[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][10.0][tb8704f/x/v] LineageOS 17.1 for Lenovo TAB 4 8 plus

Search This thread

Pedros97

Mar 29, 2008
Praha
I'm having some trouble with this new build. I downloaded directly from Google Drive to my TB8704F, and the zip looked ok - Solid Explorer showed its contents correctly. However, the installation stuck on the Lenovo splash boot image.
I downloaded again on my laptop. WinRAR tested it ok, so I'm happy that the zip is good. However, same result - stuck on Lenovo splash image.
This is a dirty flash over Pedro's previous November build, which worked fine. I wiped only Cache & Dalvik.
Edit: Not a big deal, as I've recovered to the TWRP backup I took just before flashing, and it's running fine again. Is it just me? Can anyone please confirm that they've installed the new version ok, and perhaps I'll have another try?
Hi it happened to me too I don't know why.After the first flash this rom Lenovo stuck on splash screnn.Then I restarted in TWRP and dirty flash over the rom again and everything was ok. Boot success

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210313-213956_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20210313-213956_Settings.png
    158.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

dahawthorne

Nov 15, 2014
Brighton
Thanks, Pedro. It looks as if Magisk was the problem. I tried a dirty flash several times, even used Magisk's uninstall.zip to remove it, but finally used Magisk's internal "uninstall Magisk", rebooted, dirty-flashed, and it works fine. A new install of Magisk has also worked, and my tablet is finally up to date.
Thanks again for your work in keeping my TB8704F running. Much appreciated.

Reactions: DanMedesan

swieder711

Aug 31, 2011
Boston
I am still on LOS17.1 2020-06-01. Can I dirty flash the latest ROM 03-10-21 from this thread thru TWRP 3.4.0.0? I have the TB-8704F.

I have backups on TWRP and TiBu, if needed. Just like to know what I am getting myself into with an upgrade.

Thanks in advanced.

dahawthorne

Nov 15, 2014
Brighton
You helped me last year so it's good that I have a chance to reciprocate... 😊
As you'll have read above, a dirty flash works fine as long as you remove Magisk first. You're not jumping a major version, only upgrading, so you should be OK. I also used TWRP 3.4.

Reactions: swieder711

swieder711

Aug 31, 2011
Boston
I uninstalled Magisk, Dirty flashed 03-10-21 and then rebooted with no issues. Had a slight bump flashing the modified boot.img. Kept getting "fastboot: error: Couldn't parse partition size '0x'." Had to add the :raw option to fastboot which is a first for me.

fastboot flash:raw boot boot.img did the trick.

Thanks to everyone. Nice to have the latest security patches.

Hnktc

Aug 31, 2011
Italy
I uninstalled Magisk, Dirty flashed 03-10-21 and then rebooted with no issues. Had a slight bump flashing the modified boot.img. Kept getting "fastboot: error: Couldn't parse partition size '0x'." Had to add the :raw option to fastboot which is a first for me.

fastboot flash:raw boot boot.img did the trick.

Thanks to everyone. Nice to have the latest security patches.

No way for me to install lates release., crash on first reboot. i have turned on Pixel..

zapp_em

Nov 18, 2007
Awesome. Thanks @highwaystar_ru and @lancebuks for your amazing work!

I baked my own ROM with latest security updates based on @lancebuks repository and TWRP build.
(Many thanks @lancebuks for your awesome description on how to compile the ROM and also on how to properly set up Magisk. First time I did both as a complete noob and worked perfectly! Took about an hour to sync repo and another hour for build)

Generally it works like a charm:
  • A loooot less power consumption in standby on my tablet (3-4% battery loss in standby over night compared to 10-15% with stock ROM!). The standby consumption was always annoying with the stock ROM.
  • An updated Android version with latest security updates! (Lenovo update support is horrible but the device is still very good and there is unfortunately no proper 8inch android tablet on the market)
  • Everything is as smooth as it can be (for sure, it is not a high power device, I have the LTE Version with 64GB and 4GB RAM)
A few things unfortunatley do not work on my device:
  • I can not get a USB connection to PC to work when booted to android. The tablet is completely not recognized by the PC. I've tested it with different ROMS, different TWRP versions, different PCs and different OS (Windows & Linux). It works instantly when going back to stock. Can someone confirm that? Or does someone know a workaround? Is it a setting in TWRP? USB connection does work in recovery (TWRP 3.4.0.0 from @lancebuks)
  • Unfortunately, the HALL sensor doesn't seem to work and therefore no switch on/off on case open/close. Unfortunately, I do not understand enough to investigate here. It is still a lot of magic how the android build works.
    (I don't know if it is something in the many configuration files from @highwaystar_ru or in the kernel from Lenovo. I don't even know if the official kernel from Lenovo is used for the build...and unfortunately I don't have the time to learn all of that.)

Again, big kudos to @highwaystar_ru and @lancebuks!

Peter-1130

Apr 5, 2021
First of all Thanks for all the efforts and the great work on this ROM.

I am new to this forum and recently tried to update my 8704F on Android 8.1 to Lineage 17,1.

Unlocked Bootloader, flashed with TWRP 3.3.1.0, erased and formatted everything and finally installed 17.1-20200906 and gapps-arm64-10.0-nano.

So far everything worked without problems, device booted and primary installation process started, as usual. But unfortunately it stopped and freezed after showing the page "Voice search any time". I repeated everything with TWRP 3.4.0 and also with Gapps Micro, but no change at all, again freezing on "Voice..." page.

As I coluld not find that "behaviour" elsewhere here, I would appreciate any help on this issue. Many Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Peter-1130

Apr 5, 2021
Followup -> WORKING !!

I changed (in TWRP) from the installation media SD-Card to USB-OTG, did the same as before and now everything is OK, System up and running. So obviouly a defect SD-card.

Once again Thanks to all who made that ROM possible !

Last edited:
Reactions: swieder711

hunnia41

Apr 16, 2015
Many many thanks to @highwaystar_ru for your work!

Does anyone know whether Lenovo Tab4 and Tab3 8 Plus (P8) will get an update to Android 11 (Lineage 18) ?
I am patiently waiting. :) It might not be as simple as that. I installed Android 11 GSI into a treble compatible phone. All is well, Installed Magisk app. Canary as recommended, patched and installed boot, and got a bricked device, which did not even boot to recovery of fast boot. Had to reflash stock, through a special flash program. Considering how much problems people have now, I rather wait till android 11 is more fool proof. (The problem is that the initialization in android 11 changed a bit and magisk have to batch boot a bit differently.) Not to mention that with a factory wipe playstore in android stopped working for me, complaining that the device is not certified, which is true, but it worked with 10. I am afraid that in 4 years I will have to switch to IPAD, since android vendors only update for <2 years, and by that time custom roms will not be able to handle secure (banking) applications.
Note: I am very happy with this Lineageos 17.1. Works perfectly. Some places they mentioned that Android 11 is around 10% slower than Android 10, so why switch.

Last edited:

kchat

• Oct 16, 2014
    Kolkata
    Hello, everybody! I'd tremendously appreciate if anyone guides me to the right direction. My case is nothing new. Everything has been reported here countless times already. So, I will try to refrain from repeating as much as I can. Firstly, my tab is - TB-8704X (with volte). Secondly, right now I'm using Lineage OS 14.1 (Nougat 7.1.2). The reason should be obvious. I virtually struggled for three days and half of three sleepless red & blurry eyed nights to get the 17.1 or at least 16.1 to work. It was all in vain. The proper drivers are set up in my Windows 7 laptop. Although, I uninstalled & reinstalled them multiple times to make sure ADB is working fine. And, it was... Until it was not. 17.1 & 16.1 gave me innumerable boot loops and never reached the home screen. TWRP is flashed permanently. It was with version 3.2.3.0, I was trying to do everything but failed as usual. Just last night, after completing each and every thread here in XDA, that I found version 3.4.& immediately flashed it. This was on the phone's side. But as I said earlier, the ADB started acting strangely maybe for the continuous harassment I put it through and finally after the command of 'adb shell' showed that the daemon has started to run successfully, with the next command of 'adb devices', it came up with something like this :- ~7777777777777?[N]. I believe somewhere in this thread @ashu.droid mentioned something similar. And, for me, once this problem started up, it just never went away. Yes, I uninstalled, reinstalled everything, including ADB obviously for, I sincerely don't know how many times. But, like I said the problem continues to persist. As, I've no other PC/Laptop, so I guess, anything to do from this laptop with ADB is out of question now. With 14.1, currently I can't use a) Back Camera, b) Torch, c) Flash, d) BT, e) possibly WiFi (I don't use it much, but when I do, it says "connected. But there's no Internet"!). They simply refuse to work. Trust me, I really tried. I can't use either superSU or Magisk, because of the banking apps. Magisk failed me in this regard in some of my other phones and obviously superSU goes the same way. So, right now all I have is only TWRP 3.4. And, if I have to do anything, it's my only chance. As previously mentioned, ADB has completely gone out of the window! So, can anyone please help? Should I take another chance (only with TWRP though!) or should I leave it alone? It's been about a week at least that I'm using 14.1. So, by now I've some considerable amount of data in the tab. I can't start from the scratch again! Please, if anyone gets any idea, kindly let me know! I am aware this thread is old, but I just got my tab about 3 weeks ago and since then I was just fighting and struggling to get 17.1 (or, at least 16.1) but I hope, I've already clearly stated what transpired between me and my tab! Kind regards...
    Edit : Forgot to mention, I was doing all this from the stock ROM. I did make a nandroid backup. But when I wiped everything and tried to recover the backup, in order to try again v.17.1, it was unsuccessful.

Last edited:

maddler

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin
    1st of all, thank you SO MUCH to everybody contributing to this! Was pretty sad to let my tablet go just because the lack of updates from Lenovo.
    LineageOS install went just fine but I'm now stuck with Gapps. Trying with 10.0 arm64 nano but TWRP is stuck on "mounting partitions" since at least 10m.
    Any clue anyone?

EDIT: tried both with TWRP 3.2.3 and .3.4.0, same result
    EDIT: wiping DATA did the trick

Last edited:

gjuny

• Dec 20, 2010
    Curitiba
    Thanks highwaystar_ru for this! I was stuck on Android 7 on my "v" variant. I do have the same issue as others reported here: my bluetooth keeps crashing. Does anyone have any idea on how to get this fixed? I typically use bluetooth headphones with my tablet and not having them is a bit inconvinient.

Thanks!

schiff1108

Mar 26, 2015
    Munich
    OK. I had a slight issue with this ROM in so much that the compass sensor was not functioning correctly but this could be down to Lineage 17 (and 16). See "update" at the end.
    Anyway, returning to stock Android 8.1.0 did not prove easy. I tried many suggested methods and many fake websites, but because it's quite old now most of the downloads had gone or simply didn't work anymore including the Lenovo Rescue etc.

I eventually found the required files, so if anyone wishes to go back to stock Android 8 on TB-8704F then I made a note of my steps and hosted the required files. Here's my quick "how to" and it may help others.

Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus - TB-8704F Only - Return to stock Oreo 8.1.0
    ================================================================

Download img files from:
    or

1. Go into TWRP and do a backup of all Lineage 17.1 partitions
    2. Factory reset
    3. Wipe all partitions but NOT EFS, BOOT, Recovery or SD Card, i.e wipe System, Data, Cache etc

Unzip all three files from the zip and then boot tablet into Fastboot mode, then as 3 seperate commands:

fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash system system.img

When flashing system you wil get the following message and it will pause/stop
    "Invalid sparse file format at header magic"

I just pressed Ctrl-C (perhaps any key would have worked) and it carried on without errors

Sending sparse 'system' 1/7 (519763 KB) OKAY [ 11.894s]
    Writing 'system' OKAY [ 14.856s]
    Sending sparse 'system' 2/7 (521748 KB) OKAY [ 11.726s]
    Writing 'system' OKAY [ 14.144s]
    Sending sparse 'system' 3/7 (520839 KB) OKAY [ 11.715s]
    Writing 'system' OKAY [ 14.055s]
    Sending sparse 'system' 4/7 (485244 KB) OKAY [ 10.969s]
    Writing 'system' OKAY [ 13.151s]
    Sending sparse 'system' 5/7 (520428 KB) OKAY [ 11.771s]
    Writing 'system' OKAY [ 24.616s]
    Sending sparse 'system' 6/7 (517514 KB) OKAY [ 11.714s]
    Writing 'system' OKAY [ 23.773s]
    Sending sparse 'system' 7/7 (496445 KB) OKAY [ 11.285s]
    Writing 'system' OKAY [ 20.179s]

Re-boot and stock Android 8.1.0 is back. Note: First boot can take a while. Patience.
    Check for updates after setup. There are two later versions available via OTA

During the first OTA Update you will receive an error
    "unknown flag verity" error at the end of the update

After the update boot into stock Recovery and Factory reset and wipe cache
    Then reboot. It will encrypt the device and reboot
    Go through Setup again

OTA update again. No errors this time.
    You will finish up with TB-8704F_S001018_191009_ROW
    Security patch: 5 August 2019

Hope that helps.

UPDATE
    =======

Well it's been a while since I flashed ROMs on this device and I now remember this model of tablet does NOT have a compass sensor so nothing wrong with this ROM :)
    But it does have GPS and for navigation I have tested Sygic, CoPilot, Nokia Here and Google Maps (all using offline maps) and they all work fine. In fact I have been using Sygic for a number of years on this device and it's much faster and better then my old Nexus 7 (2013). So using Linage or stock there is no compass because there is no sensor fitted :)

Anyway, the above procedure may still be useful for anyone wishing to return to stock Oreo.
    Thank you @dave457. This has helped my to fix my device. I had massive problems to run through the various steps to prepare flashing my phone with a custom rom.:cool:(y):)

So I am trying again to Install TWRP on this device but w/o success. I am able to run this comand
    fastboot boot twrp-xxxxx.img (3.4.0)
    But I am not able to install twrp permantly.
    I am trying this command
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-xxxxx.img
    but nothing is happening.

Can anybody give me a hint how to install twrp permanently? :unsure:
    Thanks.

tatoosh11

Nov 19, 2015
    Hi,

first: thanks for the good work.
    I used TWRP (fastboot boot ) on my Lenovo Tab 4 Plus to flash lineage-17.1-20210412-UNOFFICIAL-TB8704 with pico gmail apps.
    Now the Tab is rebooting and hangs with showing the Lineos Logo since 15min.
    What can i do now?

tatoosh11

Nov 19, 2015
    Thank you @dave457. This has helped my to fix my device. I had massive problems to run through the various steps to prepare flashing my phone with a custom rom.:cool:(y):)

So I am trying again to Install TWRP on this device but w/o success. I am able to run this comand
    fastboot boot twrp-xxxxx.img (3.4.0)
    But I am not able to install twrp permantly.
    I am trying this command
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-xxxxx.img
    but nothing is happening.

Can anybody give me a hint how to install twrp permanently? :unsure:
    Thanks.
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img is the right command - did u try a nother version?

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone