• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][10.0][TB-X704F/L] LineageOS 17.1 for Lenovo Tab4 10 Plus

Search This thread

Cypher_01

Nov 18, 2012
[email protected],

I'm running LineageOS 16.0 on my TB-X704L. I want to upgrade to 17.1. The initial post says "Upgrade to latest available official firmware".

I downloaded TB-X704L_S000056_181015_ROW_DCC.zip, but I have problems flashing it.

Under Windows one should use QcomDloader, but it fails after 5 seconds, just displaying "FAILED" without reporting any reason.

I found a tutorial how to flash under Linux using a command line tool called qdl. But this one neither works, it doesn't detect the device. It's stuck on "Waiting for EDL device".

I'm not sure if I get the device to EDL mode correctly. What should the screen display in EDL mode? Is it just black?

Can someone help me?

Muad.Dib

Check out this website

Thanks a lot.

I actually ended up on that website yesterday night just before I logged off.
I am still getting those. Best than nothing to have QFIL images, still looking for fastboot ones (easier to deal with) but at least I have those in case I mess up with things badly ;)

Regards,

thefear900

Sep 15, 2019
I've upgraded from 16 to the latest 17.1 and I have a few issues.
My IMEI is unknown so mobile data is not functioning. It also complains that it is signed with public keys at startup. I plan to reflash it with a clean install, in the meantime, how can I fix the IMEI issue?

Edit: playing with the APN settings has got me connected to 4G again. I'll just wipe later and hope all is well.

Edit 2: that 4G works for a few moments then disconnects, requiring the mobile radio power to be toggled to reconnect.

Last edited:

PureMAD4

Jan 11, 2008
Does anyone know if a tab 4 8 plus custom ROM will work on a tab 4 10 plus. The devices are really similar except the screen size. Or can it be modded easily?

Muad.Dib

Does anyone know if a tab 4 8 plus custom ROM will work on a tab 4 10 plus. The devices are really similar except the screen size. Or can it be modded easily?

They wont work. Device maybe very similar they still have some significant differences.
Regarding modding one for an other I imagine someone who know what he is doing could probably get inspiration from one to make rom from the other device, but that's still far beyond my own scope of understanding. Thinks are common (tb-common from @highwaystar_ru) while some stuff are device specific from what I can see from the git repo.

Maybe someone who knows a lot more about Rom modding will be able to provide you with a more complete answer.

Regards,

Reactions: PureMAD4

LumenReaper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
Hello all,

does anyone here build the rom themselves? I built the rom yesterday according to the local_manifest and installed it on my X704F. Everything ran smoothly, but the system does not recognise the fingerprint sensor. There is no entry in settings. With the December update, the sensor still worked for me.

I'm not sure if @codeworkx is still reading this thread.

Thank you very much.

LumenReaper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
Here we go again, after building LOS 17.1 last weekend, it's LOS 18.1 this weekend. Thinking back, Lenovo didn't release a single major update for this device.

Screenshot_20210425-043143_Settings.png

From very brief testing, I can say that the camera and fingerprint scanner do not work. I will test the new OS in detail in the next few days and then create a separate thread soon.

mbryantuk

Feb 21, 2012
Here we go again, after building LOS 17.1 last weekend, it's LOS 18.1 this weekend. Thinking back, Lenovo didn't release a single major update for this device.

View attachment 5290209

From very brief testing, I can say that the camera and fingerprint scanner do not work. I will test the new OS in detail in the next few days and then create a separate thread soon.
Cant wait for a new build :)

PureMAD4

Jan 11, 2008

View attachment 5290209

Thank you for trying to keep this tablet alive. I'll definitely give another donation to you for your work once it's out. I hope others can do the same to show appreciation

Ecthelion4

Apr 14, 2017
Hello all,

does anyone here build the rom themselves? I built the rom yesterday according to the local_manifest and installed it on my X704F. Everything ran smoothly, but the system does not recognise the fingerprint sensor. There is no entry in settings. With the December update, the sensor still worked for me.

Thank you very much.
codeworksx was last active here in the forums in August last year. He may have a new alias and might still be watching this thread. But given that he did not post anything for months I doubt that. Therefore it's a bit harder to find out why the sensor is not working while it worked in his builds. I don't know whether the Tab 4 10 Plus has similar hardware as the Tab 4 8 Plus has, but if this were the case, then perhaps highwaystar_ru or lancebuks, who both created builds for the Tab 4 8 Plus, may help.

A bit different topic: I would like to give building LOS for the Tab 4 10 Plus a try. For a start I wanted to try with an officially supported device and followed the build instructions for the Sony XZ2. I could circumvent the first few pitfalls where the instructions weren't 100% precise, but the attempt finally failed at the point where I wanted to execute the command "breakfast akari". The instructions say that I may then proceed with the next steps and extract the device blobs before returning to this command, but that failed because I ran the build from a Ubuntu VM inside Windows, where I could not access the phone via USB. Perhaps I can try again via adb over wifi. But in any case, could you perhaps help me with the special steps for building LOS 17.1 for the Tab 4 10 Plus? That would be great.

LumenReaper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
codeworksx was last active here in the forums in August last year. He may have a new alias and might still be watching this thread. But given that he did not post anything for months I doubt that. Therefore it's a bit harder to find out why the sensor is not working while it worked in his builds. I don't know whether the Tab 4 10 Plus has similar hardware as the Tab 4 8 Plus has, but if this were the case, then perhaps highwaystar_ru or lancebuks, who both created builds for the Tab 4 8 Plus, may help.
I believe the 8 Plus has the fingerprint sensor in the power button, so I just assume they are different. However, since I have moved on to LineageOS 18.1, I will only deal with fixing the scanner there.
A bit different topic: I would like to give building LOS for the Tab 4 10 Plus a try. For a start I wanted to try with an officially supported device and followed the build instructions for the Sony XZ2. I could circumvent the first few pitfalls where the instructions weren't 100% precise, but the attempt finally failed at the point where I wanted to execute the command "breakfast akari". The instructions say that I may then proceed with the next steps and extract the device blobs before returning to this command, but that failed because I ran the build from a Ubuntu VM inside Windows, where I could not access the phone via USB. Perhaps I can try again via adb over wifi. But in any case, could you perhaps help me with the special steps for building LOS 17.1 for the Tab 4 10 Plus? That would be great.
Normally, there are vendor trees available for existing device trees, so you don't have to pull blobs out of the device for simple building. However, I did this once and it worked without problems for an Ubuntu-VM with VMware Player on a Windows host.

I have listed the required steps in my repository. Of course, to build LineageOS 17.1 you need to use the codeworkx' repositories (see manifest above). I also can recommend this YouTube tutorial.

Ecthelion4

Apr 14, 2017
Hello all,

Thank you very much.
FYI, meanwhile I could successfully finish my first LOS 17.1 build for the TBX704. It shows the same behaviour as your build i.e. everything works fine except for the fingerprint sensor.

In logcat I can see the following lines repeating every few seconds:
2021-05-12 17:23:57.581 14230-14230/? D/FingerGoodix: fingerprint open
2021-05-12 17:23:57.581 14230-14230/? D/FingerGoodix: Max fp number: 12
2021-05-12 17:23:57.581 14230-14230/? D/FingerGoodix: createListenerThread
2021-05-12 17:23:57.581 14230-14230/? D/FingerGoodix: fpcode, set_active_group_to_channel(0, '/data/system/users/0/fpdata/')
2021-05-12 17:23:57.581 14230-14230/? D/FingerGoodix: fpcode, create data dir.
2021-05-12 17:23:57.581 14230-14230/? D/FingerGoodix: fpcode, goodix sensor need to init. merged
2021-05-12 17:23:57.582 14230-14232/? D/FingerGoodix: fpcode, listenerFunction(0x7db1acf000)
2021-05-12 17:23:57.582 14230-14232/? D/FingerGoodix: fpcode, recv_fp_scan_data(0x7dae213c80)
2021-05-12 17:23:57.582 14230-14232/? D/FingerGoodix: fpcode, recv_fp_scan_data(), receiving

To me this looks like the fingerprint sensor tries to initialize. But something seems to miss.
@LumenReaper : If you have any idea how to fix this (AFAIK you are working on a LOS 18.1 build and there the FP sensor also does not work yet), then please drop me a note. Thx

LumenReaper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
To me this looks like the fingerprint sensor tries to initialize. But something seems to miss.
@LumenReaper : If you have any idea how to fix this (AFAIK you are working on a LOS 18.1 build and there the FP sensor also does not work yet), then please drop me a note. Thx
@Coffeinflash is currently working on fingerprint for 18.1. Many thanks to him btw. Maybe it's worthwhile for you two to exchange ideas.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hanging on the boot animation
    This is driving me crazy. I've flashed 17.1 but it hangs on the boot animation - and yes, I've left it for way longer than 30 minutes.

I've tried it with TWRP 3.3.1 and with the latest TWRP 3.5.2 - no change.
    I've tried it with & without flashing Magisk & Gapps as well - no difference.
    I've done system resets & reformatted the various internal partitions - no change.
    I've flashed locally and via ADB sideload - no difference. And I tried a suggestion I found online of flashing 17.1 via TWRP then reflashing boot.img via Fastboot, that didn't help either.

Oh, and I also tried Lineage 16.1 and 18.1 with the same results -the boot animation just runs and runs.

I can get into Fastboot & Recovery OK, but that's all. The device is unlocked and was rooted before. Fastboot still shows "Secure Boot - enabled" which worries me a bit, but I don't think I can change it.

Any suggestions I've not tried yet, or of things I might have missed, are very welcome! o_O
    On the Lenovo TB-8704, which I owned for some time, I had a similar problem when not wiping the data partition. Although this is not mentioned on the first page of this thread in the installation instructions I think not wiping can lead to exactly the problem you described also on the X704. In this posting here in the thread another member described how he finally succeeded in installing the ROM. Perhaps this helps.
    LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

SCREENSHOTS

3rd PARTY ADDONS/MODS
    While we have no issues with people using supersu/magisk/xposed/custom kernels/etc, we can't provide support for users who have them installed.
    This thread is not the right place to discuss about mods/addons.

HOW TO INSTALL LINEAGEOS
    - Upgrade to latest available official firmware
    - Upgrade to latest available TWRP
    - Download the LineageOS zip(s). (see Downloads)
    - Copy the LineageOS zip to internal sdcard.
    - Unlock bootloader and install TWRP.
    - Boot into TWRP.
    - Perform a backup of your current ROM. (Optional)
    - RECOMMENDED: Do a factory reset! No support if you didn't!
    - Flash LineageOS.
    - Optional: Install the Google Apps addon package. (see Downloads)
    - Reboot

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS
    - Flash LineageOS.
    - Update the Google Apps addon package if it is installed on your current LineageOS version.
    - Reboot

HOW TO UPGRADE LINEAGEOS FROM LOWER VERSION
    - Upgrade to latest available official firmware
    - Upgrade to latest available TWRP
    - Flash LineageOS.
    - Update the Google Apps addon package if it was installed on your previous LineageOS version.
    - Reboot

DOWNLOADS
    LineageOS 17.1: AFH | Sourceforge
    LineageOS 17.0: AFH | Sourceforge
    Migration-Tools: AFH (Unofficial->Official, Official->Unofficial)
    SU-Addon: Official | Unofficial
    Google Apps: http://opengapps.org/ | BETA
    TWRP: XDA Thread

DEVELOPER RESOURCES
    https://github.com/lineageos/android_device_lenovo_TBX704
    https://github.com/lineageos/android_device_lenovo_tb-common
    https://github.com/lenovo-devs/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953
    https://github.com/lenovo-devs/proprietary_vendor_lenovo

HOW TO CONTRIBUTE?
    Send your patches up for review: https://review.lineageos.org/

Screenshot_20210425-043143_Settings.png

new build up.

- bluetooth should work now
    - selinux enforced
    new build of lineageos 17.1 uploaded to AFH.