• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][11][SM-T820][SM-T825][ALPHA][20210729] LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy Tab S3

Search This thread
Code:
/*
* Your warranty will be VOID after installing a custom ROM.
* Get notified yourself that I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
* Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it!
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications,
* and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device,
* I will laugh at you.
*/

# LineageOS

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

# What's working
  • Display/Touchscreen
  • Audio playback
    • Only bottom speakers
    • Headphone/Headset
    • Bluetooth audio
  • Video playback
    • HDR
  • Microphone
  • Sensors
  • Fingerprint sensor
  • GPS
  • LTE (SM-T825)
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • DRM
    • Widevine L1
  • USB ADB/MTP/OTG
  • Samsung Doze
  • S-Pen
    • Palm rejection
  • SD Card

# What's not working
  • Audio
    • Quad speakers
  • Camera
  • WiFi display
  • SELinux permissive
  • Hardware encryption
  • Lots of things I couldn't find...

# Downloads

## LineageOS 18.1

## OpenGApps for Android 11

## TWRP Recovery

# How to install
  1. Unlock the bootloader.
  2. Download TWRP and flash the recovery image via Odin.
  3. Download LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy Tab S3.
    • Be aware of the board name.
  4. Download GAPPS for Android 11and the others you want to flash.
    • Only OpenGApps is tested. (open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210130-TEST.zip)
  5. Enter TWRP recovery.
    • The first boot to TWRP might be very slow because of the unmatched file systems.
  6. Format the whole system, data, cache partitions using the format menu.
    • You will type `yes` to do that.
  7. Flash the images.
    • If you're going to install GApps or something, you have to install the LineageOS first.
  8. Reboot the system.
  9. Done.

# Known issues
  • Settings app crashes for the first run
  • SD card may not be recognized for the file system, excepts VFAT (FAT32)
  • WiFi display causes reboot
  • Some GApps packages including BitGApps won't work with my TWRP 3.5.2_9.0
  • Battery usage data for each app may report nothing
  • The side button on S-Pen is working but you must use the proper application that can handle the button event
  • Enabling AudioFX may cause a short popping sound when playing a sound
  • Thank all of you for the feedback

# Notes
  • It may take time to fix the audio and camera. To get further information, see the second post on this thread.
  • For now, it may not be good for the daily driver. Please be aware that this is a test version yet. I have no responsibility for your data.

# Sources

# Telegram Groups
  • If you are interested in developing this potential machine, please tell me through PM then I will send you the invitation link.
  • If you need a general discussion channel for this potential machine or want to share the news of its Android projects from anyone to everyone, you can join our discussion group chat.

# Buy me a coffee

# Credits / Special thanks to
  • Android Open Source Project
  • LineageOS Team
  • @Valera1978 for his amazing previous work including his MSM8996 kernel
  • @supermike86 and @samsuffit for testing LineageOS 18.1 for T820, which is I don't have one
  • @bmwdroid and @cherepanov for confirming the LTE works
  • @sebmue for letting me know that the useful information for palm rejection, and @ghostwheel for sharing its working source codes on Android 9
  • @switchgott for helping me in the development discussion and creating Telegram groups
  • All from our Telegram discussion channel, @EonOfBlack , Sands, David Becker, ...

Attachments

• gts3llte-lineageos18.1-2.png
    gts3llte-lineageos18.1-2.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 175
  • gts3llte-lineageos18.1-1.png
    gts3llte-lineageos18.1-1.png
    558.8 KB · Views: 167
  • gts3llte-lineageos18.1-3.png
    gts3llte-lineageos18.1-3.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 149
  • gts3llte-lineageos18.1-5.png
    gts3llte-lineageos18.1-5.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 152
  • gts3llte-lineageos18.1-6.png
    gts3llte-lineageos18.1-6.png
    288.1 KB · Views: 158
  • gts3llte-lineageos18.1-4.png
    gts3llte-lineageos18.1-4.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
## Changelogs
  • 2021. 7. 29
    • gts3l-common: Fixed headphone jack working.
    • gts3l-common: Fixed Bluetooth audio playback working.
    • gts3l-common: Fixed microphone working.
    • gts3l-common: Fixed AudioFX working.
    • gts3l-common: Made hardware touch key, LCD, Touchscreen, S-Pen disabled when the screen turns off.
    • gts3l-common: Fixed DRM working.
    • gts3l-common: Disabled connecting to WPA3 WiFi.
    • gts3lwifi: Fixed Bluetooth working.
    • gts3lwifi: Fixed vibrator working.
  • 2021. 7. 14
    • gts3l-common: Applied the new security patch, July 5, 2021.
    • gts3l-common: Added support for palm rejection for S-Pen.
    • gts3l-common: Added support for the Freeform Window mode of AOSP.
    • gts3l-common: Removed the "Serial console enabled. Performance is impacted..." message.
  • 2021. 7. 4
    • gts3l-common: Changed the default DPI value to 320.
    • gts3l-common: Added new pointer arrow icon for S-Pen.
    • gts3l-common: Moved fingerprint sensor location when the preview screen that is before the actual enrollment a fingerprint.
    • gts3l-common: Enabled automatically brightness by default.
    • gts3l-common: Enabled adjusting haptic feedback intensity menu.
    • gts3llte: Fixed LTE working.
  • 2021. 6. 28
    • gts3l-common: Separated the device tree into 3 parts, common, LTE, and WiFi.
    • gts3l-common: Changed the default DPI value to 360.
    • gts3l-common: Fixed fingerprint sensor working.
    • gts3l-common: No more adsprpcd errors on the logcat.
    • gts3llte: Added missing RIL-related binaries, init scripts and could check the RIL initialized properly. But an error still repeated on the logcat so I think it won't work yet.
    • gts3lwifi: Added support for Galaxy Tab S3 WiFi variants.
  • 2021. 6. 17
    • Initial release

Last edited:
Reactions: sebmue
## About quad-speakers

I have lots of tries to make quad-speakers working and finally, I think I found a way we should ahead.

I think the important parts for working quad-speakers are in the Samsung SoundBooster libraries. We can check this on the logcat easily.

Code:
12-31 13:28:24.101   708   708 I SoundBooster_plus: Use HardCoding Values
12-31 13:28:24.101   708   708 I SoundBooster7: SetPar()-whole parameter
12-31 13:28:24.101   708   708 I SoundBooster_Inner: SetPar()-partial parameter
12-31 13:28:24.101   708   708 I SoundBooster7:SoundBooster_Multiplexer: [mInstanceID:0]SetPar()  SPK_0_OnOff : 1 , SPK_1_OnOff : 1 , SPK_2_OnOff : 1 , SPK_3_OnOff : 1
12-31 13:28:24.101   708   708 I SoundBooster_Inner: SetPar()-partial parameter
12-31 13:28:24.101   708   708 I SoundBooster7:SoundBooster_Multiplexer: [mInstanceID:1]SetPar()  SPK_0_OnOff : 1 , SPK_1_OnOff : 1 , SPK_2_OnOff : 1 , SPK_3_OnOff : 1
12-31 13:28:24.101   708   708 I SoundBooster7: SetVolumeTable()
12-31 13:28:24.101   708   708 I SoundBooster7: SetOrientation( 0 )
12-31 13:28:24.101   708   708 I SoundBooster_Inner: SetOrientation( 0 )
12-31 13:28:24.102   708   708 I SoundBooster7:SoundBooster_Multiplexer: [mInstanceID:0]SetOrientation(0)
12-31 13:28:24.102   708   708 I SoundBooster7:SoundBooster_Multiplexer: [mInstanceID:0]Set_Orientation_Update_Flag() flag : 1
12-31 13:28:24.102   708   708 I SoundBooster_Inner: SetOrientation( 0 )
12-31 13:28:24.102   708   708 I SoundBooster7:SoundBooster_Multiplexer: [mInstanceID:1]SetOrientation(0)
12-31 13:28:24.102   708   708 I SoundBooster7:SoundBooster_Multiplexer: [mInstanceID:1]Set_Orientation_Update_Flag() flag : 1

Yes, I cannot really sure it initializes quad-speakers, but the name like SPK_#_OnOFF looks really interesting.

So if it is the one who makes quad-speakers working, then it looks quite easy; Use SoundBooster libraries.
But it is not that easy to use that library, properly.

The libraries, the vendor binaries, in other words, have a lot of dependencies on other libraries, each other. It sounds like it can be so complicated and you are right, sometimes it becomes so complicated to use.

Each library contains a list of which library it must go together so it is easy to supplement them. But we don't know which configuration files and the other libraries called by hardcoded code are needed because it is a binary file. Even the directory structure can be a matter.

For this reason, I could call the SoundBooster libraries like the above messages by using the many many prebuilt libraries but could not get the quad-speakers working so far. In the logcat the audio stuff annoys me about the lack of backend entries and something but I don't know what I am missing.

Plus, maybe it isn't a good idea to cover errors using shims or something because we still don't know which part needs to get the quad-speakers working.

I really hope the fully working speakers on the custom ROMs but it may take time.

### Update on 2021. 7. 29

Finally, I can enable the vendor audio HAL that comes with that SoundBooster to work. But so far no good for the quad speakers.

Even though the quad-speakers do not work yet, I think that the SoundBooster library is needed anyway. Because I saw the speaker rotation codes for the quad-speakers in that library.

So maybe the speaker itself is ready now, but something doesn't seem to be filled.

I have no idea for now, so I will update this post as soon as I find something. :unsure:

## Why the camera doesn't work? It works on the previous LineageOS on this forum

Right, it does. I think it may be related to the vendor files. Before starting the development LOS 18.1, I have to update vendor files from the latest firmware. But after that, the previous definitions for the camera on `device.mk` began not to work.

So, I should start again from scratch. Have to find out how many files the vendor files require, or how can I build the camera binaries from the sources.

Before all, I won't fix that right now. Since I think the camera is not that important as the others like the audio or the kernel, in general. It is an old tablet, having a just-could-be-used camera. Sorry for who loves its camera. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bakarios and sebmue
Sweet!
Unfortunately my wife uses out tablet for work too so I can't really mess with it.
Plus ours is 820 (non-LTE), so I'm not sure if the alpha will work anyway.
But I am quite curious to try some time.... maybe I'll just get a more recent work-tab :)

Thanks for your interest. :)

I believe I can create a WIfi version without the actual machine. It will be uploaded in a few days I think comes with implementing the common device tree.

Rhobb

Jun 7, 2021
Code:
/*
* Get notified yourself that I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it!
* I will laugh at you.
*/

# LineageOS

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

# What's working
  • Display/Touchscreen
  • Audio playback (only bottom speakers)
  • Video playback including HDR
  • Sensors
  • GPS
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • USB ADB/MTP
  • Samsung Doze
  • S-Pen
  • SD Card

# What's not working
  • Audio (quad speakers)
  • Bluetooth audio playback
  • Microphone
  • Camera
  • LTE
  • DRM
  • SELinux permissive
  • Hardware encryption
  • Fingerprint sensor (recognized but enrollment failed)

# Downloads

# How to install
  5. Enter TWRP recovery.
    • The first boot to TWRP might be very slow because of the unmatched file systems.
  7. Flash the images.
    • If you're going to install GApps or something, you have to install the LineageOS first.
  8. Reboot the system.
  9. Done.

# Notes [2021. 6. 17]
  • Some annoying messages are repeated on the logcat, which I think the tiny stutters may cause for this reason.
  • Fingerprint and some other minor things may be fixed soon but not sure about audio and camera.
  • For now, it may not be good for the daily driver. Please be aware that this is a test version yet. I have no responsibility for your data.
  • The device tree sources will be separated into two types of boards for better maintaining.

# Sources

# Buy me a coffee

• LineageOS Team
  • Valera1978 for his amazing previous work including his MSM8996 kernel
Thank You !

Will you also be working on the t820, because i see this id for t825?

Yes, I'm working on T820 now, actually, it's a little late because I tried some things including fixing the fingerprint working.

And I saw some interesting strings are in the audio.primary.msm8996 binary. I have tried using this but doesn't work so far.
If the quad-speaker can be enabled by that binary file, we should use that file on the fly.

But for now, it seems to take a lot of time, so I will upload the image for T820 before working on the quad-speaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: sebmue and bmwdroid

supermike86

Jul 19, 2016
Qualche volontario per testare LineageOS 18.1 per T820?
Potrebbe essere necessaria un'installazione pulita. Sarebbe qualcuno che può cancellare tutti i suoi dati.

Prova questa immagine e fammi sapere che funziona o meno. Se funziona aggiornerò il thread.
- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yMq8wAsJKIXf5C6iBF5kZCK6lngkDPwN/view?usp=sharing

Proverò e ti farò sapere

Edit:
the installation was successful, even with the installation of the nano gapps. wifi is working properly. for other bugs among those mentioned I have not had the opportunity to test yet. but in my opinion the system is very good and fluid, great job. it would be great to have this rom for daily use! thank's for your job!

Last edited:
Reactions: Awesometic

Luiggi Piumbu

Aug 4, 2017
Any volunteer to test LineageOS 18.1 for T820?
It may need clean install. It'd be someone who can erase all of his data.

Please test this image and let me know it works or not. If it works, I will update the thread.
- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yMq8wAsJKIXf5C6iBF5kZCK6lngkDPwN/view?usp=sharing
I installed it from the link in the first post with OpenGapps Nano (also from the first post), and so far so good.
This is really much much faster than the "Tweaked" ROM! It feels like a new tablet.
I don't use the camera, so for me it’s already very usable. I didn't notice any problem with audio. There is only sometimes a short popup appearing (a few milliseconds) and disappearing. Also, if you enable "Trust" it complains about SELinux and some stuff.
Anyway I will keep this fast ROM, great work, thank you!

EDIT: There is also a notification saying : "Serial console enabled. Performance is impacted. To disable, check bootloader" which i didn't understand the meaning...

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2016
Bavaria
You are so good! Thanks so much.
I do have 2 of the WiFi tablets and will test after my holiday.
The original firmware is really crap and so slow, hope that this is faster.
The only problem is I need it as daily driver, but will make a complete backup.
Greetings from Bavaria

Top Liked Posts

Fyi after 3d testing I can say that my T825 was/is working very stable with this ROM.
    Vivaldi had no crashes at all (no other app either).
    My daily driver on it.
    Wi-Fi, LTE, BT connections stay strong.
    GPS locking (sensors only) very fast.
    Brilliant work @Awesometic.
    Just hoping for camera now as I can live easily with only two speakers working.
    App usage of battery not being displayed, I don't care.
    Fyi after 3d testing I can say that my T825 was/is working very stable with this ROM.
    Vivaldi had no crashes at all (no other app either).
    My daily driver on it.
    Wi-Fi, LTE, BT connections stay strong.
    GPS locking (sensors only) very fast.
    Brilliant work @Awesometic.
    Just hoping for camera now as I can live easily with only two speakers working.
    App usage of battery not being displayed, I don't care.

Thanks for the review.

Yeah, as the audio works fine anyway, if I can fix the camera then I will update the state of this ROM to BETA :)
    I think I did fix DRM :D
    Yeah, it enables L1 widevine. I can play HDR, HD videos on Netflix, even though the apk file has to be downloaded from the Internet.

And fixing DRM may also fix the web-browser freezing issue. I got a logcat thanks to @bmwdroid, and I found the DRM-related messages on the log. Don't know, but for me, during about 10 mins web surfing using Vivaldi it has no lag, no freeze, and can play Youtube videos. but I still need you guys' help for confirming.

Please wait for the next release for a while. :)
    I just have uploaded the new releases and updated the thread contents, changelogs, and the post about quad-speakers.

This new release has DRM supports come with Widevine L1, but also has a huge improvement on the audio side.

Please check the original post of this thread. :)
    After fixing DRM, I have tried fixing quad-speakers but I got stuck and have no idea how to fix it for now. So.. I think fixing quad-speakers should be the later job.

So, now I will try to fix the camera from now on, and as always I cannot say it will be fixed on the fly. Just will do my best but there's no guarantee. 😅

I will upload the new release within this week. The release will contain fixed DRM, fixed Bluetooth on WiFi variants, and so on.
    Some feedback on this. The kernel needs a lot of work. Why does the camera not work for a start? How much of the parts of this device are proprietary, is this kernel coming from the old Lineage 16.0 (Android Pie) builds?
    What's the progress at the moment?

I tried to fix the camera but after some number of tries, I decide to skip fixing that because the camera is not the first one for the project.

The proprietary, if it means vendor files, I roughly started the project because the first goal is to make the device working on LineageOS 18.1. But I tried to build the components as much as the other MSM8996 device does.

Actually, I had to write the proprietary-files.txt from scratch because it was an empty file... :( Probably this part has taken the most time of all the development period.

And the kernel is forked from Valera1978's repository, it is also for fast development. By the commit messages, maybe the current base is T825XXU3CSH7. Right, it has to be updated and maybe has to be fixed lots of things but I won't focus on the kernel right now because I think I should finish the device tree first.

It's been only 1 month since its first boot up on Android 11. :)

After a few days...

+ Very good kernel/cpu management, meaning, a real deep sleep and a good battery life. That's the problem with others roms, no deep sleep state (or not for long) and a lot of battery draining when the screen is off.

- I experienced a screen freeze, massive bug, it seems related to the bluetooth, but I never tried to use it. Here's a logcat:

@Awesometic Thank you for your interest in this damned tablet :)

Thanks for the report. :) And also glad to hear that the power management working in the right way.
    I didn't know that the Bluetooth may cause the screen to freeze. Will look into that issue on my side.
    Wow, I just dusted this old tablet and I'm super pleased to find a "recent" ROM that is developed. Thank you for your work. Is there maybe a telegram channel for discussing ?
    Good idea. I have made a group chat in Telegram and share its link to the original thread. Please check that. :)
    Code:
    /*
    * before flashing it!
    * I will laugh at you.
    */

# LineageOS

# What's working
    • Display/Touchscreen
    • Audio playback
      • Only bottom speakers
      • Headphone/Headset
      • Bluetooth audio
    • Video playback
      • HDR
    • Microphone
    • Sensors
    • Fingerprint sensor
    • GPS
    • LTE (SM-T825)
    • WiFi
    • Bluetooth
    • DRM
      • Widevine L1
    • USB ADB/MTP/OTG
    • Samsung Doze
    • S-Pen
      • Palm rejection
    • SD Card

# What's not working
    • Audio
      • Quad speakers
    • Camera
    • WiFi display
    • SELinux permissive
    • Hardware encryption

# Downloads

## LineageOS 18.1

## OpenGApps for Android 11

## TWRP Recovery

# How to install
    5. Enter TWRP recovery.
    7. Flash the images.
    8. Reboot the system.
    9. Done.

# Known issues
    • Settings app crashes for the first run
    • SD card may not be recognized for the file system, excepts VFAT (FAT32)
    • WiFi display causes reboot
    • Some GApps packages including BitGApps won't work with my TWRP 3.5.2_9.0
    • Battery usage data for each app may report nothing
    • The side button on S-Pen is working but you must use the proper application that can handle the button event
    • Enabling AudioFX may cause a short popping sound when playing a sound
    • Thank all of you for the feedback

# Notes
    • It may take time to fix the audio and camera. To get further information, see the second post on this thread.

# Sources

# Telegram Groups
    • If you are interested in developing this potential machine, please tell me through PM then I will send you the invitation link.
    • If you need a general discussion channel for this potential machine or want to share the news of its Android projects from anyone to everyone, you can join our discussion group chat.

# Buy me a coffee

• LineageOS Team
    • @Valera1978 for his amazing previous work including his MSM8996 kernel
    • @supermike86 and @samsuffit for testing LineageOS 18.1 for T820, which is I don't have one
    • @bmwdroid and @cherepanov for confirming the LTE works
    • @sebmue for letting me know that the useful information for palm rejection, and @ghostwheel for sharing its working source codes on Android 9
    • @switchgott for helping me in the development discussion and creating Telegram groups
    • All from our Telegram discussion channel, @EonOfBlack , Sands, David Becker, ...
    I think I did fix DRM :D
    Yeah, it enables L1 widevine. I can play HDR, HD videos on Netflix, even though the apk file has to be downloaded from the Internet.

And fixing DRM may also fix the web-browser freezing issue. I got a logcat thanks to @bmwdroid, and I found the DRM-related messages on the log. Don't know, but for me, during about 10 mins web surfing using Vivaldi it has no lag, no freeze, and can play Youtube videos. but I still need you guys' help for confirming.

Please wait for the next release for a while. :)
    I installed it from the link in the first post with OpenGapps Nano (also from the first post), and so far so good.
    This is really much much faster than the "Tweaked" ROM! It feels like a new tablet.
    I don't use the camera, so for me it’s already very usable. I didn't notice any problem with audio. There is only sometimes a short popup appearing (a few milliseconds) and disappearing. Also, if you enable "Trust" it complains about SELinux and some stuff.
    Anyway I will keep this fast ROM, great work, thank you!

EDIT: There is also a notification saying : "Serial console enabled. Performance is impacted. To disable, check bootloader" which i didn't understand the meaning...

Thank you for enjoying this ROM. :)

You're right, audio has a little problem yet. I have a plan to fix that, but it will be after trying to use the Samsung binaries to fix the quad-speakers. If using Samsung binaries doesn't work, then will try to fix various issues with the bottom speakers.

And you can disable the alerts from Trust app by its settings.
    The "Serial console enabled. Performance is impacted" message probably is by a kernel or bootloader problem. I can't sure, but fixing this may be quite the last part of my LOS 18.1 project because it seems not affects the performance actually. If fixing this is pretty easy than I thought, I will fix that promptly.

You are so good! Thanks so much.
    I do have 2 of the WiFi tablets and will test after my holiday.
    The original firmware is really crap and so slow, hope that this is faster.
    The only problem is I need it as daily driver, but will make a complete backup.
    Greetings from Bavaria

Enjoy. :)
    I strongly agree that the stock ROM is quite slow than it supposed to be. Snapdragon 820 with 4GB RAM should not be slow like that. Even that is on Android 9. This is one of the strong reasons why I started the development for LineageOS 18.1.
    I really hope this ROM works like a charm on your tablets too.
    And I'll keep updating this ROM until it is really usable without any major issues.
    I just have uploaded the new releases and updated the thread contents, changelogs, and the post about quad-speakers.

This new release has DRM supports come with Widevine L1, but also has a huge improvement on the audio side.

Please check the original post of this thread. :)
    After fixing DRM, I have tried fixing quad-speakers but I got stuck and have no idea how to fix it for now. So.. I think fixing quad-speakers should be the later job.

So, now I will try to fix the camera from now on, and as always I cannot say it will be fixed on the fly. Just will do my best but there's no guarantee. 😅

I will upload the new release within this week. The release will contain fixed DRM, fixed Bluetooth on WiFi variants, and so on.