[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][10] LineageOS 17.1 [T713][T719][T813][T819]

ripee

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Aug 25, 2014
tiny.cc
Android Police: LineageOS ends Android 9 Pie support, cutting off 24 phones and tablets.
You can still run unofficial builds from existing sources whenever Lineage adds future monthly security updates.

for SM-T719
Which build is more stable?
ripee or pitrus
We both build from my sources.

Is this rom selinux enforcing?
Never has been, and unless I ever find the time or skills to fix what remains broken, it won't be.

potsieanz

Aug 23, 2016
I still find my T813 with 17.1 is way more prone to rebooting itself repeatedly, than with 16.0 on it

I have removed the SD card after install, and only installed the Pico version of GAPPS, but it still happens regularly enough that i give up and go back to 16.0

Now 16.0 will be discontinued, is there anything else i can change in settings to make 17.1 to avoid getting in a loop of crash and reboots?

Cheers

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
I still find my T813 with 17.1 is way more prone to rebooting itself repeatedly, than with 16.0 on it

I have removed the SD card after install, and only installed the Pico version of GAPPS, but it still happens regularly enough that i give up and go back to 16.0

Now 16.0 will be discontinued, is there anything else i can change in settings to make 17.1 to avoid getting in a loop of crash and reboots?

Cheers
Did you use Odin to load the new TWRP, then do a complete wipe and format data before installing this rom? did you wipe dalvik and cache before proceeding to boot after installing the rom?

lmacmil

Dec 7, 2013

Cheers
My 713 is on 16.0 and it reboots in spurts. It may go a week without rebooting and then reboot several times in a row, generally when I'm in Chrome.

potsieanz

Aug 23, 2016
Did you use Odin to load the new TWRP, then do a complete wipe and format data before installing this rom? did you wipe dalvik and cache before proceeding to boot after installing the rom?
Thaks for the reply

No i didn't use Odin, but will try that if it's better than the install method i do below

I save 17.1 & Gapps to a SD Card, then wipe everything (including Dalvik/Art Cache & Cache, but not the SD Card), then Format Data, then install both zips, one more wipe of Dalvik, remove the SD Card, then reboot

potsieanz

Aug 23, 2016
My 713 is on 16.0 and it reboots in spurts. It may go a week without rebooting and then reboot several times in a row, generally when I'm in Chrome.
I do find a Google Authorisation or Backup reminder notification often triggers the problem, but not exclusively. I turn backup off, and avoid using Google for logins because of this. I do use Gmail however, but it doesn't seem to be the trigger

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
Thaks for the reply

No i didn't use Odin, but will try that if it's better than the install method i do below

I save 17.1 & Gapps to a SD Card, then wipe everything (including Dalvik/Art Cache & Cache, but not the SD Card), then Format Data, then install both zips, one more wipe of Dalvik, remove the SD Card, then reboot
That sounds like you did not install the new TWRP and you're going to need to do that to install a higher version of Android. You need to do that with Odin and then follow the procedure I outlined.

Reactions: potsieanz

lmacmil

Dec 7, 2013
Does it come right by itself, or do you do something to break the cycle of reboots?
No, it just stops rebooting. Sometimes it will just reboot once but more often it's 2 or more times. Plugging in the charger seems to help even though I never let the battery get below 40%. It's something I just live with like losing the wifi connection occasionally.

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
No, it just stops rebooting. Sometimes it will just reboot once but more often it's 2 or more times. Plugging in the charger seems to help even though I never let the battery get below 40%. It's something I just live with like losing the wifi connection occasionally.
Get the Wi-Fi Nodoz app it's the only one I found that fixes losing the Wi-Fi connection

Last edited:

Entodoays

Sep 13, 2015
You don't have to use ODIN to flash a newer version of TWRP if you already have TWRP. You can flash the new recovery image from TWRP itself.

Entodoays

Sep 13, 2015
On LOS 16 wireless display casting (Miracast) used to work. On LOS 17 this is no longer the case on my T813. When I try to connect to a wireless display the system reboots (I get the boot animation again but not the Samsung startup logo).

Last edited:
Reactions: Starfiresg1

i5lee8bit

Jul 18, 2006
New Jersey
@ripee, thanks for bringing LOS17.1 to the Tab S2. I know several times you said it's not very stable at all / that it's buggy (though that was weeks/months back), but it's been running great here on my friend's SM-T813. Definitely breathed a whole new life into this device. Looks like we picked a good time to mod his tablet.. this ROM seems to have stabilized quite a bit since its initial release based on reading previous posts.

The OP contained pretty much every hiccup to expected - the need to force reboot after clean flash (updating ROM afterwards just updated like normal), and the camera only semi-working (10-15 sec delay but works after), which is a complete non-issue to us. Using Google Camera app that comes with OpenGapps Stock.

Updated to 02-21-2021 build (pitrus)
Magisk 22.0
LSposed 0.5.4.1 (5175) - only module is GravityBox Q

No need to use MagiskHidePropsConfig (which you mentioned before anyway), SafetyNet passes after a Play Store data clear as expected.

Other than the permissive kernel and camera issue, the ROM has been really solid. Great work and thank you! Looking forward to its continued development.

There's just one thing though that I wanted to ask, @ripee: I just can't seem to disable (nor reassign!!) the hardware capacitive keys. I'm really confused and lost here. I enabled the navigation bar with GravityBox (since it looks like you omitted the option in your ROM, which is fine) and disabled the button backlight. I tried modifying the generic.kl keyboard layout file but it doesn't work. What's even weirder is that using any button remapper app, including flar's with root access, doesn't seem to work either - and none of them successfully remap for both the navbar AND capacitive buttons. It's almost like they're being mapped differently at a much lower level... would you happen to have any clue as to where else to look? Really hate the hardware / capacitive buttons. Not even necessary to fully disable them, but at least swap them so it matches the layout of the navbar sitting right above them haha. Not even asking if you could commit the feature into the ROM. If I knew what to change, I could probably just make a Magisk module for it or something. Thanks!

Edit: The reason why the soft and hard keys were "linked" the way I described before, turned out to be due to GravityBox and the way it's designed as a whole, i.e. unfortunately simply disabling Navigation Bar tweaks master switch in GravityBox doesn't work. If I disable GravityBox entirely and enable Navigation Bar via qemu.hw.mainkeys=0, then the hardware keys can be remapped independently of the on-screen navbar (simply using Swap Back / Recents keys option in flar2's Button Mapper app, which at least puts the buttons and their corresponding actions right above/below each other). Unfortunately, GravityBox is necessary for me, haha. So I'm back to needing to simply be able to disable the hardware keys, which would basically fulfill all my "goals"... gonna keep tweaking around. =)

Edit2: Ok, now I feel dumb. It was in /vendor/usr/keylayout/sec_touchkey.kl -NOT- in /system/usr/keylayout/****.kl. I literally searched for all instances of BACK and APP_SWITCH, commented the lines, and pushed every .kl back to system, and nothing would work. Didn't think to look under /vendor/... **facepalm!!!**. I restored all the original files and now I have on-screen navigation bar, hardware navigation keys fully disabled (or swapped!), and GravityBox goodness all working together. =)

I really don't like hardware capacitive navigation buttons anymore, but even more so especially Samsung and their dumb layout. Because this ROM doesn't have the options baked in (and I didn't feel like bothering the dev over my little request that no one else seemed to care about tbh, lol) I created Magisk modules to change the capacitive button behavior. I wasn't sure if updating to newer builds would overwrite the changes I made, and so since it's a Magisk module, it should persist through flashing updates (unless for some reason these otherwise static files change, or other huge changes come later; unlikely imo).

Since I already made these, I figured I would share them.

One module will completely disable the capacitive navigation keys, and the other will simply swap them. If you prefer on-screen navigation buttons, these may help. Disabling them can help eliminate confusion or accidental pressing of the wrong button that's right above/below where you're tapping, or swapping them basically places the same button directly above/below each other. Buttons backlights can be disabled in system settings as normally.

The ROM also doesn't have an on-screen navigation bar toggle built-in (at least I didn't see one). You can enable by either using a tool such as GravityBox (requires EdXposed/LSposed), or modifying build.prop and adding the line "qemu.hw.mainkeys=0". Or use MagiskHide Props Config to do it for you systemlessly. Once the software navbar is enabled, the OS actually has the options to modify them (Settings -> System -> Buttons).

Magisk Modules to Disable or Swap the Hardware Capacitive Navigation Buttons (ONLY TESTED ON THIS ROM!!!):
Disable HW Capacitive Keys: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145742782
Swap HW Capacitive Keys: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145742781

Last edited:

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
I am struggling to understand what the difference is between these two builds. Can anybody explain what the differences are?
I am struggling to understand what the difference is between these two builds. Can anybody explain what the differences are?
If you check the ROM download links, you will see, at a minimum, Pitrus's ROMs are being updated daily, and Ripee's are being updated monthly.

Reactions: Entodoays