[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Fire TV Stick Lite/3rd gen (sheldon/p)

Search This thread

xflbret

Mar 15, 2013
Tucson, AZ
If this has been covered before I missed it, so forgive me if duplicate...

I had a Firestick new in the box (not lite). I flashed it. All went well, How to I get my remote's power and volume buttons to control my TV? My instinct is to flash the FireOS, get the remote settled in, then reflash Lineage. But, I'm afraid as I'm setting up the Firestick in this proposed process that the FireOS would update to a version that negates the ability to flash Lineage. Please advise. Thanks.

xflbret

Mar 15, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I'm having another issue. I try to install Peacock, and it claims incompatible with my device...which is ironic to say the least, because once Lineage was settled and all installed, it was right in my face as a promotional thing to get a trail of it.

I know that the Peacock devs are amongst the horrible, bitter, awful people who inexplicably don't want their apps to work with a rooted system. But, I'm not sure that applies here because I didn't install magisk, and I even turned off dev tools in an attempt to get around this, but failed.

Any help on this one?

BTK19

Jan 25, 2021
EARTH
Amazon Fire TV
Nexus 6

I'm having another issue. I try to install Peacock, and it claims incompatible with my device...which is ironic to say the least, because once Lineage was settled and all installed, it was right in my face as a promotional thing to get a trail of it.

I know that the Peacock devs are amongst the horrible, bitter, awful people who inexplicably don't want their apps to work with a rooted system. But, I'm not sure that applies here because I didn't install magisk, and I even turned off dev tools in an attempt to get around this, but failed.

Any help on this one?
Pluto TV does the same thing

Reactions: bloot

dony71

Dec 1, 2010
guys,
anybody try to install telegram apps whether is working?
i try install successfully however app start in loop showing potrait and landscape mode alternately
i also try to install on fire tv stick with fire os 7.2.4 and no such issue
is there any work-around tweak setting in build.prop to force landscape mode ?

Scramble

Jan 20, 2005
Southampton
A couple of questions.......
Are there instructions somewhere on how to build the kernel and system from the sources in the 1st post?
Is anyone able to build a kernel for firestick sheldon with NFS/CIFS/SMB client support and post it here?

I wanted to add NFS/CIFS/SMB client support in the kernel so I tried to build the kernel myself.
To cut a very, very long story short, I cannot seem to be able to do this!
The ability to mount a network share as a place to read and write media seems mandatory to me for a device with no USB port.
Downloaded kernel source from link in 1st post. Android toolchain/bin in PATH. Copied `arch/arm/configs/sheldon_defconfig` to `.config`. Gone into menuconfig and added the support. Tried ARCH=arm and ARCH=arm64 because the cross compile prefix is `aarch64-linux-android-` even thought the defconfig file is not in the `arch/arm64/configs' folder so I have also tried `arm-linux-androideabi-`. No luck, giving up for now. Please advise.

anonxlg

Sep 3, 2011
How do you get into twrp?
I installed lineage+opengapps but i'm stuck on the google sign in screen. I'm guessing I shouldnt have installed gapps.
I want to get into twrp to factory reset (from the tv ui and not thru computer?)

-update-
so i used a mouse and caught the twrp 5 sec reboot screen and was able to get into twrp and do a reset and reinstall without gapps

booted into vanilla atv and it's so basic. So basic that I there's no file browser or anything, so even though I have otg and usb cable, I can't even install any apks (i found storage buried in the setting menu somewhere but it only gave me an option to format it). I'm lost as to how i'm suppose to use this? I can't find any for the 'normal' settings (no wireless adb? no other normal settings?).

I plugged it back into fireiso linux live usb and it doesnt fastboot/adb anymore. It's doing something because i get a 'AFTSS' half shaded icon appearing on the desktop when I plug it in.

-update again-
i figured out some of the settings and twrp, but I'm still stuck because I can't install any apps. I can't install apks via adb install command for some reason; it get error 'Performing Streamed Install'

Last edited:

Scramble

Jan 20, 2005
Southampton
@anonxlg,
Can you adb shell when firestick booted normally?
Don't think you can install apps when connected in TWRP adb, you can only install a zip (technically you can install an app in twrp. You copy the apk to /data/app or /system/app/ from your thumb drive and set permission to 644).
No need for for TWRP or USB cable to install apps once rom is installed, you can connect over WiFi. Enable developer options and enable USB debugging and Rooted debugging in the menu. Then get ip address from WiFi settings. Now `adb connect ipaddress:5555` on your PC to connect adb over network.
Do `adb shell` 1st and accept authorization then exit. Now try to adb install your app. Alternatively `adb push app.apk /sdcard/` then in adb shell `pm install /sdcard/app.apk`. A very firestick friendly and capable file explorer IMO is MiXplorer.

Reactions: BTK19

anonxlg

Sep 3, 2011
I was able to exactly that.
No clue why I wasnt able to adb install it in fireiso again, but happy it's working now.

Newpipe 720/1080p60 lags for me.

ryanrudolf

Nov 12, 2012
hello everyone. im a first time user of amazon fire stick. got the lite yesterday and upon unpacking the item i immediately followed the steps in the original post. i was able to boot into TWRP custom recovery and install custom ROM lineageOS and gapps. i can also successfuly go back to stock by flashing the amazon image.

the only thing i cant figure out - how do i root this thing? i've installed the magisk apk but im lost on what to do next. is there a zip i can flash to root this? thank you.

xflbret

Mar 15, 2013
Tucson, AZ
hello everyone. im a first time user of amazon fire stick. got the lite yesterday and upon unpacking the item i immediately followed the steps in the original post. i was able to boot into TWRP custom recovery and install custom ROM lineageOS and gapps. i can also successfuly go back to stock by flashing the amazon image.

the only thing i cant figure out - how do i root this thing? i've installed the magisk apk but im lost on what to do next. is there a zip i can flash to root this? thank you.
I was just thinking about this, but then I think...why do we need to root this? Lineage isn't really locked down. Or, at least, I can't think of anything I'm locked out of that I need access to, unless I'm missing something.

Reactions: mikewolski

mikewolski

Feb 26, 2011
I was just thinking about this, but then I think...why do we need to root this? Lineage isn't really locked down. Or, at least, I can't think of anything I'm locked out of that I need access to, unless I'm missing something.
Because root is the best!!
I just did this to mine today. You have to rename the magisk.apk file to magisk.zip and flash it in TWRP. I recommend getting the apk from here since @tsynik kindly modded it for us so we don’t accidentally brick our devices by updating through the app.

raymccoy007

Nov 11, 2009
So many posts and no detailed instructions. How can i reboot into twrp? can you tell me the relvant instructions using adb commands

Hdp2972003

Jul 13, 2022
1607247455067-png.5435845

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.
Instructions:
  • Reboot to TWRP
  • Wipe data, system (/system_root) and cache
  • Flash the ROM and the GApps
  • Reboot and enjoy!
Downloads:
Reporting Bugs:
  • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel, you installed Xposed or you installed Magisk
  • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
  • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
Known issues:
  • Dolby Digital Plus™ E-AC-3
  • Netflix
Notes:
  • SELinux is in Permissive mode
  • The ROM supports both sheldon (Fire TV Stick Lite) and sheldonp (Fire TV Stick 3rd gen)
  • Do not ask for ETAs
How do i...
  • Unlock and install TWRP?
  • Go back to the original/stock ROM?
    • Download the stock update.bin (sheldon | sheldonp) and flash it using TWRP
Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
What is your--
LineageOS version:
LineageOS Download url:
Gapps version:

Did you--
wipe:
restore with titanium backup:
reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
a task killer:
a non-stock kernel:
other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

Contributors
R0rt1z2, k4y0z, t0x1cSH, diegocr
Source Code: https://github.com/mt8695
Kernel source: https://github.com/mt8695/android_kernel_amazon_mt8695
Can I use in 2nd gen fire stick

mikewolski

Feb 26, 2011
So many posts and no detailed instructions. How can i reboot into twrp? can you tell me the relvant instructions using adb commands
You should be able to use adb reboot recovery to get into TWRP. If that doesn't work then you can use the same sudo ./fastboot-step.sh in the unlock guide to get into twrp. Then look at the adb commands @frankielin left on page 6.

Can I use in 2nd gen fire stick
"The ROM supports both sheldon (Fire TV Stick Lite) and sheldonp (Fire TV Stick 3rd gen)"
So, no. The 2nd gen fire stick is neither of these devices.

Reactions: Merdeke

mikewolski

Feb 26, 2011
My Xbox Controller won't connect. It says pairing not possible, but why?
Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
What is your--
LineageOS version:
LineageOS Download url:
Gapps version:

Did you--
wipe:

Are you using--
a task killer:
a non-stock kernel:
other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

ShadowPlayzzYT

Jul 12, 2022

Code:
What is your--
LineageOS version:
LineageOS Download url:
Gapps version:

Did you--
wipe:

Are you using--
a task killer:
a non-stock kernel:
other modifications:

Doesn't my message say enough? It's just that my controller won't connect to my Fire TV. And i also doesn't really know how to use that report format. Should i just Copy/Paste, fill the questions out and type my issue? Doesn't makes much sense to me to be honest

etami

Dec 21, 2008
Anyone know if this rom would allow me to sideload android tablet apks? I want to be able to download shows on Netflix, Prime etc for offline viewing, which the tablet apps can do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After installing LineageOS on my FireTV Stick Lite, I have a problem with the audio volume. It's extremely low. Even if I turn up the volume on my TV to maximum, the audio can hardly be heard.
    I tried to connect a bluetooth speaker and it's a little bit better, but I still have to turn up the volume of the speaker to maximum to get a volume that is nearly usable, but still a little too low.
    Does anybody have an idea what could be causing this problem and how to fix it?
    I found a solution myself. I still don't know why the volume was so low, but with the following adb command the volume can be changed to maximum:

Code:
    adb shell service call audio 10 i32 3 i32 15

The 15 at the end is the volume and it looks like 15 is the maximum value.
    I spent quite a bit of time trying to get LineageOS working with my Fire TV Stick Lite Remote, so I want to describe my problems and how I solved them to help others with similar issues.

I followed the instructions, boot to TWRP (I had TWRP and magisk installed), wiped data, system, and cache, and flashed lineage-18.1-20220505-UNOFFICIAL-sheldon.zip and open_gapps-arm-11.0-tvmini-20220215.zip.

Everything went smoothly until it's time to pair the remote. The screen would show the image of the remote, and the animation indicates that I need to push the back and home buttons. As soon as I clicked on the home button the countdown was replaced by a spinning circle, but after a while the pairing will fail and the countdown timer start again. I tried holding the Home button for 10+ seconds, tapping it for 10+ seconds, holding Home + Back for 10+ seconds, etc. All sorts of combinations. All failed. I gave up and pressed ESC on the USB keyboard attached to the Y-splitter and continue to the rest of the setup. Once the setup is finished, I went into setting, Accessories and Remotes, and tried pairing again. LineageOS will find the "AR" device as soon as I click on the home button, but pairing always fails ("cannot pair") in the same fashion as during the initial setup. I did notice that if I hold Back+Home then the pairing failed quickly rather than a long timeout.

I though that maybe something was wrong with the remote (came with my brand new stick, with fresh Amazon batteries). Measured the battery voltages and they were fine. Also some people say that the LED light on the remote should flash if Home button is held for 10+ seconds but mine does not. So I tried pairing the remote with an Android phone. The pairing was very easy. I only needed to press Home once to let Android detect the remote, then hold Back+Home for the pairing to be done. I can even use the remote to navigate around on the Android phone.

So the hardware is fine, and I know the stick's Bluetooth is fine too because I can pair it with a generic Bluetooth keyboard with no problem whatsoever. So I started googling and found that the problem may be cause by GApps: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...11-for-raspberry-pi-4-b.4212945/post-86089723

So I started from scratch, re-installed LineageOS but this time WITHOUT GApps. During the initial setup, things are even worse than before because the remote cannot even be detected. So I pressed ESC on the keyboard and got into the Home Screen, and proceed to Settings, Accessories and Remote to try to pair again.

Same problem, no device detected. So I tried to pair the remote with my Android Phone again. This time Android phone cannot detected the remote either. I took out the battery of the remote, turned Bluetooth off and the on on the phone, and finally I was able to pair the remote to the phone again.

Now I went back to try to pair the remote with the Fire TV Stick. This time it finally worked. The remote was detected as "AR" and I held Back+Home and then clicked on "pair" and finally the pairing was successful.

I also rebooted the stick a few time and the pairing continued to work.

I decided that I actually like the system without GApps. I installed F-Droid and then installed VLC from it. For everything else I just use adb install. BTW, if you are on Windows and all you need is adb, you don't need to install the whole Android SDK, you can just install this: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-2-9-18.2317790/
    Thank you kindly for this. To begin with I had no volume problems, then one day it became too low to hear.. tried fiddling with the Consumer electronics control (CEC) choices in Settings in case that was it - and it went back to normal volume - then it went low again and stayed that way no matter the CEC settings (so maybe the initial fix was just a coincidence).

Anyway this adb command seems to have fixed volume permanently.
    The voice assistant also helped me to increase the volume to the maximum
    1607247455067-png.5435845

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.
    Instructions:
    • Reboot to TWRP
    • Wipe data, system (/system_root) and cache
    • Flash the ROM and the GApps
    • Reboot and enjoy!
    Downloads:
    Reporting Bugs:
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel, you installed Xposed or you installed Magisk
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    Known issues:
    • Dolby Digital Plus™ E-AC-3
    • Netflix
    Notes:
    • SELinux is in Permissive mode
    • The ROM supports both sheldon (Fire TV Stick Lite) and sheldonp (Fire TV Stick 3rd gen)
    • Do not ask for ETAs
    How do i...
    • Unlock and install TWRP?
    • Go back to the original/stock ROM?
      • Download the stock update.bin (sheldon | sheldonp) and flash it using TWRP

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    other modifications:

Contributors
    R0rt1z2, k4y0z, t0x1cSH, diegocr
    Source Code: https://github.com/mt8695
    Kernel source: https://github.com/mt8695/android_kernel_amazon_mt8695
    🕑 New build is up: 2022-05-05
    • Fixed the advanced audio distribution profile (A2DP)​
    • Fixed the remote disconnecting after rebooting​
    • Fixed the 3rd gen remote app-button(s)​
    • Fixed the microphone (assistant works now)​
    • Fixed Netflix not showing up in the Play Store​
    • Added support for newer remote revisions​
    • Enabled memory optimizations for low-RAM devices​
    • Enabled the XPAD kernel driver (xbox gamepads)​
    • Enabled exFAT/NTFS support in the kernel​
    • Switched to sheldonp blobs​
    NOTE: Netflix still has memory management issues (video playback), I'm still trying to figure out a way to fix this.

NOTE: As for the assistant button, it works but in a bit weird way; do not release the button when you stop talking, keep it pressed even if you have finished (the assistant will notice once you stop talking).
    when will the next compilation be ready approximately?

Thanks for the work you do!
    I don't know. I'm currently on vacation so I'm away from the PC for some days, but I guess it'll be released during the next week.
    Tried already exfat, ntfs, ext3+4...lineage alway says non usable filesystem and wants to format...
    I'll add exFAT/NTFS support to the next build (which yeah, should be released soon).
    Yes, I am already aware of the ongoing OOMs. I actually applied some workarounds (designed for low RAM devices) which will hopefully help and I'm currently trying to get Dolby (kinda hard since it requires framework modifications) to work now (WON'T FIX) (A2DP seems to be working now as well).

As a side note, Netflix will appear by default in the Play Store with the next build (thanks to the new Netflix RRO overlays/permissions/properties).

I'm also trying to debug all the issues related to the sheldonp remote, but keep in mind that it will take some time as I just own the standard sheldon remote.​