[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][10] LineageOS 17.1 for Samsung Galaxy Tab S (SM-T700, SM-T705, SM-T800, SM-T800, SM-P600)

Search This thread

welton

Sep 15, 2010
Ok, my initial reaction was a wauw. However i already ran into some problems. I had several browser chrashes. Chrome firefox, it does't matter wich one. Als a spontanious reboot.
But what is really anoying is the fact that the battery is charging slow. On google people talk about putting the fast charging option to off in android 10.
But that option isn't there in this costum rom.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks
I'm also facing random browser crashes on chagallwifi specially with heavy loaded pages. I tried Chrome and Edge. On edge things got a bit better if you turn adblock on.

Edit: in now using Edge Canary and no issues so far.

Last edited:
Send me the right commits for the kernel. I can merge this.
I think the developer has mentioned in another post that the cm14.1 branch contains the deathly kernel while the cm14.1-official branch is the vanilla unmodified LOS kernel. Not entirely sure where the commits for charging current control and CPU voltage modifications are though, not very code-savvy.

This might be helpful too?

theastroboy

Aug 4, 2016
Does this work on a Canadian SM-T705W (klimtltecan)? It is currently on Lollipop and there is no newer stock ROM. It would be nice to keep the SIM capability. However, I would pick performance over SIM capability any day as I rarely use this tablet with a SIM card.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.
I am answering my own questions for anyone who owns the Canadian SM-T705W. This ROM works, with some issues (stated below). I would like to mention that none of the Nougat based custom ROM worked on my tablet. I tried LOS 14.1, Mokee and RR, with or without Opengapps (nano or pico) and the device would be in a bootloop. This ROM, however, would boot with either nano or pico Opengapps.

These are the issues:
- 5GHz is only visible at low channels.
- Chrome crashes at times, not always.
- IMEI becomes unknown, so SIM doesn't work. Flashing back to stock the IMEI shows again.
- Microphone doesn't work. I didn't realize until I tried voice search. I thought the microphone is broken, so I flashed back to stock to verify that it actually works.

Other than these issues, this ROM is an improvement over the stock LL. It would also be nice if a kernel can be applied to address the thermal throttling.

RAM usage is low (1.2GB+) compared to stock LL (2GB+) with no app running.

Thank you for keeping this ancient device alive. Keep up the good work.

welton

Sep 15, 2010
I am answering my own questions for anyone who owns the Canadian SM-T705W. This ROM works, with some issues (stated below). I would like to mention that none of the Nougat based custom ROM worked on my tablet. I tried LOS 14.1, Mokee and RR, with or without Opengapps (nano or pico) and the device would be in a bootloop. This ROM, however, would boot with either nano or pico Opengapps.

These are the issues:
- Chrome crashes at times, not always.
- IMEI becomes unknown, so SIM doesn't work. Flashing back to stock the IMEI shows again.
- Microphone doesn't work. I didn't realize until I tried voice search. I thought the microphone is broken, so I flashed back to stock to verify that it actually works.

Other than these issues, this ROM is an improvement over the stock LL. It would also be nice if a kernel can be applied to address the thermal throttling.

RAM usage is low (1.2GB+) compared to stock LL (2GB+) with no app running.

Thank you for keeping this ancient device alive. Keep up the good work.
On Chagallwifi issues are:

- Chrome, Edge crashes at times

What works:
- microphone
- fingerprint sensor
- camera
- flashlight
- bluetooth
- video (tested youtube only)

Edit: - Edge Canary also crashs from time to time

Last edited:
Reactions: runekock

tvict

May 9, 2021
Hi all, I went back to the nougat version lineage 14. Will keep following this thread if there will be new developments.
@ Frank, thx for you hard work, but the issues ar to much for me at the moment.

Regards

vpn560

Oct 14, 2007
Tried both LOS 17.1 and CrDroid on Klimtlte: firefox always terminates while opening this XDA page - bad omen :)
Need in switching off CrDroid hello messages.

marcovrv

Apr 25, 2009
San José, Costa Rica
First, congratulations for an awesome work, it's very close to a daily driver. I'm experimenting the same issues with browsers and it gets a little hot. The browser issue also spontaneously reboots the tablet. I'm testing on klimtlte (SM-T705). Haven't tested LTE yet.

vpn560

Oct 14, 2007
One can already use these 17.1 firmwares now, they are quite stable with Chrome, especially without GAPPS. Others need in firefox engine in one well-known browser...but this work is long-awaited for all .

headzy

• Dec 9, 2009
    Just reporting that I have been using Opera mini beta, and no crashes except if I click on my photo of the tablet on page 1 with the snooker playing in the background, then the tab crashes and takes a few seconds to unfreeze, other than that no crash on websites.

I bet there will be plenty of folk digging their old trusty tab s out of a drawer and will resuscitate with your rom :)
    Keep up the great work!!

Reactions: mac231us

Ledah

• Mar 4, 2011
    Jakarta
    For anyone experiencing crashes and such when opening heavy load apps, try to lower your resolution to 1920 x 1200 px with 240 dpi (75% of the original resolution). I found that Tab S cannot handle such screen estate (2560 x 1600) with only 3GB ram and old processor.

that being said, anyone experienced slow charging current? I charge for 12 hours and only got 50% of battery.

mastmaker

Jul 8, 2013
    Hello friends,

I tried to update my old Samsung Galaxy Tab S devices with the latest Android 10 (Lineage 17.1). I would like to make the build available for you guys as well.

Special thanks to the teams at Exynos5420 and LineageOS for the sources.
    A million thanks, Frank!

Proud owner of SM-800 here. I only use a tablet as a magazine reader with an occasional Kodi session, but security and privacy are important to me. So, I look for recently patched versions of Android. Your build is the best of the lot so far.
    I am sure you're keeping a few hundred (if not a few thousand) tablets from recycle/landfill.

welton

Sep 15, 2010
    For anyone experiencing crashes and such when opening heavy load apps, try to lower your resolution to 1920 x 1200 px with 240 dpi (75% of the original resolution). I found that Tab S cannot handle such screen estate (2560 x 1600) with only 3GB ram and old processor.

that being said, anyone experienced slow charging current? I charge for 12 hours and only got 50% of battery.
    I can charge mine in 3—4 hours. Thanks for the tip on resolution!

Could you tell where I can change it? I can't see it in display settings.
    In the other hand, Does anyone has impression that the device is running very slowly? What can help to change it? Kernel change?

I did complete wipe from TRWP all settings, cache, internal storage and other stuff.
    I've got SM-T800

Cheers

acytoo

Jul 28, 2012
    Google Pixel
    Google Pixel 3
    In the other hand, Does anyone has impression that the device is running very slowly? What can help to change it? Kernel change?

I did complete wipe from TRWP all settings, cache, internal storage and other stuff.
    I've got SM-T800

Cheers
    you can use ADB

Bash:
    adb shell wm size 1200x1920

adb shell wm density 240

reference: https://nerdschalk.com/change-screen-resolution-adb-android/

Nov 26, 2015
    usa
    Hi I have a tablet sm t805
    Test 1:
    Install

lineage-17.1-20210505-UNOFFICIAL-chagalllte.zip​

After install no working data mobile ..
    Test 2:
    Wipe all data and ....
    Install
    crDroidAndroid-10.0-20210504-chagalllte-v6.17-LuisROM.zip

After install
    Oh my good.....no working data mobile ....
    Test 3:
    Wipe data and.... In twrp ...
    Whit Odin install android 6 official....
    After install.... Working good data mobile ...
    But not love this rom
    Please help me ..

lineage-17.1 more love​

Top Liked Posts

Update for klimtlte : update GPU value should be more smooth, undervoltage the CPU should be help about reduce the high temperature
      I'm finding the config since zram doesn't work also the can't keep it in ram. moreover, those apps were kill by the LMK when I have try to open a lot of apps but it's always killed it

Edited : I got these value from LOS 14.1 might be useful a lot
      Markdown (GitHub flavored):
      echo 1262 1212 1162 1112 1075 1037 1000 975 950 925 900 875 850 850 1150 1087 1037 987 950 912 875 850 850 850 850 850 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/UV_mV_table
      echo 177 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/minclock
      echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/dvfs
      echo 600 962500 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 533 937500 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 480 900000 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 420 862500 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 350 812500 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 266 762500 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 177 725000 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 100 725000 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 1000 > /sys/devices/platform/sec-battery/ac_input_curr
      echo 1000 > /sys/devices/platform/sec-battery/ac_chrg_curr
      echo 2048 > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/read_ahead_kb
      echo 1024 > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/read_ahead_kb
      echo 0 > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/iostats
      echo 0 > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/add_random
      echo 1 > /sys/kernel/mm/uskm/deferred_timer
      echo 400000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

LMK Fore 72 Vis 90 Sec 108 Hidd 126 Content 144 Empty 180 MB unit
      VM Dirty Ratio 20 % Dirty Background Ratio 5% Dirty Expire Centisecs 200 cs
      Overcommit Ratio 50% Dirty Writeback Centisecs 5000cs Swappiness 100%
      VFS Cache Pressure 99
      Min free Kilobytes 2839

Okay so I played around with stuff a bit, the tablet is running smoother and snappier now. And much much cooler. Hope this helps everyone.

I am using smartpack kernel manager
      Here are the settings I am using
      1. CPU max frequency 1700 (1800 makes it run too hot, might go down to 1600 if 1700 still runs hot). Min 100hz (apply on boot)
      2. Governor at interactive
      3. Target loads at 75 600000:75 800000:85 1500000:90 1700000:95
      4. Multi-core power saving enabled
      5. CPU boost enabled
      6. Kernal samepage off and disabled on boot
      7. Low memory killer off and disabled on boot (Low memory killer has to be disabled on every device reboot from the app)
      8. Z-ram 4096 and lz4 compression. Might try lzo later. (apply on boot)
      9. Virtual memory turntable on
      10. Entroy enabled on boot and read 256 and write 512
      11. Battery enabled on boot and charging option on
      12. IO scheduled disabled on boot

if anyone improves on these settings please update on this thread. We would all appreciate it.
      My conclusion after making a few adjustments is I can use this as a daily driver on SM-T800.

The key adjustment is to change the resolution as Ledah highlighted.

After doing so:

What works:
      - microphone
      - fingerprint sensor
      - camera
      - flashlight
      - bluetooth
      - video
      - browser

Issues:
      - 5GHz wifi only for lower channels
      - IR doesn't work (but I don't care)

Addional info:
      - charging time 3-4 hours (same as Los 14)
      - Battery will last for 5-ish hours with screen on (same as Los 14)
      - battery with screen off will last for a long time (massive improvement)

For a device this old this is very impressive!

ps.: I changed the resolution with root (magisk) and Easy DPI Changer from play store to 1200x1920 240dpi as recommended here.
      Update for klimtlte (i have this device only) : Swappiness 60 -> 160, LMK should be fixed (i tested it with open both firefox and youtube)
      Okay so I played around with stuff a bit, the tablet is running smoother and snappier now. And much much cooler. Hope this helps everyone.

1. CPU max frequency 1700 (1800 makes it run too hot, might go down to 1600 if 1700 still runs hot). Min 100hz (apply on boot)
      5. CPU boost enabled
      7. Low memory killer off and disabled on boot (Low memory killer has to be disabled on every device reboot from the app)

if anyone improves on these settings please update on this thread. We would all appreciate it.
      LZO doesn't stick on boot or whatever I've tested it, Z-RAM 4 GB can you switch apps from background process? Something wrong in RAM management, it can't keep apps in SWAP (Z-RAM) also, it's always kill many background apps from heavy loads I can't figure out is it occur from LMK or not (from I've tested it by open 2-3 apps before LMK kill those app and bring me back to home screen)
      No.1-5 is perfect settings, I have using it (you can disassemble back plate and applied some thermal paste to reduce cpu heat)
      No. 6-9 I can't confirm the problem come from swappiness or LMK, We should wait until next patch release. If we can patch swappiness from default to 160 which mean we can more aggressive put all apps in SWAP and switch previous app easier
      How did you get netflix to work? :O

I installed magisk v23 via twrp (renamed apk to zip first),
      rebooted, used magisk modules liboemcrypto disabler and magiskhide props config and rebooted, enabled magisk hide
      installed netflix app via sideload and tick box in magisk to hide this app
      went to netflix account to enable HD streaming for the device
      Hello friends,

I tried to update my old Samsung Galaxy Tab S devices with the latest Android 10 (Lineage 17.1). I would like to make the build available for you guys as well.

Special thanks to the teams at Exynos5420 and LineageOS for the sources.

Devices:
      1. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 WiFi (klimtwifi) SM-T700
      2. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 LTE (klimtlte) SM-T705
      3. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 LTE (chagalllte) SM-T805
      4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 WiFI (chagallwifi) SM-800
      5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Edition 2014 (n1awifi) SM-P600

I will create new builds from time to time.

Installation:
      1. Flash latest official Samsung Firmware with ODIN
      2. Flash latest TWRP Recovery https://twrp.me/Devices/Samsung/
      3. Wipe Data
      4. Install ROM.ZIP with TWRP https://luis-builds.de/downloads/lineageos/misc/
      5. Install latest GApps with TWRP (ARM/Android10) https://opengapps.org/
      6. Reboot and Enjoy
      7. Optional: Install Magisk

Download the file:
      https://luis-builds.de/downloads/lineageos/misc/

Sources:
      https://github.com/LineageOS (LineageOS 17.1)
      https://github.com/exynos5420/ (Kernel, Device, Vendor)

Greetings Frank
      I'm finding the config since zram doesn't work also the can't keep it in ram. moreover, those apps were kill by the LMK when I have try to open a lot of apps but it's always killed it

Edited : I got these value from LOS 14.1 might be useful a lot
      Markdown (GitHub flavored):
      echo 1262 1212 1162 1112 1075 1037 1000 975 950 925 900 875 850 850 1150 1087 1037 987 950 912 875 850 850 850 850 850 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/UV_mV_table
      echo 177 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/minclock
      echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/dvfs
      echo 600 962500 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 533 937500 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 480 900000 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 420 862500 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 350 812500 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 266 762500 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 177 725000 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 100 725000 > /sys/devices/platform/mali.0/volt_table
      echo 1000 > /sys/devices/platform/sec-battery/ac_input_curr
      echo 1000 > /sys/devices/platform/sec-battery/ac_chrg_curr
      echo 2048 > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/read_ahead_kb
      echo 1024 > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/read_ahead_kb
      echo 0 > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/iostats
      echo 0 > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/add_random
      echo 1 > /sys/kernel/mm/uskm/deferred_timer
      echo 400000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

LMK Fore 72 Vis 90 Sec 108 Hidd 126 Content 144 Empty 180 MB unit
      VM Dirty Ratio 20 % Dirty Background Ratio 5% Dirty Expire Centisecs 200 cs
      Overcommit Ratio 50% Dirty Writeback Centisecs 5000cs Swappiness 100%
      VFS Cache Pressure 99
      Min free Kilobytes 2839

5. CPU boost enabled

If I'm already on 14.1 do I need flash latest official Samsung Firmware or can I just wipe data with TWRP, flash rom and open gapps? (SM-T800)
      When you have the latest firmware from Samsung and running 14.1 then you can flash lineage 17.1 with full wipe before (data).

In few hours I am uploading crdroid 6.17 builds based on android 10 for the same devices.

Cu Frank

I've got SM-T800

Cheers
      you can use ADB

Bash:
      adb shell wm size 1200x1920

adb shell wm density 240

reference: https://nerdschalk.com/change-screen-resolution-adb-android/
      Thank you very much for this amazing rom it brings tab S again to life,
      I tried to screen cast to Samsung tv but didnt find any devices, any advice pls?
      thank you again for your great work