• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][11.0.0][r39][I9100] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

bersem

Jan 19, 2014
Maybe this can help.
Flash Stock ROM with Odin. Repit with the .pit file from OP.

Root your phone with chainfire for example ( u can find howto on web ) with Odin and boot to System. Use the SU ( or Link2SD ) "reboot to recovery" function.

Then upgrade the recovery ( .img file from OP ) through Philz recovery.
Reboot to recovery from recovery ( recovery function )
Follow the flash instructions from OP.
Flash ROM, Gapps, Magisk (optional )
Reboot to System

EDIT: Copy ROM, Gapps, Magisk and recovery .img file from OP to your SD Card before.

Regards !

Last edited:

Harv234

Aug 4, 2016
Heureka! I did it!
Just in case somebody ever needs the information: After repiting from Odin I installed the stock rom on the new pit. Which obviously does not work - but... The phone restarts then into recovery on normal boot ;) After that I just flashed the TWRP recovery and restarted with normal boot - System is still broken so the phone starts into TWRP on next boot - voila!
From this point on all was pretty straight forward :geek:
Thanks to all who shared their thoughts.

MaddogIT

Sep 17, 2018
Gradisca d'Isonzo (GO)
Heureka! I did it!
Just in case somebody ever needs the information: After repiting from Odin I installed the stock rom on the new pit. Which obviously does not work - but... The phone restarts then into recovery on normal boot ;) After that I just flashed the TWRP recovery and restarted with normal boot - System is still broken so the phone starts into TWRP on next boot - voila!
Really nice solution :)

Reactions: andreoide

andreoide

Heureka! I did it!
Well-done! And thanks for posting this also !

2faraway2

Apr 24, 2016
Hi @rINanDO ,

first of all thx a lot for your ongoing work, fascinating to see A11 on this ancient device :)
I've managed to install the lastest build (coming from LOS for MicroG 14.1), which is running fine so far !

However I recognized that we can't install MicroG because your build lacks the signature spoofing patch ...

Is it possible to include this patch in one of your next builds ?

This would be wonderful because so we can avoid GAPPs to save storage and ram and have better privacy ..

The spoofing patches are here:

https://github.com/lineageos4microg...ofing_patches/android_frameworks_base-R.patch
https://github.com/lineageos4microg...es/packages_apps_PermissionController-R.patch

(you can see in that repo how it's applied)

It's essential if you want to run MicroG instead of GAPPs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210606-143552_microG_Services_Core.png
    Screenshot_20210606-143552_microG_Services_Core.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

slev!n

Mar 24, 2016
Unfortunaltely I can confirm a wifi issue after upgrading from 17.1 having a mesh network with wpa2/wpa3.

I can connect while the installation process but then later i cant reconnect again.

Edit: Of course I made a clean install and also downgraded the TWRP as it is recommended :)

Reactions: js-xda

uig200

Mar 23, 2021
edit2:
Also, the home button does not work when the device is switched off and charging, only the power button.

edit:
Yes, The phone's temperature with this ROM when active can rise up to 65 ° C. Feels like you touch a glowing iron sometimes. 🥵 Is it normal?

Wow. Everything worked. The best thing was, you didn't need Odin and the stupid Windows in order to do this, everything went wonderfully also with heimdall flash tool under Arch Linux ! :cool:
The only issue I have is that the phone gets pretty hot. Does anyone have the same problem too?

Last edited:

Wikandro

Apr 9, 2019
Hi @rINanDO ,

first of all thx a lot for your ongoing work, fascinating to see A11 on this ancient device :)
I've managed to install the lastest build (coming from LOS for MicroG 14.1), which is running fine so far !

However I recognized that we can't install MicroG because your build lacks the signature spoofing patch ...

This would be wonderful because so we can avoid GAPPs to save storage and ram and have better privacy ..

https://github.com/lineageos4microg...ofing_patches/android_frameworks_base-R.patch
https://github.com/lineageos4microg...es/packages_apps_PermissionController-R.patch

Hello,
I also had difficulty trying to install with microG.
In the explanations, rINanDO says :
"
12. For MicroG users:
You need manualy grant permissions via ADB to get things working properly.
These are the commands:
adb shell pm grant com.android.vending android.permission.FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE
adb shell pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE
"
By me, it worked fine with LOS 16 version, but I didn't get it with 18.1, I had error messages (but did not note them...) in response to these commands.
Did you, 2faraway2, try this ?

2faraway2

Apr 24, 2016
Hello,
Did you, 2faraway2, try this ?

Sure, I tried it:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb devices
List of devices attached
0019ab6b29539e  device

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb shell pm grant com.android.vending android.permission.FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE

Exception occurred while executing 'grant':
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown permission: android.permission.FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE
        at com.android.server.pm.permission.PermissionManagerService.grantRuntimePermissionInternal(PermissionManagerService.java:1451)
        at com.android.server.pm.permission.PermissionManagerService.grantRuntimePermission(PermissionManagerService.java:1410)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.runGrantRevokePermission(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:2287)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.onCommand(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:249)
        at android.os.BasicShellCommandHandler.exec(BasicShellCommandHandler.java:98)
        at android.os.ShellCommand.exec(ShellCommand.java:44)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onShellCommand(PackageManagerService.java:21752)
        at android.os.Binder.shellCommand(Binder.java:929)
        at android.os.Binder.onTransact(Binder.java:813)
        at android.content.pm.IPackageManager$Stub.onTransact(IPackageManager.java:4621)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onTransact(PackageManagerService.java:4363)
        at android.os.Binder.execTransactInternal(Binder.java:1159)
        at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:1123)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb shell pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE

Exception occurred while executing 'grant':
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown permission: android.permission.FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE
        at com.android.server.pm.permission.PermissionManagerService.grantRuntimePermissionInternal(PermissionManagerService.java:1451)
        at com.android.server.pm.permission.PermissionManagerService.grantRuntimePermission(PermissionManagerService.java:1410)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.runGrantRevokePermission(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:2287)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.onCommand(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:249)
        at android.os.BasicShellCommandHandler.exec(BasicShellCommandHandler.java:98)
        at android.os.ShellCommand.exec(ShellCommand.java:44)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onShellCommand(PackageManagerService.java:21752)
        at android.os.Binder.shellCommand(Binder.java:929)
        at android.os.Binder.onTransact(Binder.java:813)
        at android.content.pm.IPackageManager$Stub.onTransact(IPackageManager.java:4621)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onTransact(PackageManagerService.java:4363)
        at android.os.Binder.execTransactInternal(Binder.java:1159)
        at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:1123)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>

I assume that the sig spoof patch simply isn't implemented ..
Result see attachment

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210620-113153_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20210620-113153_Trebuchet.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 14

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
I looked shortly to Wifi, but I don't have a clue what is wrong yet.
Are there any news on this aspect? I browsed this thread and it seems to occur with 5 GHz networks - not specific to AVM Fritz Mesh (also Feodora hotspot affected and not every Fritz Mesh) or WPA version (both WPA 2/3 and WPA 2 affected). Any more observations linked to this which can help guiding @rINanDO?

s2isaliveandkicking

May 22, 2021
Are there any news on this aspect? I browsed this thread and it seems to occur with 5 GHz networks - not specific to AVM Fritz Mesh (also Feodora hotspot affected and not every Fritz Mesh) or WPA version (both WPA 2/3 and WPA 2 affected). Any more observations linked to this which can help guiding @rINanDO?
It's been one month since his last login. I hope he is okay with this flu and all.

Reactions: Oxydeme

uig200

Mar 23, 2021
After installing the new ROM from yesterday (06/25/2021) you can no longer switch off the phone completely. It powers off and then restarts immediately. Even with the command reboot -p in terminal. :cry: As If "power off" feature would not exist.

Last edited:

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
After installing the new ROM from yesterday (06/25/2021) you can no longer switch off the phone completely. It powers off and then restarts immediately. Even with the command reboot -p in terminal. :cry: As If "power off" feature would not exist.
I guess you refer to the new upload on Android file host? As there was so far no post on this build by @rINanDO, I would suggest waiting until he provides a change log. Maybe it's just a test build for some purpose?

uig200

Mar 23, 2021
I guess you refer to the new upload on Android file host? As there was so far no post on this build by @rINanDO, I would suggest waiting until he provides a change log. Maybe it's just a test build for some purpose?
Yes, I downloaded this new build from Android file host. Then I am , I guess, the first tester of this build. As I was been able to test it so far, I have encountered some bugs: the first one that I mentioned in my previous post , the “power off” command does not work, the phone is not shutting down but instead restarting. And as for the second bug: the home button is not working while phone is charging; if you want to see battery’s charging progress you can see it only by pressing the power button, which is very unusually since normally it would work with the home button.

TALUAtXDA

Nov 8, 2018
Hello. Sorry.
Please, look here: https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg2528160.html
This is something very new for our device.
What is this? Can it improve the front camera on our device? May it is a way to enable correctly Camera2 API and get photos in RAW10 format with a much wider dynamic range and deep colours?
May it possible to merge in a firmware?
1. "Sorry" as soon as you want to ask for something, rather than making your incredibly bold claims with no evidence? Mmmm.....
2. We're not using mainline Linux here. That's a patch for mainline Linux adding support for the front-facing camera for this phone.
3. For support for the Camera2 API, a new camera HAL supporting it must be written, which is difficult.
4. You're not going to get anything better from the camera, since the hardware itself simply cannot do anything better. You're seriously asking for too much. Your only option for anything better if you really need it is to get a new phone with a better camera - Oh, and, if you are to get a new phone, make sure its bootloader is not unlockable.
5. Image quality from the camera on mainline Linux with those new changes is unlikely to be any better than it is here. In fact, it might even be worse to some extent (unsure about this).

Edit: that patch has already been applied to mainline: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu...7&id=7f4ebf3e4ce10a1ed8ff2aee5d75568dc3522b2f

Last edited:

rINanDO

Dec 17, 2009
Hi @rINanDO ,

Thanks! I will create a build soon with these patches. Since new XDA forum I didn't check this forum often , sorry. I currently creating a new build and put it online soon.

Reactions: uig200

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New build is up!
    I've been trying to free some more memory to let some apps load better and overal performance. I managed to free 70MB of memory at the cost of (Exynos) ION-heap. If it has any effect on games or new glitches on our old S2, please let me know.

After updating sources, bluetooth crashed. I needed to fix that too. Found that patch on LineageOS quite fast :) by using component-override to enable the required bluetooth services by default.

I experienced some stability issues when waking up the phone. Finally I captured some logcat/kmsg of this crash and it seems when under memory pressure Android can't allocate frames to animate ColorFade-out. Memory allocation fails and the display and other parts of Android crashes during entering suspend... To prevent this (hopefully) I disabled ColorFade (like in GO-builds) and hope this gives more stability.

Suddenly one of my S2's is suffering battery drain on a 'new' original battery (2019). At first I thought it was a bad build but after reading an old topic https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/galaxy-s2-i9100-troubleshooting-hardware-issues.3365504/ it seems my S2 was bad and not my battery. When I measured the pinout's on the phone's battery pins it measures 50ohm. That's way to low, so it drains the battery when doing nothing and possibly destroys it due fast drain. My daily phone reads 52k ohm, so it is in good shape. Removing the capacitor didn't work for my bad S2. But it still works, not for daily usage though.

Build #9 2021-07-15
    Overall state: Stable-ish
    Android build: 11.0.0-r39
    Required recovery: TWRP 3.3.1-1

Changes:
    - Updated sources
    - Applied WifiOverlay to disable WPA3, please test, I don't have WPA3 router
    - Decreased Exynos_Ion_Heap and TV-out to free 70MB memory
    - Fixed reboot issue when using Magisk kernel
    - Addressed unknown netlink mapping (SOCK_DESTROY) in kernel
    - Disabled ColorFade, ColorFade indirectly trigger sometimes blackscreen crash when in high memory pressure. It allocates multiple fullscreen frames to animate fadeout effect when pressing powerkey to turn off/lock phone.

Downloads
    i9100-LOS-16.0-Emulated-Storage.pit
    i9100-LOS-16.0-Emulated-Storage-TWRP-3.3.1-1.img

lineage-18.1-20210715-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip
    lineage-18.1-20210715-UNOFFICIAL-i9100_magisk_boot.img
    New build is up!
    I did not test MicroG fully , but I according MicroG-app signature spoofing seems to work :)
    Combined with the memory optimization the performance should be better on heavy load.
    Last but not least missing patch for home-button offline charging has been ported too.
    I think this build contains almost everything. If we miss something, please report.

Cya!

Build #8 2021-06-28
    Android build: 11.0.0-r38

Changes:
    - Updated sources
    - MicroG support thanks to @2faraway2
    - Forward port Memory optimizations from LOS 16.0 thanks to @acroreiser
    - Home-button fix offline charging

Downloads

lineage-18.1-20210628-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip
    lineage-18.1-20210628-UNOFFICIAL-i9100_magisk_boot.img
    You was explaining about allegedly the load to CPU, RAM and GPU...

But my research yet of LOS 14.1 (announced by you) has revealed that your custom ROM extensively wasting CPU and the device internal storage - it is a main cause of abnormal double heating and the battery draining.

But you did explaining nothing about a suspiciously heavy wasting of the device internal storage by the ROMs announced by you at XDA-forum.

Didn't get your point !
    You're doing nothing except complaining, neither productive testing nor giving constructive ideas to improve something.

Nobody is forced to use @rINanDO 's roms. If you personally won't/can't use them, stay with stock and be happy ..
    it can actually even be up to 71°C if the Cpu is on full capacity.

It is a serious unfixed issue of the custom ROMs announced here by the forum user 'rINanDO'.

Of course, the issue is not normal due to latest Android versions have multiple battery optimisations.
    S2 was never designed to run at top speed that long at its release in 2011. S2 was a flagship and could do everything on one core fast compared to other phones. Samsung limits cpu to 800mhz in kernel when its cpu is going to hot so it can cool down. Current 'Go' phones are also 1GB memory phones but with 3 times smaller quad core cpu baked on 14nm. Our 10 year old big exynos 4210 baked on 45nm just makes more heat and taking more time because of old architecture on 2 cores (and slower memory and gpu). Apps gets bigger and doing more stuff simultaniously and sometimes inefficient. So optimisations to do less unnecessary stuff if possible for this phone is the only way. Google is only adding features to the os, not removing them. At first startup the phone gets warm is 'normal', google's Art optimisation is running and takes its cpu cores at full speed and time in the background even when the white Lineage logo is displayed. With GApps installed this is far more worse! Thats why it always lags when you immediately try to use it. It already is swapping memory (zram) at this point to finish the jobs. When memory issues arise because the app is too big or using too much memory it also warms up due to swapping memory into zram. When a backgroundservice kicks in during use, it also warms up.
    Core problems: OS is getting too large, apps are larger, apps asume you got 4 cores or more, and some apps asume you got 4gb memory or more. S2 is running on nitro to keep up with Android 11 in 2021.
    Yes, I downloaded this new build from Android file host. Then I am , I guess, the first tester of this build. As I was been able to test it so far, I have encountered some bugs: the first one that I mentioned in my previous post , the “power off” command does not work, the phone is not shutting down but instead restarting. And as for the second bug: the home button is not working while phone is charging; if you want to see battery’s charging progress you can see it only by pressing the power button, which is very unusually since normally it would work with the home button.
    Time to time I create some builds to test and upload them before I decide to post them here. Because some things I want to test on my daily drive phone first. If it is not good enough or I got a patch to add to the build, I wait until that build is done. Since it takes about 3-4 hours to build on my Core i7 (Los 14.1 takes 45 minutes...?!) It is quite time consuming. And this is of course is done in my spare time ;).

About "power off"-bug I will add them to know issues. Sometimes it hangs during shutdown and draining your battery because you thinks it is off. I can't get any shutdown logs so far and I don't shut down may daily drive S2 every day.

As for home-button charging I think I'm missing a patch. Legacy support patch.
    Code:
    /*
    ** Your warranty is now void.
    ** We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    ** thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    ** do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    ** before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    ** you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    **/

Hi all,

Well... It is still possible. Galaxy SII running Android 11! I could have made this port sooner, but the lack of time stalled a bit. Thanks to @ChronoMonochrome who ported LOS 18.0 for S3 couple months ago still using kernel 3.0.101 (or optionally 3.4) it should also be possible to build it for S2. Building for i9100 isn't straight forward because of the major changes in the image creation routines (creating boot.img, etc for the installable zip). And the GCC compiler support of Kernel 3.0.101 is removed. After resolving these issues I got my first flashable zip! Then I needed to get manifest.xml properly. Thanks to Shivaay who helped me and I got it finally booting! It was horribly slow because of some internal changes in LMKD which our kernel doesn't support some features. The Settings-app crashes immediately leaving me unable to investigate. After reverting some patches in LMKD and things in framework/base it started to run like Android 10. I addressed the HAL's and got almost everything working in this ROM. Of course it isn't perfect and there will be bugs or instability. I'm no Samsung, just a DIY :)

For these builds you NEED ISOlated-RECovery because I had to eliminate the embedded (.cpio) ramdisk-images in zImage.
    Upgrade from Samsung stock ROM using ODIN 3.07
    lineage-18.0-20201207-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip

PIT: i9100-LOS-16.0-Emulated-Storage.pit
    PDA: i9100-LOS-16.0-Emulated-Storage-TWRP-3.3.1-1.tar.md5

1. Boot your phone into Download-mode (Volume down + Power/Standby + Home and hold for 10 seconds).
    2. Start ODIN 3.07 on your PC.
    3. Connect your phone via USB to your PC.
    4. Press volume up on your phone, ODIN should detect your phone.
    5. In ODIN:
    Auto Reboot : unchecked
    Re-Partition: checked
    PIT : i9100-LOS-16.0-Emulated-Storage.pit
    PDA : i9100-LOS-16.0-Emulated-Storage-TWRP-3.3.1-1.tar.md5
    6. Press Start.
    7. After succesful flash, reboot phone into Recovery:
    - Press Volume up + Power/Standby + Home and hold for 10 seconds.
    The phone shuts down.
    - Repeat Press Volume up + Power/Standby + Home and hold for 10 seconds
    Phone boots in recovery TWRP 3.3.1-1.
    8. Swipe to Allow Modifications
    9. In TWRP 3.3.1-1 you need to format partions
    - Wipe -> Format Data -> Type [yes]
    - Wipe -> Advanced Wipe -> Select:
    * Davik / ART Cache
    * Cache
    * System
    * Non-emulated Storage
    -> Swipe to Wipe
    10. Install LOS-18 ( + optionally Gapps or MicroG)
    To prevent "Uncryption unsuccessful" error of GAPPS at first start:
    - Reboot to recovery and Wipe -> Format Data -> Type [yes] again
    11. Boot System
    DON'T INSTALL TWRP APP. This will cause bootloop!
    12. For MicroG users:
    You need manualy grant permissions via ADB to get things working properly.
    These are the commands:
    adb shell pm grant com.android.vending android.permission.FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE
    adb shell pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE

Thanks To
    • @ChronoMonochrome
    • Shivaay
    • @lee.wp14
    • @ze7zez
    • arco68
    • Team Infusion
    • LineageOS team
    • and all prior developers that were working on this phone.
      I hope I didn't missed someone, please let me know.
    • Last but not least @channel48 which reviews custom ROMS from all kind of phones including my work on this ancient one :)
    Source code:
    https://www.github.com/lineageos
    https://www.github.com/rinando

Current state:
    Working:
    - RIL (Phone/SMS)
    - AGPS
    - Audio
    - Bluetooth (audio & headset)
    - Wifi
    - IMEI
    - Touchkeys
    - Camera Pictures
    - Camera Videorecording
    - Hardware encode/decoder
    - Display
    - Sensors
    - DRM, for e.g. Netflix
    - PowerHAL
    - LiveDisplay
    - Selinux enforced
    - BitGapps
    - Magisk v22.1
    - FM Radio using Spirit2)

Not tested:
    - Bluetooth headset
    - BLN
    - FM-Radio (using Spirit2)
    - TWRP 3.4.0-0

Not working/known issues:
    - Magisk support (misses some frameworks patches I guess)
    - FM-Radio (using Spirit2)
    - Home
    - MicroG support
    - Home-button not working while charging when phone is turned off. Use power-button

- Sometimes shutdown phone hangs (and draining your battery)

Won't fix:
    - HDMI (MHL) (support broken/removed since CM 10)
    Build #9 2021-07-15
    Android build: 11.0.0-r39

Changes:
    - Updated sources
    - Applied WifiOverlay to disable WPA3, please test, I don't have WPA3 router
    - Decreased Exynos_Ion_Heap and TV-out to free 70MB memory
    - Fixed reboot issue when using Magisk kernel
    - Addressed unknown netlink mapping (SOCK_DESTROY) in kernel
    - Disabled ColorFade, ColorFade indirectly trigger sometimes blackscreen crash when in high memory pressure. It allocates multiple fullscreen frames to animate fadeout effect when pressing powerkey to turn off/lock phone.

Downloads

lineage-18.1-20210715-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip
    lineage-18.1-20210715-UNOFFICIAL-i9100_magisk_boot.img

Build #8 2021-06-28
    Android build: 11.0.0-r38

Changes:
    - Updated sources
    - MicroG support thanks to @2faraway2
    - Forward port Memory optimizations from LOS 16.0 thanks to @acroreiser
    - Home-button fix offline charging

Downloads

lineage-18.1-20210628-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip
    lineage-18.1-20210628-UNOFFICIAL-i9100_magisk_boot.img

Build #7 2021-05-17
    Android build: 11.0.0-r37

Changes:
    - Updated sources
    - Disabled Lineage GO configuration, forgotten in build #6

Downloads

lineage-18.1-20210517-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip
    lineage-18.1-20210517-UNOFFICIAL-i9100_magisk_boot.img

Build #6 2021-05-14

Changes:
    - Updated sources
    - Magisk v23.0 support

Downloads

lineage-18.1-20210514-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip
    lineage-18.1-20210514-UNOFFICIAL-i9100_magisk_boot.img

Build #5 2021-05-04
    Android build: 11.0.0-r34

Changes:
    - Updated sources
    - Disabled low_ram flag, but other GO optimized memory-settings are still applied
    - Disabled Lineage GO configuration, so we have Widgets againin Trebuchet
    - Magisk v22.1 support!
    Download Magisk v22.1 from here and install APK.
    Reboot into recovery and flash lineage-18.1-20210504-UNOFFICIAL-i9100_magisk_patched.img via TWRP "Install image" and choose "Boot".
    Reboot and enjoy Magisk!

Downloads

lineage-18.1-20210504-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip
    lineage-18.1-20210504-UNOFFICIAL-i9100_magisk_patched.img

Build #4 2021-04-06
    Android build: 11.0.0-r32

Changes:
    - Updated sources
    - Finally fixed RIL (using i9300 blob) and GPS!
    - Removed temporary permission hacks due missing kernel commits

Downloads

lineage-18.1-20210406-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip

Build #3 2021-02-12
    Android build: 11.0.0-r29

Changes:
    - Updated sources
    - Added network fix caused Firefox to crash, thanks to florencebirée
    -
    Build with LineageGO (more memory, but also more limitations)

Downloads

lineage-18.1-20210212-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip

Build #2 2021-01-11
    Overall state: Unknown, but hopefully better than #1
    Android build: 11.0.0-r19

Downloads

lineage-18.1-20210111-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip

Build #1 2020-12-07
    Overall state: Unstable, max reach uptime about 12h
    Android build: 11.0.0-r17

Downloads

lineage-18.0-20201207-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip
    New build is up!
    Finaly I made some real progress. I was stuck why the ROM needed permission hacks at framework-level and lmkd hacks. GPS causes RIL to crash and RIL crashes when the audio driver (tiny-alsa) uses libsecril-client to send phone audio commands. It was a pain in the neck. I also tried replicant drivers (which almost worked) but I got lost nevertheless. (for months... :( )

Suddenly by accident I stumbled upon some kernel patches which fixed the framework-level patch. A few hours later I found the missing kernel code to fix lmkd hacks (merge conflict resolve from kernel v3.4.113). It still left me stuck with crashing RIL. I hoped it had the same root cause... unfortunately not... So I tried libsec-ril.so from i9300, patched it for R and hope for the best.... And that fixed RIL! GPS runs stable, audio control works, calling/receiving calls, data 2G/3G works! My guess is that i9100's libsec-ril.so is missing some newer socket codes which were handled by i9300's version. I can't change that because it is proprietary blob and I don't know assembly/ARM.

I tried BitGapps and try to stress the ROM. Yes it is slow compared for nowadays Android R phone but it doesn't crashed yet. Apps are installing and working. Magisk doesn't work. It has something to do how i9100 boots with Android R which skips starting Magisk at boot. Need to figure that out.

I'm now running it for a day so, lets ship it and mark it as BETA :)

Build #4 2021-04-06 (BETA)
    Android build: 11.0.0-r32

Changes:
    - Updated sources
    - Finally fixed RIL (using i9300 blob) and GPS!
    - Removed temporary permission hacks due missing kernel commits

Downloads

lineage-18.1-20210406-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip
    New build is up!
    That theory has been proven... Building LOS without GO 'fixed' Magisk from booting because of the memcg/acct differences when low_ram is enabled. For normal builds (low_ram disabled) Magisk has a fix here. Thanks to @mirhl for pointing me this out. So now just a new build and I updated it for Magisk v23.0. I looked shortly to Wifi, but I don't have a clue what is wrong yet.

Build #6 2021-05-14

Changes:
    - Updated sources
    - Magisk v23.0 support

Downloads

lineage-18.1-20210514-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip
    lineage-18.1-20210514-UNOFFICIAL-i9100_magisk_boot.img
    New build is up!

After digging around in Magisk code, I just couldn't figure out why its post-fs-data routine bails out. No errors in logcat. Manually starting the Magisk service runs without any problems. By accident I found out Android R is killing the services almost directly after start! It wrote a suspicious log 'This is new behavior' and that pointed me to this commit which prevents Magisk to boot properly. I don't know if this problem occurs on other phones... https://github.com/rINanDO/android_system_core/commit/43d2ee2dc1a3db3c58aa1f9f7ea32979a7013322
    Magisk v22.1 has updated it's boot.img patch routine, so I need to create a new patch script too. Well that is done so now we have the latest Magisk again :)

This build is as complete as LOS 17.1 build and without RIL problems so far I can tell. Good for daily drive until the providers switches 2G &3G off. My provider will switch of 3G end this year and 2G in 2025. So my S2 daily drive phone will retire end this year :(.

I didn't check Wifi yet. I have trouble connecting to my 5Ghz Wifi, but my kernel has no problems with my i9300 -builds connecting to the same Wifi.

Happy testing!

Build #5 2021-05-04
    Android build: 11.0.0-r34

Changes:
    - Updated sources
    - Disabled low_ram flag, but other GO optimized memory-settings are still applied
    - Disabled Lineage GO configuration, so we have Widgets againin Trebuchet
    - Magisk v22.1 support!
    Download Magisk v22.1 from here and install APK.
    Reboot into recovery and flash lineage-18.1-20210504-UNOFFICIAL-i9100_magisk_patched.img via TWRP "Install image" and choose "Boot".
    Reboot and enjoy Magisk!

Downloads

lineage-18.1-20210504-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip
    lineage-18.1-20210504-UNOFFICIAL-i9100_magisk_patched.img