• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][11.0.0][r43][I9100] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

NikkBann

Jul 11, 2021
i9100
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Code:
/*
** Your warranty is now void.
** We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
** thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
** do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
** before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
** you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
**/

Hi all,

Well... It is still possible. Galaxy SII running Android 11! I could have made this port sooner, but the lack of time stalled a bit. Thanks to @ChronoMonochrome who ported LOS 18.0 for S3 couple months ago still using kernel 3.0.101 (or optionally 3.4) it should also be possible to build it for S2. Building for i9100 isn't straight forward because of the major changes in the image creation routines (creating boot.img, etc for the installable zip). And the GCC compiler support of Kernel 3.0.101 is removed. After resolving these issues I got my first flashable zip! Then I needed to get manifest.xml properly. Thanks to Shivaay who helped me and I got it finally booting! It was horribly slow because of some internal changes in LMKD which our kernel doesn't support some features. The Settings-app crashes immediately leaving me unable to investigate. After reverting some patches in LMKD and things in framework/base it started to run like Android 10. I addressed the HAL's and got almost everything working in this ROM. Of course it isn't perfect and there will be bugs or instability. I'm no Samsung, just a DIY :)

For these builds you NEED ISOlated-RECovery because I had to eliminate the embedded (.cpio) ramdisk-images in zImage.
Upgrade from Samsung stock ROM using ODIN 3.07
lineage-18.0-20201207-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip

PIT: i9100-LOS-16.0-Emulated-Storage.pit
PDA: i9100-LOS-16.0-Emulated-Storage-TWRP-3.3.1-1.tar.md5

1. Boot your phone into Download-mode (Volume down + Power/Standby + Home and hold for 10 seconds).
2. Start ODIN 3.07 on your PC.
3. Connect your phone via USB to your PC.
4. Press volume up on your phone, ODIN should detect your phone.
5. In ODIN:
Auto Reboot : unchecked
Re-Partition: checked
PIT : i9100-LOS-16.0-Emulated-Storage.pit
PDA : i9100-LOS-16.0-Emulated-Storage-TWRP-3.3.1-1.tar.md5
6. Press Start.
7. After succesful flash, reboot phone into Recovery:
- Press Volume up + Power/Standby + Home and hold for 10 seconds.
The phone shuts down.
- Repeat Press Volume up + Power/Standby + Home and hold for 10 seconds
Phone boots in recovery TWRP 3.3.1-1.
8. Swipe to Allow Modifications
9. In TWRP 3.3.1-1 you need to format partions
- Wipe -> Format Data -> Type [yes]
- Wipe -> Advanced Wipe -> Select:
* Davik / ART Cache
* Cache
* System
* Non-emulated Storage
-> Swipe to Wipe
10. Install LOS-18 ( + optionally Gapps or MicroG)
To prevent "Uncryption unsuccessful" error of GAPPS at first start:
- Reboot to recovery and Wipe -> Format Data -> Type [yes] again
11. Boot System
DON'T INSTALL TWRP APP. This will cause bootloop!
12. For MicroG users:
You need manualy grant permissions via ADB to get things working properly.
These are the commands:
adb shell pm grant com.android.vending android.permission.FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE
adb shell pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE

Thanks To
  • @ChronoMonochrome
  • Shivaay
  • @lee.wp14
  • @ze7zez
  • arco68
  • Team Infusion
  • LineageOS team
  • and all prior developers that were working on this phone.
    I hope I didn't missed someone, please let me know.
  • Last but not least @channel48 which reviews custom ROMS from all kind of phones including my work on this ancient one :)
Source code:
https://www.github.com/lineageos
https://www.github.com/rinando

Current state:
Working:
- RIL (Phone/SMS)
- AGPS
- Audio
- Bluetooth (audio & headset)
- Wifi
- IMEI
- Touchkeys
- Camera Pictures
- Camera Videorecording
- Hardware encode/decoder
- Display
- Sensors
- DRM, for e.g. Netflix
- PowerHAL
- LiveDisplay
- Selinux enforced
- BitGapps
- Magisk v22.1
- FM Radio using Spirit2)

Not tested:
- Bluetooth headset
- BLN
- FM-Radio (using Spirit2)
- TWRP 3.4.0-0

Not working/known issues:
- Magisk support (misses some frameworks patches I guess)
- FM-Radio (using Spirit2)
- Home
- MicroG support
- Home-button not working while charging when phone is turned off. Use power-button

- Sometimes shutdown phone hangs (and draining your battery)
- Bluetooth headset connected via SCO

Won't fix:
- HDMI (MHL) (support broken/removed since CM 10)
Hello, I've run into a bit of a problem. So the phone was lying around for some years and I decided to upgrade it to test it out. I was on stock samsung ROM and followed the steps in the post from 1. to 7. and got thread complete and succed 1 (see ss). But when try to go into recovery mode by pressing vol up + home + power, it boots to samsung logo with a yellow warning triangle and is stuck there.

Edit: I think it was due to kies being installed in the pc....Also used battery pull after download got completed and everything went fine accordingly and now I'm running android 11 on s2.....kudos to the developer for keeping the legacy of s2 alive :)

Attachments

• Screenshot (509).png
    Screenshot (509).png
    151 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

dark$hadow

Sep 2, 2013
Hello, I've run into a bit of a problem. So the phone was lying around for some years and I decided to upgrade it to test it out. I was on stock samsung ROM and followed the steps in the post from 1. to 7. and got thread complete and succed 1 (see ss). But when try to go into recovery mode by pressing vol up + home + power, it boots to samsung logo with a yellow warning triangle and is stuck there.

Edit: I think it was due to kies being installed in the pc....Also used battery pull after download got completed and everything went fine accordingly and now I'm running android 11 on s2.....kudos to the developer for keeping the legacy of s2 alive :)
also make sure you press vol up + home + power in the right order, it seems to somehow matter, releasing only power once you see the logo then the rest of the keys when recovery mode starts.

Reactions: NikkBann
Aug 12, 2021
HTC Desire S
HI everyones:

Is also ok if it is update directly from android version 2.3.3 ? There seems to be a distincted between the European version, the Asia-Pacific version and the Korean version of this machine. . . . . .As long as the model is I9100, can it be used?

tomasz86

Oct 19, 2021
HI everyones:

Is also ok if it is update directly from android version 2.3.3 ? There seems to be a distincted between the European version, the Asia-Pacific version and the Korean version of this machine. . . . . .As long as the model is I9100, can it be used?
You can make the other versions appear as i9100, but there are caveats.

For instance, in case of the Korean version, it can be repitted into i9100, but all custom ROMs require a patch in order for SMS to work. I've only managed to find instructions on how to patch Android files up to 7.1. In newer versions, the files have changed greatly, and no sources in the Internet seem to have any information on how to patch the newer Android versions.

Because of the above, if you've got the Korean version, please be aware that SMS will likely not work in LineageOS 8 or newer. Of course, this is true if you're going to use the device with a Korean carrier. I've got no idea whether SMS on such a converted device works in other, non-Korean networks.

Reactions: 2021redmi2fans
Aug 12, 2021
HTC Desire S
You can make the other versions appear as i9100, but there are caveats.

For instance, in case of the Korean version, it can be repitted into i9100, but all custom ROMs require a patch in order for SMS to work. I've only managed to find instructions on how to patch Android files up to 7.1. In newer versions, the files have changed greatly, and no sources in the Internet seem to have any information on how to patch the newer Android versions.

Because of the above, if you've got the Korean version, please be aware that SMS will likely not work in LineageOS 8 or newer. Of course, this is true if you're going to use the device with a Korean carrier. I've got no idea whether SMS on such a converted device works in other, non-Korean networks.
Bro, thank you for your reply first! Will it be a problem to use this rom to upgrade directly from version 2.3.3? Is it no need to upgrade the stock of s2 to the latest version first?

1victor

Jun 30, 2020
Hi rINanDO, first, thx for your hard work mentaining this 10y old device alive, very good job man, its like 3 weeks sience i f***d up my galaxy s9, and i am using my first phone, the galaxy s2 as daily driver. I am fking surprised man. Except tiktok, all the apps i was using on the s9 kinda works on the s2:)) I am using it at 1400mhz with pegasusq governor, it random reboots sometimes, but its stable enough for daily use. I can t wait to see your builds on los 19 for this phone! Keep up the great work and sorry for my bad english!
Writing this from my galaxy s2 btw

Reactions: zpunout

ronFenomeno

Jan 9, 2018
Hi, I have just tried to update my lineage to the lastest version. I have installed the twrp 3.3.1 version through twrp. It does installing but I find some difficulties on installing lineage and gapps. It throws error
"E1001: Failed to update system image.
Updater process ended with ERROR: 1
Error installing zip file '/sdcard/lineage-18.1-20210912-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip'"
I have done wiping data, system, dalvik cache. However, it still gives the same error.

One more thing, when I try wiping cache (not dalvik cache), it also throws error, "mkfs.f2fs -t 0 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 process ended with ERROR: 255
Unable to wipe Cache"

May I have some advices on it?

blue whale

Nov 26, 2010
hi

i have lineage-microg 14 installed on my SII i9100, should I repit the phone to install LOS 18 ?

blue whale

Nov 26, 2010
also I seek more details on the ''10. Install LOS-18 ( + optionally Gapps or MicroG)'' from the OP

to me I always installed microG from https://download.lineage.microg.org/s2/, so as a full ROM. But I do not know what ''gapps or microG'' means. Is micro-g also an APK or a flash-able zip? if so, where do I get it ?

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
Following up on my previously reported issue:

I am having a rather vague issue regarding sleep state and battery drain.

The following situation: I am using a SII currently pretty much only as a MP3 player (using Vinyl from F-Droid) incl. sleep timer. While this was working pretty OK for some time (early September til end September) with battery lasting several days (WiFi off, airplane mode on), I am having lately issues that the devices is often drained after one night and the sleep timer in Vinyl hasn't ended either. Especially due to the last, I assumed that something is plainly getting stuck as the music doesn't last until the battery dies but rather somewhere in the range of what I set the sleep timer. I tried already different performance profiles (saver vs. balanced) and with and without WiFi on (just out of curiosity).

I can"t say for sure whether it is related to the last build which I installed around September 20th but I can say for sure that it hasn't been present before.

Anyone else having issues that could be linked a same underlying issue? Or anyone an idea?

While I was about to go for the suggestion of @mirhl (see below - thank you again), I found a simple workaround which indicates to me that it should be linked to being stuck somewhere (sleep state?): If I activate in Vinyl the option to stop only after finishing the current song, I have no issues anymore (it stops and no battery drain over night). Makes me think that the trigger loading the next song wakes up the phone avoiding the issues I had. And yes, one could describe it in more technical terms - whoever wants to do so, feel free to add.

As with all battery problems, install BBS and check from there?
[...]

Sebastian323

Mar 23, 2019
Hello,

I have instaled the latest version 2021-09-12 and nano-gapps. The battery is going down to fast, halve in 5:30 H without using it. I tryed bbs statistic, the log-file is attached. It seems, as it doesnt sleep the hole time. I didn't turn on the screen during this time. Is something I can do? Or should I wate for the next update, is someone in planing?

Best regards
Sebastian

Attachments

• BetterBatteryStats-2021-11-24_004653407[1].txt
    6 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: js-xda and JaLoou

JaLoou

Jun 20, 2017
Hello,

I have instaled the latest version 2021-09-12 and nano-gapps. The battery is going down to fast, halve in 5:30 H without using it. I tryed bbs statistic, the log-file is attached. It seems, as it doesnt sleep the hole time. I didn't turn on the screen during this time. Is something I can do? Or should I wate for the next update, is someone in planing?

Best regards
Sebastian

Thank you so much for your useful honest report!

Top Liked Posts