Search This thread

1907Fb1907

Oct 4, 2020
Did you install dolby on it?
Does fingerprint sensor work?
Did you pass safetynet check?
Thanks
1.i flashed it with magisk Dolby v8.1
Remote stopped problem.. I also solved this viper4 fx magisk...
2.yes
3.yes.. magisk hide props config.. termux su - props
yes they work if you know how to make them

m0lek

Oct 26, 2014
I'm not sure about the status of this ROM. From recent postings here I got the impression that some stuff is still not working correctly (e.g. installation problems with the Wifi-only version = SIM card error, bluetooth problems, FM radio not working) in comparison to the LOS 17.1 build where these things are working (at least I think so). Can someone tell me what's the status of these issues? Are they resolved?

At the moment I am providing regular builds for LOS 17.1 for the Lenovo Tab 4 10 Plus. I'd happily switch over to LOS 18.1 builds and provide these with every month's security fixes. But I think it won't be a good idea if such LOS 18.1 would be of lower quality than the current LOS 17.1 builds. That's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can provide monthly security update for this ROM if it's OK with the OP.

m0lek

Oct 26, 2014
@LumenReaper
Today, I clean flashed your latest uploaded LOS 18.1 ROM to my Tab4 10 plus (x704A) successful.
When the phone had booted for the first time, there were pop up messages as mentioned in previous comments as: device's internal error, contact the manufacturer ; public signature ; speech services. I hit OK at each pop up message and went through the initial setup successfully.
Yes, the Tab4 recognized an inserted SIM card. I'm very impressed!👍 but the IMEI shows: Unknown. I have not tested the GPS and bluetooth yet.
For now, the big issue with this LOS 18.1 ROM is the pop up message: "there's a internal problem. Contact the manufacturer" when I reboot my tablet. Sometimes when I hit OK, the tablet was boot loop.
Please check this issue out. If you can solve it, this LOS 18.1 ROM is good for daily use.
Thanks for your works!

Last edited:

CEPi

Jul 7, 2007
A few unexpected crashes reboot the device on its own, otherwise pretty good. Not very stable but acceptable compared to stock Android 7.

Good work!

lukaspieper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
I'm not sure about the status of this ROM. From recent postings here I got the impression that some stuff is still not working correctly (e.g. installation problems with the Wifi-only version = SIM card error, bluetooth problems, FM radio not working) in comparison to the LOS 17.1 build where these things are working (at least I think so). Can someone tell me what's the status of these issues? Are they resolved?

At the moment I am providing regular builds for LOS 17.1 for the Lenovo Tab 4 10 Plus. I'd happily switch over to LOS 18.1 builds and provide these with every month's security fixes. But I think it won't be a good idea if such LOS 18.1 would be of lower quality than the current LOS 17.1 builds. That's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance
As I remember 17.1 (it's been a long time) the rom was more stable than my 18.1. However, I've been using my rom for my TB-X704F since the first version. But the other variants have more problems according to the responses in this thread, but I could not solve them without a suitable device.

So I wouldn't recommend you to switch, at least if you don't want to make any changes to the rom yourself and only build the upstream changes.
With latest version

2022-02-21​

able to skip SIM setup during linageos setup. Thanks.
I'm glad for you, but just want to mention that I didn't make any adjustments myself, so must have been tweaked by LineageOS itself.

Reactions: Ecthelion4

Lovehaze

Mar 16, 2022
Just got this ROM working and it looks great! Can someone shed some light on the pop up "This build was signed in with public keys" on every boot under the trust section. I'm not educated enough to understand it. Thank you!

lukaspieper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
Just got this ROM working and it looks great! Can someone shed some light on the pop up "This build was signed in with public keys" on every boot under the trust section. I'm not educated enough to understand it. Thank you!
Have you already read my post one page back? To deal with the issue in a completely superficial way, signing gives certain information about the origin of the build.

lukaspieper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
\

Thanks Lumen, I did see that post... Its just a bit above my understanding. Thank you for an awesome ROM and extra life out of the tablet!
It's not that easy to explain. At least for me. It would allow you to make sure that an update is created by the "system" that created a previous release. In my opinion it is quite important for OTA updates.

Maybe you want to start your own research. Just search for "code signing", here is the Wikipedia page where you may just want to read the first paragraph.

lukaspieper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
Hi Lumen, thanks for your efforts to keep this device alive. Any chance to port android 12?
Sorry missed your post.

Honestly, I'd like to try it, but our outdated kernel (3.18) prevents it. The developer of the Lenovo P2 (kuntao) kernel has taken first steps to develop a kernel in version 4.9. Not sure if he will continue with this though, the last change was in early January.

As you can see from my changelog, I am currently using the kuntao 3.18 kernel as a base, means if the 4.9 kernel would be ready, we would have a chance.

ensmed

Nov 1, 2010
Stockholm
Sorry missed your post.

Honestly, I'd like to try it, but our outdated kernel (3.18) prevents it. The developer of the Lenovo P2 (kuntao) kernel has taken first steps to develop a kernel in version 4.9. Not sure if he will continue with this though, the last change was in early January.

As you can see from my changelog, I am currently using the kuntao 3.18 kernel as a base, means if the 4.9 kernel would be ready, we would have a chance.
Thanks for your reply. Take care.

lukaspieper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
Sorry missed your post.

Gives news on the subject: I could not resist and had to try it. After many hours of work I managed to boot the Kuntao 4.9 kernel in TWRP. Screen and touch also work, so you are able to get logs without using USB. That's the problem, I can't get the USB port to work.

To make a long story short, if no one steps up and gets involved in development, this is probably the end of a long journey started with Android 7.

Here is my latest kernel and here in this repository are the old USB drivers and customizations (there are single commits for them).

If someone solves the USB problem, I am willing to continue working on it.

5centr5

Jul 11, 2016
Kyiv
Then you may contact the manufacturer ;) OK, all joking aside. I've already asked you twice for a logcat.

Until then, does anyone else get a message like that with the TB-X704L?
Hello. I have exactly the same problem, on my TB-X704V. I'm attaching the logcat. In all other respects everything works well. None of the bugs have been confirmed:

GPS - work
SIM card - work
Wireless display - work
Bluetooth aptx - no devices to check

UPD:
I found the reason. Despite the fact that in the file build.prop
ro.build.fingerprint: Lenovo/LenovoTB-X704F/X704F:7.1.1/NMF26F/TB-X704F_S000056_181015_ROW:user/release-keys
but in fact, if I run the command "getprop ro.build.fingerprint" through the terminal, I get
ro.build.fingerprint: Lenovo/LenovoTB-X704L/X704L:7.1.1/NMF26F/TB-X704L_S000056_181015_ROW:user/release-keys

Although I generally have a model TB-X704V. It looks like the problem is in the file android_device_lenovo_tb_x704f/init/init_lenovo_tbx704.cpp.

For now, anyone who wants to fix this can do the following:

After installing Magisk 24.3 and the module safetynet-fix-v2.2.1.zip, the device did not pass the CTS profile match (because some of the parameters remain from TB-X704F, and some of the parameters from TB-X704L). You need install the module MagiskHidePropsConf-v6.1.2.zip and selected a fingerprint for X704F. And now you have SafetyNet Attestation and there is no annoying window with an error either.

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

MisterMark88

Apr 17, 2008
Nokia 8
ASUS ZenFone 8
Gives news on the subject: I could not resist and had to try it. After many hours of work I managed to boot the Kuntao 4.9 kernel in TWRP. Screen and touch also work, so you are able to get logs without using USB. That's the problem, I can't get the USB port to work.

To make a long story short, if no one steps up and gets involved in development, this is probably the end of a long journey started with Android 7.

Here is my latest kernel and here in this repository are the old USB drivers and customizations (there are single commits for them).

If someone solves the USB problem, I am willing to continue working on it.
I tried to build your latest kernel, had to make some adjustments just to make the build succeed. I guess I am using a newer GCC to build it. However when I repack the kernel image with Android Kernel Kitchen into an extracted boot.img from the latest version of the rom it won't boot. I flashed it with TWRP, but nothing happens after the initial boot logo from Lenovo.

Can you document on the tool chain you used, since I understand from this message you where able to boot and test some things. I am willing to invest time to extend the lifetime on this tablet, however I have no real kernel development experience. Although I am a developer so understand how to debug and port things and know my way around in Linux, so I think it could be done.

lukaspieper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
I tried to build your latest kernel, had to make some adjustments just to make the build succeed. I guess I am using a newer GCC to build it. However when I repack the kernel image with Android Kernel Kitchen into an extracted boot.img from the latest version of the rom it won't boot. I flashed it with TWRP, but nothing happens after the initial boot logo from Lenovo.

Can you document on the tool chain you used, since I understand from this message you where able to boot and test some things.
I never booted the ROM with the new kernel. I just used it for building and running TWRP. I like to do small steps sequentially. Getting the new kernel stable with the recovery should be a very good base for continuing with LineageOS. The build time for TWRP is much shorter and the logs are less cluttered.

For working on the kernel, I setup a new build environment using Ubuntu 20.04. Then I closely follow Google's AOSP guide. After that I went for TWRP's minimal source tree. In the following you can find the manifest file I use:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
    <project name="teamwin/android_device_lenovo_X704F" path="device/lenovo/X704F" remote="github" revision="android-9.0" />
    <project name="lenovo-devs/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953" path="kernel/lenovo/msm8953" remote="github" revision="lineage-17.1" />
    <project name="lukaspieper/android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953" path="kernel/lenovo/tbx704" remote="github" revision="android-11-4.9-wip" />
</manifest>

Note that the device tree includes a prebuild kernel. In a first step you might want to build TWRP with it to make sure your build environment is ready. After that you either build the new kernel and replace the prebuild one or you update the Makefiles to build the kernel from source right away.

Hope I could help you with this information. If you need more details, feel free to ask. Your contribution is very welcome.

I am willing to invest time to extend the lifetime on this tablet, however I have no real kernel development experience. Although I am a developer so understand how to debug and port things and know my way around in Linux, so I think it could be done.
I kind of have the same background. Being a professional software developer definitely helps getting things sorted out. However @yener90 (likely the person who knows this device the most) has already pointed out that the USB and power source code is tricky. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:

m0lek

Oct 26, 2014
I'd installed the April build LOS 18.1 ROM with Nikgapps core to my TB-X704A successfully. There is no more pop up "error"warning message!
The ROM is stable enough to be used as a daily driver. There are hitcups that I had seen so far:
- lost IMEI if installed Magisk v.24.3
- wifi occasionally drops connection
- the sound from internal speakers is low
Those hitcups are considered minor and bearable to me to use the ROM.

Bugs: WiFi scan can not stick when exit the set up page. This leads up to the "WiFi turn on automatically" function can't turn on.

Suggestions:
- increase Wi-Fi idle timing so the connection won't drop
- modify all the volume values in the mixer_path_config.xml from 84 to 94
- incorporate audio mod, ie. Dolby Atmos into the ROM so user won't root the ROM to install Magisk Modules.

Thanks the OP for the ROM and keeping the Tab4 10 Plus alive!👍

Last edited:

lukaspieper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
I'd installed the April build LOS 18.1 ROM with Nikgapps core to my TB-X704A successfully. There is no more pop up "error"warning message!
The ROM is stable enough to be used as a daily driver. There are hitcups that I had seen so far:
- lost IMEI if installed Magisk v.24.3
- wifi occasionally drops connection
- the sound from internal speakers is low
Those hitcups are considered minor and bearable to me to use the ROM.

Bugs: WiFi scan can not stick when exit the set up page. This leads up to the "WiFi turn on automatically" function can't turn on.

Suggestions:
- increase Wi-Fi idle timing so the connection won't drop
- modify all the volume values in the mixer_path_config.xml from 84 to 94
- incorporate audio mod, ie. Dolby Atmos into the ROM so user won't root the ROM to install Magisk Modules.

Thanks the OP for the ROM and keeping the Tab4 10 Plus alive!👍
@5centr5 found a solution for the popup.

Furthermore thanks for your detailed feedback. Feel free to contribute and create pull requests for the changes you suggest.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You're welcome, in case you haven't found what you're looking for, here you go:

Ubuntu (VM) is recommended, I recommend you to assign at least 300GB storage. The Google hardware recommendations are a little high for people not doing it every day.

Setup of the VM here: https://source.android.com/docs/setup/start/initializing

Downloading the LineageOS source code, make sure you download the correct version and not the latest: https://github.com/LineageOS/android

After that you need the device specific repositories. Can/should be added to a manifest file. Link is in the first post.

Building is here: https://source.android.com/docs/setup/build/building
    Thanks @lukaspieper , I was able to build LineageOS 18.1 for this tablet, I tried to do it for LineageOS 21.0, getting errors. I am wondering if I need to convert all libraries to 21.0 ?
    LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

Your warranty is now void.

I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

3rd PARTY ADDONS/MODS
    While we have no issues with people using supersu/magisk/xposed/custom kernels/etc, we can't provide support for users who have them installed.

HOW TO INSTALL LINEAGEOS
    - Upgrade to latest available official firmware
    - Upgrade to latest available TWRP
    - Download the LineageOS zip(s). (see Downloads)
    - Copy the LineageOS zip to internal/external sdcard.
    - Unlock bootloader and install TWRP.
    - Boot into TWRP.
    - Perform a backup of your current ROM. (Optional)
    - RECOMMENDED: Do a factory reset! No support if you didn't!
    - Flash LineageOS.
    - Optional: Install the Google Apps addon package.
    - Reboot

HOW TO UPDATE LINEAGEOS
    - Download the LineageOS zip(s). (see Downloads)
    - Copy the LineageOS zip to internal/external sdcard.
    - Flash LineageOS.
    - Update the Google Apps addon package if it is installed on your current LineageOS version.
    - Reboot

WHAT WORKS:
    Wifi
    Bluetooth
    Audio
    Camera
    LED
    USB
    Encryption
    Hall sensor
    DT2W (disabled by default in settings)
    Fingerprint
    Selinux Enforcing

BROKEN:
    GPS (working for some users, read page 5 and 6)
    SIM card (help needed as I have the wifi-only-tablet)
    Bluetooth aptx (reported by user, unconfirmed)
    Wireless display (reported by user, unconfirmed)

DOWNLOADS
    LineageOS 18.1: GitHub
    TWRP: XDA Thread

DEVELOPER RESOURCES
    GitHub

MANY THANKS TO THE CONTRIBUTORS
    @Coffeinflash
    New build is up

2021-06-27

• SELinux Enforcing
    • Support fingerprint authentication in apps
    • Build kernel with clang compiler
    • Adjust kernel (add Wireguard VPN, drop zcache and legacy filesystems, etc.)
    As communicated in the last release, build is available on GitHub. Those who have an account there can also be notified of new versions from GitHub by clicking on "Watch".

Otherwise, we are close to the goal, from my side, only the GPS needs to be fixed. Someone who has the appropriate tablet would have to work on mobile data. Everything else should work, as far as I know or have been told.
    New build is up

2021-06-15

• Upstream changes (including June security patch)
    • Fingerprint sensor bring up
    • Rebase kernel on kuntao (Lenovo P2)

Rebasing the kernel is associated with massive changes. On the one hand, there are bug fixes that prevent the kernel from crashing due to an exception in the WiFi driver. On the other hand, new problems can come along with it.

The new version (and the old ones) can now be found exclusively on GitHub. The link is in the first post.
    New October release available on GitHub!
    Changelog moved to GitHub.

2021-08-07
    • August security patch
    • Minor UI changes
    2021-06-27
    • SELinux Enforcing
    • Support fingerprint authentication in apps
    • Build kernel with clang compiler
    • Adjust kernel (add Wireguard VPN, drop zcache and legacy filesystems, etc.)
    2021-06-15
    • Upstream changes (including June security patch)
    • Fingerprint sensor bring up
    • Rebase kernel on kuntao
    2021-05-11
    • Camera is working now (many thanks to @Coffeinflash for fixing it)
    • May security patch
    • Applied a patch to fix the random shutdowns
    2021-04-30
    • Initial release