[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][10.0][ALI] LineageOS 17.1 [64 Bit][DISCONTINUED]

Search This thread

fwiep

Nov 17, 2016
www.fwiep.nl
Moto G6
Hi,

Thanks to @BetoxxDios pointers, I finally managed to build a recent LineageOS 17.1 for the ali-device. It has (at least) three things that bother me:
  • the microphone level goes down to almost-zero when a call is on loudspeaker
  • the Wifi-MAC address is set to a (possibly) generic 00:0a:f5 prefix
  • the build fingerprint still says the phone is a Google Pixel device (walleye)
I have tried to fix them, but failed.

I've copied over the audio-related xml-files from ResurrectionRemixOS to my /device/motorola/ali folder, and overwrote the files that were there. But the volume is still extremely low when the call is on speaker.

Can someone help me solve these puzzles? At least the first one listed above?

Thanks,
FWieP

TheShanMan

Oct 29, 2013
After installing LOS onto a G7, I'd now like to go from a twrp'ed and rooted stock 8.0 G6 to LOS, and have some questions:
  1. Since the G6 isn't up to date with updates, should I fully update it before installing LOS (I think that ensures I'm up to date with firmware???)?
  2. If I want to return to stock due to possible problems, will that be possible since it would be a downgrade of Android from 10 to 9 (I think downgrading is generally not possible, but perhaps that only applies when downgrading between 2 versions of stock Android)?
  3. What makes this "unofficial", i.e. why isn't it listed on the LOS devices page (though the G6 Plus is)?
  4. Any issues with using microG or magisk?
I don't mind a little experimentation because this isn't currently a daily driver phone, but my goal is to de-google my whole family so my goal is to make it a daily driver for another family member as soon as possible.

If the only notable problem with this ROM is no moto fingerprint gestures, then I'll be happy because I never used those anyway!

Thanks for supporting the G6!!!

fwiep

Nov 17, 2016
www.fwiep.nl
Moto G6
Hi, I'll try to answer to the best of my abilities.
  • Since the G6 isn't up to date with updates, should I fully update it before installing LOS (I think that ensures I'm up to date with firmware???)?
You shouldn't have to update to latest stock before installing LOS (or any custom ROM).

• If I want to return to stock due to possible problems, will that be possible since it would be a downgrade of Android from 10 to 9 (I think downgrading is generally not possible, but perhaps that only applies when downgrading between 2 versions of stock Android)?
I've downgraded my G6 (and Huawei Y550) many times from a custom ROM to stock without problems. After that, I could reinstall another or self-built ROM.

• What makes this "unofficial", i.e. why isn't it listed on the LOS devices page (though the G6 Plus is)?
Official means that there's at least one developer that has contacted LineageOS (or any ROM community officials) and claimed to support the device for an extended period of time. This means putting time and effort in maintenance and support, including implementing the monthly security patches. Sometimes this means that developer has access to the community's infrastructure (build systems, file hosting, wiki).

Unofficial means that no-one has made such a commitment (yet). Personally, I build unofficial LOS14.1 for the Huawei Y550.

• Any issues with using microG or magisk?
I have no experience with both. My devices are not rooted. I do use OpenGApps, though.

Hope this helps, kind regards,
FWieP

D

Deleted member 5232707

Any issues with using microG or magisk?
I don't know about this ROM explicitly, but LineageOS does not
support any of those. This is why it is important to me that my devices get official support in LineageOS, because automatically I get Lineage OS for MicroG builds. Being said this, in my experience, you can modify the OS with Nanolx and Magisk installers or even only using Magisk + a microG systemless extension.

As you say you can experiment a bit I would assume the most recent Magisk release is compatible with Lineage OS 17.1. Once you flash it, install the most up-to-date microG extension and... you will probably be fine. IF the MicroG extension NEEDS Signature Spoofing support in the system, just go to Nanolx website, download their Signature Spoofing Patcher zip (it is called NanoDroid-patcher), flash it using TWRP and you are good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: breversa

TheShanMan

Oct 29, 2013
Yeah, my new phone is a G7 so I went with Lineage for microG plus magisk, and I do understand that lineage doesn't support microG or magisk. Thanks for the input, and good timing on your reply because I was about to proceed anyway!

TheShanMan

Oct 29, 2013
Solved 'kernel not found'

I used Motorola Rescue and Smart Assistant Tool
First of all I restored the phone by using the rescue_and_smart_assistant and installed Android 9
Then I used: fastboot boot mali.img
In TWRP, I removed encryption by installing: Force_Encryption_Disabler_For_ALI_Oreo_v2.zip

Wipe, the standard wipe (factory reset) + Format data
Then reboot to bootloader, and again load TWRP: fastboot boot mali.img
Wipe again and install the system (lineage-17.1-20201001-UNOFFICIAL-ali.zip)
install Magisk
Wipe cache and Dalvik
reboot into system

First I was getting error 255, and realized I had to install the 64 bit twrp after rereading this thread. Then I was getting kernel not found so I installed the encryption disabler. I'm still getting it though. I was running stock android 8.0.0. Do I need to upgrade to stock 9 via the motorola tool before LOS will install successfully? If so, why? And if not, what could still be going wrong if I otherwise followed the above steps?

Also, when I go to motorola's G6 support page and navigate to the tool, it tells me it's not compatible with the G6. Huh?

Last edited:

TheShanMan

Oct 29, 2013
Rescuing to Android 9 was definitely the missing link. I've got LOS booting. Next up: microG and magisk. Glad this thread exists and those who have gone before me have shared their experiences which enabled me to get through this! :)

Reactions: breversa

TheShanMan

Oct 29, 2013
Flashed magisk, NanoDroid-patcher (definitely required on the G6), NanoDroid-microG, and NanoDroid-fdroid. Then I found that a bunch of the microG self checks were failing. I had to grant spoofing through Apps and Notifications -> Permission Manager -> Additional Permissions -> Signature Spoofing and "show system". Added Signature Spoofing Support, microG Services Core, and FakeStore. Once each of those were added, all the microG self checks passed. Hope this helps someone who comes after me! And thanks again to all the good info here.

EDIT: I'm noticing some basic differences between 17.1 on my G7 and 17.1 on my G6. Most notably, on my G7 I can individually hide notifications from the lock screen, but on my G6 the option isn't there (and I really wish it was). Since that's certainly more of an android feature than a phone model feature, why would there be differences like that?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solved 'kernel not found'

I bought a new phone, also XT1925-5 and unlocked. But also here, I get the same error:
    failed to load kernel!
    Stock Android was 8.0 and this rom is 10. could that be a problem?

I used Motorola Rescue and Smart Assistant Tool
    First of all I restored the phone by using the rescue_and_smart_assistant and installed Android 9
    Then I used: fastboot boot mali.img
    In TWRP, I removed encryption by installing: Force_Encryption_Disabler_For_ALI_Oreo_v2.zip

Wipe, the standard wipe (factory reset) + Format data
    Then reboot to bootloader, and again load TWRP: fastboot boot mali.img
    Wipe again and install the system (lineage-17.1-20201001-UNOFFICIAL-ali.zip)
    install Magisk
    Wipe cache and Dalvik
    reboot into system
    D
    Deleted member 5232707
    Any issues with using microG or magisk?
    I don't know about this ROM explicitly, but LineageOS does not
    support any of those. This is why it is important to me that my devices get official support in LineageOS, because automatically I get Lineage OS for MicroG builds. Being said this, in my experience, you can modify the OS with Nanolx and Magisk installers or even only using Magisk + a microG systemless extension.

As you say you can experiment a bit I would assume the most recent Magisk release is compatible with Lineage OS 17.1. Once you flash it, install the most up-to-date microG extension and... you will probably be fine. IF the MicroG extension NEEDS Signature Spoofing support in the system, just go to Nanolx website, download their Signature Spoofing Patcher zip (it is called NanoDroid-patcher), flash it using TWRP and you are good to go.
    Rescuing to Android 9 was definitely the missing link. I've got LOS booting. Next up: microG and magisk. Glad this thread exists and those who have gone before me have shared their experiences which enabled me to get through this! :)
    Flashed magisk, NanoDroid-patcher (definitely required on the G6), NanoDroid-microG, and NanoDroid-fdroid. Then I found that a bunch of the microG self checks were failing. I had to grant spoofing through Apps and Notifications -> Permission Manager -> Additional Permissions -> Signature Spoofing and "show system". Added Signature Spoofing Support, microG Services Core, and FakeStore. Once each of those were added, all the microG self checks passed. Hope this helps someone who comes after me! And thanks again to all the good info here.

EDIT: I'm noticing some basic differences between 17.1 on my G7 and 17.1 on my G6. Most notably, on my G7 I can individually hide notifications from the lock screen, but on my G6 the option isn't there (and I really wish it was). Since that's certainly more of an android feature than a phone model feature, why would there be differences like that?