[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][12]LineageOS 19.1 for Galaxy S20/S20+/S20 Ultra Exynos

Search This thread

ahgkkr

Apr 28, 2020
No one can, or should give you any guarantees. Install it and try it. You don't like it, you can always go back to your previous configuration - if you know what you're doing.
Nothing to lose, a lot to gain.
I was just curious about users' opinions. According to him, I did not want to waste time.

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
I was just curious about users' opinions. According to him, I did not want to waste time.
That's all we do here, my friend. We're "wasting" our time by burning our mutually shared passion. This is the place where you try and learn. At the end of the day we call it experience and satisfaction. If you don't see it that way, you're in the wrong place.

Not to mention that ¾ of your questions would have been answered if you went through the huge effort of reading through this very thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: zpunout

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
Apart from knox related stuff like, Spay, securefolder, shealth etc
Come on, man, really? If you want all Samsung's stuff then stay on the stock firmware - which actually is a really good option if you want to stay as close as possible to stock AND considering debloating, rooting and installing microG. If you want all Google's stuff, go get a Pixel. There is a reason for all these ROMs to be called CUSTOM. If the expectation was to retain all proprietary features with these custom ROMs, it definitely wasn't a realistic one.

Last edited:

master373

Feb 1, 2022
Come on, man, really? If you want all Samsung's stuff then stay on the stock firmware - otherwise a really good option if you consider debloating, rooting and microG. If you want all Google's stuff, go get a Pixel. There is a reason for all these ROMs to be called CUSTOM. If the expectation was to retain all proprietary features with these custom ROMs, it definitely wasn't a realistic one.
No i mean if he decides go back to stock ROM than he should keep that in mind. Just saying

buzzsaw891

May 20, 2019
After a lot of tinkering around, finally EVERYTHING works flawlessly - in some regards much better that the stock firmware.

I've never cared about VoLTE or Wi-Fi calling, so these "shortcomings" don't affect me at all. If anything, I have had 6 things to gripe about:
  1. Camera was definitely one of them however, after extensive testing I've settled for Open Camera which works quite well. In fact, other than somewhat excessive noise in low light (which can easily be corrected with Snapseed), and a buggy panoramic mode, everything works just fine. GCam just doesn't work for me, so please don't bother suggesting it. I know some people swear by it but for me it's a no, no. Other camera apps that would be worth trying: Secure Camera (Graphene OS), Libre Camera and Simple Camera.
  2. [Edited - Solved :)] Additional touch / About 50% of time, the app on the main screen, directly behind the fingerprint sensor would get launched when the screen gets unlocked - which was hellishly frustrating. In other words, the fingerprint reader registers an additional touch immediately after the screen gets unlocked. The fingerprint reader works wonders and it's definitely faster than the stock ROM however, this bug must be addressed asap. (Solution) I've created a simple task in Tasker, for an overlay scene to obscure (mask) the area on the screen directly behind the fingerprint reader, which then it's automatically destroyed 600 ms after unlocking the screen. The described issue is specific to Nova. Trebuchet, the build-in launcher doesn't seem to have this issue.
  3. [Edited - Solved :)] TWRP / While the developers may very well have their own technical reasons for adopting a proprietary recovery, not having the ability to create a nandroid (full image of all partitions) that could be saved, transferred and later reinstalled after a full wipe (or after two weeks of tweaking and configuring), in itself, would have been a deal breaker for me. The built-in SeedVault backup is a joke by comparison since none of the system-level configurations (root, Magisk modules, LSPosed, device-protected data, external data, obb, etc.) can be saved through the built-in backup. (Solution) Although I haven't yet restored a nandroid backup, it seems that flashing the appropriate TWRP through Odin works just fine - that's true ONLY after doing a full data wipe and manually installing, configuring and customizing the ROM - while using Lineage recovery.
  4. [Edited - Solved :)] The partial-screenshot implementation is awful and yet another reason for frustration. While I do understand the privacy concerns behind this idea, the implementation is horrible, even for someone with high technical skills. 90% of users trying this feature would probably end up throwing the phone out the window. (Solution) You can get unrestricted screenshots, theming, UI customizations and much more through a Magisk/LSPosed module called AOSPMods
  5. [Edited - Solved :)] The screen casting no longer works directly, as it was the case with Smart View on stock Android. The phone needs to be paired with a smart TV through WiFi Direct and then the screen cast itself is taken care of by a nice (paid) app called BubbleUPnP. Once the setup was completed, subsequent casting is a breeze and in some regards it's even better that the stock Smart View.
  6. If you're like me and you're bothered by the nonsensical privacy Location indicators that keep on showing a green "Location" button alongside the green indicator in the right corner of the status bar every single time an app or service is accessing location in the background (overly annoying once you notice it), you can re enable the on/off switch in Developer Options (inexplicably removed by the developers of this ROM) with the following adb command:
    Code:
    adb shell cmd device_config put privacy location_indicator_settings_enabled true default
    The option needs to be disabled after each reboot as it'll turns back on automatically. Bump! 😬
In conclusion:
  • The ROM is very stable,
  • Rooted (Magisk adb sideload) without any hickups,
  • MicroG works perfectly fine.
  • All (tried) Magisk modules worked without any problems and yes,
  • Even LSPosed (XPosed) works just fine (I know I just opened up Pandora's box but I wanted to share with the community that it does work, apparently without causing any exctinction-level events. 😉
So, can this Lineage release be a very satisfying daily driver? I should say yes, but with some slight reservations. The amount of customization and tweaks needed for the ROM to work flawlessly are quite extensive - some users might just be put off by all this "extra" work however, the final result is quite satisfying. The ROM is very stable & fully featured, it played nicely with every single app I've installed, it's very responsive, snappy I should say, and it's definitely far better than stock in regards to privacy and security.

Below is a list of suggestions & features that didn't work for me (to be continually updated):
  • Screen Cast (doesn't work on newer TVs however, it does work with Roku) - see the potential solution above.
  • WI-Fi Direct (hit & miss)
  • Apps with embedded (web view) Google Maps won't display the map (this seems to be a newly imposed AOSP restriction, so it's present in the A12 stock ROM as well) - although a solution does exist to that too 😎.
  • The Alarm displayed on Lockscreen & AOD is always wrong, thus meaningless. I would suggest either removing it altogether, or provide ways to toggle off the notification (especially when the native alarm/clock is not being used).
  • Native UI customization from Lineage 17 were inexplicably removed and although the above solution works, it forces users to install LSPosed.

This ROM is now my daily driver and honestly, I can't wait for the Lineage 20 release - especially given the tons of added features - I've read about - including a new, improved native camera.

A big thank you to the developers and all contributors for such a great ROM. 👍
Not all cameras works on opencamera, the biggest sacrifice
VoLte let you call friends without lose internet on cellular, good feature

I understand you for VoWifi but for others, it make the rom very uncomfortable to use

matlhari

Sep 7, 2016
A bit of a noob question but do I need to download the Gapps or can I install them separately as APK files? The file download keeps failing for some reason.

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
It's entirely up to you. Personally, I avoid installing anything Google - hence using LineageOS. The trickiest one to install, as a stand alone app, also the most privacy invasive, is Google Play Store. If you care about your privacy, avoid it at all cost. As the most reliable and trusted alternative, I would suggest Aurora Store (microG). Of course, you'll need to be rooted to install microG. Other recommend FOSS stores: F-droid, Neo Store.
Every other GApp (Google Apps) can be installed as an apk (user app).
A bit of a noob question but do I need to download the Gapps or can I install them separately as APK files? The file download keeps failing for some reason.

Last edited:

twolitrepinto

Jan 3, 2016
Same here, looking forward to it!

Been using this ROM and the 18.1 version before it for a while now and I love it.

Only a few issues i have that i hope might be fixed in a future release...

1: Maximum loudspeaker volume is much quieter than on the stock rom.

2: Camera is poor quality.

3: USB-C audio still doesn't work for me but it's possible that my usb-c to hdmi adapter just doesn't work.

4: Could never get screen casting to work.

All in all though still a great ROM to use with microG.
Great battery life and performance improvement over the stock bloated ROMs.
You don't even need signature spoofing for microG anymore if you install Lsposed and FakeGapps. So much easier than patching the ROM and does the job well.

P.s any chance of being unbanned from the telegram group? I was banned ages ago, don't even know why 😅

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now

1. Purchase the license from Google Play Store and install Bubble UPnP.
2. Go to say, YouTube app, and share the video you want to cast on your TV.
3. When presented with the choice, pick Bubble UpNP as the casting app.
4. From within the Bubble UpNP app, click on the casting icon (bottom tool bar), wait until Bubble UpNP finds your TV and once found, click on it.

That's it! 😄

Note: you do NOT need the built-in casting, or Wi-Fi Direct features at all. Just follow the steps above, without initiating any of the built-in features.

I have no association whatsoever, with Bubble UpNP app, so this is not a promotional message in any way, shape or form!

Last edited:

Amosika

Feb 8, 2016
Kumasi
LG V50 ThinQ
OnePlus 7 Pro
Hi,

Just a quick question: Do you plan on releasing an A13 ROM for the S20 Series?

Thanks in advance.

BLKSL8
no, after one ui 5, samsung has killed aosp development for its devices with one ui 5 update. untill someone figure out how to break this dead lock and get aosp to boot, aosp is dead for samsung phones and people are locked down to one ui

Reactions: BlaqqSL8

Amosika

Feb 8, 2016
Kumasi
LG V50 ThinQ
OnePlus 7 Pro
Same here, looking forward to it!

Been using this ROM and the 18.1 version before it for a while now and I love it.

Only a few issues i have that i hope might be fixed in a future release...

1: Maximum loudspeaker volume is much quieter than on the stock rom.

2: Camera is poor quality.

3: USB-C audio still doesn't work for me but it's possible that my usb-c to hdmi adapter just doesn't work.

All in all though still a great ROM to use with microG.
Great battery life and performance improvement over the stock bloated ROMs.
You don't even need signature spoofing for microG anymore if you install Lsposed and FakeGapps. So much easier than patching the ROM and does the job well.

P.s any chance of being unbanned from the telegram group? I was banned ages ago, don't even know why 😅
there is not going to be any updates as of now since some id*t at samsung thinks his decision is the best and has kill aosp support for all samsung phones with oneui 5 update. developers cant get aosp to boot again after oneui 5 update and we are doomed util they find a way out

Rocky7842

there is not going to be any updates as of now since some id*t at samsung thinks his decision is the best and has kill aosp support for all samsung phones with oneui 5 update. developers cant get aosp to boot again after oneui 5 update and we are doomed util they find a way out
Is that true? As I saw the developers are using vender blobs and kernel sources from oneui 5.1 builds. (Although that doesn't necessarily mean the firmware needs to be the same version.)
If it's indeed true, that would be too bad.... I always love Samsung's design/build quality, but their OS is just not my style.

Reactions: elfico and BlaqqSL8

Rocky7842

I have the S20 (SM-G980F), which is the x1s however, for some reason the installer stops with an error saying that I was trying to flash the wrong build. Strangely enough, I would be able to flash the S20 Ultra (z3s) build, which seems to be working fine however the camera doesn't work at all - the app freezes upon lunch.
Any suggestions? Thanks!
I guess you've accidentally installed the recovery that's made for z3s?

BlaqqSL8

Jul 15, 2020
no, after one ui 5, samsung has killed aosp development for its devices with one ui 5 update. untill someone figure out how to break this dead lock and get aosp to boot, aosp is dead for samsung phones and people are locked down to one ui
Thanks for replying.

Thank you for a phenomenal rom! It's been the daily driver on my S20+ 5G (SM-G986B) since day one, and I could not be happier! It's smooth, snappy, and the battery efficiency is just beyond brilliant - <0.3% per hour battery usage in standby is outstanding!!!

I'm gutted about what you say about Samsung killing ASOP on it's phones, Especially as I've been trawling the web for a good deal on an S22+ 5G. That's now a complete non starter and, sadly, my S20+ 5G will be my last Samsung phone.

I'd appreciate your (and that of other readers) recommendations re: an alternative Android flagship - the only caveats being that it must have an SD card slot, and there must be custom roms available for it\them.

Anyhoo, thanks again for this brilliant rom, and thanks in advance for help in finding an alternative.

BLKSL8

Reactions: elfico

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1607247455067.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 12, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions:
    • Follow the instructions here

Downloads:

Reporting Bugs
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're using TWRP
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log

Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
    restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

Support
    Telegram group

Contributors
    DeHuMaNiZeD
    Linux4
    Synt4x.93
    Alastor89

Device tree and kernel source code:
    Exynoobs github
    Requirements:
    • S based firmware (OneUI4)

Pre-Install Instructions

Warning: The following instructions will unlock the bootloader and wipe all userdata on the device.

1. Connect the device to a Wi-Fi network.
    2. Enable Developer Options by pressing the “Build Number” option in the “Settings” app within the “About” menu
      • From within the Developer options menu, enable OEM unlock.
    3. Power off the device, and boot it into download mode:
      • With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Volume Up and connect USB cable to PC.
      • Now, click the button that the onscren instructions coorelate to “Continue” and/or “Unlock Bootloader”.
    4. Your device will reboot, you may now unplug the USB cable from your device.
    5. The device will demand you format userdata, please follow the onscreen instructions to do so.
    6. Run through Android Setup skipping everything you can, then connect the device to a Wi-Fi network.
    7. Re-enable Development settings by clicking the “Build Number” option 10 times, in the “Settings” app within the “About” menu, and verify that “OEM Unlock” is still enabled in the “Developer options” menu.

Installing LineageOS for the first time
    1. Flash lineage recovery
      Only the provided lineage recovery will be supported,
      using TWRP might result in a possible data loss!!

If using Odin rename the lineage recovery image for your model to recovery.img and add it to a .tar archive using e.g 7zip.
      If using Heimdall use: heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img --no-reboot
    2. Boot lineage recovery
      IMPORTANT: Do not boot into system again before booting recovery, or system will restore stock recovery!
      If using Odin untick auto-reboot before flashing.
      After flashing reboot by pressing Volume Down and Power for approximately 7 seconds,
      immediately hold Volume Up and Power to boot recovery
      IMPORTANT: As of OneUI 3 your device needs to be connected to a PC via USB cable in order to be able to
      boot recovery via Volume Up and Power.
    3. Factory reset using Factory reset -> Format data/factory reset
      Warning: Unlike TWRP this will also erase internal storage!
    4. Sideload LineageOS by enabling sideload via Apply Update -> Apply from ADB
      Then run adb sideload <path to your lineage.zip> on your PC
      Optional:
    5. Sideload GApps and magisk by repeating above step
      with their zip/apk
    Known issues:
    • VoLTE/VoWiFi
    • Google maps

Firmware upgrade instructions:
    • Get the latest firmware for your device here
    • Follow the provided instruction for flashing with Heimdall
    After a lot of tinkering around, finally EVERYTHING works flawlessly - in some regards much better that the stock firmware.

I've never cared about VoLTE or Wi-Fi calling, so these "shortcomings" don't affect me at all. If anything, I have had 6 things to gripe about:
    1. Camera was definitely one of them however, after extensive testing I've settled for Open Camera which works quite well. In fact, other than somewhat excessive noise in low light (which can easily be corrected with Snapseed), and a buggy panoramic mode, everything works just fine. GCam just doesn't work for me, so please don't bother suggesting it. I know some people swear by it but for me it's a no, no. Other camera apps that would be worth trying: Secure Camera (Graphene OS), Libre Camera and Simple Camera.
    2. [Edited - Solved :)] Additional touch / About 50% of time, the app on the main screen, directly behind the fingerprint sensor would get launched when the screen gets unlocked - which was hellishly frustrating. In other words, the fingerprint reader registers an additional touch immediately after the screen gets unlocked. The fingerprint reader works wonders and it's definitely faster than the stock ROM however, this bug must be addressed asap. (Solution) I've created a simple task in Tasker, for an overlay scene to obscure (mask) the area on the screen directly behind the fingerprint reader, which then it's automatically destroyed 600 ms after unlocking the screen. The described issue is specific to Nova. Trebuchet, the build-in launcher doesn't seem to have this issue.
    3. [Edited - Solved :)] TWRP / While the developers may very well have their own technical reasons for adopting a proprietary recovery, not having the ability to create a nandroid (full image of all partitions) that could be saved, transferred and later reinstalled after a full wipe (or after two weeks of tweaking and configuring), in itself, would have been a deal breaker for me. The built-in SeedVault backup is a joke by comparison since none of the system-level configurations (root, Magisk modules, LSPosed, device-protected data, external data, obb, etc.) can be saved through the built-in backup. (Solution) Although I haven't yet restored a nandroid backup, it seems that flashing the appropriate TWRP through Odin works just fine - that's true ONLY after doing a full data wipe and manually installing, configuring and customizing the ROM - while using Lineage recovery. I have restored saved nandroid backups a few times and it works flawlessly. The partitions required to be restored are: system, data and boot.
    4. [Edited - Solved :)] The partial-screenshot implementation is awful and yet another reason for frustration. While I do understand the privacy concerns behind this idea, the implementation is horrible, even for someone with high technical skills. 90% of users trying this feature would probably end up throwing the phone out the window. (Solution) You can get unrestricted screenshots, theming, UI customizations and much more through a Magisk/LSPosed module called AOSPMods
    5. [Edited - Solved :)] The screen casting no longer works directly, as it was the case with Smart View on stock Android. The screen cast itself is taken care of by a nice (paid) app called BubbleUPnP. Once the setup was completed, subsequent casting is a breeze and in some regards it's even better that the stock Smart View. The built-in Wi-Fi direct & Screen Casting functions don't seem to be needed at all.
    6. If you're like me and you're bothered by the nonsensical privacy Location indicators that keep on showing a green "Location" button alongside the green indicator in the right corner of the status bar every single time an app or service is accessing location in the background (overly annoying once you notice it), you can re enable the on/off switch in Developer Options (inexplicably removed by the developers of this ROM) with the following adb command:
      Code:
      adb shell cmd device_config put privacy location_indicator_settings_enabled true default
      The option needs to be disabled after each reboot as it'll turns back on automatically. Bump! 😬
    In conclusion:
    • The ROM is very stable,
    • Rooted (Magisk adb sideload) without any hiccups,
    • MicroG works perfectly fine.
    • All (tried) Magisk modules worked without any problems and yes,
    • Even LSPosed (XPosed) works just fine (I know I just opened up Pandora's box but I wanted to share with the community that it does work, apparently without causing any extinction-level events. 😉
    So, can this Lineage release be a very satisfying daily driver? I should say yes, but with some slight reservations. The amount of customization and tweaks needed for the ROM to work flawlessly are quite extensive - some users might just be put off by all this "extra" work however, the final result is quite satisfying. The ROM is very stable & fully featured, it played nicely with every single app I've installed, it's very responsive, snappy I should say, and it's definitely far better than stock in regards to privacy and security.

Below is a list of suggestions & features that didn't work for me (to be continually updated):
    • Screen Cast (doesn't work on newer TVs however, it does work with Roku) - see the potential solution above.
    • WI-Fi Direct (hit & miss, mostly miss)
    • Apps with embedded (web view) Google Maps won't display the map (this seems to be a newly imposed AOSP restriction, so it's present in the A12 stock ROM as well) - although a solution does exist to that too 😎.
    • The Alarm displayed on Lockscreen & AOD is always wrong, thus meaningless. I would suggest either removing it altogether, or provide ways to toggle off the notification (especially when the native alarm/clock is not being used).
    • Native UI customization from Lineage 17 were inexplicably removed and although the above solution works, it forces users to install LSPosed.

This ROM is now my daily driver and honestly, I can't wait for the Lineage 20 release - especially given the tons of added features - I've read about - including a new, improved native camera. Unfortunately there won't be a Lineage 20 release for our phones, apparently due to Samsung's restrictions in regard to OneUI v.5.

A big thank you to the developers and all contributors for such a great ROM. 👍
    New builds are up, there were alot of changes, please read the changelog on https://exynoobs.github.io/OTA and enjoy. :)