• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][11.0][ I9300 ][ LineageOS 18.1 ][BETA][TREBLELIZED]

Search This thread

rootlessuser

Sep 12, 2021
I suggest you to try MicroG instead. Here's a link to get you started👇
Thanks for the advice, not installing gapps seems to have fixed my problem. My I9300 has not been so fluid for years. Even with CRDroid 7 my phone didn't work as well as now.

Why are gapps interfering so much with stability ? Is it a RAM problem ?

I didn't try MicroG so far as I used an alternative to Google Play but I will check that.

Mar 20, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S III I9300
Thanks for the advice, not installing gapps seems to have fixed my problem. My I9300 has not been so fluid for years. Even with CRDroid 7 my phone didn't work as well as now.

I didn't try MicroG so far as I used an alternative to Google Play but I will check that.
RAM could be a problem as SGS3 only has 1 GB of RAM. But the main problem lies with the GApps itself. See, Google Play Services is one of the main culprits of slowing down an old phone. On an average phone, Google Play Services is one of the most resource hogging applications as takes up storage space of about 300 MB to 1-2 GB and it constantly runs in the background taking up about 80- 150 MB on RAM. And the Google app itself takes about 300-500 MB space and runs in the background 50-100 MB RAM. You cannot even stop it because after some time, when you check the running processes, it's still there!
Google is mainly known for the collection of its users' data. 80% of Alphabet.Inc's revenue (Google's parent company) is from advertisements and from collecting users' data. This also kinda explains why Google Play services always runs in the background. And the more Google apps you put, the more it runs in the background.

rootlessuser

Sep 12, 2021
RAM could be a problem as SGS3 only has 1 GB of RAM. But the main problem lies with the GApps itself. See, Google Play Services is one of the main culprits of slowing down an old phone. On an average phone, Google Play Services is one of the most resource hogging applications as takes up storage space of about 300 MB to 1-2 GB and it constantly runs in the background taking up about 80- 150 MB on RAM. And the Google app itself takes about 300-500 MB space and runs in the background 50-100 MB RAM. You cannot even stop it because after some time, when you check the running processes, it's still there!
Google is mainly known for the collection of its users' data. 80% of Alphabet.Inc's revenue (Google's parent company) is from advertisements and from collecting users' data. This also kinda explains why Google Play services always runs in the background. And the more Google apps you put, the more it runs in the background.
Still used and tested the phone without gaaps. Really smooth experience, I feel like having a new phone. I'll keep using it without Google, but I will try on a Galaxy S5 using MicroG as the performance with an Android 7 ROM is only average.

Thanks for the the advice, you really saved me !

html6405

Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2016
Update 22.09.2021:
  • Included aptX support
  • Set low_ram to true
  • Allowed split screen, picture in picture and freeform for low_ram
I hope these steps will improve the experience with gapps, because they are really RAM consuming.

Last edited:

lpedia

Sep 18, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
HTC 10
I flashed this to my SHV-E210S, which is identical to the i9305, with the addition of the digital TV tuner. I'm very impressed to see this running, here's what I found:

• I did have to modify the install script to get it to install on this model. If you do want to add 'official' support in the installer, the model code is `m3`.
  • It wouldn't connect to a WiFi network, and it showed up as having the MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00. Setting it to use randomised MAC addresses allows it to connect. I did upgrade from an Android 9 rom (clean install), so I'm guessing something happened with that and that it would be fine if I had installed stock ROM first.
  • Camera doesn't seem to work. OpenCamera does recognise the camera, but doesn't seem to be able to open it or use the flash. Not a big deal, as it is an S3.
  • Adaptive brightness works fine
  • No random restarts yet.
It is a little on the slow side, but it is like a decade old now, so I really can't fault it for that. Haven't run into any other issues and I'm very impressed that this is running on the S3.
Thanks for reporting this, @wilk.gr76! That encouraged me to try it on an i9305.

It's working pretty well on the i9305. I had expected more glitches. Installation (clean flash) of build 20210922 went smoothly - just modified updater-script to add i9305 to the assert command (could also just delete the assert command). My observations:
  • Performance: seems OK - isn't noticeably different from same device with 16.0. [this device has 2G memory, and I haven't installed Gapps or MicroG]
  • Random reboots: I haven't seen any yet (two days since install).
  • Wifi is working, but can't establish a connection to a dual-band 2.4GHz+5GHz network, even with random MAC addressing turned on. It connects to single-band 2.4GHz or 5GHz networks, and the connection is stable with either. Note: with LOS 16.0, it could connect to the dual-band network.
  • Hardware navbar (including Home) not working. On-screen navbar works.
  • Sensors: DevCheck app can see all sensors, and they all seem active.
  • GPS isn't working.
  • Screen rotation isn't working properly - the angle of rotation is 180 degrees out (display is upside-down) if allowed to rotate.
  • Camera works with the camera app that came with this build, except that the image orientation is 180 degrees out.
  • Audio: speaker works, but max volume is low.
  • Bluetooth is working with a BT headset and BT speaker. Volume range is reasonable.
  • Telephony: I haven't tested yet.

Reactions: wilk.gr76

html6405

Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2016
Thanks for reporting this, @wilk.gr76! That encouraged me to try it on an i9305.

It's working pretty well on the i9305. I had expected more glitches. Installation (clean flash) of build 20210922 went smoothly - just modified updater-script to add i9305 to the assert command (could also just delete the assert command). My observations:
  • Performance: seems OK - isn't noticeably different from same device with 16.0. [this device has 2G memory, and I haven't installed Gapps or MicroG]
  • Random reboots: I haven't seen any yet (two days since install).
  • Wifi is working, but can't establish a connection to a dual-band 2.4GHz+5GHz network, even with random MAC addressing turned on. It connects to single-band 2.4GHz or 5GHz networks, and the connection is stable with either. Note: with LOS 16.0, it could connect to the dual-band network.
  • Hardware navbar (including Home) not working. On-screen navbar works.
  • Sensors: DevCheck app can see all sensors, and they all seem active.
  • GPS isn't working.
  • Screen rotation isn't working properly - the angle of rotation is 180 degrees out (display is upside-down) if allowed to rotate.
  • Camera works with the camera app that came with this build, except that the image orientation is 180 degrees out.
  • Audio: speaker works, but max volume is low.
  • Bluetooth is working with a BT headset and BT speaker. Volume range is reasonable.
  • Telephony: I haven't tested yet.
Hi,
thx for your testing's, but I wan't to mention that this build is not meant to be installed on an i9305.
There are some hardware specific differences, this is why GPS, RIL couldn't work on this device.
The screen rotation is normal on my i9300, so I'm not sure if this is also a hardware specific aspect.

But I'm working on the LTE devices, it's not really easy to fix the RIL on Android 11, but I've already made some progress and hope to fix it completely soon.
Than I could publish an own build for the i9305.

lpedia

Sep 18, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
HTC 10
Hi,
thx for your testing's, but I wan't to mention that this build is not meant to be installed on an i9305.
There are some hardware specific differences, this is why GPS, RIL couldn't work on this device.
The screen rotation is normal on my i9300, so I'm not sure if this is also a hardware specific aspect.

But I'm working on the LTE devices, it's not really easy to fix the RIL on Android 11, but I've already made some progress and hope to fix it completely soon.
Thanks @html6405. I tried it just to see what would happen. I'm not depending on the device as a daily drive, so if it had not worked at all it wouldn't have mattered. I am surprised at what does work, and not at all surprised by the bits that don't.

And thank you for working on a build for the LTE devices! If you need testers for the i9305, I'd be willing to volunteer. ;)

Nov 29, 2012
Good evening there. Just stumbled upon this thread and immediately flashed my old I9300.
Unfortunately, I also have the problem that WIFI does not work.
Network SSIDs are listed, but the connection fails.
MAC is 00:00:00:00:00:00.
Random MAC in developer settings does not help.
IMEI is OK.

Any ideas? LOGCAT could be provided if necessary.

Have a nice evening, folks!

lpedia

Sep 18, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
HTC 10
Good evening there. Just stumbled upon this thread and immediately flashed my old I9300.
IMEI is OK.

I suggest you try connecting to a single-band wifi network if yours is dual-band.

html6405

Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2016
IMEI is OK.

Disable WPA3 in your router settings if possible.

@html6405 Can you share some info how you built the ROM?

I made a script based on what rINanDO has on github to rebase his repos.
However, the resulting ROM has a permission problem so that in the Settings app it shows free space correctly, but in the Play Store I can't install any app, because the app detects no free space in the storage.
If you could share some instructions or a manifest, that would be a great help already.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Great news, after a long time creating hack's to boot up the modem on the exynos4 LTE devices (also the i9305),
    I've finally managed to get the RIL working, this mean's that I will create an own I9305 build soon.

Hi,

Thanks @html6405. I tried it just to see what would happen. I'm not depending on the device as a daily drive, so if it had not worked at all it wouldn't have mattered. I am surprised at what does work, and not at all surprised by the bits that don't.

And thank you for working on a build for the LTE devices! If you need testers for the i9305, I'd be willing to volunteer. ;)

I9305 users, have fun :)
    Update 21.09.2021:
    • Fixed telephony issue which appeared in the last update
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

Hi,

here you can find my version of LineageOS 18.1 for our Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300).
    At first I want to thank @rINanDO, @ChronoMonochrome for all your work.
    This Rom is based on https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-unofficial-11-0-0-lineageos-18-0-alpha-20-10-2020.4179303/ .

This is a early beta build, so don't install it if you want a stable rom and don't report my already listed bugs!

Here you can see how far everything is working for now.

• Boot
    • Audio
    • Bluetooth
    • Graphics
    • Cameras
    • Sensors
    • Wifi
    • GPS
    • USB
    • Video playback (HW/SW)
    • Tethering via USB
    • RIL
    • OTA-Updates
    • GSI flash
    • NFC
    • much more...
    • Tethering via WIFI and Bluetooth
    • BT headset call
    • Screen Cast, Chromecast did work, Samsung TV not
    • Random reboots
    • SD-Card can't be formatted as a storage expansion, your device will crash
    • Maybe more
    You could use a gps.conf from https://app.box.com/s/w57s1v1n3hie7l5lk28i for your location and replace /vendor/etc/gps.conf.
    Or you try GPS Server Optimizer app for a faster 3D fix.
    For both methods you need root rights.
    If you are going to use Gapps,
    here you can download them:
    Open Gapps
    For the others, you can use microG in future.

Do you like my work?
    Than you can simply hit the thanks button and consider to spend me a coffee or a beer,
    I'm doing this in my free time and it also costs a lot of money to buy hardware.

donate

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][11.x][I9300][BETA] LineageOS 18.1, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S3

Contributors

html6405
    Source Code: https://github.com/html6405

ROM OS Version: 11.x R
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    ROM Firmware Required: TWRP 3.5.2
    Based On: LineageOS
    Selinux: permissive, this only makes sense as soon the ROM is stable.

Version Information
    Beta

Created 2021-07-05
    Last Updated 2021-09-22
    Update 06.07.2021:
    • Changed menu button behavior to better support AOSP
    • WIFI and RIL fixes for AOSP
    Now you can flash your first GSI on your Samsung Galaxy SIII.

This update will be available via AFH and OTA.
    Update 24.07.2021:
    Via OTA and AFH.
    Update 15.07.2021:
    • Included permissions for signature spoofing
    • Disabled wallpaper zoom ( lowered max scale for the wallpaper when it's zoomed in )
    • Inserted parted for repartitioning, this will be necessary for most GSI's in future (just a single process, it will persist).
    • Inserted a fixgsi script, with this we are able to boot up most android 11 GSI's (but most of them will not be stable without my patches).
    Via OTA and AFH.
    Great news, after a long time creating hack's to boot up the modem on the exynos4 LTE devices (also the i9305),
    I've finally managed to get the RIL working, this mean's that I will create an own I9305 build soon.