[ROM][DISCONTINUED][11][TB-X704F/L] LineageOS 18.1 for Lenovo Tab4 10 Plus

Search This thread

ensmed

Nov 1, 2010
Stockholm
On the X704F (ID 73)
After flashing LOS 18.1 from this tread i lost Wifi and Bluetooth.
Reflashing stock rom i now have Wifi drivers crashing constantly.
Have something obvious flewn over my head ?
if someone has any suggestions and so thanks in advance
1. flash twrp 3.5.2_9-0 x704F img
2. wipe all except usb or microsd
3. flash lineage-18.1-20210511-UNOFFICIAL-TBX704.zip
4. flash https://sourceforge.net/projects/nikgapps/files/Releases/NikGapps-R/14-May-2021 any package you like
5. Finally flash https://magiskapp.com/zip/#download-now and wipe dalvik/cache, reboot

Reactions: 1907Fb1907

1907Fb1907

Oct 4, 2020
Last edited:

lukaspieper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
Eagerly waiting for new build with working FP sensor from @LumenReaper 😅
any updates on when it could be available ?

PS: Highly appreciate your work, thanks for carrying it forward 😊
I do not intend to release a new version before the June security patch is available in LineageOS. Apart from that, it depends on how I find or decide to spend time. The amount of time I have invested in the rom over the last few weeks is no longer something I can dedicate. If you already want to use the current changes, there is always the possibility to build the rom from source.

Apart from the FP sensor, there will probably be hardly any changes, which means that the rom will be as stable/unstable as before.

You must always remember that all this is created in my free time, so contributors are welcome.

Edit: You can expect a new version next weekend at the latest. There will also be a few changes.
Edit 2: Waiting for the
June patch to get merged.

Last edited:

Googole

I do not intend to release a new version before the June security patch is available in LineageOS. Apart from that, it depends on how I find or decide to spend time. The amount of time I have invested in the rom over the last few weeks is no longer something I can dedicate. If you already want to use the current changes, there is always the possibility to build the rom from source.

Apart from the FP sensor, there will probably be hardly any changes, which means that the rom will be as stable/unstable as before.

You must always remember that all this is created in my free time, so contributors are welcome.
I could understand that.
My tablet freezes and turns off itself randomly sometimes and I would appreciate it if you fix this issue sometine.

Jawarens

Aug 9, 2010

mbryantuk

Feb 21, 2012
It might not be related to this ROM as such but I am stuck with my Lenovo Tab 4 Plus 10, I was on this ROM a month back but after some stability issues (and wanting Sky Go working) i used the Rescue and Smart Assistance Tool to revert to Stock but now the tablet freezes 30 seconds after boot and restarts and continues in this loop. The Bootloader is locked and because it freezes so quickly after booting, therefore I cannot enable ADB Debugging to then reflash this ROM. Any ideas before this ends up in the bin!

flouli

Apr 13, 2021
Düsseldorf
www.nmr.hhu.de
It might not be related to this ROM as such but I am stuck with my Lenovo Tab 4 Plus 10, I was on this ROM a month back but after some stability issues (and wanting Sky Go working) i used the Rescue and Smart Assistance Tool to revert to Stock but now the tablet freezes 30 seconds after boot and restarts and continues in this loop. The Bootloader is locked and because it freezes so quickly after booting, therefore I cannot enable ADB Debugging to then reflash this ROM. Any ideas before this ends up in the bin!
Couldn't you use this description (in #1) to unlock your bootloader, boot into fastboot and reflash?

lukaspieper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
New build is up

2021-06-15

• Upstream changes (including June security patch)
  • Fingerprint sensor bring up
  • Rebase kernel on kuntao (Lenovo P2)

Rebasing the kernel is associated with massive changes. On the one hand, there are bug fixes that prevent the kernel from crashing due to an exception in the WiFi driver. On the other hand, new problems can come along with it.

The new version (and the old ones) can now be found exclusively on GitHub. The link is in the first post.

mbryantuk

Feb 21, 2012
Couldn't you use this description (in #1) to unlock your bootloader, boot into fastboot and reflash?
Might
  1. Enable developer options and in there select to unlock your bootloader by enabling OEM unlock and enable USB debugging
As i cannot get into Android to enable Developer options.

When i run fastboot oem unlock-go i get:
FAILED (remote: oem unlock is not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.016s

• Sad
Reactions: flouli

tabbeber

Nov 23, 2019
Following this project with great interest. Currently using Android 10 on my tablet. I'm just waiting for SeLinux to work properly, then I'm definitely downloading this.

Reactions: mbryantuk

tingeltangeltim

Jun 16, 2021
I had the 17.1 Version of LineageOS installed on my Tablet and I am glad that there are People like you to support these Devices in their leisure Time. Thank you so much for your effort.

Soon I will test your 18.1 Version.

These Firms like Lenovo treat us like idiots and dont offer updates. I will never buy a new Lenovo Tablet.

flouli

Apr 13, 2021
Düsseldorf
www.nmr.hhu.de
Might

1. Enable developer options and in there select to unlock your bootloader by enabling OEM unlock and enable USB debugging
As i cannot get into Android to enable Developer options.

When i run fastboot oem unlock-go i get:
FAILED (remote: oem unlock is not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.016s
And if you try another reflash with the Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant (LMSA)?

mbryantuk

Feb 21, 2012
And if you try another reflash with the Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant (LMSA)?
Thanks @flouli, tried that repeatedly to no avail... now I am getting FAIL as the outcome of that process.

Starting to think its time it goes in the bin, with the way Lenovo treated me on this device I think this community has given me more life out of this tablet than I ever expected especially just after purchase reading this device was effectively dead on arrival in regard to updates.

I will definitely do a lot more research on its replacement.

flouli

Apr 13, 2021
Düsseldorf
www.nmr.hhu.de
Thanks @flouli, tried that repeatedly to no avail... now I am getting FAIL as the outcome of that process.

Starting to think its time it goes in the bin, with the way Lenovo treated me on this device I think this community has given me more life out of this tablet than I ever expected especially just after purchase reading this device was effectively dead on arrival in regard to updates.

I will definitely do a lot more research on its replacement.
Maybe a last try to enable developer options via adb: Boot to fastboot and have a look at this.

GRöder

May 18, 2021
New build is up

2021-06-15

Rebasing the kernel is associated with massive changes. On the one hand, there are bug fixes that prevent the kernel from crashing due to an exception in the WiFi driver. On the other hand, new problems can come along with it.

The new version (and the old ones) can now be found exclusively on GitHub. The link is in the first post.
First of all: Thank you very much for voluntarily supporting this technically quiete nice device for which lenovo dropped support right after releasing it. (y) From Android 7 to 11 thanks to custom ROMs - that is amazing! 🥳 (And btw. the longest time custom ROM supported device I ever had.)

I just installed your current version with fingerprint support (coming from LOS 16), and the FP scanner works perfectly to unlock the device, though apps which normally offer to utilize the FP scanner to unlock them (password managers, magisk, etc...) claim that the device does not have any fingerprint hardware / support. May this have something to do with the Selinux state ?

Reactions: Nuclear Blast

lukaspieper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
First of all: Thank you very much for voluntarily supporting this technically quiete nice device for which lenovo dropped support right after releasing it. (y) From Android 7 to 11 thanks to custom ROMs - that is amazing! 🥳 (And btw. the longest time custom ROM supported device I ever had.)
Your welcome. Let's see how many more versoins will be possible.
I just installed your current version with fingerprint support (coming from LOS 16), and the FP scanner works perfectly to unlock the device, though apps which normally offer to utilize the FP scanner to unlock them (password managers, magisk, etc...) claim that the device does not have any fingerprint hardware / support. May this have something to do with the Selinux state ?
I noticed that too, in fact that's why I wrote "Fingerprint bring up" in the changelog. I don't think it has anything to do with SELinux, especially because my test builds are already enforcing. Maybe a configuration is still missing somewhere or it has something to do with the keystore, but these are just speculations.

GRöder

May 18, 2021
@LumenReaper
I noticed another weirdness (which seems to be rooted in the firmware / partition design of this tablet, not in your ROM). Whenever one of the root-apps I use tried to even read from the /system partition (e.g. MiXplorer's root-explorer feature), the system freezes completely and must be shut down forcefully.
I remembered that I had a similar problem when I flashed the Android 9 / LOS 16 ROM for the first time, looked at the thread and found the following:
[...]
Mounting system rw
This is impossible on our tablet. The bootloader enforces verity check, which causes this issue.
The only possibility is to modify bootloader, what is dangerous and requires good knowledge.
there is a workaround using magisk with a mod. which mounts your system rw on mount:
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=79681018&postcount=259
[...]
I appearently used that magisk module successfully on LOS 16, as I never had any problem with system freezes again. I now tried use the same zip in Magisk to regain the abillity to access /system, but appearently it does not work anymore on LOS 18.1 since it still freezes when trying to access anything on /system after flashing the zip via magisk.
Do you have / has anyone else got access to /system on this ROM ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You're welcome, in case you haven't found what you're looking for, here you go:

Ubuntu (VM) is recommended, I recommend you to assign at least 300GB storage. The Google hardware recommendations are a little high for people not doing it every day.

Setup of the VM here: https://source.android.com/docs/setup/start/initializing

Downloading the LineageOS source code, make sure you download the correct version and not the latest: https://github.com/LineageOS/android

After that you need the device specific repositories. Can/should be added to a manifest file. Link is in the first post.

Building is here: https://source.android.com/docs/setup/build/building
    Thanks @lukaspieper , I was able to build LineageOS 18.1 for this tablet, I tried to do it for LineageOS 21.0, getting errors. I am wondering if I need to convert all libraries to 21.0 ?
    LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

Your warranty is now void.

I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

3rd PARTY ADDONS/MODS
    While we have no issues with people using supersu/magisk/xposed/custom kernels/etc, we can't provide support for users who have them installed.

HOW TO INSTALL LINEAGEOS
    - Upgrade to latest available official firmware
    - Upgrade to latest available TWRP
    - Download the LineageOS zip(s). (see Downloads)
    - Copy the LineageOS zip to internal/external sdcard.
    - Unlock bootloader and install TWRP.
    - Boot into TWRP.
    - Perform a backup of your current ROM. (Optional)
    - RECOMMENDED: Do a factory reset! No support if you didn't!
    - Flash LineageOS.
    - Optional: Install the Google Apps addon package.
    - Reboot

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS
    - Download the LineageOS zip(s). (see Downloads)
    - Copy the LineageOS zip to internal/external sdcard.
    - Flash LineageOS.
    - Update the Google Apps addon package if it is installed on your current LineageOS version.
    - Reboot

WHAT WORKS:
    Wifi
    Bluetooth
    Audio
    Camera
    LED
    USB
    Encryption
    Hall sensor
    DT2W (disabled by default in settings)
    Fingerprint
    Selinux Enforcing

BROKEN:
    GPS (working for some users, read page 5 and 6)
    SIM card (help needed as I have the wifi-only-tablet)
    Bluetooth aptx (reported by user, unconfirmed)
    Wireless display (reported by user, unconfirmed)

DOWNLOADS
    LineageOS 18.1: GitHub
    TWRP: XDA Thread

DEVELOPER RESOURCES
    GitHub

MANY THANKS TO THE CONTRIBUTORS
    @Coffeinflash
    New build is up

2021-06-27

• SELinux Enforcing
    • Support fingerprint authentication in apps
    • Build kernel with clang compiler
    • Adjust kernel (add Wireguard VPN, drop zcache and legacy filesystems, etc.)
    As communicated in the last release, build is available on GitHub. Those who have an account there can also be notified of new versions from GitHub by clicking on "Watch".

Otherwise, we are close to the goal, from my side, only the GPS needs to be fixed. Someone who has the appropriate tablet would have to work on mobile data. Everything else should work, as far as I know or have been told.
    New build is up

2021-06-15

New October release available on GitHub!
    Changelog moved to GitHub.

2021-08-07
    • August security patch
    • Minor UI changes
    2021-06-27
    • SELinux Enforcing
    • Support fingerprint authentication in apps
    • Build kernel with clang compiler
    • Adjust kernel (add Wireguard VPN, drop zcache and legacy filesystems, etc.)
    2021-06-15
    • Rebase kernel on kuntao
    2021-05-11
    • Camera is working now (many thanks to @Coffeinflash for fixing it)
    • May security patch
    • Applied a patch to fix the random shutdowns
    2021-04-30
    • Initial release