[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Fire TV Stick Lite/3rd gen (sheldon/p)

Search This thread

katyS

Mar 21, 2008
Has anyone been able to connect bluetooth hids? I'm having trouble connecting bt mouse. I can see mouse and select it to pair, but after a while it just says unable to pair

Reactions: Tech0308

dony71

Dec 1, 2010
If you have root you can modify the remote kl file of your device. For instance Netflix vol up and internet vol down.
Find the proper kl file in /vendor/usr/keylayout and edit. For example
# App Keys
#key 744 BUTTON_1 WAKE
key 745 BUTTON_2 WAKE
key 746 BUTTON_5 WAKE
#key 747 ALL_APPS WAKE

key 744 VOLUME_UP
key 747 VOLUME_DOWN

put # to comment out other references to that key
do you know which *.kl file for sheldonp fire tv stick 3rd gen remote ? (remote with alexa button, tv on/off, tv volume and 4 dedicated apps button for prime video, netflix, disney+ and hulu(

Srikanth008

May 16, 2022
1607247455067-png.5435845

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.
Instructions:
  • Reboot to recovery mode
  • Wipe data, system (/system_root) and cache
  • Flash the ROM and the Gapps
  • Reboot and enjoy!
Downloads:
Reporting Bugs:
  • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
  • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
  • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
Known issues:
  • Netflix crashes after a movie is played, a reboot is needed to play another (memory allocation)
Notes:
  • SELinux is in Permissive mode
  • The ROM supports both sheldon (Fire TV Stick Lite) and sheldonp (Fire TV Stick 3rd gen)
How do i...
  • Unlock and install TWRP?
  • Go back to the original/stock ROM?
    • Download the stock update.bin (sheldon | sheldonp) and flash it using TWRP
Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
What is your--
LineageOS version:
LineageOS Download url:
Gapps version:

Did you--
wipe:
restore with titanium backup:
reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
a task killer:
a non-stock kernel:
other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

Contributors
R0rt1z2, k4y0z, t0x1cSH, diegocr
Source Code: https://github.com/mt8695
Kernel source: https://github.com/mt8695/android_kernel_amazon_mt8695
Any eta on next update? Thank u so much for work which made us get rid of amazon bloat.

minorj

Oct 24, 2020
Hi, thanks for your work.
I just finished installing your latest build on the Lite version but I have two problems:

1) I don't have volume buttons on my remote and I'm using a PC monitor with builtin speakers (but no HDMI-CEC) at the moment. Can I somehow control the volume from the Fire TV instead of using the physical buttons on the monitor? Is there some sort of internal volume I can increase?
EDIT: i just read the previous messages so I guess the answer currently is no

2) I'm trying to use an app called "Mediaset Infinity TV", which is a popular app here in Italy that allows you to watch the live channels of this television network and some on demand content (package ID: it.mediaset.infinitytv). The one from the Amazon Store was working fine with the stock ROM, but now that I installed LineageOS the one from the Play Store isn't (it does not crash, but a generic error message appears in the app itself indicating that it cannot be opened). So I thought that it might be useful to investigate its behavior as I have the impression that the Fire TV is not being detected as a real TV by the checks made by this application and that maybe solving it will solve any other problems of other similar applications. Are you currently interested in solving this type of problem? If so, can I collect (how?) any logs or useful data for you? I think you would make many people in the Italian community happy by doing it, including me

Thanks.
Hi, I have some updates for the second problem.

I decided to take a look at the logcat while running that application and I discovered something interesting. There was no obvious error thrown by the application, but only a particular line that said:
Code:
05-24 11:24:05.446  5377  5377 I chromium: [INFO:CONSOLE(2)] "android.provider.Settings$SettingNotFoundException: limit_ad_tracking", source: https://static1.mediasetplay.mediaset.it/app/ctv/android_tv/chunks/vendors.eb1dd13ac2ff30589363.js (2)
From what I understand, the Fire TV is obviously still recognized as an Amazon device and not a Google device, so the application will apply the rules described on this page, which states that if the property "limit_ad_tracking" isn't found, the SettingNotFoundException is thrown.
At this point I thought it would be useful to analyze the application code and in fact I found this:
code.PNG
which then I modded into a fixed 1 (true value) just to give it a try:
codeM.jpg
and now the application works just fine!

So, I am wondering: why can't the property be found? What is this OS missing that the stock OS had to correctly retrieve this property? Is it something you can fix?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: rntbarbosa

Rortiz2

Hi, I have some updates for the second problem.

I decided to take a look at the logcat while running that application and I discovered something interesting. There was no obvious error thrown by the application, but only a particular line that said:
Code:
05-24 11:24:05.446  5377  5377 I chromium: [INFO:CONSOLE(2)] "android.provider.Settings$SettingNotFoundException: limit_ad_tracking", source: https://static1.mediasetplay.mediaset.it/app/ctv/android_tv/chunks/vendors.eb1dd13ac2ff30589363.js (2)
From what I understand, the Fire TV is obviously still recognized as an Amazon device and not a Google device, so the application will apply the rules described on this page, which states that if the property "limit_ad_tracking" isn't found, the SettingNotFoundException is thrown.
At this point I thought it would be useful to analyze the application code and in fact I found this:
which then I modded into a fixed 1 (true value) just to give it a try:
and now the application works just fine!

So, I am wondering: why can't the property be found? What is this OS missing that the stock OS had to correctly retrieve this property? Is it something you can fix?

Thanks.
Yes, I remember having problems with some streaming media apps when both ro.product.manufacturer and ro.product.brand were Amazon. I'll fix it in the next build. In the meantime, you can try setting these properties to amzn.​

minorj

Oct 24, 2020
Yes, I remember having problems with some streaming media apps when both ro.product.manufacturer and ro.product.brand were Amazon. I'll fix it in the next build. In the meantime, you can try setting these properties to amzn.​
Thanks for the suggestion, now the stock application works as before. However, I don't know if it's the best way to do this but I edited those properties by adding them to the build.prop file using adb while beeing in twrp

Oct 23, 2007
cosenza
Hi, I'm still having trouble with the volume keys on the voice remote. I can't even go back to the stock firmware as after the flash the Fire Tv logo appears and it doesn't go forward.

Salve, ho ancora problemi con i tasti del volume del telecomando vocale. Non riesco nemmeno a tornare al firmware stock in quanto dopo il flash compare il logo Fire Tv e non va avanti.

tweakradje

This problem (with exoplayer) looks very similar to our Netflix problem. Also on Amazon Mediatek. https://github.com/amzn/exoplayer-amazon-port/issues/105
2020-07-03 17:49:06.417 251-1527/? E/ion: ioctl c0144900 failed with code -1: Out of memory
2020-07-03 17:49:06.417 251-1527/? E/IMGSRV: :0: MTKGenericAlloc: Allocating memory via ion heap_id_mask=0x2000 size(15716480) failed (Out of memory)

I tried to switch from GL to Vulkan but that doesn't work: debug.hwui.renderer=skiavk (default is skiagl)
I will try renderthread.skia.reduceopstasksplitting=false

Is anyone still working on this?

Cheers

EDIT: Netflix Ninja workaround: if video doesn't play, press HOME, press Netflix (still active) and play again. So no need to close Netflix.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2014
Niterói
Hello everyone
I installed the ROM a few weeks ago, everything was working fine, all the apps and such. For some reason, this week, Netflix and prime video are not streaming. Netflix throws an error Code (tvq-pb-101) that appears related to the known issue, but I tried restarting the stick, turning it off, uninstall Netflix and it didn't fix it. Prime video does not give an error code. YouTube works fine. Any idea other than wiping all and reflashing the ROM?

fausti1981

Aug 7, 2014
first of all thank you

I follow the tutorial as explained

but reached point 6

TWRP menu appears on my screen

I can't navigate through the tv menus the remotes don't work

I am doing something wrong?

thank you very much and sorry for my translation

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi! I'm trying to install it but there are some errors. I'm using TWRP shell.
    I write
    Code:
    twrp wipe data
    twrp wipe system
    twrp wipe cache
    twrp install ROM.zip

But then I see this:

View attachment 6039066

How can I fix it? I also tried with other ZIP (as the FireOS original firmware) but nothing happen
    i accomplished it with on recovery:
    adb shell
    twrp sideload
    (it close the adb shell)
    adb sideload path/to/rom.zip
    I am getting the following error when trying to run bootrom-step.sh:

RuntimeError: Error: Serial protocol mismatch. expected 0000 got 2001.

It says "Software Version" on my stick is:

Fire OS 6.7.0.2

If anyone could help that would be great.
    Are you sure you don't have a Fire TV Stick 4K
    1607247455067-png.5435845

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.
    Instructions:
    • Reboot to TWRP
    • Wipe data, system (/system_root) and cache
    • Flash the ROM and the GApps
    • Reboot and enjoy!
    Downloads:
    Reporting Bugs:
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel, you installed Xposed or you installed Magisk
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    Known issues:
    • Dolby Digital Plus™ E-AC-3
    • Netflix
    Notes:
    • SELinux is in Permissive mode
    • The ROM supports both sheldon (Fire TV Stick Lite) and sheldonp (Fire TV Stick 3rd gen)
    • Do not ask for ETAs
    How do i...
    • Unlock and install TWRP?
    • Go back to the original/stock ROM?
      • Download the stock update.bin (sheldon | sheldonp) and flash it using TWRP
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
    restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

Contributors
    R0rt1z2, k4y0z, t0x1cSH, diegocr
    Source Code: https://github.com/mt8695
    Kernel source: https://github.com/mt8695/android_kernel_amazon_mt8695
    🕑 New build is up: 2022-05-05
    • Fixed the advanced audio distribution profile (A2DP)​
    • Fixed the remote disconnecting after rebooting​
    • Fixed the 3rd gen remote app-button(s)​
    • Fixed the microphone (assistant works now)​
    • Fixed Netflix not showing up in the Play Store​
    • Added support for newer remote revisions​
    • Enabled memory optimizations for low-RAM devices​
    • Enabled the XPAD kernel driver (xbox gamepads)​
    • Enabled exFAT/NTFS support in the kernel​
    • Switched to sheldonp blobs​
    NOTE: Netflix still has memory management issues (video playback), I'm still trying to figure out a way to fix this.

NOTE: As for the assistant button, it works but in a bit weird way; do not release the button when you stop talking, keep it pressed even if you have finished (the assistant will notice once you stop talking).
    New build is up: 2022-09-25
    • Fixed the low-volume issue.
    • Switched to SMLK (Simple Low Memory Killer).
    • Added support for UKSM (Ultra Kernel Samepage Merging)
    • Fixed support for NTFS external devices.
    • Fixed (minor) YouTube video flickering(s).
    • Fixed crashes when trying to use (some) streaming TV apps.
    • Disabled some non-ATV features (leftovers).
    Just a reminder to make clear that development for this device is not dead. As soon as I can, I will resume development.​
    I want to make clear once again that development for this device is not dead. My recent absence was due to some weather-related challenges we faced - our home was unfortunately flooded on two occasions. Now that I'm back and things have stabilized, I am refocusing my efforts on LineageOS 20 (since 18.1 is getting deprecated soon). Your patience and understanding during this time are greatly appreciated.​