• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][Unofficial][10.0.0][microG][signed]LineageOS 17.1 for Motorola G3 (osprey)

Search This thread

Tiki Thorsen

Jan 27, 2017
Argentina
Moto G
Moto G 2015
Using the latest build, I notice that while trying to take a picture of an electronic device label, it can never focus properly; at the moment I take the picture it gets out of focus, tried everything (app reset, change the options for focus, phone reboot, etc) and took like 15 pictures and is all the same.
Installing the Motorola Camera from Aurora Store, and it did not have this problem.

Using the latest build, I notice that while trying to take a picture of an electronic device label, it can never focus properly; at the moment I take the picture it gets out of focus, tried everything (app reset, change the options for focus, phone reboot, etc) and took like 15 pictures and is all the same.
Installing the Motorola Camera from Aurora Store, and it did not have this problem.
I have tried to reproduce the issue by taking a picture of a 2cm x 2cm QR code label on a piece of paper. ~ 5cm distance (if there is enough light) seems to be the limit, where a focus is still possible, but then taking a photo was no problem.

Tiki Thorsen

Jan 27, 2017
Argentina
Moto G
Moto G 2015
I have tried to reproduce the issue by taking a picture of a 2cm x 2cm QR code label on a piece of paper. ~ 5cm distance (if there is enough light) seems to be the limit, where a focus is still possible, but then taking a photo was no problem.
It could be an issue with my phone, since I also notice all Cameras app also crash/freeze sometimes with HDR.

The problem with the focus is only at short distance; if I take the picture at approximately 10-15 centimeters it can focus perfectly on the text, but if I get closer it cannot focus, no matter what setting.
As indicated before, my device can focus until ~ 5cm, I would guess that this may be specific to your device?

Last edited:
What do you think about the idea of adding NextCloud to your ROM to go alongside Seedvault as a similar MicroG alternative to the GDrive backup services?
(I use Nextcloud mainly for basic backup for my Contacts and Aegis)
Nextcloud can be installed as regular app without any issues. So I do not see your point.

NewUser012345

Jul 17, 2019
I just moved from 14.1 to 17.1. Wow great work!

But why is nobody talking about the solutions to format the SD card as internal?

I found a solution that someone posted in another topic. Thanks to that guy!

Because only 8 or 16 GB of storage is very limited.

!BACKUP your DATA!

1. install Minimal ADB and Fastboot on your PC.

2. Activate USB DEBUGGING on your Phone settings

3. Connect your Phone with USB Cabel to your PC

4. Start Minimal ADB and Fastboot

5. adb devices (accept the dialogue on your phone)

6. adb shell

7. sm list-disks (There it will tell you the number of your sd card, for example: disk: 179,64)

8. sm partition disk:179,64 mixed 50 (sm partition disk: (insert number of your sd) mixed 50)

So now 50% of your SD Card will be used as Internal Storage and 50% of your SD Card as external.

and voila, they already have the sd partitioned as external and internal, I don't know why the dev doesn't add it natively

9. Now go to Settings >System >Developer option > activate Unlock external storage for all apps

10. Now you can move all apps to external Storage (Well i think dont move Aurora Store, MicroG ..)

11. Settings > Storage > internal > choose an App you want to move > change >external

Im not 100% sure if all apps will work properly in external storage. But i tested some apps and they worked fine.

You can turn off Window animation make my phone much faster Settings > Developer option > Window animation (all turn off)

Last edited:
Reactions: MSe1969
Thanks for the positive feedback

But why is nobody talking about the solutions to format the SD card as internal?

. . .
Adoptable storage is an Android standard feature - however, the GUI only offers to format the entire SD card as Internal memory (your described approach is also new to me, so thanks for the contribution - but honestly, I don't see a real advantage of doing 50/50).
Advantage of adoptable storage obviously is the use as Internal memory, which indeed offers some potential for such a device - however, there are also two disadvantages, which need to be considered:
  1. Performance, as SD card is slower than flash memory and in fact the system will adapt to the SD card speed in total. So recommended to use a modern faster SD card (don't use the cheapest crap, and also don't try to revive x-year-old stuff).
  2. If your SD gets faulty (SD cards do have a limited life), you end up in having to do a factory reset. Again, if you go that path, don't use the cheapest crap... (see above)

You can turn off Window animation make my phone much faster Settings > Developer option > Window animation (all turn off)
Good tip (was known to me in general, but tbh, I forgot about that) - all tips to get a little bit of performance improvement on the osprey are welcome.

Reactions: Tiki Thorsen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I found a solution that someone posted in another topic. Thanks to that guy!

Because only 8 or 16 GB of storage is very limited.

!BACKUP your DATA!

1. install Minimal ADB and Fastboot on your PC.

2. Activate USB DEBUGGING on your Phone settings

3. Connect your Phone with USB Cabel to your PC

4. Start Minimal ADB and Fastboot

5. adb devices (accept the dialogue on your phone)

6. adb shell

7. sm list-disks (There it will tell you the number of your sd card, for example: disk: 179,64)

8. sm partition disk:179,64 mixed 50 (sm partition disk: (insert number of your sd) mixed 50)

So now 50% of your SD Card will be used as Internal Storage and 50% of your SD Card as external.

and voila, they already have the sd partitioned as external and internal, I don't know why the dev doesn't add it natively

9. Now go to Settings >System >Developer option > activate Unlock external storage for all apps

10. Now you can move all apps to external Storage (Well i think dont move Aurora Store, MicroG ..)

11. Settings > Storage > internal > choose an App you want to move > change >external

Im not 100% sure if all apps will work properly in external storage. But i tested some apps and they worked fine.

New build with October 2021 sec. patches available

Hi all,
    a new build is available and is offered already as OTA update through the Updater app:
    • ASB Security string 2021-10-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 93.0.4577.83
    Happy flashing - regards, M.
    This thread is dedicated to provide hardened Lineage-OS 17.1 builds with microG included for the Motorola Moto G 2015 (Osprey) with current security patches.

You can consider this thread as a successor of my LineageOS 16.0 Osprey thread
    Different from my 16.0 thread, I do not offer a "standard variant", as there is an official LineageOS 17.1 version available for the Osprey device.

Security hardened microG build
    Download here
    • Build is signed
    • Pre-installed microG and F-Droid like the LineageOS for microG project (own fork)
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore
    • Bromite as default browser
    • eSpeak TTS engine (FOSS TTS solution)
    • Additional security hardening features listed below
    • Cloudflare as default DNS (instead of Google)
    • Privacy-preferred default settings
    • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking (Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Optional disable captive portal detection or choose from various providers (default is GrapheneOS and not Google; Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Firewall UI (under Trust)
    • Increased max. password length of 64
    • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google when GPS is in use
    • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView
    • Extra control of sensor access for additionally installed user apps (Special access under app permissions)
    • Constified JNI method tables

Current release levels
    Security string: 2021-10-05
    AOSP tag: 10.0.0_r41
    Bromite Webview: M93

Source-code and build instructions
    Kernel: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_motorola_msm8916/tree/lineage-17.1 (official LineageOS)
    Build manifest: https://github.com/lin17-microG/local_manifests/tree/lin-17.1-microG

Installation Instructions

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE SOLELY YOURSELF FOR ANY ACTIONS YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE !!!

Please note - I won't explain any single aspect (e.g. how to install 'fastboot' on your PC or troubleshoot USB connectivity issues under Windows). Search the net and consult the search engine of your choice or look here in XDA, there is plenty information available.

Pre-Requisites
    • Get familiar with the hardware keys of the Motorola Moto G 2015 (osprey) device, especially how to enter fastboot mode (switch phone off hold power + volume down together for about 3 seconds) and recovery mode (in fastboot mode, switch with volume key to the reboot recovery option and select with power key)
    • Activate the Developer options (Settings, about phone: tap 7 times on the build number), get into the new menu Developer options and activate, if available, the option "OEM unlocking")
    • Have fastboot and adb installed on your PC and make sure, you can connect via USB to your device in fastboot mode and via adb
    • Download the most current .ZIP file of this ROM and place it to your phone's internal memory or SD card
    • An unlocked bootloader (read the warnings carefully and backup your data!)

Install TWRP recovery
    If you come from stock ROM and have just unlocked your boot loader, this is the next thing to do. If you have already a working custom recovery on your device, there is no necessity to replace it. However - I recommend to use the official TWRP recovery from the TWRP site. The following instructions are based on TWRP.
    To install TWRP, download the TWRP.img file (Note: replace "TWRP.img" in the following instructions with the real file name) from this section to your PC, connect the phone via USB to your PC, get it into 'fastboot mode' and enter the following command on your PC:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img
    Afterwards, directly boot into 'recovery mode' (enter fastboot reboot on your PC and use the right hardware keys to get into recovery mode) - I recommend not to boot the phone's Android system after having flashed TWRP. Once TWRP has been launched, you may decide to reboot your phone and install the ROM at any time later. But the first boot after flashing TWRP should be TWRP in recovery mode.

Advanced Wipe
    ONLY perform the steps described here, if you come from Stock ROM or a different Custom ROM!

Boot into recovery mode. In TWRP, choose "Wipe", "Advanced" and spefify "Dalvik", "System", "Cache" and "Data" to be wiped. Make sure NOT to wipe "Internal memory" or "SD Card". Swipe to confirm the deletion and get back into the main menu.

NO GApps!
    DO NOT attempt to flash GApps on this build! This build is "Google-free" comes with pre-installed AuroraStore and microG.
    If you absolutely want Gapps, download and flash the official LineageOS build for this device instead.

Install the ROM
    In the TWRP main menu, choose "Install". A file manager appears to let you navigate to your internal memory (path /sdcard) or your SD card (path /external_sd). Choose the .ZIP file of the ROM and swipe to flash. If you update from a previous version of the ROM, you don't need to perform a wipe. If you come from a different ROM (or stock firmware), make sure that you have performed the Wipe steps above. When finished flashing, return to the main menu, choose "Reboot" and then "System", which will cause your phone to boot into our Lineage OS 17.1 - be patient, the first boot after flashing a new ROM takes quite long!

microG
    After the first installation of this ROM, you need to setup microG.
    Please read the instructions given on the LineageOS for microG site, section "Post Install - UnifiedNlp"

Dealing with signed builds
    Please note, that my build is signed with an own key. When you come from a different build, you cannot directly "dirty-flash" this build. You have to perform a "clean flash".

Bug reports:
    If you have a problem please create a post with these information:
    Original Kernel shipped with this rom:
    Build Date:
    And try to get log as described here

Credits
    Android Open Source project (AOSP)
    LineageOS project
    althafvly
    chil360
    microG project
    csagan5 (Bromite)
    Whyorean (AuroraStore)
    Change log

2021-10-11

• ASB Security string 2021-10-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 93.0.4577.83

2021-09-12
    • ASB Security string 2021-09-05
    • microG 0.2.22.212658-2

2021-08-07
    • ASB Security string 2021-08-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 92.0.4515.134
    • F-Droid updated to 1.13
    • Fix in WiFi randomization

2021-07-10
    • ASB Security string 2021-07-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 91.0.4472.146
    • microG 0.2.21.212158-2
    • AuroraStore 4.0.7

2021-06-14
    • ASB Security string 2021-06-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 91.0.4472.102
    • microG 0.2.19211515-9

2021-05-11
    • ASB Security string 2021-05-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 90.0.4430.204
    • microG upstreamed (no version upgrade)
    • Update: AuroraServices 1.1.1

2021-04-13
    • ASB Security string 2021-04-01
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 90.0.4430.59
    • F-Droid updated to 1.12
    • Update: AuroraStore 4.0.4 with AuroraServices 1.1.0

2021-03-08
    • Security string 2021-03-05
    • Bromite System webview updated to 88.0.4324.207
    • Bromite Browser updated to 88.0.4324.207
    • F-Droid 1.11
    • microG 0.2.18.204714

2021-02-15
    • Security string 2021-02-05
    • Bromite System webview updated to 88.0.4324.141
    • Bromite Browser updated to 88.0.4324.141
    • F-Droid 1.10-alpha-234
    • microG 0.2.17.204714-5

2021-01-15 - Initial build
    • Pre-installed microG (0.2.16.204713-10) and F-Droid like the LineageOS for microG project (own fork)
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore
    • Bromite as default browser (87.0.4280.131)
    • eSpeak TTS engine (FOSS TTS solution)
    • Additional security hardening features listed below
    • Cloudflare as default DNS (instead of Google)
    • Privacy-preferred default settings
    • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking (Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Optional disable captive portal detection or choose from various providers (default is GrapheneOS and not Google; Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Firewall UI (under Trust)
    • Increased max. password length of 64
    • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google when GPS is in use
    • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView (87.0.4280.131)
    • Extra control of sensor access for additionally installed user apps (Special access under app permissions)
    • Constified JNI method tables
    New build with April 2021 sec. patches available

Hi all, a new build is available and already offered as OTA update through the Updater app:
    • ASB Security string 2021-04-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 90.0.4430.59
    • F-Droid updated to 1.12
    • Update: AuroraStore 4.0.4 with AuroraServices 1.1.0

Regarding AuroraStore:
    This is a major update, in case of weird havior of Aurora, go to Settings - apps, pick the AuroraStore app and delete memory and cache.

Happy flashing, regards - M.
    New build with March ASB patches

Hi all,
    a new build is ready for download and will soon be offered as OTA update through the Updater app:
    • Security string 2021-03-05
    • Bromite System webview updated to 88.0.4324.207
    • Bromite Browser updated to 88.0.4324.207
    • F-Droid 1.11
    • microG 0.2.18.204714
    Regarding Kernel:
    This update still has the "default" LineageOS kernel - haven't got any feedback so far from you regarding the upstreamed "chil360" kernel vs. the default LineageOS kernel . . .

Happy flashing - cheers, M.

EDIT: Update app will now offer the OTA update
    First, some context, I started with your ROM on lineage os 14, then 16 and now 17.
    In my opinion the 14 had the best feeling. Fast, reactive, even with a load of apps.

Official LOS17 has always been laggy for me on osprey. Some people still build LOS14 with monthly security patches for osprey last I checked. They said the hardware can't really handle newer versions of android that well so they stick to nougat. I tested both for like half an hour and I think 14 is better, but I still stuck to 17 because of the automatic LOS updater.