[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][10] LineageOS 17.1 for Amazon Fire HD8 7/6th gen (douglas/giza)

Search This thread

Rortiz2

I've come across another issue. I don't know if its down to ROM, but this doesn't happen on my other Android 10 device.

Apps built using Flutter are 'Tearing' / Flickering (I don't know what else to call it)

To reproduce: Install any of these:
1. Aves Gallery: https://github.com/deckerst/aves
2. Everyday Tasks: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/de.jepfa.personaltasklogger/
3. Koduko: https://github.com/Mazahir26/koduko

The Tearing/Flickering is making these apps unusable.
I'm still working on this... Did Flutter apps also crash on LineageOS 15.1/14.1? Honestly, I have no idea what's wrong with the graphics. I've been trying to fix it for weeks, but I can't find a way to.​

Reactions: kirik_party

caldersm44

Sep 21, 2016
I usually wait a bit before I dive into a new build.....but I went in head first...! Unfortunately, I am locking up with several apps. Especially the playstore....if I go to managed apps....and Not Installed....when I scroll past the first page the Playstore will crash every time. DirectTV allows me to login but it crashes as well. Prime Video will load and login....but won't play any videos....

Not sure if to wait for another update or go back to 15....it was Super Stable.

Rortiz2

I usually wait a bit before I dive into a new build.....but I went in head first...! Unfortunately, I am locking up with several apps. Especially the playstore....if I go to managed apps....and Not Installed....when I scroll past the first page the Playstore will crash every time. DirectTV allows me to login but it crashes as well. Prime Video will load and login....but won't play any videos....

Not sure if to wait for another update or go back to 15....it was Super Stable.
Go back to 15.1 for now. All the problems you mention are related to OMX and graphical glitches that I haven't fixed yet.​

Nimrud7

Aug 3, 2022
Does the camera app appear in the Launcher? Would you mind taking logs while trying to start the camera?
Sorry for the late reply, I was on holiday, but no, there was no camera app at all, I tried to access from the photos/images app

I tried to install the update, but I get "Failed to map file '@/cache/recovery/block.map' Error installing zip file '@/cache/recovery/block.map'" in TWRP (3.3.1-0), what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

Rortiz2

Sorry for the late reply, I was on holiday, but no, there was no camera app at all, I tried to access from the photos/images app

I tried to install the update, but I get "Failed to map file '@/cache/recovery/block.map' Error installing zip file '@/cache/recovery/block.map'" in TWRP (3.3.1-0), what am I doing wrong?
OTAs are currently broken. Install the update manually.

JerryBels

Feb 3, 2014
Just installed this to renew the tablet so I can give it as brand new to my daughter, everything works great! :) Just the base camera app doesn't work on selfie mode, but a third party app does.

Reactions: Aeternamens

JerryBels

Feb 3, 2014
I will try on another wifi, at work, next week - maybe it's an issue with my capricious home router

CuF

Aug 29, 2015
Sorry about the n00b question and I know it's probably not recommended, but can you (successfully) flash the ROM without the step of "Wipe data, system (/system_root) and cache" in order to upgrade to a newer release of 17.1 or even to move from 15.1?
It seems fairly rough to have to reinstall everything every new bug fix.

Rortiz2

Sorry about the n00b question and I know it's probably not recommended, but can you (successfully) flash the ROM without the step of "Wipe data, system (/system_root) and cache" in order to upgrade to a newer release of 17.1 or even to move from 15.1?
It seems fairly rough to have to reinstall everything every new bug fix.
You can try, but I'd say there's a 70% chance it won't work.

jonpjingleheimler

Aug 12, 2016
Nashville
Hmm, I'm not able to connect to my network, even though it is not hidden. I tried both 2.4 and 5Ghz, but it saves the network and doesn't connect. I can do a fresh wipe, but this is interesting.

EDIT: I'm able to connect to my phone's hotspot, but still no progress on my own home wifi. weird.
I have the issue as well. I did a factory reset and on another attempt formatted data with twrp. Maybe my twrp isn't up to date I haven't looked into it yet

pimisen

Sep 13, 2010
Asus MeMO Pad 7
OnePlus 2
Did anyone manage to get Disney+ to work?
With safetynet module and hideprops module from magisk netflix can be installed from play store and is working like charme.
But Disney immediately shows an unspecified error. (Something went wrong) when trying to play a video...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Successfully installed 17.1 on my Giza device today, and boy is it a breath of fresh air compared to FireOS. Looking forward to testing it out! Thanks!
    New build available

2022-08-09 [douglas] [giza]

• Fixed all the sensors (automatic rotation too).
    • Fixed shutter button in the camera app.
    • Enabled tablet characteristics/features.
    1607247455067-png.5435845

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.​

Instructions:
    • Reboot to recovery mode
    • Wipe data, system (/system_root) and cache
    • Flash the ROM and the Gapps
    • Reboot and enjoy!
    Downloads:
    Reporting Bugs:
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    Known issues:
    • Hardware decoding (OMX)
    • Deep sleep isn't working
    • Front camera and video recording
    • Can't connect to hidden SSIDs
    • Sound recording is broken
    Notes:
    • SELinux is in Permissive mode
    • The ROM only supports both douglas (Fire HD8 2017) and giza (Fire HD8 2016)
    • This ROM is in a very early beta phase, expect a lot of bugs
    How do I...
    • Unlock and install TWRP?
      • Follow the instructions of the unlock thread (douglas | giza)
    • Go back to the original/stock ROM?
      • Download the stock update.bin (douglas | giza) and flash it using TWRP

Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
    restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

Contributors
    R0rt1z2, FreakyyLike (for the douglas donation)
    Source Code: https://github.com/mt8163-dev
    Kernel source: https://github.com/mt8163-dev/android_kernel_amazon_mt8163
    New build available

2022-08-06 [douglas] [giza]
    • Added ADB only config (fixes ADB on boot).
    • Switched to minimal LineageOS configs.
    • Switched to LZ4 compression for ZRAM.
    • Disabled vsync for CPU rendered apps.
    • Introduced and enabled IORap (prefetching).
    • Switched back to software gatekeeper hidl.

⏱ Change log/ Release notes

2022-08-09 [douglas] [giza]
    • Fixed all the sensors (automatic rotation too).
    • Fixed shutter button in the camera app.
    • Enabled tablet characteristics/features
    2022-08-06 [douglas] [giza]
    • Added ADB only config (fixes ADB on boot).
    • Switched to minimal LineageOS configs.
    • Switched to LZ4 compression for ZRAM.
    • Disabled vsync for CPU rendered apps.
    • Introduced and enabled IORap (prefetching).
    • Switched back to software gatekeeper hidl.
    2022-08-04 [douglas] [giza]
    • Enabled DVFS support.
    • Switched to HIDL PowerHAL.
    • Added support for Amazon's dynamic boost impl.
    • Fixed installation errors on giza.
    On my Giza, I went from LineageOS 15.1 to 17.1 by wiping Dalvik and Cache in TWRP, and then pushing the new ROM through ADB sideload. I wanted to keep my installed software and configurations, that is why I went this route. LineageOS works basically, but it is flawed, and this is because of my short-cut installation path, I am quite certain (maybe I should have wiped system as well?). For example, screen rotation does not work, and neither do camera (did not work in 15.1 either) and microphone. However, I am also under the impression that this ROM offers a bit more speed, though I have not measured it yet.

BTW: Judith Durham died yesterday - what a beautiful voice!!
    When changes are made to the Android version (i.e version jump(s)/updates), it's always recommended to wipe everything (i.e start from 0, clean flash) to avoid potential problems. The bugs you mentioned are already known and are listed in the bugs section.

I'm glad to hear everyone is giving me positive feedback about the speed and smoothness of this ROM. Honestly, I spent most of my time optimizing the ROM to the max in order to take advantage of the full performance of this tablet.

I will continue working on fixing all the remaining bugs (I'm currently focusing on the annoying graphical glitches) as soon as possible. I only ask for a little of patience, as I am on vacation and I would like to enjoy my free time as well. I will keep you guys updated.​