• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][11][SM-T820][SM-T825][BETA][20210901] LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy Tab S3

Search This thread
Fyi after 3d testing I can say that my T825 was/is working very stable with this ROM.
Vivaldi had no crashes at all (no other app either).
My daily driver on it.
Wi-Fi, LTE, BT connections stay strong.
GPS locking (sensors only) very fast.
Brilliant work @Awesometic.
Just hoping for camera now as I can live easily with only two speakers working.
App usage of battery not being displayed, I don't care.

Fyi after 3d testing I can say that my T825 was/is working very stable with this ROM.
Vivaldi had no crashes at all (no other app either).
My daily driver on it.
Wi-Fi, LTE, BT connections stay strong.
GPS locking (sensors only) very fast.
Brilliant work @Awesometic.
Just hoping for camera now as I can live easily with only two speakers working.
App usage of battery not being displayed, I don't care.

Thanks for the review.

Yeah, as the audio works fine anyway, if I can fix the camera then I will update the state of this ROM to BETA :)

LedgendaryEpics

Jun 14, 2018
Try this. Edit build.prop to set "qemu.hw.mainkeys=0" and reboot.
I haven't tested it yet.
both android 10 and 11 (lineage 17.1 and 18 respectively) are read only, only you can enable the feature at the kernal level. lineage os hides the feature unless the developer actively enables it for users. ive been looking for an alternative, but no one seems to care since most new and modern devices do not come with physical keys like this one

both android 10 and 11 (lineage 17.1 and 18 respectively) are read only, only you can enable the feature at the kernal level. lineage os hides the feature unless the developer actively enables it for users. ive been looking for an alternative, but no one seems to care since most new and modern devices do not come with physical keys like this one
Oh I see. I will have a look at this.

supermike86

Jul 19, 2016
this rom is very good for me. very smooth and the bettery is really great. the rejection of the palm is a very good thing I have rediscovered again how to draw and write notes on my tab s3. the camera on a tablet in my opinion is a secondary thing and if all 4 speakers work it would be a dream job. the only small problem I encountered was that of chrome that does not synchronize with the google account. and overheating when used for many hours to make updates. it comes hot in the upper right. and if it were possible to implement gestures this would be fantastic. but so already beautiful rom. congratulations again.

Reactions: Awesometic

LedgendaryEpics

Jun 14, 2018
this rom is very good for me. very smooth and the bettery is really great. the rejection of the palm is a very good thing I have rediscovered again how to draw and write notes on my tab s3. the camera on a tablet in my opinion is a secondary thing and if all 4 speakers work it would be a dream job. the only small problem I encountered was that of chrome that does not synchronize with the google account. and overheating when used for many hours to make updates. it comes hot in the upper right. and if it were possible to implement gestures this would be fantastic. but so already beautiful rom. congratulations again.
gestures can be implemented using adb i think? look up xda gesture on play store, youre also rooted, so use xposed edge for more gesture control

Reactions: supermike86
Now I'm trying to fix the camera, and actually I could use the same camera libraries from vendor firmware.

But it doesn't load properly just the same as audio. That means, I diff-ed the logcat of the stock firmware and the current mine. Almost the same for the first part of each component, but in the middle of the initializing, it gets slightly wrong way. 😅

Something goes wrong, and I think that affects both the audio and the camera.. Anyway, I'm doing hard. :)

sebmue

Something goes wrong, and I think that affects both the audio and the camera.. Anyway, I'm doing hard. :)
Thanks for doing it that way :) It's impressive what you have already achieved and provides a very usable, battery friendly and rather fast ROM.

Significantly tweaking the kernel seems not to be as easy as it is even for older chipsets. It seems to have severe throttling / heating issues, especially in this device. Changing throttling tresholds / as much undervolting as possible might be good single measures. As soon as I find a 820/825 kernel source with such optimizisations I will report back.

Thanks for doing it that way :) It's impressive what you have already achieved and provides a very usable, battery friendly and rather fast ROM.

Significantly tweaking the kernel seems not to be as easy as it is even for older chipsets. It seems to have severe throttling / heating issues, especially in this device. Changing throttling tresholds / as much undervolting as possible might be good single measures. As soon as I find a 820/825 kernel source with such optimizisations I will report back.
Dunno if this helps you but I use "Kernel Adiutor" on Big and Little to just go down one step on max frequency and noticed no heating at all.
Is on autostart so only once to set up.
Of course Magisk and root acces is needed to use it.
Will you name an app I can test that for you with?

Last edited:

pooyab

Dec 3, 2009
Rasht
Thank you for you efforts awesometic. I hope you can find a workaround for cam and quad speakers. It's a shame that such a great tablet was crippled by Samsung's poor software. this would be like a panacea for the poor guy

sebmue

Dunno if this helps you but I use "Kernel Adiutor" on Big and Little to just go down one step on max frequency and noticed no heating at all.
Is on autostart so only once to set up.
Of course Magisk and root acces is needed to use it.
Will you name an app I can test that for you with?
Thx for your offer 👍 using it already, but just for keeping cores at max upon input.

Do you experience less throttling by bringing max freq down?

Great news here. The next release will include the fully-working quad-speakers. :D
And I also have implemented the audio rotation codes for the screen rotation.

Actually, I already have used it for about 3 days, and I think it looks working flawlessly.
And, for the alternatives of the Dolby Atmos, I have tested with the Dolby Digital Plus module with Magisk and I can say that it is awesome. :cool:

The new release will be uploaded before this weekend. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Finally, I can take a picture with my Tab S3 :)

But still, there are some annoying bugs about the picture resolution, a flashlight behavior, ... but yeah it is usable when I take something using slightly lower resolution without the flashlight.

Also, for now, both the LOS camera app and Snap camera are not working well while Open Camera and Google Camera seem to be working well.

For now, the major problem is that if I use a flashlight in the camera app at least once, the overall GUI animations slow down even I closed the camera app.

So, when I publish the camera fixed version, at least I will fix this most bothering thing even though I can't fix it all for the camera.
    Uploaded the new builds, which contain the working camera.
    Please check out the first post and the changelogs :)
    News about the camera.

Finally we can use the default Snap camera app with no major issue, for taking a picture or recording a video with the front/rear camera.
    But in our case, using the Open Camera app from PlayStore is much better than the built-in Snap camera.

There will be small bugs yet like the flashlight behavior on the quick panel after using a camera app, but it is usable I believe and thankfully the testers from our Telegram channel agreed that. :)
    It will do work at least as much as LineageOS 16.0 or 17.1 on here does.

So I plan to upload the new build today or tomorrow and gathering the feedbacks, and will upload another build after the LineageOS gets the September security patch. Actually I think I cannot deal with all the unwanted behavior about the camera because it uses the vendor pre-built libraries by Samsung but I will try to find a workaround.

Yeah, let's go to the beta. :D
    I think I'm wrong about this not being compatible... Looks like someone else had a Project Treble GSI working.

Would be cool to do this with the Android 12 Beta 5 images! AND might make development easier for you! :)

Thanks

Yeah Valera did amazing work before, about Treble, but actually I have no plan to support Treble. :)

But I have a plan to support Android 12 if possible.
    Nah still fails on cts? Just reflashed as i need it for netflix and banking.
    Banking is not sure, but for Netflix you can use that by hiding Magisk from Netflix. :)
    But you still have to download the apk file from another source instead of PlayStore. 😅
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty will be VOID after installing a custom ROM.
    * Get notified yourself that I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications,
    * and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device,
    * I will laugh at you.
    */

# LineageOS

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

# What's working
    • Display/Touchscreen
      • LiveDisplay
    • Audio playback
      • Quad speakers
      • Headphone/Headset
      • Bluetooth audio
    • Video playback
      • HDR
    • Camera
    • Microphone
    • Sensors
    • Fingerprint sensor
    • GPS
    • LTE (SM-T825)
    • WiFi
    • Bluetooth
    • DRM
      • Widevine L1
    • USB ADB/MTP/OTG
    • Samsung Doze
    • S-Pen
      • Palm rejection
    • SD Card

# What's not working
    • Fast charging
    • Off-screen charging
    • WiFi display/hotspot
    • SELinux permissive
    • Hardware encryption
    • Lots of things I couldn't find
    • Please see the "Known issues" part of this post

# Downloads

## LineageOS 18.1

## Google Apps

## TWRP Recovery

# How to install
    1. Unlock the bootloader.
    2. Download TWRP and flash the recovery image via Odin.
    3. Download LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy Tab S3.
      • Be aware of the board name.
    4. Download GAPPS for Android 11and the others you want to flash.
      • Only OpenGApps is tested. (open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210130-TEST.zip)
    5. Enter TWRP recovery.
      • The first boot to TWRP might be very slow because of the unmatched file systems.
    6. Format the whole system, data, cache partitions using the format menu.
      • You will type `yes` to do that.
    7. Flash the images.
      • If you're going to install GApps or something, you have to install the LineageOS first.
    8. Reboot the system.
    9. Done.

# Known issues
    • Settings app crashes for the first run
    • SD card may not be recognized for the file system, excepts VFAT (FAT32)
    • OTG drives may show nothing even if it mounted
    • The side button on S-Pen is working but you must use the proper application that can handle the button event
    • Enabling AudioFX may cause a short popping sound when playing a sound
    • Input devices are not working, e.g, a Bluetooth keyboard, a mouse, and a PS4 controller
    • To boot from the off-mode charging screen it is needed to force reboot by key combo
    • Fast-charging won't work because the AFC driver thinks that the camera is "in use" state
    • Turning on the flashlight via the quick panel doesn't work after using a camera app
    • Using a camera app may cause reducing the UI performance on a launcher app
    • In a non-primary user, the tablet will not work properly including installing a new app or using a camera app
    • Nightlight mode will not switch automatically with Sunrise/Sunset.
    • Thank all of you for the feedback

# Sources

# Telegram Groups
    • If you are interested in developing this potential machine, please tell me through PM then I will send you the invitation link.
    • If you need a general discussion channel for this potential machine or want to share the news of its Android projects from anyone to everyone, you can join our discussion group chat.

# Buy me a coffee

# Credits / Special thanks to
    • Android Open Source Project
    • LineageOS Team
    • @Valera1978 for his amazing previous work including his MSM8996 kernel
    • @supermike86 and @samsuffit for testing LineageOS 18.1 for T820, which is I don't have one
    • @bmwdroid and @cherepanov for confirming the LTE works
    • @sebmue for letting me know that the useful information for palm rejection, and @ghostwheel for sharing its working source codes on Android 9
    • @switchgott for helping me in the development discussion and creating Telegram groups
    • All from our Telegram discussion channel, @EonOfBlack , Sands, David Becker, ...
    • @LuK1337 for giving me a hint to fix the quad-speakers.
    Hi all,

Finally, I can take a picture with my Tab S3 :)

But still, there are some annoying bugs about the picture resolution, a flashlight behavior, ... but yeah it is usable when I take something using slightly lower resolution without the flashlight.

Also, for now, both the LOS camera app and Snap camera are not working well while Open Camera and Google Camera seem to be working well.

For now, the major problem is that if I use a flashlight in the camera app at least once, the overall GUI animations slow down even I closed the camera app.

So, when I publish the camera fixed version, at least I will fix this most bothering thing even though I can't fix it all for the camera.
    Great news here. The next release will include the fully-working quad-speakers. :D
    And I also have implemented the audio rotation codes for the screen rotation.

Actually, I already have used it for about 3 days, and I think it looks working flawlessly.
    And, for the alternatives of the Dolby Atmos, I have tested with the Dolby Digital Plus module with Magisk and I can say that it is awesome. :cool:

The new release will be uploaded before this weekend. :)
    I installed it from the link in the first post with OpenGapps Nano (also from the first post), and so far so good.
    This is really much much faster than the "Tweaked" ROM! It feels like a new tablet.
    I don't use the camera, so for me it’s already very usable. I didn't notice any problem with audio. There is only sometimes a short popup appearing (a few milliseconds) and disappearing. Also, if you enable "Trust" it complains about SELinux and some stuff.
    Anyway I will keep this fast ROM, great work, thank you!

EDIT: There is also a notification saying : "Serial console enabled. Performance is impacted. To disable, check bootloader" which i didn't understand the meaning...

Thank you for enjoying this ROM. :)

You're right, audio has a little problem yet. I have a plan to fix that, but it will be after trying to use the Samsung binaries to fix the quad-speakers. If using Samsung binaries doesn't work, then will try to fix various issues with the bottom speakers.

And you can disable the alerts from Trust app by its settings.
    The "Serial console enabled. Performance is impacted" message probably is by a kernel or bootloader problem. I can't sure, but fixing this may be quite the last part of my LOS 18.1 project because it seems not affects the performance actually. If fixing this is pretty easy than I thought, I will fix that promptly.

You are so good! Thanks so much.
    I do have 2 of the WiFi tablets and will test after my holiday.
    The original firmware is really crap and so slow, hope that this is faster.
    The only problem is I need it as daily driver, but will make a complete backup.
    Greetings from Bavaria

Enjoy. :)
    I strongly agree that the stock ROM is quite slow than it supposed to be. Snapdragon 820 with 4GB RAM should not be slow like that. Even that is on Android 9. This is one of the strong reasons why I started the development for LineageOS 18.1.
    I really hope this ROM works like a charm on your tablets too.
    And I'll keep updating this ROM until it is really usable without any major issues.
    I think I did fix DRM :D
    Yeah, it enables L1 widevine. I can play HDR, HD videos on Netflix, even though the apk file has to be downloaded from the Internet.

And fixing DRM may also fix the web-browser freezing issue. I got a logcat thanks to @bmwdroid, and I found the DRM-related messages on the log. Don't know, but for me, during about 10 mins web surfing using Vivaldi it has no lag, no freeze, and can play Youtube videos. but I still need you guys' help for confirming.

Please wait for the next release for a while. :)