• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][12.0][N7100][Samsung Galaxy Note 2][LineageOS 19.0][ALPHA]

Search This thread

alexfire_s

Jan 5, 2022
I'm not sure what you all want from me :p 😅.

People wanted to enjoy full gesture navigation, but this works only with the software navbar so far,
this is why I've enabled it and created the toggle_navbar script ;).
So that you can switch if you want.

We will see how LineageOS wants to handle these things in future,
until then, we have my script :).
maybe we didn't understand each other's dnkg) I don't use nav bar, only gestures. but there is such a strip bottom when opening the keyboard. can it be disabled according to your instructions?

Attachments

• IMG_20220108_233005_832.jpg
    IMG_20220108_233005_832.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 51

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
maybe we didn't understand each other's dnkg) I don't use nav bar, only gestures. but there is such a strip bottom when opening the keyboard. can it be disabled according to your instructions?
You want it like this, right? This is what html6405 suggested before and I tried... Please check the discussion above!

Screenshot_20220108-233015_Brave - Beta.png

Reactions: html6405

AlexALXua

Sep 27, 2019
Hi everyone. After my first atteptm with 11 android and sim block issue (so needed to replace sim card) i decided again install new rom and this time switch to android 12. Of course did disabled sim-pin this time to prevent same issue again.

Did installed also bitgapps (as no opengapps for 12 yet) and Magisk.

Already using it day and found some issue what can share:

- Camera in apps like firefox (scan qr) or chrome NOT working properly. It just stuck with first image from it. But with open camera it works just fine.
- Can't find anywhere how to enable NFC (there is no such option in connected devices settings), and google pay says "please enable nfc", while i'm pass all safetynet tests and "nfc checker" says that there is NFC. So i guess NFC is not working at all yet.
- Just after install screen had "AOD" enabled, but in menu it shown as disabled. When did turn on/off it - its disabled now. So just small graphical glitch.
- When expand top bar (not sure how its called) - text animation is laggy, like low fps or something.
- if MAPS.me store maps on sdcard - it wont be loaded at all, not sure why, works if they are in internal memory.

This is all so far. Had few times app crashes but rom seems to work pretty good. Will see more in next coming days! Will test GPS soon.

Thanks a lot!

ps Ah, and just curious - I know its reported already, just want to know if there is any change to get compass to work in future? Is this missing hardware drivers or so what not possible to do?

html6405

Recognized Developer
Hi everyone. After my first atteptm with 11 android and sim block issue (so needed to replace sim card) i decided again install new rom and this time switch to android 12. Of course did disabled sim-pin this time to prevent same issue again.

Did installed also bitgapps (as no opengapps for 12 yet) and Magisk.

Already using it day and found some issue what can share:

- Camera in apps like firefox (scan qr) or chrome NOT working properly. It just stuck with first image from it. But with open camera it works just fine.
- Can't find anywhere how to enable NFC (there is no such option in connected devices settings), and google pay says "please enable nfc", while i'm pass all safetynet tests and "nfc checker" says that there is NFC. So i guess NFC is not working at all yet.
- Just after install screen had "AOD" enabled, but in menu it shown as disabled. When did turn on/off it - its disabled now. So just small graphical glitch.
- When expand top bar (not sure how its called) - text animation is laggy, like low fps or something.
- if MAPS.me store maps on sdcard - it wont be loaded at all, not sure why, works if they are in internal memory.

This is all so far. Had few times app crashes but rom seems to work pretty good. Will see more in next coming days! Will test GPS soon.

Thanks a lot!

ps Ah, and just curious - I know its reported already, just want to know if there is any change to get compass to work in future? Is this missing hardware drivers or so what not possible to do?
There are still parts for nfc missing in the source, it will come sooner or later with the updates,
at the moment its not working and you can't enable it.
Thx for your report, compass is not working because of a not working hal.
An open source sensor hal is used for this, optimized and overworked for the note 2.
Many people were working on this and tried to get it working, including myself, but this isn't that important so that I wan't to spend many more hours on this.

Reactions: AlexALXua

porcino

Feb 18, 2011

I tried a secure messenger Trifa (TOX network), which uses Barcode Scanner, both from Fdroid repo. This scanner does work with QR codes.

I have a suspicion that in some apps there is a different scanner which uses google services, as it stops working without gapps installed. It is, probably, a good thing, as it helps to identify unsafe apps and break some of their malicious behaviors (use ClassyShark3xodus from Fdroid to see trackers, or spies, embedded in the apps).

Last edited:

AlexALXua

Sep 27, 2019
I have a suspicion that in some apps there is a different scanner which uses google services, as it stops working without gapps installed. It is, probably, a good thing, as it helps to identify unsafe apps and break some of their malicious behaviors (use ClassyShark3xodus from Fdroid to see trackers, or spies, embedded in the apps).
I'm using gapps, just not sure if this is gapps issue (bitgapps) or rom one. And i need to use camera in various apps not just for qr scanner. So i'll be graceful for any tip how to fix those.
There are still parts for nfc missing in the source, it will come sooner or later with the updates,
Oh, ok. Does this also applies for android 11 rom? And how long this usually happens (month/year?).

compass is not working because of a not working hal.
An open source sensor hal is used for this, optimized and overworked for the note 2.
Hm... Ok, so i guess this will be super last thing to fix maybe. Thanks for explanation, not sure if i can somehow help with this.

UPDATE: have few more problems, not sure again is this ROM or gapps:

- already 4th time got all contacts erased from device, can restore from backup but something wrong.
- all apps lost permissions by some reason, needed to allow those again

Please tell me if this is gapps or rom issue so i'll can write in proper topic (bitgapps is thats their issue). Thanks.

Last edited:

html6405

Recognized Developer
I'm using gapps, just not sure if this is gapps issue (bitgapps) or rom one. And i need to use camera in various apps not just for qr scanner. So i'll be graceful for any tip how to fix those.
I don't know why the camera doesn't work in some apps for you, I guess that you've granted the permissions?
Oh, ok. Does this also applies for android 11 rom? And how long this usually happens (month/year?).
It should work on android 11.
I can't tell you when there will be the next build and what will be fixed in the next update,
if you need some specific functions, it would be better to use LineageOS 18.1.
Hm... Ok, so i guess this will be super last thing to fix maybe. Thanks for explanation, not sure if i can somehow help with this.
I can't promise if this will ever be fixed, it took already many hours.
- already 4th time got all contacts erased from device, can restore from backup but something wrong.
- all apps lost permissions by some reason, needed to allow those again
Hmm this is a weird behaviour, I hope that your eMMC doesn't drive crazy. I wouldn't blame nobody so far,
backup all your important data and watch it.

AlexALXua

Sep 27, 2019
I don't know why the camera doesn't work in some apps for you, I guess that you've granted the permissions?
Yes, of course, as i said - it even shows first image and then stuck - and there is no buttons to take picture or anything except "back" button. And it seems like in some apps its working, in others - not. Super weird.
I can't tell you when there will be the next build and what will be fixed in the next update,
Ah, so you need to fix this yourself? i thought this is lineage os issue. Gotcha.
I can't promise if this will ever be fixed, it took already many hours.
Hehe, probably this already made everyone crazy :D But i'll still hope that someone will do this eventually! Sadly that i can't help with this, since have no experience with writing firmware/drivers at all.
Hmm this is a weird behaviour, I hope that your eMMC doesn't drive crazy. I wouldn't blame nobody so far,
backup all your important data and watch it.
I had one forced reboot when made nfc tests and phone did freeze completely, i guess permissions was lost after this reboot. As for contacts - still watching, have no any explanation of this yet. But hopefully this is NOT eMMC problems.
f you need some specific functions, it would be better to use LineageOS 18.1.
I'll see, also this time want to provide logs before refrash if will decide that. Maybe this will help somehow to fix some issues.

Thanks for answers! Really appreciate for this.

EDIT: added log when opening camera in FF, hopefully this can help. And will repeat - camera permission is SET, but there is only option "allow only while using app". Added second log for extra app.

Attachments

• camera.zip
    10.7 KB · Views: 2
  • camera2.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
Yes, of course, as i said - it even shows first image and then stuck - and there is no buttons to take picture or anything except "back" button. And it seems like in some apps its working, in others - not. Super weird...
In what apps does the camera misbehave? Is it that in some apps it always works well and in the others always freeze?

The camera in this phone is strange. In Trifa it shows correct colours on the same device, but on the remote device the colours are distorted, almost grayscale. Rendering the remote video stream in Note2 is also imperfect - sluggish with artifacts, as if the hardware h.264 codec is not used. It's not a complaint, as the messenger is actually working quite well.

GN-z11

Jan 16, 2022
Just installed it on my Note 2 t0tle (SHV-E250S) by removing few lines at the update-script. This performs a little bit better than older roms maybe due to better non transparent ui. I know I shouldn't submit any bugs but I can't connect to wifi even with correct password. But overall, I can't wait for this to be ported to t0tle.

Edit : I just did, by using Static IP and not DHCP, maybe modem related as this is an LTE device.

Last edited:

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
Well I took the plunge and am running this -amazing work by HTML6405. A few bumps - had to remove the Ext SD Card to get out of a boot loop but now all good. GPS and Camera seems to be working, SIM card readable. Have to get used to Andr/LinOS 12 menus and especially pull down tabs - seem a step backwards in some ways and wish I could reduce their clunky size. Also cannot find an option to Restart in Recovery during power off - otherways to do this obviously, but it was nice in LinOS 18. Maybe buried in Gestures or the Power button options but I cannot find it. But that the ROM works at all is a real accomplishment. Will see how Battery Use goes over a few days, but this is stable enough so far. Bravo and thanks.

wiijordends

Jun 21, 2013
I am writing to you to follow up on my previous post.
I have been using this ROM for almost 2 weeks from clean installed state (not dirty flash).
I am still convinced that this ROM works very stable, smoothly and very snappy.

However, I have discovered new problems that I would like to report.
Some of them are maybe already known.

- Problems when using the microphone in apps:
Note that all permissions are granted, the developer tile for disable sensors is disabled and the new Android 12 camera and mic toggles were enabled!
I discovered this problem when I wanted to make a Signal call with a friend. I can hear and see my receiver and he can see me but cannot hear me. My first impression was that there was permission problem or something wrong with the app, which was not the case. Later this week I wanted to share a voice memo with a colleague on Session. When the app is recording, the app crashes completely. This could not be a coincidence. I tried the in build Google camera and Open Camera to make a video, but as soon as filming is done and therefore the microphone is used, these apps crash.
I also tried Jitsu meeting with app and in the browser. Those apps won't won't crash, just like Signal, but my receiver cannot hear me. This problem even occurs inside the inbuilt voice recorder app.
The microphone in apps is something I use regularly. This is a bit inconvenient.

- Low(er) battery life:
I have the impression that the battery drains very quickly, even when the device is not being used and is in standby.
On a full charge, I can barely get through the day (without charging).
With your 18.1 ROM, my device noticeably lasted much longer.
I even use battery save mode on higher battery percentages in order to prevent this from happening without much effect.
Although this time I started from a clean install, I suspect that this might have something to do with a battery calibration problem?

- No battery charge indication when the phone is turned of while charging:
This low priority problem may be related to LineageOS rather than your ROM.
When the phone is charging while it is turned off, there is not red, yellow or green LED light that indicates the charging progress. In order to know the phone is fully charged, you must press the power button for a short time to bring up a circle with the charging progress on the screen. It won't work by pressing the home button.
It is just a bit inconvenient if I just want to quickly check if my device is fully charged, it has to be done manually.
It is not a big issue.

- Scrolling trough toggles is notification drawer works wonky:
This low priority problem may be related to LineageOS rather than your ROM.
When I try to pull the notification drawer open and navigate horizontally between my quick tiles/toggles, sometimes the side swipe motion doesn't respond.
After a second or third swipe, scrolling between the tiles/toggles often goes very slow. It doesn't feels like the UI that is experiencing difficulties, it feels more like a lag or not responding correctly, than an animation that is not working (animations on x0.5).

My LED blinking issue from my first post is solved after the clean install.
I seldom do a dirty install, but I couldn't backup some important stuff back the then.
After some personal testing, the LED blinking issue was caused by older settings data from 18.1 that caused a conflict on 19.
This caused "battery save mode" to behave in an unexpected way.
Random reboots are still there but occurs less frequently.

I only had 3 random reboots during my whole testing period.
I can't pinpoint the cause but it mostly happens while doing multiple "memory intensive" task.
Like switching between the Brave browser with multiple tabs and a video in the background and Session in a chat with multiple pictures in it. Maybe it has something to do with an out of memory issue, but I should expect that the apps would crash, not the OS?

The theming engine is still broken and I can't change the icon shape on the homescreen.
But I assume that are LineageOS related problems.

Like always, I really appreciate that you make old devices more secure by providing up-to-date degoogled ROMs.
If there are some specific things you like to test, please let me know.
I am happy to help to make your ROM as stable as possible and really appreciate your work.

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
TEXT TO SPEECH?

I need to use this phone as a navigator - I cannot get text to speech to work for voice directions. (Trying to get this to work with MapsMe App -whole point is to do all navigating off line so if it works with e.g. Google Maps, doesn't help me - using with a prepaid SIM with no data and no roaming). I go this to work on Here Maps (older version) but it has a separate downloadable voice file that I don't think works off the system.

Downloaded the Google TTS (as it is ad free) but seems to keep crashing, when I try to set up in the Accessibility settings...This is now called Speech Services - it is the default, and all permissions seem ok. But the ROM choices regarding TTS seem limited and greyed out.

Anyone able to configure and use Speech to Text on this ROM and if so, how? And or must I download some app?

Kind of a big deal. Thanks

Last edited:

html6405

Recognized Developer
Ah, so you need to fix this yourself? i thought this is lineage os issue. Gotcha.
Well I don't know so far, it could be fixed from the LineageOS side,
or I have to find a solution (maybe in the hal).
But I also have to find the time to build anyway.
Rendering the remote video stream in Note2 is also imperfect - sluggish with artifacts, as if the hardware h.264 codec is not used.
This could be fixed in the next build.

Thx for your reports.

Reactions: AlexALXua

AlexALXua

Sep 27, 2019
Just did tested GPS today - with cold boot (without internet) it did worked successfully (after ~5 mins waiting)! While ~30 minutes had all fine and never had signal issues. So can confirm - GPS is working fine in this ROM.

And small question - is there way to enable back/menu buttons to have LED like was in stock firmware?

Top Liked Posts

To entertain everyone with pictures...

These are the screenshots of GPStest and Compass app from Fdroid. One can see GPS lock, not see GPS losing lock in a moment after the screenshots were taken, see the compass sensor not working in the Sky view of GPStest, and see Compass app happilly using the compass sensor. I've tested the compass sensor with a magnet - it follows the field.

The first two GPS screenshots are taken with and then without GNSS API enabled in the settings of GPStest. It took roughly the same time to get lock in both cases. I had to move to the garden to take these measurements, because the GPS receiver is too weak to pick up the signals from inside the house (the other old phones do it just fine...).

Just tested again lineage-14.1-20211013-UNOFFICIAL-n7100, which is the most stable and secure ROM for this phone at the moment (SELinux enforcing, recent patches, although no encryption). Both the compass and GPS work fine there; GPS loses lock every couple of minutes and acquires it straight away (inside the building).

All tests are done without assist data and without gapps.

All together, both GPS and compass are malfunctioning: GPS not sensitive enough and unstable (need to check my device with the stock ROM just in case...), while compass suffering some sort of access problems (a part of its API not working?).

On a positive side, both the GPS and compass sensor are alive in the first alpha of the ROM - there is a hope!

Screenshot_20220122-111616_GPSTest.png
    Screenshot_20220122-111842_GPSTest.png
    Screenshot_20220122-121042_GPSTest.png
    Screenshot_20220122-121101_Compass.png

Below is GPStest on the same phone, good old lineage-14.1-20211013-UNOFFICIAL-n7100, inside the building! It's working well. So, it looks like the hardware is not broken in my device...

Screenshot_20220122-175358.png

As I started digging into the treasures of old ROMs, this one came up:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-7-1-2-r24-lineageos-for-n7100-unofficial.3487568/
    https://web.archive.org/web/2020121...h/n7100/lineage-14.1-20171019-tilak-n7100.zip

GPS in it works better than in the updated LOS-14.1 mentioned above, loses lock less frequently. Compass and camera (with video) also work. More importantly, encryption works! Unfortunately, it doesn't have recent security patches and SELinux is set to permissive... I am writing this to provide references to the solutions which will need to be addressed again in this project.
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

Hi,

here you can find my version for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on LineageOS 19.0.
    At first I want to thank @rINanDO, @ChronoMonochrome for all your work which was reused here and helped a lot.

Attention: disable your SIM-PIN with a different device, otherwise it could get locked.

• Boot
    • Audio
    • Bluetooth
    • Graphics
    • Cameras
    • GPS
    • Wifi
    • USB
    • Video playback (HW/SW)
    • OTA Updates
    • Tethering via USB, WIFI and Bluetooth
    • Sensors, except compass
    • RIL
    • Screen Cast
    • SIM-PIN Unlock, disable your PIN Code before
    • NFC
    • Compass
    • Maybe random reboots
    • SD card can't be formated as internal memory, will cause a bootloop
    • Maybe more
    If you are going to use Gapps,
    I recommend to use the pico package!
    https://opengapps.org/
    For the others, you can use microG if you want, I've enabled signature spoofing.

Do you like my work?
    Than you can simply hit the thanks button and consider to spend me a coffee or a beer,
    I'm doing this in my free time and it also costs a lot of money to buy hardware.
    donate

Telegramm group:
    XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][12.x][N7100][ALPHA] LineageOS 19.0, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Contributors

html6405
    Source Code: https://github.com/html6405

ROM OS Version: 12.x S
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    ROM Firmware Required: TWRP 3.3.0
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Alpha

Created 2021-12-30
    Last Updated 2021-12-30
    You should be able to disable the always on display in the quick settings (AOD) and give your test a retry :).
    Just tried the AOD button: first enabled it and then disabled again... - it worked! Not sure, though, whether any of my previous attempts to modify the settings via adb played any role. I'll repeat timing of the battery with this setting. Thanks.
    Alternative download link for the initial version:
    It does work! I couldn't resist trying the future LOS19.

The overall impression is quite good, as the system seems to be more stable than the previous LOS18.1 for this phone. Still, the development options screen hanged a couple of times. At some point the system crashed and kept rebooting into recovery - fixed by erasing data partition. GPS works, although not well enough. The compass doesn't work in GPStest, but works in Compass app from Fdroid. I tried web browsing and viewing HD videos with Brave browser - very smooth experience. In order to access files on the phone I set up default USB mode in developer settings to files.

Two preinstalled applications are unsafe, contain trackers: camera and via. These had to be removed. Open Camera from Fdroid is installed - it works. The system web browser is preconfigured to ring Google; one may want to review its settings.

Installed Insular app (a sandbox made of the work profile) from Fdroid. The work profile works, but looses its filesystem after disabling and enabling it again. To bring the filesystem back reboot is required.

Phone encryption doesn't work, sadly. This is the same as with many previous custom ROMs for this phone.

A strange horizontal bar is seen at the bottom of the screen (nav bar home button??). Disable "Navigation hint" to get rid of it.

All together, it's an excellent result for the first attempt on LOS19. Looking forward to further releases!

Happy New Year everyone! Thank you html6405 for such an exciting present!
    You should be able to disable the always on display in the quick settings (AOD) and give your test a retry :).