[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][10.0][TB-X704F/L] LineageOS 17.1 for Lenovo Tab4 10 Plus

Googole

Jun 6, 2019
I noticed a issue.
Everytime I launch a app a red edge flashes around the screen.
Can you fix this in the next update please @codeworcx?

Tirofog

Dec 6, 2011
Huge appreciation to this dev for keeping these devices up to date and still valid.. the odd red flash, especially just after a screenshot.. I can live with that 👍🏼

samk23

Dec 7, 2020
Hi, I did a dirty flash to the Aug release and everything worked fine.

I am now trying to load the December ROM but TWRP is saying it is unable to mount storage.

Do I need to wipe the device first?

Thanks.

TvR-NL

Jan 23, 2021
Hey there, I've unlocked the bootloader. I can run TWRP by ADB commands. Haven't replaced OEM Bootloader cuz I dunno sure if I want to replace the original one, is this the problem? Do I really have to replace the bootloader? Haven't installed SU either, so I haven't rooted my device yet, is that the problem? Thought it was only maybe handy after flashing to LineAge OS. But it's hanging @ wiping System files.. Cache has been wiped it says but then hanging @ wiping system files, for real long time cuz I've gone to sleep while it was wiping and checked 10 hours later and it was still wiping system files.. (Tried maybe 3 times to wipe but last time I gave it really long chance.) So I've used Rescue and Smart Assistant to recover Stock ROM again. What am I doing wrong? xD

wilvanwil

Jan 27, 2013
Haarlem
Hey there, I've unlocked the bootloader. I can run TWRP by ADB commands. Haven't replaced OEM Bootloader cuz I dunno sure if I want to replace the original one, is this the problem? Do I really have to replace the bootloader? Haven't installed SU either, so I haven't rooted my device yet, is that the problem? Thought it was only maybe handy after flashing to LineAge OS. But it's hanging @ wiping System files.. Cache has been wiped it says but then hanging @ wiping system files, for real long time cuz I've gone to sleep while it was wiping and checked 10 hours later and it was still wiping system files.. (Tried maybe 3 times to wipe but last time I gave it really long chance.) So I've used Rescue and Smart Assistant to recover Stock ROM again. What am I doing wrong? xD
hope I can help you out... I got my second one running today.. 1st one was last year... struggled yesterday and today to get it working, but I think I have a fairly clear "manual" now... next post here ;-)

wilvanwil

Jan 27, 2013
Haarlem
(TB-X704F (Wifi)) Lenovo Tab4 10 Plus

ok, this time I want to make it more clear, as I tried to flash my second tablet to Lineage 17,
but it didn't go as fast as I hoped for... trying to follow my post from last year.... :-o

this "manual" finally did it for me!(back up your tablet if you want to, I have no manual for that, google please)

before flashing anything:
1. go to Settings in your current Android(probably 7.1 or older Lineage), and in Developer Options(go to About Phone, then Build Number, tick that 7 times, then you should be able to find Developer Options...if not found google how to),
In Developer Options, make sure to unlock the bootloader: allow USB Debugging, and Allow OEM Unlocking.

Be aware in the end I have cleaned the tablet fully, so actually no OS(no Android, no Lineage) on it, only bootloader access, no problem. I got it working fine after that.

Go to the first page of this thread for these downloads....
2. Download Lineage OS 17.1, and a TWRP version (I used twrp-3.3.1-0-X704F.img).
Download OpenGApps(I used the nano version from here:
https://droidfilehost.com/download/download-open-gapps-fixed-arm64-10-0-20200131/ )

TWRP is the tool you will be actually starting from you pc/laptop, but will be showing on your tablet.

3. download Adb and Fastboot tool to you pc/laptop from here:

Make sure you know the location of these files on your pc!!
(Would be a folder named ADB and Fastboot or similar) If I understand well, this has also drivers that will make sure your tablet is recognised by your pc/laptop.
(otherwise if tablet is not found, use the official site and get the correct drivers...
)

4. Copy Lineage and OpenGApps to a microsd card.(leave as is, so .zip files). Put the microsd card in your tablet.

5. Locate your ADB(and fastboot) folder in Windows Explorer, and make sure to copy the TWRP file in that folder(twrp-3.3.1-0-X704F.img )

6. Shut Down the tablet. Then to get in the Fastboot mode: push the on/off button together with the volume + button, till you feel the vibration. The fastboot mode will show. You will read in green: START, and in red: FASTBOOT MODE.
Also in red it should show: DEVICE STATE - unlocked.
Connect the tablet with your pc/laptop with a USB-C cable, your pc should recognise your tablet(make a sound in my case), if not shown somehow when you click "This PC" in Explorer(Showing an icon with "Android" or your Tablet number(TB X704F in my case),
you will need to make sure the Lenovo drivers get installed.)

7. As soon as connected to your pc/laptop, you will be starting TWRP, the tool with which you will be performing the flashing of the Lineage OS 17.1 and the OpenGApps. The tablet still needs to be in Fastboot Mode. If not, make sure to go to step 6 again.

To start TWRP, go to the Explorer folder where you installed the ADB and Fastboot files, and where you copied the TWRP image file to.
Starting the TWRP app will be done by performing a command prompt. If you are an expert in using Commands, make sure to open a command prompt window, and navigate to the folder where the files are stored.(so in my case the files are in directory C:\adb>)

If you are not an expert in command prompt, go to Windows Explorer, click the folder where you have the files,(folder ADB, or ADB and Fastboot. as long as the adb, fasboot and TWRP files are there!!)
Click on the Explorer Address Bar, it will turn blue, just type "cmd", and hit enter, a Command Prompt window will open, which will be the exact one you will need.
(check how to:
2nd option, easy :)) )

It should show: C:\adb> (or similar, depending on the exact folder name, I renamed my folder to "ADB" )

8. Now copy the prompt "fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-0-X704F.img" , where twrp-3.3.1-0-X704F.img should be the exact file name you saved earlier in the folder.

hit Enter, and in a couple of seconds, TWRP will show on your tablet.

What I did first was, go to Swipe, then "Swipe to factory reset"
Then I did Advance Wipe, first ticked Cache, then "Swipe to wipe", no reboot, then also did that for Internal Storage, Data and System and Dalvik/Art Cache. Then I did a reboot, it should
reboot to the Fastboot mode.(point 6.)
For me this felt, like the tablet was quite clean, and ready to go ;-)

So then, the part of my post from last year that seems to make it work:

So start TWRP again with the prompt in the command prompt window.(beginning of step 8.)

(the next step for me, was the most important, so pls follow in detail)
9. TWRP: Make sure to untick the "auto reboot" in the general settings. Do everything in the settings now to prevent auto reboot.

In TWRP I went to the WIPE menu, Advanced wipe, selected everything except usb or SD card storage. (so system, data, internal storage, cache etc.). Swipe to wipe. (no reboot)
Also do "Format Data" where you need to enter "yes". Check everything except external/sd storage. Do NOT REBOOT.
Then to the Mount menu, I mounted the data, the system, cache, dalvik, vendor, AND I UNTICKED the Read only part.
Then you push "Select Storage", and I selected Internal Storage.
Back. (remember no rebooting!!!)

Then go to Install, Select storage, in my case the SD card, then FIRST(!!!) select the Lineage OS17 zip file, (I had no need to tick password verification, and untick reboot after flash)
Then swipe to confirm to flash it.***

DO NOT REBOOT YET, otherwise your Google OpenGapps will not get loaded!!!
Shouldn't take too long, go back, and then also flash the Open Gapps(or any compatible Google apps zip file you have)
(I had no need to tick password verification, and untick reboot after flash)

Then after that one, reboot, and keep your fingers crossed....
For me the reboot was fine and started with some google installations, then Lineage.

Google Play Store was there, and then you I could start downloading apps as normal.

*** When flashing Lineage OS 17.1 the bar should show progressing fairly quick, if you are waiting a minute and see no progress, then it's not working. Push the on /off button till the tablet restarts, go to step 8. again and prompt for the TWRP app, and try to clean/wipe everything again.
Perhaps first start with Wipe Cache only, then Internal storage only, data only etc. without rebooting.
For me, I had the idea the more I wiped and cleaned, the better I got it working finally.
From step 9. you really need to follow these in detail.

If something stalls in TWRP, just push the on/off button untill the tablet reboots,
I trust it still will go to Fastboot mode, and go to step 8. again.

wilvanwil

Jan 27, 2013
Haarlem
I have not used SU either, I have not done anything to replace the OEM bootloader(I think, at least not in my "manual"), I haven't rooted my device either. When something is not showing any progress within a minute, I can now tell you it's not going to happen, just push on/off button till the tablet reboots, and retry, I suggest for you from point 8. in my "manual", see post before this one.
Follow the steps in detail. That really worked for me.(at least with the files I used, if it's not working for you, try to get the same files as I used... should work....)

good luck!!

(of kan ik zeggen: Succes! ;-) )

Last edited:
Reactions: dkoek

zynexiz

Sep 1, 2011
Halmstad
Having some issues with root (Magisk), efter mounting system as rw nothing can start anymore. Just get a white screen on all apps i try launch, even the launcher itself sometimes. If the device goes to sleep, the UI gets more or less unresponsive (soft buttons react, but nothing else). It's a fresh installation with NanoDroid patch for MicroG and Magisk. Have to force reboot to get it running again. Never had this issue before on any device.

[EDIT] Just wiped all and tried just LinageOS + Magisk, doesn't seem like they like each other. System hangs completely when mounting system rw. Used an erlier build until today, with gapps. That worked (not sure what version, but was from mid last year I think).

Also noticed that the SU-addon doesn't flash, just get a error from it. Not sure if the v16 is incompatible with 17.1? Get Error on lstat of /system/addon.d/51-addonsu.sh: No such file or directory.

Last edited:

Ecthelion4

Apr 14, 2017
Also noticed that the SU-addon doesn't flash, just get a error from it. Not sure if the v16 is incompatible with 17.1? Get Error on lstat of /system/addon.d/51-addonsu.sh: No such file or directory.
Can't help you with Magisk, but the LOS 16 SU addon is definitely incompatible with LOS 17.1. There no longer is an SU addon for LOS 17.1, only Magisk if you want root access.

zynexiz

Sep 1, 2011
Halmstad
Can't help you with Magisk, but the LOS 16 SU addon is definitely incompatible with LOS 17.1. There no longer is an SU addon for LOS 17.1, only Magisk if you want root access.
It works with Magisk as long as I don't try remount the system rw, have to use TWRP/ADB shell to make changes to the system. Bit of a hassle, but it works. Bit odd, because it worked with erlier release I used of Lineage. Well well... technology :)

Googole

Jun 6, 2019
Every time if I try to open Google Play Store it crashes.
The error message "Google Play Store keeps stopping" pops up all the time unless I disable Google Play Store
I had fixed it by reflashing the ROM and updating GApps but now the problem is returned.
It really drives me crazy so I use APKPure for now.
Could it be because it's app related or is this problem fixable?

R!ffRaff

Oct 21, 2019
@Googole

which gapps do you use exactly? you installed the last and current ones again (dirty flash). Also google sometimes makes mistakes which can be fixed with the next update. has the playtore version changed or has it been updated?

Googole

Jun 6, 2019
@Googole

which gapps do you use exactly? you installed the last and current ones again (dirty flash). Also google sometimes makes mistakes which can be fixed with the next update. has the playtore version changed or has it been updated?
I use GApps Nano and I've the newest Google Play Store.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone