I have to give you an important hint:
    Make sure - even if you only would like to use GPS - that you have properly configured microG:
    - All permissions granted
    - Location services set up, activated and also permissions granted
    Thanks for reaching out!
    I did grant location permissions and through F-Droid set up the rest of location modules which are GSM Location Service, GSMNetworkLocationProvider, Radiocells.org UnifiedNlp Backend, Déjà Vu, WiFi Location Service as listed in https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.google.android.gms/. Another list of backends just from github: https://github.com/microg/UnifiedNlp#usage
    So far can get GPS working with internet connection from iPhone + Apple Backend for UnifiedNlp.
    Don't set up all Location modules, they may disturb each other. In fact - either use Nominatim and Mozilla only, or - instead of Mozilla - use Déjà Vu and GSM Location. Be aware, that you need to configure GMS Location, you need to download a cell tower list.
    If you are fine with Apple, use Apple instead of Mozilla, but Apple spying on you isn't really better than Google.

EDIT:
    Mozilla and also Apple require an internet connection, as they need a server to resolve the GPS tower data into a location. So in fact, you would need Déjà Vu and GMS Location, which are supposed to work "offline" - since you don't use a SIM card, so you won't have internet with your bike.

I wonder why Self-Check does not include name UnifiedNlp...
    A quote from microG post-install "First, open the "microG Settings" app and check if everything is OK in the "Self-Check" section; you will probably have to give microG some permissions, like location and file access. The UnifiedNlp section will have some issues: that's normal, we haven't configured it yet."

All list items in Self-Check are checked. Under About microG Services Core there is UnifiedNIp 2.0-alpha6. What am I missing?
    Unified NLP is included in microG GMS core - it is the section about location provider setup. This part is also available as an extra app instead of microG GMS core including it, that's why.
    Mozilla and also Apple require an internet connection, as they need a server to resolve the GPS tower data into a location. So in fact, you would need Déjà Vu and GMS Location, which are supposed to work "offline" - since you don't use a SIM card, so you won't have internet with your bike.
    Thanks a lot! Went for a spin and indeed GPS does work without internet connection! The dream!

Locations modules used: Deja Vu, GSM Location Service, Nominatim.

Edit: Can confirm bluetooth works via JBL Go speaker without lag.
    This thread is dedicated to provide hardened Lineage-OS 17.1 builds with microG included for the Motorola Moto G 2015 (Osprey) with current security patches.

You can consider this thread as a successor of my LineageOS 16.0 Osprey thread
    Different from my 16.0 thread, I do not offer a "standard variant", as there is an official LineageOS 17.1 version available for the Osprey device.

Security hardened microG build
    Download here
    • Build is signed
    • Pre-installed microG and F-Droid like the LineageOS for microG project (own fork)
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore
    • Bromite as default browser
    • eSpeak TTS engine (FOSS TTS solution)
    • Additional security hardening features listed below
    • Cloudflare as default DNS (instead of Google)
    • Privacy-preferred default settings
    • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking (Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Optional disable captive portal detection or choose from various providers (default is GrapheneOS and not Google; Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Firewall UI (under Trust)
    • Increased max. password length of 64
    • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google when GPS is in use
    • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView
    • Extra control of sensor access for additionally installed user apps (Special access under app permissions)
    • Constified JNI method tables

Current release levels
    Security string: 2021-07-05
    AOSP tag: 10.0.0_r41
    Bromite Webview: M91

Source-code and build instructions
    Kernel: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_motorola_msm8916/tree/lineage-17.1 (official LineageOS)
    Build manifest: https://github.com/lin17-microG/local_manifests/tree/lin-17.1-microG

Installation Instructions

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE SOLELY YOURSELF FOR ANY ACTIONS YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE !!!

Please note - I won't explain any single aspect (e.g. how to install 'fastboot' on your PC or troubleshoot USB connectivity issues under Windows). Search the net and consult the search engine of your choice or look here in XDA, there is plenty information available.

Pre-Requisites
    • Get familiar with the hardware keys of the Motorola Moto G 2015 (osprey) device, especially how to enter fastboot mode (switch phone off hold power + volume down together for about 3 seconds) and recovery mode (in fastboot mode, switch with volume key to the reboot recovery option and select with power key)
    • Activate the Developer options (Settings, about phone: tap 7 times on the build number), get into the new menu Developer options and activate, if available, the option "OEM unlocking")
    • Have fastboot and adb installed on your PC and make sure, you can connect via USB to your device in fastboot mode and via adb
    • Download the most current .ZIP file of this ROM and place it to your phone's internal memory or SD card
    • An unlocked bootloader (read the warnings carefully and backup your data!)

Install TWRP recovery
    If you come from stock ROM and have just unlocked your boot loader, this is the next thing to do. If you have already a working custom recovery on your device, there is no necessity to replace it. However - I recommend to use the official TWRP recovery from the TWRP site. The following instructions are based on TWRP.
    To install TWRP, download the TWRP.img file (Note: replace "TWRP.img" in the following instructions with the real file name) from this section to your PC, connect the phone via USB to your PC, get it into 'fastboot mode' and enter the following command on your PC:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img
    Afterwards, directly boot into 'recovery mode' (enter fastboot reboot on your PC and use the right hardware keys to get into recovery mode) - I recommend not to boot the phone's Android system after having flashed TWRP. Once TWRP has been launched, you may decide to reboot your phone and install the ROM at any time later. But the first boot after flashing TWRP should be TWRP in recovery mode.

Advanced Wipe
    ONLY perform the steps described here, if you come from Stock ROM or a different Custom ROM!

Boot into recovery mode. In TWRP, choose "Wipe", "Advanced" and spefify "Dalvik", "System", "Cache" and "Data" to be wiped. Make sure NOT to wipe "Internal memory" or "SD Card". Swipe to confirm the deletion and get back into the main menu.

NO GApps!
    DO NOT attempt to flash GApps on this build! This build is "Google-free" comes with pre-installed AuroraStore and microG.
    If you absolutely want Gapps, download and flash the official LineageOS build for this device instead.

Install the ROM
    In the TWRP main menu, choose "Install". A file manager appears to let you navigate to your internal memory (path /sdcard) or your SD card (path /external_sd). Choose the .ZIP file of the ROM and swipe to flash. If you update from a previous version of the ROM, you don't need to perform a wipe. If you come from a different ROM (or stock firmware), make sure that you have performed the Wipe steps above. When finished flashing, return to the main menu, choose "Reboot" and then "System", which will cause your phone to boot into our Lineage OS 17.1 - be patient, the first boot after flashing a new ROM takes quite long!

microG
    After the first installation of this ROM, you need to setup microG.
    Please read the instructions given on the LineageOS for microG site, section "Post Install - UnifiedNlp"

Dealing with signed builds
    Please note, that my build is signed with an own key. When you come from a different build, you cannot directly "dirty-flash" this build. You have to perform a "clean flash".

Bug reports:
    If you have a problem please create a post with these information:
    Original Kernel shipped with this rom:
    Build Date:
    And try to get log as described here

Credits
    Android Open Source project (AOSP)
    LineageOS project
    althafvly
    chil360
    microG project
    csagan5 (Bromite)
    Whyorean (AuroraStore)
    Change log

2021-07-10

• ASB Security string 2021-07-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 91.0.4472.146
    • microG 0.2.21.212158-2
    • AuroraStore 4.0.7

2021-06-14
    • ASB Security string 2021-06-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 91.0.4472.102
    • microG 0.2.19211515-9

2021-05-11
    • ASB Security string 2021-05-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 90.0.4430.204
    • microG upstreamed (no version upgrade)
    • Update: AuroraServices 1.1.1

2021-04-13
    • ASB Security string 2021-04-01

2021-03-08
    • Security string 2021-03-05
    • Bromite System webview updated to 88.0.4324.207
    • Bromite Browser updated to 88.0.4324.207
    • F-Droid 1.11
    • microG 0.2.18.204714

2021-02-15
    • Security string 2021-02-05
    • Bromite System webview updated to 88.0.4324.141
    • Bromite Browser updated to 88.0.4324.141
    • F-Droid 1.10-alpha-234
    • microG 0.2.17.204714-5

2021-01-15 - Initial build
    • Pre-installed microG (0.2.16.204713-10) and F-Droid like the LineageOS for microG project (own fork)
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore
    • Bromite as default browser (87.0.4280.131)
    • eSpeak TTS engine (FOSS TTS solution)
    • Additional security hardening features listed below
    • Cloudflare as default DNS (instead of Google)
    • Privacy-preferred default settings
    • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking (Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Optional disable captive portal detection or choose from various providers (default is GrapheneOS and not Google; Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Firewall UI (under Trust)
    • Increased max. password length of 64
    • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google when GPS is in use
    • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView (87.0.4280.131)
    • Extra control of sensor access for additionally installed user apps (Special access under app permissions)
    • Constified JNI method tables
    New build with April 2021 sec. patches available

Hi all, a new build is available and already offered as OTA update through the Updater app:
    • ASB Security string 2021-04-05

Regarding AuroraStore:
    This is a major update, in case of weird havior of Aurora, go to Settings - apps, pick the AuroraStore app and delete memory and cache.

Happy flashing, regards - M.
    First, some context, I started with your ROM on lineage os 14, then 16 and now 17.
    In my opinion the 14 had the best feeling. Fast, reactive, even with a load of apps.

Official LOS17 has always been laggy for me on osprey. Some people still build LOS14 with monthly security patches for osprey last I checked. They said the hardware can't really handle newer versions of android that well so they stick to nougat. I tested both for like half an hour and I think 14 is better, but I still stuck to 17 because of the automatic LOS updater.
    Thanks a lot! Went for a spin and indeed GPS does work without internet connection! The dream!

Locations modules used: Deja Vu, GSM Location Service, Nominatim.

Edit: Can confirm bluetooth works via JBL Go speaker without lag.