• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][11][SM-T820][SM-T825][BETA][20211116] LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy Tab S3

Search This thread

LedgendaryEpics

Jun 14, 2018
Just in case anyone other than me is still wondering. In order (for now) to have the navigation bars enabled, you have to flash edexposed YAFHA 0.5.1.x and up in order for it to work. It will not be enabled using sandhook for some reason, haven't tried regular edexposed zip, but assume the same. Will keep you posted if anyone's interested.

bowei

Aug 27, 2021
Are these logs?
Installing zip file '/external_sd/os/lineage-18.1-20210813-UNOFFICIAL-gts3llte.zip'
Unmounting System...
I:Update binary zip
Verifying package compatibility...
Package doesn't contain compatibility.zip entry
I:Extracting updater binary 'META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary'
I:Zip does not contain SELinux file_contexts file in its root.
I:Legacy property environment not used in updater.
SELinux: Loaded file_contexts
Target: samsung/gts3lltekx/gts3llte:9/PPR1.180610.011/T825N0KOU3CTD1:user/release-keys
Target: samsung/gts3lltekx/gts3llte:9/PPR1.180610.011/T825N0KOU3CTD1:user/release-keysExtracted file "/tmp/install/bin/backuptool.sh"
Extracted file "/tmp/install/bin/backuptool.functions"
Extracted 2 file(s)
about to run program [/tmp/install/bin/backuptool.sh] with 5 args
Backup/restore is not possible. Partition is probably empty
Patching system image unconditionally...
Patching system image unconditionally...performing update
blockimg version is 4
maximum stash entries 0
creating stash /cache/recovery/2bdde8504898ccfcd2c59f20bb8c9c25f73bb524
186195968 bytes free on /cache (0 needed)
/cache/recovery/last_command doesn't exist.
erasing 546420 blocks
BLKDISCARD ioctl failed: Invalid argument
failed to execute command [erase 8,442039,818688,819714,884224,885250,982528,983553,991536]
new data receiver is still available after executing all commands.
script aborted: E1001: Failed to update system image.
E1001: Failed to update system image.error: 1001
Updater process ended with ERROR: 1
I:Install took 0 second(s).
Error installing zip file '/external_sd/os/lineage-18.1-20210813-UNOFFICIAL-gts3llte.zip'
Updating partition details...
I:Data backup size is 0MB, free: 24651MB.
I:Unable to mount '/usb_otg'
I:Actual block device: '', current file system: 'vfat'
...done

bowei

Aug 27, 2021
I succeeded. I later swiped back to the Hong Kong version of the system. At first, I used other systems on this device. after that, I brushed your ROM and didn't prompt errors 1 again. I'm very happy, thank you for your efforts

Reactions: Awesometic
News about the camera.

Finally we can use the default Snap camera app with no major issue, for taking a picture or recording a video with the front/rear camera.
But in our case, using the Open Camera app from PlayStore is much better than the built-in Snap camera.

There will be small bugs yet like the flashlight behavior on the quick panel after using a camera app, but it is usable I believe and thankfully the testers from our Telegram channel agreed that. :)
It will do work at least as much as LineageOS 16.0 or 17.1 on here does.

So I plan to upload the new build today or tomorrow and gathering the feedbacks, and will upload another build after the LineageOS gets the September security patch. Actually I think I cannot deal with all the unwanted behavior about the camera because it uses the vendor pre-built libraries by Samsung but I will try to find a workaround.

Yeah, let's go to the beta. :D

amirhsk

Mar 25, 2018
Hey dude. Thanks for your efforts to make my tablet usable again. Although there is a minor issue in the latest update. when i tried to set a pattern for screen lock, my device crashed and got stuck in a boot loop. I hope you will fix this issue. Thanks again

Uploaded the new builds, which contain the working camera.
Please check out the first post and the changelogs :)
That's great man.
Thx very much.
Being lazy I tried a dirty installation first on T825 meaning only wiping system + caches. Then flashed ROM, BitGapps64 and Magisk.
Rebooted and all settings and everything else seems to be still working.
Plus camera (tested with OpenCamera) (y)(y)
Will carry on testing a bit and will quote issues.

Btw. noticed once in a while that after letting it rest in flight mode overnight it freezes after turning on WiFi. No more input possible in that state just turning off/reboting with pwr button works. Next time that happens I will test if I can access it via ADB and pull a log.

Last edited:
Hey dude. Thanks for your efforts to make my tablet usable again. Although there is a minor issue in the latest update. when i tried to set a pattern for screen lock, my device crashed and got stuck in a boot loop. I hope you will fix this issue. Thanks again
Sorry, I haven't experienced that. Could you send me the logcat?
How did you install LOS 18.1? Did you clean install it or dirty install from the other version?

That's great man.
Thx very much.
Being lazy I tried a dirty installation first on T825 meaning only wiping system + caches. Then flashed ROM, BitGapps64 and Magisk.
Rebooted and all settings and everything else seems to be still working.
Plus camera (tested with OpenCamera) (y)(y)
Will carry on testing a bit and will quote issues.

Btw. noticed once in a while that after letting it rest in flight mode overnight it freezes after turning on WiFi. No more input possible in that state just turning off/reboting with pwr button works. Next time that happens I will test if I can access it via ADB and pull a log.
Glad to hear that the camera is working well :D
The freezing issue, I didn't know that. Yeah, please send me a logcat file if you face that issue again.

amirhsk

Mar 25, 2018
Sorry, I haven't experienced that. Could you send me the logcat?
How did you install LOS 18.1? Did you clean install it or dirty install from the other version?
I installed LOS 18.1 after wiping system, data, cache & internal storage using your TWRP and then installed latest gapps pico.
how can i get the logcat?

I installed LOS 18.1 after wiping system, data, cache & internal storage using your TWRP and then installed latest gapps pico.
how can i get the logcat?

It depends on your system.
Please see this guide,

And this to get logcat,

Reactions: am2013
@Awesometic Latest version is a most stable ROM.
No more freezing when switching from flight mode to WiFi in the morning although CPU load still reaching 99%.
So no issues noticed.
From my point of view you can delete the "beta".

am2013

Dec 27, 2012
@Awesometic: First of all I want to really thank you for this ROM as it really shows what the S3 is capable of. It is really emberassing and a shame for the OEM that the original firmware is such a desaster concerning performance. So again thank you very much for the developement as this ROM boosts perfomance a lot. Now for the first time the device is usable.

I have installed the latest version and have found some bugs which may be fixable pretty easy.

1. Settings > Display > Night Light > Schedule > Sunrise/Sunset
Night Light is Not Automatic with Sunrise/Sunset. So it does not switch automatically.

I'm also sharing my Tab S3 SM-T820 with my family and it looks like there are some probably permission related issues concerning additional/secondary users. I hope that this can be fixed easily. With that fixed it will become a perfect device ;)

2. System does not work properly for additional/secondary non primery users:

a. when trying to install an app as an additional/seconbdary user I'm getting an error that there is unsufficient storage and I should free up some storage. This happens for all new apps which are NOT already installed by the main user.
b. I am only able to install the apps that are also already instralled by the main user. Then no error occurs and apps are directly added (not really installed) and available for the secondary user.
c. b works for all apps except Chrome. I'm not able to install Chrome at all as a secondary user event with it being installed already for the primary user.
d. camera does not work for secondary/additional users.

Hope that this issues for additional user accounts can be sorted out pretty fast with the next update.

Then I have an additional question to all: Can I use device encryption with this ROM and how would it handle the encryption of the /data for any additional users?

Thanx in advance,

am

massivenuts

Apr 7, 2020
Has the charging issue been sorted? I have the same problem with and earlier post regarding freezing when trying to charge with tablet switched off.

Alex20137

Feb 4, 2018
I can't get Netflix to work; it says "Sorry, we could not reach the netflix service. Please try again later. (-93)" I am connected to the internet and Magisk Hide is on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Long time no see. :)

I uploaded the new version that contains the November security patch and fixed arrow keys working on the keyboard inputs.
    Yeah, sorry for it isn't a big update, I know there're lots of bugs remaining. 😅

Currently I have been investigating upgrading our kernel as I said before.

I did start the Android kernel studying to know what CAF based kernel or AOSP based kernel means, and how the other people merge the latest tags from the official repositories to the vendor-providing kernel base.
    And now I think I'm managed to know the very small piece of that Android kernel world.

First, I found that there is no problem with using the Bluetooth keyboard on the stock kernel for LOS, which hasn't any patch including the upstream Linux patches and/or any tunes.
    Yeah, this is interesting, it can be small evidence that the current kernel is somewhat broken at least for the Bluetooth.

My first plan was to migrate Samsung codes to the LineageOS MSM8996 kernel. But after a few weeks, I realized that it isn't for humans. There are so many flags and tweaks they put in. Even some codes are not marked whether this code is from Samsung.

So I changed my plan, to get CAF tags onto the top of the CTD1 kernel that is the latest kernel base of the T825 model. Fortunately, I could merge some modern CAF tags successfully. But in that progress the camera got broken. :unsure:

Then, I tried to merge the AOSP tags for getting the proper upstream Android/Linux patches and security patches. I could merge until early 2020, that is also containing 3.18.140 upstream Linux patches. But I couldn't merge the latest patches like the one just published last month. It makes the tablet not boot.

I think it is quite hard work on our tablet because Samsung puts various un-listed patches onto the top of the 3.18.115 kernel but they didn't apply the upstream Linux patches. So, for example, when I merge the 3.18.116 tag to the current 3.18.115 kernel, I couldn't accept all the incoming changes because some files in the current kernel base are much more modern files. o_O This makes me get frustrated.

But it doesn't mean it is impossible. Some people out there are doing this job now so there will be something more I don't know yet about the Android kernel development. If someone has experience or knowledge of upgrading vendor kernel, please join our Telegram channel and let's discuss that.
    Well, I did try to transfer a few random files and folders and they worked fine.

Just to be clear, you want to access the obb folder through the root path that I specified above (/data/media/0/Android), not the standard internal storage location. Then the obb folder will be visible.

So for example. in MiXplorer, open the sidebar on the left (will be visible by default if you're using the tablet in landscape), press 'Root', grant root permissions if it asks, then go the path above.
    Or in Total Commander, on the homepage press 'File system root', then go to the path.
    I devoted last night to experiments))). You're right, I was able to access some folders, including the obb folder. This did not solve my problem with installing games with a cache, but this is already a problem for android 11. Google has changed the destination folders for application files and so far I do not really understand which files should be put in which folders. I'm trying to at least install games from playmarket right now. Applications larger than 100mb are not installed. That is, even the play market itself cannot install applications from itself))).
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty will be VOID after installing a custom ROM.
    * Get notified yourself that I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications,
    * and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device,
    * I will laugh at you.
    */

# LineageOS

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

# What's working
    • Display/Touchscreen
      • LiveDisplay
    • Audio playback
      • Quad speakers
      • Headphone/Headset
      • Bluetooth audio
    • Video playback
      • HDR
    • Camera
    • Microphone
    • Sensors
    • Fingerprint sensor
    • GPS
    • LTE (SM-T825)
    • WiFi
    • Bluetooth
    • DRM
      • Widevine L1
    • USB ADB/MTP/OTG
    • Samsung Doze
    • S-Pen
      • Palm rejection
    • SD Card
    • Power-off mode charging

# What's not working
    • Fast charging
    • WiFi display/hotspot
    • SELinux permissive
    • Hardware encryption
    • Lots of things I couldn't find
    • Please see the "Known issues" part of this post

# Downloads

## LineageOS 18.1

## Google Apps

## TWRP Recovery

# How to install
    1. Unlock the bootloader.
    2. Download TWRP and flash the recovery image via Odin.
    3. Download LineageOS 18.1 for Galaxy Tab S3.
      • Be aware of the board name.
    4. Download GAPPS for Android 11and the others you want to flash.
      • Only OpenGApps is tested. (open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210130-TEST.zip)
    5. Enter TWRP recovery.
      • The first boot to TWRP might be very slow because of the unmatched file systems.
    6. Format the whole system, data, cache partitions using the format menu.
      • You will type `yes` to do that.
    7. Flash the images.
      • If you're going to install GApps or something, you have to install the LineageOS first.
    8. Reboot the system.
    9. Done.

# Known issues
    • Settings app crashes for the first run
    • SD card may not be recognized for the file system, excepts VFAT (FAT32)
    • OTG drives may show nothing even if it mounted
    • The side button on S-Pen is working but you must use the proper application that can handle the button event
    • Enabling AudioFX may cause a short popping sound when playing a sound
    • Bluetooth inputs are not working, such as a Bluetooth keyboard
    • Fast-charging won't work properly, it sometimes works but most of the time it won't
    • Turning on the flashlight via the quick panel doesn't work after using a camera app
    • Using a camera app may cause reducing the UI performance on a launcher app
    • In a non-primary user, the tablet will not work properly including installing a new app or using a camera app
    • Nightlight mode will not switch automatically with Sunrise/Sunset
    • The tablet rarely reboots with a GMS related error
    • Unlocking the lock screen can make tablets not usable sometimes
    • CTS profile will not be fixed
    • Thank all of you for the feedback

# Sources

# Telegram Groups
    • If you are interested in developing this potential machine, please tell me through PM then I will send you the invitation link.
    • If you need a general discussion channel for this potential machine or want to share the news of its Android projects from anyone to everyone, you can join our discussion group chat.

# Buy me a coffee

# Credits / Special thanks to
    • Android Open Source Project
    • LineageOS Team
    • @Valera1978 for his amazing previous work including his MSM8996 kernel
    • @supermike86 and @samsuffit for testing LineageOS 18.1 for T820, which is I don't have one
    • @bmwdroid and @cherepanov for confirming the LTE works
    • @sebmue for letting me know that the useful information for palm rejection, and @ghostwheel for sharing its working source codes on Android 9
    • @switchgott for helping me in the development discussion and creating Telegram groups
    • All from our Telegram discussion channel, @EonOfBlack , Sands, David Becker, ...
    • @LuK1337 for giving me a hint to fix the quad-speakers.
    Hi all,

Finally, I can take a picture with my Tab S3 :)

But still, there are some annoying bugs about the picture resolution, a flashlight behavior, ... but yeah it is usable when I take something using slightly lower resolution without the flashlight.

Also, for now, both the LOS camera app and Snap camera are not working well while Open Camera and Google Camera seem to be working well.

For now, the major problem is that if I use a flashlight in the camera app at least once, the overall GUI animations slow down even I closed the camera app.

So, when I publish the camera fixed version, at least I will fix this most bothering thing even though I can't fix it all for the camera.
    Hello all.

I uploaded the new version, including fixing the power-off mode charging.
    I'm using the LPM binary that is from Samsung for the power-off mode charging. When you plug in the charging cable while the tablet turns off, you can see the original charging screen you might see in the stock firmware. :)

And I tried to fix the Bluetooth inputs and the OTG drives issues but I couldn't. I can reproduce these problems but I cannot find how to fix them for now. But I can confirm that the wired input devices are working such as a keyboard and a Playstation 4 controller.

Please check out the first post of this thread. :)
    Great news here. The next release will include the fully-working quad-speakers. :D
    And I also have implemented the audio rotation codes for the screen rotation.

Actually, I already have used it for about 3 days, and I think it looks working flawlessly.
    And, for the alternatives of the Dolby Atmos, I have tested with the Dolby Digital Plus module with Magisk and I can say that it is awesome. :cool:

The new release will be uploaded before this weekend. :)
    Long time no see. :)

I uploaded the new version that contains the November security patch and fixed arrow keys working on the keyboard inputs.
    Yeah, sorry for it isn't a big update, I know there're lots of bugs remaining. 😅

Currently I have been investigating upgrading our kernel as I said before.

I did start the Android kernel studying to know what CAF based kernel or AOSP based kernel means, and how the other people merge the latest tags from the official repositories to the vendor-providing kernel base.
    And now I think I'm managed to know the very small piece of that Android kernel world.

First, I found that there is no problem with using the Bluetooth keyboard on the stock kernel for LOS, which hasn't any patch including the upstream Linux patches and/or any tunes.
    Yeah, this is interesting, it can be small evidence that the current kernel is somewhat broken at least for the Bluetooth.

My first plan was to migrate Samsung codes to the LineageOS MSM8996 kernel. But after a few weeks, I realized that it isn't for humans. There are so many flags and tweaks they put in. Even some codes are not marked whether this code is from Samsung.

So I changed my plan, to get CAF tags onto the top of the CTD1 kernel that is the latest kernel base of the T825 model. Fortunately, I could merge some modern CAF tags successfully. But in that progress the camera got broken. :unsure:

Then, I tried to merge the AOSP tags for getting the proper upstream Android/Linux patches and security patches. I could merge until early 2020, that is also containing 3.18.140 upstream Linux patches. But I couldn't merge the latest patches like the one just published last month. It makes the tablet not boot.

I think it is quite hard work on our tablet because Samsung puts various un-listed patches onto the top of the 3.18.115 kernel but they didn't apply the upstream Linux patches. So, for example, when I merge the 3.18.116 tag to the current 3.18.115 kernel, I couldn't accept all the incoming changes because some files in the current kernel base are much more modern files. o_O This makes me get frustrated.

But it doesn't mean it is impossible. Some people out there are doing this job now so there will be something more I don't know yet about the Android kernel development. If someone has experience or knowledge of upgrading vendor kernel, please join our Telegram channel and let's discuss that.