• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][Unofficial][11.0][signed][OTA] Lineage OS 18.1 for Xperia Z1 compact

Search This thread
New builds available with October '21 ASB patches

Hi all,
new builds with the Octrober '21 ASB patches are available:

A. Standard LineageOS 17.1 build
  • Security String 2021-10-01
  • System Webview on 94.0.4606.71

B. Pre-installed microG build variant with additional security patches
  • Security String 2021-10-01
  • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 93.0.4577.83

@115ek - please update OP/Changelog

PLEASE NOTE:
Effective immediately, the two build variants will be offered here regularly, as the 17.1 thread will be EOL. As announced, the October builds will be the final 17.1 builds.
In regards to OTA updates:
  • The "regular" build (variant A) will soon be offered as OTA update, once @115ek has merged my pull request against his OTA repo. We will switch to the OTA repo of our common GH repository, hence a last time, 115ek's repo needs to trigger the OTA update.
  • If you are already on the last 18.1 test build for the "microG" variant (variant B), you will nonetheless have to flash the build manually! OTA updates will only work from this now 'official' build onwards.

Happy flashing!
Regards, M.

Reactions: 115ek and tramp20

fiddler21

Oct 14, 2021
Hi all,
first of all, thank you very much for providing this great software and helping extend the device lifetime!
I originally switched from the Sony OS to Lineage OS 18.1 with the July version. In the meantime I have downloaded two updates via the integrated 'Updater' app. Now the October update is pending, but it says I have no internet connection although WLAN is connected. But that is just a minor issue.
Main thing is the update installations fail, both of them with the same log which is the following:

E: Error opening trace file: No such file or directory (2)
Supported API: 3
Finding update package...
Verifiying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
Update package verification took 6.4 s (result 1)
E: Signature verification failed
E: error: 21
Installation aborted.

Does this make sense to anybody and do you have any advice on how to fix this? I have set up my SD card as an extra storage (so you can remove the card) because using it for extending the internal storage didn't work robustly. Maybe that's important information. If you need anything else, please let me know.

Again, thanks for your great work!

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
A small typo found its way into the update URL. This is why OTA updates to the standard lineage october version did not work.
I fixed that - updates should be downloadable now.

Please excuse the inconveniences.

If the download should still not work please clear the updater app's storage. (see screenshot)
1634238070876.png

Reactions: MSe1969

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
Does this make sense to anybody and do you have any advice on how to fix this?
Which version are you using - microg or standard one?
Where did you got this log from?
How did you run the updates? Normally the updater app will guide you through, you just need to click the install button. Reboot and installation will happen automatically.
Which recovery system are you using? It has to be the following one: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/recovery-unofficial-amami-twrp-3-4-0.3960699/

fiddler21

Oct 14, 2021
Which version are you using - microg or standard one?
Where did you got this log from?
How did you run the updates? Normally the updater app will guide you through, you just need to click the install button. Reboot and installation will happen automatically.
Which recovery system are you using? It has to be the following one: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/recovery-unofficial-amami-twrp-3-4-0.3960699/
I have the nano one (I guess, that is the standard?)

I did tap on the install button. Then the phone reboots, starts to install the update and then I see the log I posted.

I have installed the TWRP. I guess it's the version you linked. Can I check the version on the phone?

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
I have the nano one (I guess, that is the standard?)
Nano is a variant of a gapps package. You can only install gapps on the standard lineage version. So if you have gapps (playstore, etc..) you definitely are using the standard version, not the microg one.

Then the phone reboots, starts to install the update and then I see the log I posted.
Do you see this error directly? Or does something install and then in a second run you see this message?

Can I check the version on the phone?
Yes. You could reboot to the recovery and check the version directly. Either enable advanced reboot (then you can reach recovery via reboot menu) or power off the phone and go into the recovery by pressing Vol - and power.
But as you already installed some versions already it doesn't seem to be a problem with TWRP I guess.

Which lineage version your are on? Can you post the complete string here? Settings->About Phone->Android Version->LineageOS version
How does your system updater looks like? Which version you want to update to?
Perhaps the downloaded update got corrupted somehow, so you see the signature error. Please also delete everything from the updater app (already downloaded firmwares) and redownload the latest one.

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
Sorry, but the download is not found.
Which build are you currently on? From your previous post I'd assume that you're already on the latest 20211013.
Then it is expected that the updater is not able to find something.
Can you post the output of
Code:
adb shell getprop lineage.updater.uri

If it already points to the new repo https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lin18-microG/OTA/lineage-18.1/amami.json then it is fine. This file is not yet available and will first become available starting with the November build. (We switched from the 115ek OTA repo to the lin18-microG OTA repo).

If you're not on the latest build: Did you wipe data of the updater app?

fiddler21

Oct 14, 2021
Nano is a variant of a gapps package. You can only install gapps on the standard lineage version. So if you have gapps (playstore, etc..) you definitely are using the standard version, not the microg one.

Do you see this error directly? Or does something install and then in a second run you see this message?
After tapping the install button there is a first progress bar that goes until 20%, then the phone reboots, shows the Sony logo and orange LED and then I see another progress bar, not showing any value, only a line, which again seems to go until appr. 20% and then it shows the recovery menu and the log I posted on the bottom of the screen.
Yes. You could reboot to the recovery and check the version directly. Either enable advanced reboot (then you can reach recovery via reboot menu) or power off the phone and go into the recovery by pressing Vol - and power.
Where can I enable the advanced reboot?
I tried the Vol - and power but it only shows the Lineage Version (18.1 (20210719))
I checked the instructions I followed when installing the ROM. They linked the 3.2.1 TWRP version but there you pinned a post saying it is deprecated and another link to the 3.4 version. So I am pretty sure I used that one.
But as you already installed some versions already it doesn't seem to be a problem with TWRP I guess.
I think my description was not accurate. The July version is the one I installed initially. I downloaded the August, September and October updates but all three of them fail to install in the way I described.
Which lineage version your are on? Can you post the complete string here? Settings->About Phone->Android Version->LineageOS version
18.1-20210719-UNOFFICIAL-amami
How does your system updater looks like? Which version you want to update to?
I have attached a screenshot. I tried the August, September and October updates. All with the same result.
Perhaps the downloaded update got corrupted somehow, so you see the signature error. Please also delete everything from the updater app (already downloaded firmwares) and redownload the latest one.
I am downloading the October update right now. I will update this post, once I have tried to install it.
Edit: Nope, same result.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211016-193457_Updater.png
    Screenshot_20211016-193457_Updater.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
Where can I enable the advanced reboot?
Settings->System->Gestures->Power-menu->Advanced Restart (or simply search for advanced restart (erweiterter Neustart) in settings.)
So I am pretty sure I used that one.
Please enter the TWRP and report its version. It should be 3.4.0-1. The version is printed in the TWRP main menu at the top. I'd guess your problem relates to an outdated TWRP version. If it should be older, please update it. You can flash the new TWRP when in fastboot mode with fastboot flash recovery twrp.img. You can enter fastboot mode from android (advanced reboot menu), from TWRP itself (reboot->bootloader) or the hard way when device is turned off (holding vol + while inserting USB).
I tried the Vol - and power but it only shows the Lineage Version (18.1 (20210719))
You tried it while device was turned on? For this key combo bringing you into the recovery mode you need to power off the device first.

fiddler21

Oct 14, 2021
Settings->System->Gestures->Power-menu->Advanced Restart (or simply search for advanced restart (erweiterter Neustart) in settings.)

Please enter the TWRP and report its version. It should be 3.4.0-1. The version is printed in the TWRP main menu at the top.
It's weird, but I don't see a TWRP version in that menu, only the Lineage version...
I'd guess your problem relates to an outdated TWRP version. If it should be older, please update it. You can flash the new TWRP when in fastboot mode with fastboot flash recovery twrp.img. You can enter fastboot mode from android (advanced reboot menu), from TWRP itself (reboot->bootloader) or the hard way when device is turned off (holding vol + while inserting USB).
The fastboot command doesn't work. In the shell it says:
unknown partition "filename.img"
fastboot: error: cannot determine image filename for "filename.img"

I tried z1ctwrp.img, recovery twrp.img and the original name from the source.
EDIT: sorry, my bad! "recovery" is part of the command. It worked now. But the update still doesn't work and I don't see a TWRP version in the recovery menu.
You tried it while device was turned on? For this key combo bringing you into the recovery mode you need to power off the device first.
No, no. I powered it off first. Entering the recovery mode works fine, but as I said, it doesn't show the TWRP version. I have attached a picture.

Attachments

• DSC_0731.JPG
    DSC_0731.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

115ek

Jan 30, 2017
It's weird, but I don't see a TWRP version in that menu, only the Lineage version...
No, that's not weird. Your picture explains it all.
I have attached a picture.
This is the lineage recovery, not the TWRP. It might work, but I never tested it. So I guess now you tested it ;)
Please flash the TWRP.
But the update still doesn't work and I don't see a TWRP version in the recovery menu.
If you don't see something like that:
Screenshot_2021-10-17-02-22-26.png

the lineage recovery is installed. The image above shows how TWRP looks like.

The reason for that is (most likely) that you enabled an option that updates/installs the lineage recovery (effectively replacing the TWRP) with every OTA update. This is (in our case) unwanted behaviour.
So the way to go now would be:
  1. Disable this option (somewhere under developer options I think. Maybe @MSe1969 could jump in here. Else I'll have another look in the evening.)
  2. Flash the TWRP
  3. Verify it is the TWRP
  4. Check updating again

Reactions: MSe1969

Beni777

Sep 27, 2021
i'm patched the boot.img with magisk 23 with twrp but the magisk app doesn't recognize it.. why? i tried with pc too but magisk app not recognize. My samsung phones work with magisk but z1c is not.

I use the latest october build but with beta is same too

tramp20

Jan 15, 2012
Rosenheim
i'm patched the boot.img with magisk 23 with twrp but the magisk app doesn't recognize it.
You should read my posting in Github:
User bleckdeth has made a simple patch at 16.03.2021.

It works perfect but you have to make it after every LOS Update because LOS overwrites the boot image :-(

Reactions: lm089 and MSe1969

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can dropp apps on android 12 with one finger this very good feature missing from android 11
    I have already explained in detail our approach in regards to coming (or not) to the next major Android release. This approach is for sure not influenced or accelerated by comments, strong desires or feature advertising in regards to the next Android version.
    This is my last comment on that topic, we will from now on ignore any further comments or statements pointing to the next Android release!
    New builds with November 2021 ASB patches

Hi all,
    new builds with the Octrober '21 ASB patches are available and should be offered already as OTA update through the Updater app:

• Security String 2021-11-05
    • System Webview on 95.0.4638.50

• Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 94.0.4606.109

Happy flashing, regards, M.
    Thanks for the update, I updated via mobile update app and works perfectly... I waiting for android 12 very much because lot of samsung phone have android 12 (lineage os 19) now and very COOL

Lot of new functions like one handed mode, new style ... etc
    Z1c is one hand mode by design. :)

Be happy a phone from january 2014 that came with Android 4.3 is even supported with security updates by anyone.
    open/unpack the Magisk-v23.0.apk
    Please use the latest Magisk canary 23015 from
    Canary . topjohnwu/magisk-files/tree/canary
    osm0sis has made a universal patch (based on bleckdeth) and included it in the canaries since 23013 (and I have tested all this until all bugs were solved).

Now Magisk installation works as easy as with 20.4.

I am sure you know how to proceed this first time:
    1. Restore magisk app (manager) to the original name.
    2. Uninstall Magisk complete.
    3. Flash the boot.img from your LOS 18.1 with fastboot.
    4. Install in TWRP the canary app-debug_23015.zip (rename the .apk to .zip)

The canary does no longer have a hide list but uses now zygisk with a deny list. This almost the same in my eyes.
    If you really need the hide list then you should use the alpha version of Magisk:
    vvb2060/magisk_files at alpha
    The alpha build has hide zygist.
    Both versions are held synchron from tjw and vvb2060.

If you uses edxposed: this is outdated. You have to install now lsposed:
    for Magisk canary (zygist): https://t.me/s/LSPosedArchives

General Magisk thread:
    Thank guys this fastboot driver works perfectly!

This thread aims at providing LineageOS 18.1 builds for the Sony Xperia Z1 compact with current security patches.
    You can consider this thread as a successor of our LineageOS 17.1 thread, where you may also find some useful information.
    This is the joint effort of 115ek and MSe1969 (contributions welcome).

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you. Hard & a lot.
    */

We offer two build variants:
    A. Standard LineageOS 18.1 build
    This build flavor aims at providing LineageOS 18.1 "as is" with most recent security patches.
    If you want to install Google Apps (GApps) you have to use this build variant.
    You could install additional Google Apps if you want to. This has to be done directly after the lineage installation BEFORE the first boot.
    The smaller the package, the better in terms of performance. (None is of course the most performant). If you want "Okay google" support you need at least nano. Else I'd recommend pico.

Downloads:
    OpenGapps
    BitGapps
    MindTheGapps (mirror)

For the security/privacy focused (more details about below feature list, see here)
    • Pre-installed microG and F-Droid same as the LineageOS for microG project
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore
    • eSpeak TTS engine (FOSS TTS solution)
    • Bromite as default browser
    • Additional security hardening features listed below
    • Cloudflare as default fallback DNS (instead of Google)
    • Privacy-preferred default settings
    • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking (Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Optional disable captive portal detection or choose from various providers (default is GrapheneOS and not Google; Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Increased max. password length of 64
    • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google/Sony when GPS is in use
    • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView
    • Extra control of sensor access for additionally installed user apps (Special access under app permissions)
    • Firewall (control internet access per app - under Trust)
    • Constified JNI method tables

Status
    List template by AdrianDC
    Code:
    - Boot : Ok
    - Partitions (Data, Cache) : Ext4 and F2FS supported
    - Bluetooth : Ok but MAC address is not correctly set (random address)
    - WiFi : Ok
    - WiFi Hotspot : Ok
    - RIL - Phone - Data : Ok
    - GPS : Ok
    - Camera : Ok
    - Camcorder : Ok
    - Lights : Ok
    - MicroSD : Ok
    - Accelerometer : Ok
    - Compass : Ok
    - Gyroscope : Ok
    - Touchscreen : Ok
    - FM Radio : Ok
    - ANT+ : broken
    - Vibrator : Ok
    - Microphone : Ok
    - Audio & music : Ok
    - Bluetooth audio : Ok
    - MHL: broken
    - NFC : Ok
    - Kernel : Ok
    - Graphics : Ok
    - 3D Rendering : Ok
    - Clock : Ok
    - Offline Charging : Ok
    - USB : Ok
    - USB OTG : Ok
    - Encryption : ?
    - SEPolicies : enforcing
    - DRM: Ok, Widevine L3
    Limitations
    Following limitations are known:
    • NFC-HCE does not work (needed for example for google pay)
    • FM does not work in stereo mode (mono works fine, though)
    • MHL does not work
    • ANT+ does not work
    Download
    FAQ
    What recovery system to use?
    Please use this TWRP if you want to use OTA updates and/or encryption.

What about root access?
    Root isn't included per default (except root over adb, but it's off by default).
    If you want to gain root access to your apps use magisk (everything > 20.4 is broken):
    ANT+ isn't working?
    You need the 2 apps:

afterwards setting proper permissions is essential!
    1. Go to Apps & Notifications -> See All Apps
    2. Select 'ANT Radio Service'
    3. Select Permissions
    4. Select Additional permissions
    5. Slide switch to allow using of ANT hardware
    This refers to those instructions which worked for me :)
    I've got problems AND have magisk/exposed installed
    We won't support anything related to magisk/exposed/other heavily system modifying things.
    If you're encountering problems please make sure you're using a clean installation (at most gapps) to verify/reproduce the issue.

Bugreports
    You'll find information about logging here.
    Please also note how you got the error or how it can be reproduced.
    Sources
    Credits
    • SpiritCroc: big thanks to him for maintaining the device trees and a lot of very useful hints
    • NeoArian: also big thanks to him ;)
    • rcstar6696
    • SuperLamic
    • drakonizer
    • AdrianDC
    • munjeni: thanks for tips and tricks
    • nailyk: thanks for tips and tricks
    • All the other contributors on sony msm8974 platform
    • LineageOS team

Installation instructions

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage OS 18.1 for Xperia Z1 compact - amami, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Contributors

115ek, MSe1969, SpiritCroc, NeoArian, drakonizer, rcstar6696, SuperLamic, AdrianDC, nailyk, LineageOS team
    Source Code: https://github.com/lin18-microg/local_manifests

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information
    Stable
    Stable Release Date: 2021-10-14

Created 2020-12-06
    Last Updated 2021-11-14
    You can dropp apps on android 12 with one finger this very good feature missing from android 11
    I have already explained in detail our approach in regards to coming (or not) to the next major Android release. This approach is for sure not influenced or accelerated by comments, strong desires or feature advertising in regards to the next Android version.
    This is my last comment on that topic, we will from now on ignore any further comments or statements pointing to the next Android release!
    New builds with November 2021 ASB patches

Hi all,
    new builds with the Octrober '21 ASB patches are available and should be offered already as OTA update through the Updater app:

• System Webview on 95.0.4638.50

• Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 94.0.4606.109

Happy flashing, regards, M.
    you are a rude person, be a little kind.
    This is completely ridiculous. OP is sacrificing his free time to the community not only by maintaining the ROMs, but also answering SERIOUS questions as accurately as it's possible, yet you're calling him rude even though the 1st post contains the answer for your question, as he said.
    I found some time again.
    Please report if the OTA update is working properly.

• fixed wifi MAC address readout
    • synced LineageOS sources (security patch level May 05, 2021)