[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][10] LineageOS 17.1 for Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 WiFi (SM-T800 - chagallwifi)

Search This thread

minashokry

Jun 6, 2009
Hello owners of Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 WiFi (chagallwifi) SM-800,

Let's save some more devices from the garbage. Here is a build for LineageOS 17.1 for SM-T800 (tested only on this device).

Tested and working so far
  1. Wifi.
  2. Camera (front and back).
  3. Location.
  4. Touchscreen.
  5. All other sensors.
  6. I am not aware of anything broken.
This is a plain build of LineageOS 17.1, with only minimal SELinux policy modifications to make the device work.

If you prefer to use OpenGApps, download signed-ota_update-plain.zip, if you care more about privacy and prefer a degoogled version, download signed-ota_update-microg.zip which has microG bundled in it.

Special thanks to owners of:

You are welcome :)

Attachments

• signed-ota_update-plain.zip
    419.6 MB · Views: 21,164
  • signed-ota_update-microg.zip
    452.7 MB · Views: 2,195
Last edited by a moderator:

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
Great news, thanks!

Could you please clarify what you wrote about SELinux? Is it active and enforcing? Is encryption supported?

minashokry

Jun 6, 2009
Great news, thanks!

Could you please clarify what you wrote about SELinux? Is it active and enforcing? Is encryption supported?
SELinux is active and enforcing, the modifications are because the default SELinux policies in LineageOS contradict with those of the device (probably because the device ones are few years old). The modifications are to remove some strict policies that would break device drivers like the camera and sensors if left enabled.

Encryption is disabled.

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
SELinux is active and enforcing, the modifications are because the default SELinux policies in LineageOS contradict with those of the device (probably because the device ones are few years old). The modifications are to remove some strict policies that would break device drivers like the camera and sensors if left enabled.

Encryption is disabled.

It's great that SELinux is on, and it is expected to have minor cuts in the policies. They are a pain to develop. It has to be a separate project...

What's going on with encryption? Forgive me for a silly question, I just see this feature missing in LOS17 ROMs for other devices as well... Is it something LOS specific?

minashokry

Jun 6, 2009
It's great that SELinux is on, and it is expected to have minor cuts in the policies. They are a pain to develop. It has to be a separate project...

What's going on with encryption? Forgive me for a silly question, I just see this feature missing in LOS17 ROMs for other devices as well... Is it something LOS specific?
Honestly I don't know about encryption. I didn't care about it while building this image.

Reactions: cisco150

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
Honestly I don't know about encryption. I didn't care about it while building this image.
Fair point - it has to be running at all before looking at the advanced features. For the first release it's quite a remarkable result. It would be nice to have encryption on the to do list...

Another silly question: the speakers of this tablet are not very loud. Is it difficult/possible to boost their volume a little?

foolone

Mar 7, 2016
Will test this out. I had flashed LOS17.1 by @8224Freak, but its SELinux is disabled. Will see if this one works same or better. Does this build contains the most recent security patch?

foolone

Mar 7, 2016
@minashokry I have been using your build on my T800 and likes it a lot. In addition to the camera video recording freeze, mic does not appear to work well. I tried some audio recordings but only hear tiny sound during playback. I was wondering if you are planning on updating the build once awhile to at least include new security patch., or this is it - no more update? Thanks again for build this smooth LOS17 rom for the old tablet.

cisco150

Dec 31, 2007
Usa
@minashokry I have been using your build on my T800 and likes it a lot. In addition to the camera video recording freeze, mic does not appear to work well. I tried some audio recordings but only hear tiny sound during playback. I was wondering if you are planning on updating the build once awhile to at least include new security patch., or this is it - no more update? Thanks again for build this smooth LOS17 rom for the old tablet.
Bump

bmeup17

Mar 6, 2022
Unfortunately did not get very far using either of these builds (plain or microG). In both cases, I'm unable to read or write to the internal storage on the tablet. File manager does not read any contents of the internal storage, fails to create a directory in internal storage, and can't download/save a file from the internet. The LOS 17.1 by @8224Freak does not have this problem, so assume it's something unique to these builds.

I also found that when I formatted an SD card for use as tablet storage (i.e., as an extension of the internal storage), it insists that the card is not inserted every time I power on the tablet. If I eject and reinsert the card while still powered on (no power cycle) it recognizes it and is okay from there.

Don't know if this is related to the above, but the native camera app insists that I must "Insert an SD card before using the camera" even though an SD card is plainly inserted and recognized by the rest of the system.

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
Hello. I've tested your ROM just out of curiosity -- encryption works! This makes your ROM the leader in security! Well done, thanks!

Apart from this... I found a fault with video rendering. At some resolutions the video renders at a wrong scale, larger than the window or the screen. This happens with different websites. I am using Brave browser, which works fine on the same device with LOS-14.1. The same rendering problem is evident in the other LOS-17.1 ROM as well (by 8224Freak). It might be codec related.

Last edited:

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
Has anyone found a way of dealing with the video rendering fault in Brave/Chrome/Firefox?

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
Tried this ROM again (signed-ota_update-plain.zip), different screen resolutions, different screen densities - still video playback issues in browsers including Brave. The fault manifests itself as the video being zoomed in, so that only a part of it remains visible. The playback freezes for a fraction of a second occasionally, producing a "metal" screeching sound while doing it. In general this ROM feels a bit laggy. So, going back to lineage-14.1-20220107-UNOFFICIAL-chagallwifi, which feels cleaner, much faster and similar to this one has SELinux+encryption working.

Before anyone asked, the same video playback issues just without freezing I observed in lineage-17.1-20220504-UNOFFICIAL-chagallwifi, which is under active development now. The latter does not have SELinux+encryption though.

So, for now, the benchmark is set by DarkExistence for this device.

Reactions: Concept48

ahmetdamar

May 4, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
I downloaded and installed "signed-ota_update-plain.zip". But Google account is not added. There is no Google Play. Thank you to those who will help.

I installed Gapps and OK.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello owners of Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 WiFi (chagallwifi) SM-800,

Let's save some more devices from the garbage. Here is a build for LineageOS 17.1 for SM-T800 (tested only on this device).

Tested and working so far
    1. Wifi.
    2. Camera (front and back).
    3. Location.
    4. Touchscreen.
    5. All other sensors.
    6. I am not aware of anything broken.
    This is a plain build of LineageOS 17.1, with only minimal SELinux policy modifications to make the device work.

If you prefer to use OpenGApps, download signed-ota_update-plain.zip, if you care more about privacy and prefer a degoogled version, download signed-ota_update-microg.zip which has microG bundled in it.

Special thanks to owners of:

You are welcome :)
    What is the link to download this rom? I can't find it anywhere in this thread.
    Use the attachments to the first post "signed-ota...zip".

Tried this ROM again (signed-ota_update-plain.zip), different screen resolutions, different screen densities - still video playback issues in browsers including Brave. The fault manifests itself as the video being zoomed in, so that only a part of it remains visible. The playback freezes for a fraction of a second occasionally, producing a "metal" screeching sound while doing it. In general this ROM feels a bit laggy. So, going back to lineage-14.1-20220107-UNOFFICIAL-chagallwifi, which feels cleaner, much faster and similar to this one has SELinux+encryption working.

Before anyone asked, the same video playback issues just without freezing I observed in lineage-17.1-20220504-UNOFFICIAL-chagallwifi, which is under active development now. The latter does not have SELinux+encryption though.

So, for now, the benchmark is set by DarkExistence for this device.