• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][Unofficial][11.0][signed][OTA] Lineage OS 18.1 for Xperia Z1 compact

Search This thread
LineageOS 18.1 test build for 2nd build variant - feedback?
Hi all, I have asked this also in the 17.1 thread (hence sorry for double-posting), but the topic fits into both threads:
I see 90 downloads in sourceforge.net for the LineageOS 18.1 test build for the "microG" variant, so there definitely is interest.
However - so far, we did not get feedback. Does that mean "all is fine" and we're ready to go?

tramp20

Jan 15, 2012
Rosenheim
LineageOS 18.1 test build for 2nd build variant - feedback?
However - so far, we did not get feedback. Does that mean "all is fine" and we're ready to go?
Hi,
I don't use this variant, but I had some bugs (already very old, they were passed on the next LOS):

1. NFC-HCE is missing (stock ROM had this feature). I already read that the stack is not available to you.

2. The icons in the status line are all black/white. If I touch this line they all become colored during touching.

3. A-GPS is missing too. After a reboot/shut down the time to get a fix is ~15 min. This is the regular time to download all GPS satellite data from the the satellite direct.
With A-GPS (from internet) the fix is valid after seconds.

4. Missing permission for ANT+, see posting #78 and #79.

Nevertheless many thanks to you all for your hard work for our Z1c.

Reactions: 115ek and MSe1969

Bergfex2

Apr 4, 2014
Hello and thanks a lot for this ROM. But can I ask a question please? In my case, the FM-Radio does not work. I am the only one who has this problem? What can I do?

Thanks a lot / Herzlichen Dank.

Bergfex

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
Hello and thanks a lot for this ROM. But can I ask a question please? In my case, the FM-Radio does not work. I am the only one who has this problem? What can I do?

Thanks a lot / Herzlichen Dank.

Bergfex
Hey. I also noticed it some days ago. Just had a quick look - most likely an SE related issue. I already saw some denials in the log.
If it's just that it'll be fixed in the next release.

Other than that also DRM is broken (so for example netflix won't work).

EDIT: Yeah, fm-radio is broken due to the se-policy rewrite. I just set the permissive mode and it started working again.

Reactions: MSe1969

Bergfex2

Apr 4, 2014
Thanks for your information. Then I will wait. With the AICP 15 - Rom (Android 10) the Radio works fine. For me, FM Radio is a nice feature because it uses less electricity. I do not use Netflix on my phone ;).

New "LineageOS 18.1 microG variant"
Hi all, I have created a new "microG" variant, which can be dirty-flashed on the previous test build:

It contains the changes announced by @115ek and also the kernel patches applied to the 17.1 September build, for which the feedback was given in the 17.1 thread, that the performance was improved (after recent decrease).

If you want to update from the 17.1 microG variant, please follow these instructions.

In general, we plan to provide the last 17.1 builds in October.

Reactions: 115ek and o-l-a-v

tramp20

Jan 15, 2012
Rosenheim
@115ek, @MSe1969

I have several Z1c with latest LOS 18.1, almost the same apps on all and the following problem occurs on all smartphones.
I have already done factory resets, installed only the most necessary apps, but without a positive result.

If I remove or connect the charging cable I see (not reproducible every time):
1. only a very short flicker on the screen
2. only the background becomes black for 1-3 seconds
3. the whole screen becomes black without status and navigation lines for 1- 3 seconds
4. the worst case: "System-UI does not respond, wait or close"

I have attached a catlog at removing the charging cable.

Even a test with LOS 17.1 shows the same.
I hope someone can see something in the catlog.

Attachments

• 2021-09-27-08-57-40.zip
    16.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
@115ek, @MSe1969

I have several Z1c with latest LOS 18.1, almost the same apps on all and the following problem occurs on all smartphones.
I have already done factory resets, installed only the most necessary apps, but without a positive result.

If I remove or connect the charging cable I see (not reproducible every time):
1. only a very short flicker on the screen
2. only the background becomes black for 1-3 seconds
3. the whole screen becomes black without status and navigation lines for 1- 3 seconds
4. the worst case: "System-UI does not respond, wait or close"

I have attached a catlog at removing the charging cable.

Even a test with LOS 17.1 shows the same.
I hope someone can see something in the catlog.
Are you able to reproduce this problem with a clean installation without ANY modification?

From the log I see that there is an exception thrown (java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException[I][/I]).
This is caused by com.anttek.widgets which leads me there. Is that correct? Do you have this thing installed?
To be honest: I can't really give support when it comes to xposed.
Could you check if the problem persists also without this app installed?

tramp20

Jan 15, 2012
Rosenheim
Are you able to reproduce this problem with a clean installation without ANY modification?
No

This is caused by com.anttek.widgets which leads me there. Is that correct? Do you have this thing installed?
Yes but after uninstalling all lsposed modules and this app the problem still exists.

To be honest: I can't really give support when it comes to xposed.
Absolute.

It is very difficult to find this problem.
Since January I make countless clean LOS installs, install my apps one after the other, wait some days if the problem comes back and suddenly it happens again.
Sometimes I can stop charging over the whole day without a single flickering :-(

During lock screen this never happens.

It is never ending.

Anyway many thanks for looking in my log file.

Edit: but the system-ui should not crash.

Last edited:

Beni777

Sep 27, 2021
@115ek Hey bro, you make Android 12 for this mobile phone on October month?

October 4

A new leak courtesy of XDA Developers' editor-in-chief Mishaal Rahman claims that Android 12 will officially launch on October 4.

Last edited:

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
but the system-ui should not crash.
That is true.
However, when doing heavy modifications of the system itself, no one can guarantee that the system behaves as before. Perhaps the uninstall is not so clean as it should be? Just guessing...
But what does the log say when the app is uninstalled and the device gets stuck? That would be interesting.

lm089

Jun 26, 2011
Munich
Hi,
just ran an OTA update on the other version (17.1), worked flawlessly as ever.
Then I noticed MSe1969's remark about that it's probably the last update and that we should move over to 18.1. Also I found that post here which seems to suggest that I could try a "dirty" update from 17.1 to 18.1.
So I felt lucky and after creating a backup I simply dared to install 18.1 over the existing 17.1. Then I ended up in an endlessly looping LOS startup logo. After ~5 minutes I stopped it and restored my fresh backup.

Before I go and do a clean install: is this supposed to work, or did I get it all wrong?

Current setup is standard 17.1 (october build, non-microG), + OpenGApps pico + Magisk 20.3. Apps-wise there's nothing special, and no Xposed or other critical stuff

Let me know if you want to look at some catlog stuff, but that's probably useless in that case, is it?
Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi,
Then I noticed MSe1969's remark about that it's probably the last update and that we should move over to 18.1. Also I found that post here which seems to suggest that I could try a "dirty" update from 17.1 to 18.1.
So I felt lucky and after creating a backup I simply dared to install 18.1 over the existing 17.1. Then I ended up in an endlessly looping LOS startup logo. After ~5 minutes I stopped it and restored my fresh backup.

Before I go and do a clean install: is this supposed to work, or did I get it all wrong?

Current setup is standard 17.1 (october build, non-microG), + OpenGApps pico + Magisk 20.3. Apps-wise there's nothing special, and no Xposed or other critical stuff

Let me know if you want to look at some catlog stuff, but that's probably useless in that case, is it?
Cheers!
Hi, my description was focusing on the microG variant. If you have variant A with Gapps, I'd recommend the following "dirty flash" approach:
- wipe the system partition
- flash LineageOS 18.1
- flash Gapps for Android 11

To me it seems, based on your description, that you did not update the Gapps to Android 11, so after flashing LineageOS 18.1 over 17.1, the Gapps survival script has restored the Android 10 Gapps, which for sure is a recipe for trouble...

Further, not sure about Magisk - do you have a survival script active?

Reactions: lm089

lm089

Jun 26, 2011
Munich
Hi, my description was focusing on the microG variant.
OK, makes sense...
If you have variant A with Gapps, I'd recommend the following "dirty flash" approach:
Good idea, I'll try that the other day
To me it seems, based on your description, that you did not update the Gapps to Android 11, ...
Oh, of course, forgot about that!
Not that I would know, it's just plain magisk, use it for rooting only

Thanks for the ideas. Will post results

lm089

Jun 26, 2011
Munich
Hi, my description was focusing on the microG variant. If you have variant A with Gapps, I'd recommend the following "dirty flash" approach:
- flash LineageOS 18.1

To me it seems, based on your description, that you did not update the Gapps to Android 11, so after flashing LineageOS 18.1 over 17.1, the Gapps survival script has restored the Android 10 Gapps, which for sure is a recipe for trouble...

Hi, did as you wrote: wipe system > flash ROM > flash BiTGApps
Delete Dalvik, just to be sure
Reboot to system took a while (was to be expected) then I ended up at the lock screen.
Trying to unlock (drawing pattern) screen goes black or a second or two then I'm back at the lock screen. I can repeat that as often as I wish. Also complete reboot doesn't help. (No the device isn't encrypted)

Thought that maybe Magisk 20.3 could be the cause. Back to TWRP, tried to run the Magisk uninstaller which resulted in an Error 1.

UPDATE: the cause for the uninstaller error was that I had used a script that apparently was too old...

Weird. Currently I'm on my way back to 17.1.

Next time I'll try to uninstall Magisk before flashing 18.1; hope that helps

UPDATE 2:
no it's not Magisk: even if I uninstall Magisk from V 17.1 I still have the same behaviour as described above.

Let me know if you wish to investigate then I can run a few more tests. Else I would do a clean install over the weekend; absolutely no problem for me as this is my secondary device with just 2 or 3 apps running on it, easy to get up and running from scratch.

UPDATE 3:
last test: before upgrading I removed the locking mechanism (removed pattern etc.), then repeated everything.
Result: now when the phone is ready booting LOS it shows the blank start screen (just the background image to be exact) for a very brief moment; the "Trust" message appears, then it crashes right back to the animated LOS boot logo > repeats "forever"

I assume that others probably had more luck upgrading that way, in that case it must be something I installed or configured, whatever that is...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Awesome ROM, Smooth and fast. Thanks for your hard work.
    New builds available with October '21 ASB patches

Hi all,
    new builds with the Octrober '21 ASB patches are available:

A. Standard LineageOS 17.1 build
    • Security String 2021-10-01
    • System Webview on 94.0.4606.71

B. Pre-installed microG build variant with additional security patches
    • Security String 2021-10-01
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 93.0.4577.83

@115ek - please update OP/Changelog

PLEASE NOTE:
    Effective immediately, the two build variants will be offered here regularly, as the 17.1 thread will be EOL. As announced, the October builds will be the final 17.1 builds.
    In regards to OTA updates:
    • The "regular" build (variant A) will soon be offered as OTA update, once @115ek has merged my pull request against his OTA repo. We will switch to the OTA repo of our common GH repository, hence a last time, 115ek's repo needs to trigger the OTA update.
    • If you are already on the last 18.1 test build for the "microG" variant (variant B), you will nonetheless have to flash the build manually! OTA updates will only work from this now 'official' build onwards.

Happy flashing!
    Regards, M.
    No, that's not weird. Your picture explains it all.

This is the lineage recovery, not the TWRP. It might work, but I never tested it. So I guess now you tested it ;)
    Please flash the TWRP.

If you don't see something like that:
    View attachment 5435123
    the lineage recovery is installed. The image above shows how TWRP looks like.

The reason for that is (most likely) that you enabled an option that updates/installs the lineage recovery (effectively replacing the TWRP) with every OTA update. This is (in our case) unwanted behaviour.
    So the way to go now would be:
    1. Disable this option (somewhere under developer options I think. Maybe @MSe1969 could jump in here. Else I'll have another look in the evening.)
    2. Flash the TWRP
    3. Verify it is the TWRP
    4. Check updating again
    Thanks so much! It finally worked. Also thanks to @MSe1969 for pointing out where this setting 'update recovery' is located. It somehow enabled itself once after disabling it but finally I was able to install the October update.
    Thanks for your great support and patience!
    Hi,

Cheers!
    - flash LineageOS 18.1

Z1 compact get android 12? This phone can run 12?
    Before even starting to consider spending any time on 12, there are for us some prerequisites to be fulfilled. E.g. "LineageOS has started to provide official 12 builds" for any device.
    Alone that requirement is anticipated - looking at the previous cycles - to be fulfilled earliest January 2022, but probably even February.
    There are more things than that, not going too much into details. So only after that 1st prerequisite is met, we will be able to try finding out, whether this is possible and feasible (which still does not necessarily mean, that there will be a 12 build at all...)
    This thread aims at providing LineageOS 18.1 builds for the Sony Xperia Z1 compact with current security patches.
    You can consider this thread as a successor of our LineageOS 17.1 thread, where you may also find some useful information.
    This is the joint effort of 115ek and MSe1969 (contributions welcome).

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you. Hard & a lot.
    */

We offer two build variants:
    A. Standard LineageOS 18.1 build
    This build flavor aims at providing LineageOS 18.1 "as is" with most recent security patches.
    If you want to install Google Apps (GApps) you have to use this build variant.
    You could install additional Google Apps if you want to. This has to be done directly after the lineage installation BEFORE the first boot.
    The smaller the package, the better in terms of performance. (None is of course the most performant). If you want "Okay google" support you need at least nano. Else I'd recommend pico.

Downloads:
    OpenGapps
    BitGapps
    MindTheGapps (mirror)

B. Pre-installed microG build variant with additional security patches
    For the security/privacy focused (more details about below feature list, see here)
    • Pre-installed microG and F-Droid same as the LineageOS for microG project
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore
    • eSpeak TTS engine (FOSS TTS solution)
    • Bromite as default browser
    • Additional security hardening features listed below
    • Cloudflare as default fallback DNS (instead of Google)
    • Privacy-preferred default settings
    • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking (Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Optional disable captive portal detection or choose from various providers (default is GrapheneOS and not Google; Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Increased max. password length of 64
    • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google/Sony when GPS is in use
    • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView
    • Extra control of sensor access for additionally installed user apps (Special access under app permissions)
    • Firewall (control internet access per app - under Trust)
    • Constified JNI method tables

Status
    List template by AdrianDC
    Code:
    - Boot : Ok
    - Partitions (Data, Cache) : Ext4 and F2FS supported
    - Bluetooth : Ok but MAC address is not correctly set (random address)
    - WiFi : Ok
    - WiFi Hotspot : Ok
    - RIL - Phone - Data : Ok
    - GPS : Ok
    - Camera : Ok
    - Camcorder : Ok
    - Lights : Ok
    - MicroSD : Ok
    - Accelerometer : Ok
    - Compass : Ok
    - Gyroscope : Ok
    - Touchscreen : Ok
    - FM Radio : Ok
    - ANT+ : broken
    - Vibrator : Ok
    - Microphone : Ok
    - Audio & music : Ok
    - Bluetooth audio : Ok
    - MHL: broken
    - NFC : Ok
    - Kernel : Ok
    - Graphics : Ok
    - 3D Rendering : Ok
    - Clock : Ok
    - Offline Charging : Ok
    - USB : Ok
    - USB OTG : Ok
    - Encryption : ?
    - SEPolicies : enforcing
    - DRM: Ok, Widevine L3
    Limitations
    Following limitations are known:
    • NFC-HCE does not work (needed for example for google pay)
    • FM does not work in stereo mode (mono works fine, though)
    • MHL does not work
    • ANT+ does not work
    Download
    FAQ
    What recovery system to use?
    Please use this TWRP if you want to use OTA updates and/or encryption.

What about root access?
    Root isn't included per default (except root over adb, but it's off by default).
    If you want to gain root access to your apps use magisk (everything > 20.4 is broken):
    ANT+ isn't working?
    You need the 2 apps:

afterwards setting proper permissions is essential!
    1. Go to Apps & Notifications -> See All Apps
    2. Select 'ANT Radio Service'
    3. Select Permissions
    4. Select Additional permissions
    5. Slide switch to allow using of ANT hardware
    This refers to those instructions which worked for me :)
    I've got problems AND have magisk/exposed installed
    We won't support anything related to magisk/exposed/other heavily system modifying things.
    If you're encountering problems please make sure you're using a clean installation (at most gapps) to verify/reproduce the issue.

Bugreports
    You'll find information about logging here.
    Please also note how you got the error or how it can be reproduced.
    Sources
    Credits
    • SpiritCroc: big thanks to him for maintaining the device trees and a lot of very useful hints
    • NeoArian: also big thanks to him ;)
    • rcstar6696
    • SuperLamic
    • drakonizer
    • AdrianDC
    • munjeni: thanks for tips and tricks
    • nailyk: thanks for tips and tricks
    • All the other contributors on sony msm8974 platform
    • LineageOS team

Installation instructions

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage OS 18.1 for Xperia Z1 compact - amami, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Contributors

115ek, MSe1969, SpiritCroc, NeoArian, drakonizer, rcstar6696, SuperLamic, AdrianDC, nailyk, LineageOS team
    Source Code: https://github.com/lin18-microg/local_manifests

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information
    Stable
    Stable Release Date: 2021-10-14

Created 2020-12-06
    Last Updated 2021-10-14
    you are a rude person, be a little kind.
    This is completely ridiculous. OP is sacrificing his free time to the community not only by maintaining the ROMs, but also answering SERIOUS questions as accurately as it's possible, yet you're calling him rude even though the 1st post contains the answer for your question, as he said.
    New build
    • added livedisplay
    • synced LineageOS sources (security patch level June 05, 2021)
    New build
    • switched to 3.4 kernel with security backports (thanks @MSe1969 and @SkewedZeppelin )
    • synced LineageOS sources (security patch level August 05, 2021)
    I found some time again.
    Please report if the OTA update is working properly.

• fixed wifi MAC address readout
    • synced LineageOS sources (security patch level May 05, 2021)