[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][11.0.0][r46][I9100] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
OnePlus 7T
Hello,

I have instaled the latest version 2021-09-12 and nano-gapps. The battery is going down to fast, halve in 5:30 H without using it. I tryed bbs statistic, the log-file is attached. It seems, as it doesnt sleep the hole time. I didn't turn on the screen during this time. Is something I can do? Or should I wate for the next update, is someone in planing?

Best regards
Sebastian
Thank you for sharing your experience. Is this just the case after the first boot where still a lot things are happening in the background (building Dalvik & Art) or also after recharging and running the ROM for a bit longer? If the latter, I had also issues in the past (see earlier post here) and could link it to a specific app where I don't want to judge whether a fault of the app or the ROM. Since fixing the setting in the app, I can run for several days again.

Sebastian323

Mar 23, 2019
Hello js-xda,

it is not the first start after flashing. I restarted it some times, some apps are installed. in the settings/battery is now special app mentioned, that needs to mutch battery. It says, everything is OK. But the battery is emty so fast.

Regards
Sebastian

js-xda

Aug 20, 2018
OnePlus 7T
[...] in the settings/battery is now special app mentioned, that needs to mutch battery. It says, everything is OK. But the battery is emty so fast. [...]
Same was here the case but I was able to pinpoint it to the one non-system app that I used. Silly question but just to be sure: On stock, the battery was lasting longer? On the aspect to minimize "consumers", have you tried OpenGAPPS pico or without GAPPS?

Again, I don't want to judge without deeper knowledge whether it's the ROM or some other apps but sharing my experience (without GAPPS by the way) ... just as a disclaimer to stop certain people to jump on it.

mirhl

Oct 15, 2012
Hello,

I have instaled the latest version 2021-09-12 and nano-gapps. The battery is going down to fast, halve in 5:30 H without using it. I tryed bbs statistic, the log-file is attached. It seems, as it doesnt sleep the hole time. I didn't turn on the screen during this time. Is something I can do? Or should I wate for the next update, is someone in planing?

Best regards
Sebastian
You didn't grant the app all the right permissions, and you have no wakelock information.

Reactions: js-xda

Sebastian323

Mar 23, 2019
Hello,

how do I give the right Permissions to the app? I think it needs root, but how should I give this?

I have installed Gapps Nano, because I need the dictation-Option.

Best regards
Sebastian

JaLoou

Jun 20, 2017
Hello js-xda,

it is not the first start after flashing. I restarted it some times, some apps are installed. in the settings/battery is now special app mentioned, that needs to mutch battery. It says, everything is OK. But the battery is emty so fast.

Regards
Sebastian
Thank you again! Please, continue your reports here about issues in this firmware. It is very useful to us.

JaLoou

Jun 20, 2017
Suspicious wasting cpu and internal storage in LOS 14.1... Please explain how did you conclude this. Which tooling did you use and how? What is the main cause? And how you think to solve this. This information might help.
I was trying to use your LOS 14.1 firmware on my GT-I9100 with a 128 GB microSD card almost full of pictures, videous and other stuff.

And one among many other issues of your firmware, was that it often creating giantic database files by sizes of few gigabytes at '/storage/sdcard0/DCIM/.thumbnails/'
in my smartphone wasting its CPU, its internal storage and draining its battery quickly.

While Samsung's latest official firmware is creating also similar files on my smartphone but rarely and by a much smaller size even now with an inserted 256GB microSD memory card also almost full of various videous, pictures and etc.

I was not using your LOS 18.1 firmware due to worse feelings after my bad experience with your LOS 14.1 but I guess that one of the main issues (the battery draining, CPU wasting and the smartphone overheating) of your LOS 18.1 now is same like it was before in your LOS 14.1 for Galaxy S2: extensively often creating excessively giantic database files for no clear reason.

Last edited:

zpunout

Aug 26, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S5
Moto G5 Plus
I was trying to use your LOS 14.1 firmware on my GT-I9100 with a 128 GB microSD card almost full of pictures, videous and other stuff.

And one among many other issues of your firmware, was that it often creating giantic database files by sizes of few gigabytes at '/storage/sdcard0/DCIM/.thumbnails/'
in my smartphone wasting its CPU, its internal storage and draining its battery quickly.

While Samsung's latest official firmware is creating also similar files on my smartphone but rarely and by a much smaller size even now with an inserted 256GB microSD memory card also almost full of various videous, pictures and etc.

I was not using your LOS 18.1 firmware due to worse feelings after my bad experience with your LOS 14.1 but I guess that one of the main issues (the battery draining, CPU wasting and the smartphone overheating) of your LOS 18.1 now is same like it was before in your LOS 14.1 for Galaxy S2: extensively often creating excessively giantic database files for no clear reason.
Which gallery app are you using? The one included in LineageOS? I consider this device to be a trophy phone now as it is 10 years old, so I think modern style tasks running on old hardware would indeed be more cpu intensive compared to old versions of software. Also, the battery is only 1650mAh in capacity which is tiny compared to more modern phones of similar size such as a Sony XZ2 Compact, Pixel 4 or Galaxy S10e. Which are all close to the 3000mAh capacity.
I have a couple of ideas which might help.
1. Try a different gallery app from F-Droid such as Simple Gallery. You might find an alternative which has thumbnail settings to be less cpu intensive.
2. Try an aftermarket oversized battery. I don't know what's it's like to use, so I'd love to hear back about this. Here's one example which is 3500mAh and comes with a custom sized back cover. Link

JaLoou

Jun 20, 2017
Which gallery app are you using? The one included in LineageOS? I consider this device to be a trophy phone now as it is 10 years old, so I think modern style tasks running on old hardware would indeed be more cpu intensive compared to old versions of software. Also, the battery is only 1650mAh in capacity which is tiny compared to more modern phones of similar size such as a Sony XZ2 Compact, Pixel 4 or Galaxy S10e. Which are all close to the 3000mAh capacity.
I have a couple of ideas which might help.
1. Try a different gallery app from F-Droid such as Simple Gallery. You might find an alternative which has thumbnail settings to be less cpu intensive.
2. Try an aftermarket oversized battery. I don't know what's it's like to use, so I'd love to hear back about this. Here's one example which is 3500mAh and comes with a custom sized back cover. Link
I was just returned to Samsung's latest official firmware with Android 4.1.2 for Galaxy S2 and almost all problems are gone away. So, I'm happy with it.
It is not the ideal firmware but much more useful according my experience.

I'm still watching to custom firmwares announcements for Samsung Galaxy S2 but now become very cautious about it after my personal strongly disappointing experience with LOS 14.1 and based on it RR 5.8.3-5.8.4.

As an ordinary smartphone user I do not found a worth reason for flashing the risky custom firmware instead of reliable using the official original firmware for Galaxy S2.

zpunout

Aug 26, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S5
Moto G5 Plus
I was just returned to Samsung's latest official firmware with Android 4.1.2 for Galaxy S2 and almost all problems are gone away. So, I'm happy with it.

I'm still watching to custom firmwares announcements for Samsung Galaxy S2 but now become very cautious about it after my personal strongly disappointing experience with LOS 14.1 and based on it RR 5.8.3-5.8.4.

As an ordinary smartphone user I do not found a worth reason for flashing the risky custom firmware instead of reliable using the official original firmware for Galaxy S2.
Yes. I think if you use Google Services, then the stock firmware is usually the best option unless you want a newer version of Android or MicroG.
If you want to avoid Google services for privacy reasons, then I think a custom OS vanilla build such as this one in the OP is a good option. I often install vanilla custom OSs on friends phones such as the Galaxy SII and my own phone for privacy reasons.

DevisG79

Jan 26, 2015
Hannover
i9100
OnePlus 8 Pro

Then what are you doing here if you think this firmware is risky. Then stick with the original Samsung firmware. No one is forcing you to. Above all, no one is forcing you to lie here.
BTW...The Galaxy S II can be used with microSD™ or microSDHC™ memory cards with a maximum capacity of 32 GB. I have a 64 GB micro SDXC Class 10 card in it and everything works. So I wouldn't recommend inserting cards with an even larger capacity.

Last edited:

JaLoou

Jun 20, 2017
The Galaxy S II can be used with microSD™ or microSDHC™ memory cards with a maximum capacity of 32 GB. I have a 64 GB micro SD card in it and everything works. So I wouldn't recommend inserting cards with an even larger capacity.
I have opposite opinion based on my successful experience:
I recommend to use Samsung Galaxy S2 with microSD cards up to 256GB of storage because modern fast microSD cards can slightly increase the performance of the old smartphone and yet adding more storage space. So, I recommend really to choose only a firmware which works with such memory cards reliable without a battery drain.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-02-00-23-25.png
    Screenshot_2021-01-02-00-23-25.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: zpunout

tomasz86

Oct 19, 2021
Thank you very much for keeping realising new builds for the old device :).

I just wanted to mention that disk encryption seems to be broken in the ROM. If you try to enable encryption, the ROM reboots, but it goes straight to the desktop with no actual encryption taking place.

I've found https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/1027, which describes similar symptoms. I've tried to manually resize the data partition as described there, but the furthest I can ever get to is an encryption screen that is stuck at 0% with "00:00" time remaining. There is no progress though, and the actual encryption still doesn't happen.

My newbie guess would be that the issue may have something to do with the emulated storage and the partition table.

Reactions: andreoide

rINanDO

Dec 17, 2009
Thank you very much for keeping realising new builds for the old device :).

I just wanted to mention that disk encryption seems to be broken in the ROM. If you try to enable encryption, the ROM reboots, but it goes straight to the desktop with no actual encryption taking place.

I've found https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/1027, which describes similar symptoms. I've tried to manually resize the data partition as described there, but the furthest I can ever get to is an encryption screen that is stuck at 0% with "00:00" time remaining. There is no progress though, and the actual encryption still doesn't happen.

My newbie guess would be that the issue may have something to do with the emulated storage and the partition table.
I gave it a try to fix this, but I don't have the knowledge to fix this :(.

Top Liked Posts