[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][10] LineageOS 17.1 for Samsung Galaxy Tab S (SM-T700, SM-T705, SM-T800, SM-T800, SM-P600)

Search This thread

spton

May 23, 2014
update I was finally able to get TWRP latest running t800 after many reboots trying to get latest TWRP working and Odin's and was able to load the this lineage 17. I flashed it successfully ( note you obviously must need latest TWRP to flash this ROM) and also flashed separately after rebooting nano gapps latest but unfortunately it was too much time hanging up and on the information of everything from Wi-Fi password to cycling on Google account info certainly not even nearly as fast and prompt as reloading lineage 14 every time I can get done in under 15 minutes and I'm back and running perfectly so for now I'll stick lineage 14 unless you have a suggestion. but thank you for the effort sir!

Last edited:

masdaster

update I was finally able to get TWRP latest running t800 after many reboots trying to get latest TWRP working and Odin's and was able to load the this lineage 17. I flashed it successfully ( note you obviously must need latest TWRP to flash this ROM) and also flashed separately after rebooting nano gapps latest but unfortunately it was too much time hanging up and on the information of everything from Wi-Fi password to cycling on Google account info certainly not even nearly as fast and prompt as reloading lineage 14 every time I can get done in under 15 minutes and I'm back and running perfectly so for now I'll stick lineage 14 unless you have a suggestion. but thank you for the effort sir!
What do you mean? Is the welcome screen with all the settings too 'feature rich'? Or do you talk about the performance? If it's all about performance then I've to agree. It's not that fast compared to LineageOS 14 if you don't use the modified kernel.

notasheepl

Jul 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
On the unmodified lineage 17 rom I have experienced some instability so far. Other than being somewhat laggy, sometimes it will do the reboot thing, but it is not as catastrophic as it is with masdaster's kernel. Sometimes background processes will crash, like VPNs for example. One thing I have noticed is that the reboots don't take as long as a normal user initiated reboot.
There is also a problem with extremely slow charging.

Might be going back to 14 soon.

Reactions: chame93

spton

May 23, 2014
the initial setup for account , wifi etc hung up and was constantly triggering the asking to close popup for lagging system. I went through it 4 or 5 times bit finally gave up after it force rebooted a couple times before completion. sorry but for now linage 14 is fast and works.

masdaster

On the unmodified lineage 17 rom I have experienced some instability so far. Other than being somewhat laggy, sometimes it will do the reboot thing, but it is not as catastrophic as it is with masdaster's kernel. Sometimes background processes will crash, like VPNs for example. One thing I have noticed is that the reboots don't take as long as a normal user initiated reboot.

Regarding the reboots:
Do you see the device splash screen or the boot animation after it crashes?

I tried to track it down... This takes some time and I'm not that good in debugging low level code. I've read through huge parts of your log and maybe I found a clue. I'll try to disable some memory optimizations. Your crashes seem to be memory related (YouTube and system).

Last edited:

notasheepl

Jul 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Regarding the reboots:
Do you see the device splash screen or the boot animation after it crashes?

I tried to track it down... This takes some time and I'm not that good in debugging low level code. I've read through huge parts of your code and maybe I found a clue. I'll try to disable some memory optimizations. Your crashes seem to be memory related (YouTube and system).
In the stock rom the splash screen(lineage logo animation) appears instantaneously. The logo will just pop up and the device will “half reboot”. With your kernel it froze then took a second to get to the animation. The samsung splash screen doesn't show up when it crashes, neither with the stock nor your kernel.
I guess I should have stated that in the earlier posts.

ISoreo

regarding from my forked, he's bring my config to T805 which i don't have that device, also i can't confirm it stable for that or not cuz i test it on T705 and T700 only. moreover, 17.1 stock we have issues that address to memory management and so on, which i already fixed that but few things will left is OOM from gpu that i didn't fix it.

masdaster

regarding from my forked, he's bring my config to T805 which i don't have that device, also i can't confirm it stable for that or not cuz i test it on T705 and T700 only. moreover, 17.1 stock we have issues that address to memory management and so on, which i already fixed that but few things will left is OOM from gpu that i didn't fix it.
Thank you for your response!! 😃

Can you dig into it? Or can you give me some further information? It takes some time for me to deal with low level code. I'm used to C#, Java and some other. 😅

It's a little bit wired. I don't have any problems. My device is doing great. The performance is decent and there are no crashes at all. The system is stable and no app crashed so far. I'm using it on daily basis... 🤔

ISoreo

Thank you for your response!! 😃

Can you dig into it? Or can you give me some further information? It takes some time for me to deal with low level code. I'm used to C#, Java and some other. 😅

It's a little bit wired. I don't have any problems. My device is doing great. The performance is decent and there are no crashes at all. The system is stable and no app crashed so far. I'm using it on daily basis... 🤔
I have no clues what happening in the GPU, also i'm trying to patch that oom cause from GPU, idk can be from driver or my mistake that can't eliminate thats point. performance's overall quite great after i commit a lot patched to memory manager and so on. also app will crash depends on open a lot of graphical such as youtube and a web browser.

masdaster

In the stock rom the splash screen(lineage logo animation) appears instantaneously. The logo will just pop up and the device will “half reboot”. With your kernel it froze then took a second to get to the animation. The samsung splash screen doesn't show up when it crashes, neither with the stock nor your kernel.
I guess I should have stated that in the earlier posts.
Yes... I expected a kernel panic but I didn't find a hard reset. 😆
What you encounter is a soft reset. Some important system processes die because of memory addressing failures. This is what we can see in the logs.
On Monday I should have enough time to build one boot image without the memory adjustments. Maybe I've also time to test my image with LineageOS. At the moment I'm using crDroid and all is fine. No crash, no freeze, running smooth...

Reactions: notasheepl

WunderWungiel

Dec 14, 2020
I also successfully connected my keyboard for this tablet (official from Samsung), but Recent Apps button (F2) doesn't work. Home and Back works great on keyboard (Esc and F1). How to fix it?

notasheepl

Jul 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Yes... I expected a kernel panic but I didn't find a hard reset. 😆
What you encounter is a soft reset. Some important system processes die because of memory addressing failures. This is what we can see in the logs.
On Monday I should have enough time to build one boot image without the memory adjustments. Maybe I've also time to test my image with LineageOS. At the moment I'm using crDroid and all is fine. No crash, no freeze, running smooth...
Is your kernel compatible with crdroid?
I avoided crdroid because I saw it was based on lineage and assumed it was heavier and bloated. I don't need android to do much fancy stuff other than run apps stably and smoothly. Although I wouldn't mind some customizability. But then again, I prefer a lightweight system over having options I never use.

Again, all of you have my many thanks for keeping our ageing yet perfectly capable devices in service well past their designated EOL.

Edit: Now that I think about it… crdroid is lineage, so yeah your kernel should work.

Last edited:

steamrollerpark

Jan 19, 2014
This works well,
1 Install Rom, install boot.img patched by Magisk
2 Boot up, install Trichrome, Busybox.
3 Install Google Play services, Play Store and Chrome.

No need to flash Gapps.

notasheepl

Jul 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
I have just been informed that the device, even in its full unrooted stock form, does in fact completely crash straight to the “Samsung Tab S” boot splash screen with visual “glitches” and artefacts preceding the reboot. So there is something more going on.
I got the last_kmsg files. They are bigger now and for some reason both of them had identical names in the proc folder.

*removed last_kmsg*

Last edited:

masdaster

Is your kernel compatible with crdroid?
I avoided crdroid because I saw it was based on lineage and assumed it was heavier and bloated. I don't need android to do much fancy stuff other than run apps stably and smoothly. Although I wouldn't mind some customizability. But then again, I prefer a lightweight system over having options I never use.

Again, all of you have my many thanks for keeping our ageing yet perfectly capable devices in service well past their designated EOL.

Edit: Now that I think about it… crdroid is lineage, so yeah your kernel should work.
Yes. You can use the image on LineageOS and crDroid.

I'm using crDroid and my modified boot image. I had no crash at all (no app crash and no system crash).

Regarding lightweight:
If you do not visit the extra settings menu, you don't see any difference between LineageOS and crDroid.

notasheepl

Jul 25, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Yes. You can use the image on LineageOS and crDroid.

I'm using crDroid and my modified boot image. I had no crash at all (no app crash and no system crash).

Regarding lightweight:
If you do not visit the extra settings menu, you don't see any difference between LineageOS and crDroid.
Is crdroid performing better/more stable than lineage? If so, I might be inclined to flashing it.

Top Liked Posts