[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][11][EAS][SM-T820][SM-T825][2022-05-08] LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy Tab S3

Search This thread

xpil

Nov 14, 2016
@xpil thanks for the info.
As I use OTG perhaps twice a year I will not test this cmd.
Prefering trouble-free WiFi.
Sorry if I mislead you. If you used the approach I have mentioned, then wifi works perfectly as long as you do not use otg at the same time. So, in your case you will have problems with wifi ONLY the two times per year you use the OTG. The rest of the year WiFi will be trouble free.....

Reactions: bmwdroid
Sorry if I mislead you. If you used the approach I have mentioned, then wifi works perfectly as long as you do not use otg at the same time. So, in your case you will have problems with wifi ONLY the two times per year you use the OTG. The rest of the year WiFi will be trouble free.....
Thanks.
Perhaps I misunderstood you.

Thank you so much
My tablet t820 was restarting randomly and now after flashing it's stable and so fast
I flashed without any gapps
I just have one problem that when I make a hotspot from my mobile the tablet connect but always giving me no internet
Is there a fix? Should I flash gapps?
Thank again
Edit 1: I flashed micro gapps => got stuck at boot animation
*fixed* Edit 2: wiped system cash data and then reflashed just the LineagesOS and then the wifi connected and was all good
Edit 3: the tablet speakers volume is low ... Airbuds and Bluetooth speakers are fine
*fixed* Edit 4: I noticed that I get so much better volume if I turned off the Audio FX
Edit 5: the tablet reboot whenever I use something that had to do with google play services

Last edited:

sebvalmont

Nov 18, 2014
After updating to 2021. 12. 19 I am having two problems:
1) my battery consumption is considerably higher.
2) i have to wipe dalvik cache everytime I want to use HBO Max

In addition, the camera is green/blue on Zoom. But it was happening since the previous versions.

I forgot to say that I wiped everything (including data) prior to installation and I flashed Gapps Nano.

sebvalmont

Nov 18, 2014
After updating to 2021. 12. 19 I am having two problems:
1) my battery consumption is considerably higher.
2) i have to wipe dalvik cache everytime I want to use HBO Max

In addition, the camera is green/blue on Zoom. But it was happening since the previous versions.

I forgot to say that I wiped everything (including data) prior to installation and I flashed Gapps Nano.
My unit is T825.

mich3lam

Jan 14, 2013
I cannot thank you enough for this... I have been losing patience with this tablet and haven't been using it because it was getting slow and now it's all smooth and working again, thank you!

wanted to ask regarding the camera, I've read the first post and from what I understand it was recently fixed and the camera app is fine but is very weird on Zoom, also seen it's known issue, any idea for workaround?

Thank you again!

LedgendaryEpics

Jun 14, 2018
I cannot thank you enough for this... I have been losing patience with this tablet and haven't been using it because it was getting slow and now it's all smooth and working again, thank you!

wanted to ask regarding the camera, I've read the first post and from what I understand it was recently fixed and the camera app is fine but is very weird on Zoom, also seen it's known issue, any idea for workaround?

Thank you again!
There used to be a gcam variant that worked for this device, I'll look into it

franzli

Mar 15, 2010
Hello.

I uploaded the new LineageOS 18.1 release with lots of improvements.

Now we're using the EAS kernel, so I changed the default CPU governor to schedutil.
And I fixed flip cover working, and fixed aptX/aptX HD codec on Bluetooth media playback, and also fixed WiFi display.

But there may be some existing issues still remain like the camera preview issue on Zoom app, supporting the PS4 controller, and so on. 😅

Enjoy, and let me know if there's an issue. :)

Finally got around to trying this a week or two ago and I'm really impressed - Wifi Display seems to work stable, which is great!
Only thing I noticed concerning WiFi Display is that an app like Squid, which I use for presentations, doesn't seem to be able to use presenter mode, where the projected display just shows the drawing canvas (or pdf for that matter) without the drawing tools and Android status bar etc.
It shows the extra button in the UI showing that detects the possibility for screen share, but it remains on the default 1:1 screen share. On the Stock ROM this function worked, but it may also just be a general restriction of LOS. I think it should work well enough as it is, just mentioning this in case an easy fix comes to mind.

The only other drawback I found was that I couldn't get Netflix to run. Tried with Magisk (both an older version that still had Magisk Hide and the newer versions with zygote) and various types of Netflix apks and all of them give me this "couldn't connect to Netflix" error (sometimes with different error codes depending on the app version). If anyone's can share the steps for a workable setup that would be great! (Amazon Prime app is running fine by the way, but they probably check in different ways.)

Hello all.

I really appreciate you all for having interesting in this LineageOS and HavocOS.
And I'm sorry for the late reply these days.
I couldn't actively maintain it because I have been having busy days recently.

I know there are lots of major issues, as you all gave me feedback thankfully,
But I'd like to solve some things first.

Hopefully, what I'd like to resolve are
1. Merging AOSP kernel patches: This may resolve some unstable behavior
2. LineageOS 19: I can build LOS 19 image but it doesn't run at all. Maybe it needs some more patches from the LineageOS team.
While I'm working on these jobs I might solve some known issues too if lucky.

I'm watching this thread (the HavocOS thread too of course), and reading all your comments.
Thank you for the encouraging words and feedback.

roesja

Mar 21, 2011
Still using this rom as my daily driver! Excellent performance and battery usage! Thanks again!

At the moment I have encountered two issues:
1. The samsung keyboard cover seems to have the arrow keys rotated; not sure how to solve this
2. Fingerprint reader doesn't work in 3rd party apps (Like keepass2android); (Biometric hardware not detected)

Hello all.

I uploaded the new versions for LineageOS 18.1 and HavocOS 4.13.
Those two versions are synced with the latest Android sources respectively, and it comes with the Android security patch by Jan. 5, 2022.
I found another latest firmware of our Galaxy Tab S3 in Brazil variant. This is called T825UBU3CUF1, and it was released in July 2021. Unfortunately, this hasn't a driver update in Adreno and some other things but seems like it has some fixes for the bugs it has before. I applied the new blobs to my ROMs and on my side, it works just fine and there is no new bug for me.
This firmware is for T825 but my co-workers in the Telegram room confirmed it also works on T820. Thanks all for the test. :)

And I fixed the fingerprint working on a third-party app. I tested this feature with AppLocker from Playstore.
Also, I tuned a property value for the schedutil governor that is currently we are using. It reduces reactivity theoretically, but it is still smooth and usable.

For my usage, if you are using a Kernel Adiutor app then I recommend down-clock the big core to 2 GHz.
This presents us better battery and thermal but brings no bothering lag as before.
Enjoy, and sorry for not solving the other issues yet. :)

castoruser

Apr 8, 2021
Hello @Awesometic ;

thanks for your great work on this tablet.

I tried to build myself and got always this error with the kernel by round about 41%:
Code:
[QUOTE]
FIPS with KALSR : Generating hmac of crypto and update vmlinux...
clang-11: error: unable to execute command: Executable "ld" doesn't exist!
clang-11: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocatio
n)
[/QUOTE]
/lineageos181/android/lineage/kernel
/samsung/msm8996“ will leave
Do you know what is the Problem?

I tried to find myself, but I didn`t find anything.

thanks for your support.

greets Castoruser

franzli

Mar 15, 2010
Hello @Awesometic ;

I tried to build myself and got always this error with the kernel by round about 41%:

thanks for your support.

greets Castoruser
Hi, I haven't tried building this myself yet, but did you check whether you have a programme called ld installed? According to the error message that seems to be missing.

castoruser

Apr 8, 2021
What is ld? I've searched and nothing found...
I have build in the past other builds e.g. castor or n1awifi no errors

Hello @Awesometic ;

thanks for your support.

greets Castoruser

There are several ways to fix that problem. My choice is to create a symlink for that lld file to trick the compiler.

Please refer to this patch: https://github.com/awesometic/andro...mmit/780bb8553ce2ab051bc721186fcb4a29809a8d38

castoruser

Apr 8, 2021
I copied the two files inside the Folder......executed, but the same error....I have to check this later

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

I updated LineageOS and HavocOS and uploaded them to the forum.
    In this update, besides the latest Android sources, I added some more fixes including the fingerprint recognition issue.

Please check the update changelogs, thanks. :)
    @Awesometic thx for the info and your time for our device but even with the existing bugs I'll keep my T825 on your LOS19.1.

I do have a plan to fix the major bugs on my LOS 19.1, I hope I can fix them soon. 😅
    Hello all,

I updated LineageOS and HavocOS and uploaded them to the forum.
    In this update, besides the latest Android sources, I added some more fixes including the fingerprint recognition issue.

Please check the update changelogs, thanks. :)
    Thanks for the update! My wifi tab s3 was having black screens after trying to unlock the screen from sleep on the previous version. Seems to be fixed now.
    Thanks you so much.
    I made an update via TWRP, straight flashed without any wipe.
    Everything is working fine, before the update I had sometimes that black screen after fingerprint reading, now after a few days that failure is away.
    I've been running this ROM on my Tab S3 for well over 6 months (and of course updating as soon as a new version is released) and I have to say I'm quite impressed! I do have some bugs every once and a while but nothing a simple reboot doesn't fix! I greatly appreciate the work you've put into this! :)
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty will be VOID after installing a custom ROM.
    * Get notified yourself that I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications,
    * and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device,
    * I will laugh at you.
    */

# LineageOS

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

# What's working
    • Display/Touchscreen
      • LiveDisplay
    • Audio playback
      • Quad speakers
      • Headphone/Headset
      • Bluetooth audio
    • Video playback
      • HDR
    • Camera
    • Microphone
    • Sensors
    • Fingerprint sensor
    • GPS
    • LTE (SM-T825)
    • WiFi
    • WiFi display
    • Hotspot
    • Bluetooth
    • DRM
      • Widevine L1
    • USB ADB/MTP/OTG
    • Samsung Doze
    • S-Pen
      • Palm rejection
    • SD Card
    • Power-off mode charging

# What's not working
    • Fast charging
    • SELinux permissive
    • Hardware encryption
    • Please see the "Known issues" part of this post

# Downloads

## LineageOS 18.1

## Google Apps

## TWRP Recovery

# How to install
    1. Unlock the bootloader.
    2. Download TWRP and flash the recovery image via Odin.
    3. Download LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy Tab S3.
      • Be aware of the board name.
    4. Download GAPPS for Android 11 and the others you want to flash.
      • Only OpenGApps is tested. (open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210130-TEST.zip)
    5. Enter TWRP recovery.
      • The first boot to TWRP might be very slow because of the unmatched file systems.
    6. Format the whole system, data, cache partitions using the format menu.
      • You will type `yes` to do that.
    7. Flash the images.
      • If you're going to install GApps or something, you have to install the LineageOS first.
    8. Reboot the system.
    9. Done.

# Known issues
    • OTG drives may show nothing even if it mounted
    • The side button on S-Pen is working but you must use the proper application that can handle the button event
    • Fast-charging won't work properly, it sometimes works but most of the time it won't
    • Sometimes turning on the flashlight via the quick panel doesn't work after using a camera app
    • Using a camera app may cause reducing the UI performance on a launcher app
    • The tablet rarely reboots with a GMS related error
    • Unlocking the lock screen can make tablets not usable sometimes (black screen)
    • Thank all of you for the feedback

# Sources

# Telegram Groups
    • If you are interested in developing this potential machine, please tell me through PM then I will send you the invitation link.
    • If you need a general discussion channel for this potential machine or want to share the news of its Android projects from anyone to everyone, you can join our discussion group chat.

# Buy me a coffee

# Credits / Special thanks to
    • Android Open Source Project
    • LineageOS Team
    • @Valera1978 for his amazing previous work including his MSM8996 kernel
    • @supermike86 and @samsuffit for testing LineageOS 18.1 for T820, which is I don't have one
    • @bmwdroid and @cherepanov for confirming the LTE works
    • @sebmue for letting me know that the useful information for palm rejection, and @ghostwheel for sharing its working source codes on Android 9
    • @switchgott for helping me in the development discussion and creating Telegram groups
    • All from our Telegram discussion channel, @EonOfBlack , Sands, David Becker, ...
    • @LuK1337 for giving me a hint to fix the quad-speakers.
    Hi all,

Finally, I can take a picture with my Tab S3 :)

But still, there are some annoying bugs about the picture resolution, a flashlight behavior, ... but yeah it is usable when I take something using slightly lower resolution without the flashlight.

Also, for now, both the LOS camera app and Snap camera are not working well while Open Camera and Google Camera seem to be working well.

For now, the major problem is that if I use a flashlight in the camera app at least once, the overall GUI animations slow down even I closed the camera app.

So, when I publish the camera fixed version, at least I will fix this most bothering thing even though I can't fix it all for the camera.
    ## Changelogs
    • 2022. 5. 8
      • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, April 5, 2022
      • gts3l-common: Switched to use only the MDFPP Keymaster set
      • gts3l-common: Fixed the fingerprint sensor recognition issue on some third-party application
      • gts3l-common: Fixed the Vulkan not activated
      • gts3l-common: Updated awesometic's kernel to v0.9
        • Disabled CPU AutoSMP, as known as CPU auto hotplug
        • Improved stability
    • 2022. 3. 1
      • gts3l-common: Synced with the latest LineageOS source
      • gts3l-common: Fixed the broken hardware button settings
    • 2022. 2. 23
      • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, February 5, 2022
      • gts3l-common: Enabled triple buffering of SurfaceFlinger
      • gts3l-common: Enabled partitions on loop devices
      • gts3l-common: Implemented thermal HAL, so that we can get the correct temperature from each hardware components
      • gts3l-common: Changed default CPU governor to blu_schedutil
      • gts3l-common: Changed the schedutil properties
      • gts3l-common: Set the default GPU frequency level to 6, which is 133 MHz in idle
      • gts3l-common: Enabled msm_irqbalance, which is from oneplus3
      • gts3l-common: Updated blobs
        • Updated Adreno libraries to v415, which is from daisy firmware (Android 10)
        • Changed media blobs to daisy firmware (Android 10)
        • Changed perf, thermal libraries to oneplus3 one
      • gts3l-common: Reduces ROM size
        • Removed unused camera firmwares
        • Removed unused Samsung specific OMX libraries
      • gts3l-common: Updated awesometic's kernel to v0.8
        • Cherry-picked lots of common upstream patches from LineageOS kernels
        • Added support for WireGuard
      • gts3llte: Fixed ipacm binary working
    • 2022. 2. 9
      • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, January 5, 2022
      • gts3l-common: Fixed fingerprint working on a third-party app
      • gts3l-common: Updated built-in blobs to T825UBU3CUF1 by ZTO (from Brazil)
      • gts3l-common: Changed dynamic_stune_boost to 10 from 15
        • That value indicates a kind of reactivity of the CPU frequency of the schedutil governor. Generally, 10 to 20 is recommended, but in my test setting that 10 is enough to use the tablet smoothly and also can expect better battery and thermal.
    • 2021. 12. 19
      • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, December 5, 2021
      • gts3l-common: Fixed aptX, aptX HD working
      • gts3l-common: Fixed WiFi display working
      • gts3l-common: Fixed a download fail problem for some games
      • gts3l-common: Changed the default CPU governor to schedutil
      • gts3l-common: Changed the default I/O scheduler to bfq
      • gts3l-common: Added Dolby audio effect
        • Added that library successfully but don't sure it is working, will investigate that too
      • gts3l-common: Added FlipFlap package for better handling of flip cover flips
      • gts3l-common: Added software navigation bar feature
      • gts3l-common: Enabled ZRAM for 2GB for a 4GB device
      • gts3l-common: Updated awesometic's kernel to v0.6
        • Merged EAS-Project/msm-3.18 and successfully migrated to EAS based kernel
          • Enabled EAS, WALT, Schedtune, Schedutil, ...
        • Added blu_schedutil CPU governor
        • Updated sdfat driver to 2.4.5
        • Updated camera driver
        • Imported/enabled ZRAM with LZ4 compress
        • Imported/enabled BFQ I/O scheduler
        • Optimized memory performance
        • Fixed a flip cover working
        • Maybe more...
    • 2021. 11. 30
      • gts3l-common: Synced with the latest LIneageOS source
      • gts3l-common: Fixed Bluetooth input working including a Bluetooth keyboard
      • gts3l-common: Now it starts to use my custom kernel, awesometic's kernel v0.3
        • Merged android-linux-stable/msm-3.18, which is including up to Linux 3.14.140 patches
        • Merged LA.UM.7.6.r1-07800-89xx.0 CAF tag
        • Replaced the built-in WLAN driver into the CAF one from LA.UM.7.6.r1-07800-89xx.0 tag, which is the latest version
        • Disabled most of Samsung-specific flags including TIMA, KNOX, RESTRICT, ...
        • Enabled F2FS file system
        • Added AutoSMP CPU hotplug feature and enabled by default for better battery consumption
        • Added AdrenoBoost and enabled by default for better GPU performance
        • Added Anxiety I/O scheduler for better I/O performance
        • Enabled TCP Westwood congestion window control by default for better network stability
        • Set CONFIG_HZ to 300 which is recommended in Android devices and it improves overall interactivity and UX with no power cost
        • Now the S-Pen palm rejection is implemented in the kernel rather than the Android frameworks
        • Maybe more...
        • To get the detailed information, please see the third post of this thread
    • 2021. 11. 16
      • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, November 5, 2021
      • gts3l-common: Fixed the external keyboards' arrow keys working
    • 2021. 10. 29
      • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, October 5, 2021
    • 2021. 9. 22
      • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, September 5, 2021
      • gts3l-common: Fixed the power-off mode charging using the Samsung LPM binary
      • gts3l-common: Switched to QTI USB HAL, version 1.2
      • gts3l-common: Cleaned up the keyboard layouts and added the layouts from the latest firmware for Samsung products like the book cover keyboard
      • gts3l-common: Improved power management
    • 2021. 9. 1
      • gts3l-common: Fixed the camera working
      • gts3l-common: Resolved lots of SELinux warnings
      • gts3l-common: Added some props to optimize the video and media performance
      • gts3l-common: Added proper power profiles for better power management
      • gts3l-common: Added a proper thermal-engine config for better thermal management
      • gts3l-common: Change the hotspot location of the pointer arrow
    • 2021. 8. 13
      • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, August 5, 2021.
      • gts3l-common: Fixed the quad-speakers working.
      • gts3l-common: Disabled WiFi display feature.
      • gts3l-common: Added support for Adaptive Fast Charge.
      • gts3l-common: Added LiveDisplay HIDL to switch the screen modes.
      • gts3l-common: Added the button backlight control menu.
      • gts3l-common: Added the advanced reboot menu.
      • gts3l-common: Changed to the Light HIDL completely.
      • gts3l-common: Changed the stylus pointer icon to the smaller one.
    • 2021. 7. 29
      • gts3l-common: Fixed headphone jack working.
      • gts3l-common: Fixed Bluetooth audio playback working.
      • gts3l-common: Fixed microphone working.
      • gts3l-common: Fixed AudioFX working.
      • gts3l-common: Made hardware touch key, LCD, Touchscreen, S-Pen disabled when the screen turns off.
      • gts3l-common: Fixed DRM working.
      • gts3l-common: Disabled connecting to WPA3 WiFi.
      • gts3lwifi: Fixed Bluetooth working.
      • gts3lwifi: Fixed vibrator working.
    • 2021. 7. 14
      • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, July 5, 2021.
      • gts3l-common: Added support for palm rejection for S-Pen.
      • gts3l-common: Added support for the Freeform Window mode of AOSP.
      • gts3l-common: Removed the "Serial console enabled. Performance is impacted..." message.
    • 2021. 7. 4
      • gts3l-common: Changed the default DPI value to 320.
      • gts3l-common: Added new pointer arrow icon for S-Pen.
      • gts3l-common: Moved fingerprint sensor location when the preview screen that is before the actual enrollment a fingerprint.
      • gts3l-common: Enabled automatically brightness by default.
      • gts3l-common: Enabled adjusting haptic feedback intensity menu.
      • gts3llte: Fixed LTE working.
    • 2021. 6. 28
      • gts3l-common: Separated the device tree into 3 parts, common, LTE, and WiFi.
      • gts3l-common: Changed the default DPI value to 360.
      • gts3l-common: Fixed fingerprint sensor working.
      • gts3l-common: No more adsprpcd errors on the logcat.
      • gts3llte: Added missing RIL-related binaries, init scripts and could check the RIL initialized properly. But an error still repeated on the logcat so I think it won't work yet.
      • gts3lwifi: Added support for Galaxy Tab S3 WiFi variants.
    • 2021. 6. 17
      • Initial release
    Hello all.

I uploaded the new version, including fixing the power-off mode charging.
    I'm using the LPM binary that is from Samsung for the power-off mode charging. When you plug in the charging cable while the tablet turns off, you can see the original charging screen you might see in the stock firmware. :)

And I tried to fix the Bluetooth inputs and the OTG drives issues but I couldn't. I can reproduce these problems but I cannot find how to fix them for now. But I can confirm that the wired input devices are working such as a keyboard and a Playstation 4 controller.

Please check out the first post of this thread. :)
    Great news here. The next release will include the fully-working quad-speakers. :D
    And I also have implemented the audio rotation codes for the screen rotation.

Actually, I already have used it for about 3 days, and I think it looks working flawlessly.
    And, for the alternatives of the Dolby Atmos, I have tested with the Dolby Digital Plus module with Magisk and I can say that it is awesome. :cool:

The new release will be uploaded before this weekend. :)