[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][11][EAS][SM-T820][SM-T825][2022-05-08] HavocOS 4.16 for Galaxy Tab S3

Search This thread
Code:
/*
* Your warranty will be VOID after installing a custom ROM.
* Get notified yourself that I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
* Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it!
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications,
* and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device,
* I will laugh at you.
*/

# HavocOS

Havoc-OS is an after-market firmware based on Android Open Source Project, inspired by Google Pixel with a refined Material Design 2 UI. We offer a smooth and stable experience for your device with a selected set of amazing features that provide an exceptional user experience.

# What's working
  • Display/Touchscreen
    • LiveDisplay
  • Audio playback
    • Quad speakers
    • Headphone/Headset
    • Bluetooth audio
  • Video playback
    • HDR
  • Camera
  • Microphone
  • Sensors
  • Fingerprint sensor
  • GPS
  • LTE (SM-T825)
  • WiFi
  • WiFi display
  • Hotspot
  • Bluetooth
  • DRM
    • Widevine L1
  • USB ADB/MTP/OTG
  • Samsung Doze
  • S-Pen
    • Palm rejection
  • SD Card
  • Power-off mode charging

# What's not working
  • Some HavocOS features like AppLock
  • Fast charging
  • SELinux permissive
  • Hardware encryption
  • Please see the "Known issues" part of this post

# Downloads

## HavocOS 4

## Google Apps

## TWRP Recovery

# How to install
  1. Unlock the bootloader.
  2. Download TWRP and flash the recovery image via Odin.
  3. Download HavocOS 4 for Galaxy Tab S3.
    • Be aware of the board name.
  4. Download GAPPS for Android 11 and the others you want to flash.
    • Only OpenGApps is tested. (open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210130-TEST.zip)
  5. Enter TWRP recovery.
    • The first boot to TWRP might be very slow because of the unmatched file systems.
  6. Format the whole system, data, cache partitions using the format menu.
    • You will type `yes` to do that.
  7. Flash the images.
    • If you're going to install GApps or something, you have to install the LineageOS first.
  8. Reboot the system.
  9. Done.

# Known issues
  • Follows it might have the same issues on my LineageOS 18.1
  • Thank all of you for the feedback

# Sources

# Telegram Groups
  • If you are interested in developing this potential machine, please tell me through PM then I will send you the invitation link.
  • If you need a general discussion channel for this potential machine or want to share the news of its Android projects from anyone to everyone, you can join our discussion group chat.

# Buy me a coffee

# Credits / Special thanks to
  • Android Open Source Project
  • LineageOS Team
  • HavocOS Team
  • @Valera1978 for his amazing previous work including his MSM8996 kernel
  • @supermike86 and @samsuffit for testing LineageOS 18.1 for T820, which is I don't have one
  • @bmwdroid and @cherepanov for confirming the LTE works
  • @sebmue for letting me know that the useful information for palm rejection, and @ghostwheel for sharing its working source codes on Android 9
  • @switchgott for helping me in the development discussion and creating Telegram groups
  • All from our Telegram discussion channel, @EonOfBlack , Sands, David Becker, ...
  • @LuK1337 for giving me a hint to fix the quad-speakers.

Last edited:
## Changelogs
  • 2022. 5. 8
    • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, April 5, 2022
    • gts3l-common: Updated to HavocOS 4.16
    • The other changed things are the same as the LineageOS 18.1 (2022. 5. 8)
  • 2022. 2. 23
    • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, February 5, 2022
    • gts3l-common: Updated to HavocOS 4.14
    • The other changed things are the same as the LineageOS 18.1 (2022. 2. 23)
  • 2022. 2. 9
    • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, January 5, 2022
    • gts3l-common: Updated to HavocOS 4.13
    • The other changed things are the same as the LineageOS 18.1 (2022. 2. 9)
  • 2021. 12. 19
    • Initial release

## Good to know

Last edited:

xpil

Nov 14, 2016
I have installed the lineage OS 18.1 ROM recently. Can I dirty flash this one or I have to format everything and loose root and all the applications I have installed?

I have installed the lineage OS 18.1 ROM recently. Can I dirty flash this one or I have to format everything and loose root and all the applications I have installed?

You should format everything to move to another ROM. It is strongly recommended, and we don't know what problem will be caused by dirty flashing from LineageOS to HavocOS.

Reactions: KL643

Stogie87

Oct 3, 2015
Berlin
OnePlus 9 Pro
I did a dirty flash from latest LOS 18.1 to Havoc since it has the same LOS base and i had no issues so far.
But i idk how it will be for you. Only thing i did was formating system partition in TWRP before i flashed Havoc.
But try it on your own risk.

ptwilliams

May 27, 2007
I was literally about to trade in my Tab S3 as it was on its last legs. Slow to do anything other than browse and even that was painful.

Having read these forums for a long time I thought I'd give this a try before committing £600.

After a few hiccups with TWRP not seeming to 'stick' I finally managed it.

What a difference! Its seriously like a new machine.

Fast, responsive and up to date.

Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Reactions: KL643

KL643

May 28, 2009
@40000ft
I was literally about to trade in my Tab S3 as it was on its last legs. Slow to do anything other than browse and even that was painful.

Having read these forums for a long time I thought I'd give this a try before committing £600.

After a few hiccups with TWRP not seeming to 'stick' I finally managed it.

What a difference! Its seriously like a new machine.

Fast, responsive and up to date.

Thank you so much for all your hard work.
I was exactly at the same point.. The difference is night and day! Great work from the Dev! Donation on the way :)

kream21

May 22, 2013
Thanks for the hard work! This rom is awesome! I gave up on this tablet due to lack of support. I feel like you made this a true ipad contender!

Reactions: sebmue

xpil

Nov 14, 2016
Dear all. I have a question and if someone knows please help. I installed yesterday viper4android via magisk. Even though I played with all its parameters I could NOT notice any changes in the sound of the speakers. I CAN'T understand why.

prubyholl

Dec 13, 2017
Liverpool
Dear all, I have tried the steps to flash the HAVOC rom but facing an error. My tab (825) is correctly unlocked and the right recovery flashed. It can boot successfully to the recovery, however I see the error E: failed to verify whole-file signature. With other ROMs I flash, I am able to skip the signature verification prompt which does not appear here.

Please help me out if you can.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• romrom.jpg
    romrom.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
Jan 30, 2019
Dear all, I have tried the steps to flash the HAVOC rom but facing an error. My tab (825) is correctly unlocked and the right recovery flashed. It can boot successfully to the recovery, however I see the error E: failed to verify whole-file signature. With other ROMs I flash, I am able to skip the signature verification prompt which does not appear here.

Please help me out if you can.

Thanks all.
You need to install TWRP to install custom rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

I uploaded the update for HavocOS. Now, we're using HavocOS 4.16.
    The overall changelogs will be the same as the LineageOS 18.1 I wrote in this forum too.

Check the update, thanks. :)
    Hello all,

The overall changelogs will be the same as the LineageOS 18.1 I wrote in this forum too.

Hello, thank you so much again for reviving this device with features that I'd never even imagine would work like the quad speaker, palm rejection with full spen support , HDR and... (just look how many people tried even with older android versions and couldn't get one of these features to work).
    I've just updated to the new version, so my feedback is specific up to this update. The overall smoothness and functionality for a daily driver is almost perfect (for my t825). Even niche features like USB DAC passthrough which is buggy even on some stock roms, work flawlessly. The overall performance is near identical to modern devices if you don't install gapps and make do with alternatives like Aurora store. This might be a mistake on my part though but i fiddled with it a lot but in all cases, various background GMS components constantly throw random unspecific exceptions and loop around and cause significant overhead. This again might be specific to my setup or regional stupid Google stuff.
    The only other issue with this is that fast charging doesn't always work, and that might actually be a blessing in disguise since the device is fairly old and battery will degrade much faster if you constantly use fast charge. If it doesn't work though a quick reboot might change that.
    Regarding performance and battery, it's without exaggeration a different beast than the latest stock rom or custom ones by other Devs. Awesometic projects for this device (haven't tested the A12 one yet) are all awesome and i find havoc os to be better for my preferences in comparison to LOS.
    Battery life is way better for me at least since last update.
    I mostly use "Xodo" to study and annotate pdf books. It's really good and smooth. Recently sometimes i experience some glitches and hangups when I'm writing with the spen in xodo like it misses chars and catches up suddenly or kind of hangs up momentarily. This issue was not present till recent Xodo/rom updates so i can't isolate it if anyone knows of the cause I'd appreciate some guidance.

There are a few suggestions/questions i have which if you find the time to answer me I'd greatly appreciate it

1- which partitions (using your twrp) can be f2fs for this rom other than cache? I imagine using f2fs would help a bit since this device has a mediocre amount of ram and would swap a lot.

2- can the "memory extention" feature as in devices with MIUI be implemented to help with multi-tasking with this device? Would it even make sense for this SoC? (it's already way better than stock, i can run neutron in the background and annotate multiple books and take notes but if you us browser as well, it kind of overwhelms it.)

3- should i not be able to access sd card in file manager after i use "format as internal storage"? It doesn't show up in any file manager and you can only move certain apps to sd card. This is weirdly annoying and i looked it up and it isn't clear what's happening? Is it some sort of raid storage or is it only reserved for appdata? What good would that be since you'd essentially be able to so the same with the portable format? Plus can it be formated again with the flash friendly f2fs file system? (in either config).

Thank you so much again for your time and effort.
    I urge anyone that's considering it to give this Dev's roms a try and if you can, donate for his unparalleled efforts and skill.
    Wish you all the best
    Sh
    1- which partitions (using your twrp) can be f2fs for this rom other than cache? I imagine using f2fs would help a bit since this device has a mediocre amount of ram and would swap a lot.

2- can the "memory extention" feature as in devices with MIUI be implemented to help with multi-tasking with this device? Would it even make sense for this SoC? (it's already way better than stock, i can run neutron in the background and annotate multiple books and take notes but if you us browser as well, it kind of overwhelms it.)

3- should i not be able to access sd card in file manager after i use "format as internal storage"? It doesn't show up in any file manager and you can only move certain apps to sd card. This is weirdly annoying and i looked it up and it isn't clear what's happening? Is it some sort of raid storage or is it only reserved for appdata? What good would that be since you'd essentially be able to so the same with the portable format? Plus can it be formated again with the flash friendly f2fs file system? (in either config).

Thank you so much again for your time and effort.
    I urge anyone that's considering it to give this Dev's roms a try and if you can, donate for his unparalleled efforts and skill.
    Wish you all the best
    Sh

Thank you for your detailed review of this ROM. :)

You can format data and cache partitions to F2FS. This could increase its performance but it also comes with less stability than using the EXT4 file system.

I don't know if there is an open-sourced code for the memory extension feature. But even if there it is, I think that it would be not good for our device since our device uses eMMC for its main storage which is not that solid for numerous uses. It can be broken easily compared to UFS that most devices use these days.
    Instead, we are using ZRAM and ZSWAP to secure more memory space and I set it to get 2 Gbytes more at maximum.

Have you checked that option in the Settings app too? I think I saw that message when I insert a SD card in its slot. By default, I think it should be portable storage so that you can manage the files on your SD card. I didn't try to format the SD card to F2FS, it may work since our kernel supports that, but I don't sure.
    Thank you soooooo much for updating this device and keeping it alive!!!!! It has kept me away from buying an Ipad Pro!!
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty will be VOID after installing a custom ROM.
    * Get notified yourself that I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications,
    * and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device,
    * I will laugh at you.
    */

# HavocOS

Havoc-OS is an after-market firmware based on Android Open Source Project, inspired by Google Pixel with a refined Material Design 2 UI. We offer a smooth and stable experience for your device with a selected set of amazing features that provide an exceptional user experience.

# What's working
    • Display/Touchscreen
      • LiveDisplay
    • Audio playback
      • Quad speakers
      • Headphone/Headset
      • Bluetooth audio
    • Video playback
      • HDR
    • Camera
    • Microphone
    • Sensors
    • Fingerprint sensor
    • GPS
    • LTE (SM-T825)
    • WiFi
    • WiFi display
    • Hotspot
    • Bluetooth
    • DRM
      • Widevine L1
    • USB ADB/MTP/OTG
    • Samsung Doze
    • S-Pen
      • Palm rejection
    • SD Card
    • Power-off mode charging

# What's not working
    • Some HavocOS features like AppLock
    • Fast charging
    • SELinux permissive
    • Hardware encryption
    • Please see the "Known issues" part of this post

# Downloads

## HavocOS 4

## Google Apps

## TWRP Recovery

# How to install
    1. Unlock the bootloader.
    2. Download TWRP and flash the recovery image via Odin.
    3. Download HavocOS 4 for Galaxy Tab S3.
      • Be aware of the board name.
    4. Download GAPPS for Android 11 and the others you want to flash.
      • Only OpenGApps is tested. (open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210130-TEST.zip)
    5. Enter TWRP recovery.
      • The first boot to TWRP might be very slow because of the unmatched file systems.
    6. Format the whole system, data, cache partitions using the format menu.
      • You will type `yes` to do that.
    7. Flash the images.
      • If you're going to install GApps or something, you have to install the LineageOS first.
    8. Reboot the system.
    9. Done.

# Known issues
    • Follows it might have the same issues on my LineageOS 18.1
    • Thank all of you for the feedback

# Sources

# Telegram Groups
    • If you are interested in developing this potential machine, please tell me through PM then I will send you the invitation link.
    • If you need a general discussion channel for this potential machine or want to share the news of its Android projects from anyone to everyone, you can join our discussion group chat.

# Buy me a coffee

# Credits / Special thanks to
    • Android Open Source Project
    • LineageOS Team
    • HavocOS Team
    • @Valera1978 for his amazing previous work including his MSM8996 kernel
    • @supermike86 and @samsuffit for testing LineageOS 18.1 for T820, which is I don't have one
    • @bmwdroid and @cherepanov for confirming the LTE works
    • @sebmue for letting me know that the useful information for palm rejection, and @ghostwheel for sharing its working source codes on Android 9
    • @switchgott for helping me in the development discussion and creating Telegram groups
    • All from our Telegram discussion channel, @EonOfBlack , Sands, David Becker, ...
    • @LuK1337 for giving me a hint to fix the quad-speakers.
    ## Changelogs
    • 2022. 5. 8
      • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, April 5, 2022
      • gts3l-common: Updated to HavocOS 4.16
      • The other changed things are the same as the LineageOS 18.1 (2022. 5. 8)
    • 2022. 2. 23
      • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, February 5, 2022
      • gts3l-common: Updated to HavocOS 4.14
      • The other changed things are the same as the LineageOS 18.1 (2022. 2. 23)
    • 2022. 2. 9
      • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, January 5, 2022
      • gts3l-common: Updated to HavocOS 4.13
      • The other changed things are the same as the LineageOS 18.1 (2022. 2. 9)
    • 2021. 12. 19
      • Initial release

## Good to know
    Hello all,

Hello,

I uploaded the new version for HavocOS and LineageOS. Please visit my LineageOS thread to check the changes.

Edit3: haptic vibration setting does not seem to work. Whatever I choose light, medium or high, the result is the same.
    Thank you for the feedback. And that part, actually I feel like it doesn't work like you. I will remove that feature in the coming version.

Thank you so much for releasing this; I think my S3 tab might have some life left in it now. I have two questions:
    1. Would it be correct that you are not planning on implementing a SafetyNet fix such as https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix and the best thing to do is install Magisk and install this module even if we don't need root?
    2. I see that you just fixed the fingerprint reader not working in 3rd-party apps (bank apps, password managers, etc.) in your Lineage S3 tab release. Will that fix be coming to this ROM? Or is there an easy workaround we can implement to get it working in apps?
    Thank you again for your work on this. VERY much appreciated.
    To fix the SafetyNet without root, we need SELinux enforcing as far as I know. And this part is so hard for me yet 😅
    And every change is applied to the HavocOS. Those two ROMs share the same device tree.
    I found a solution for the Netflix issue!

Before flashing LOS and HavocOS I had a modded version of stock installed. Possibly bootloader or other parts were not the latest version. So I flashed the last version of the stock ROM for my region via Odin and then reflashed TWRP, the Rom, gapps, Magisk as outlined above. Now Netflix is working without issues. :)
    So for anyone else coming from a ROM that's not completely stock (or possibly also from an older stock ROM?) and running into issues with Netflix or other apps, this may be worth a shot.