[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][12L][EAS][SM-T820][SM-T825][2022-09-23] LineageOS 19.1 for Galaxy Tab S3

Search This thread

Malykont

Oct 15, 2010
After updating to 6/11 the fingerprint scanner stopped working. Are others experiencing the same?

Also, volume from the speakers seems low. I have to crank it up most of the way (3/4 from max volume or so) watching YouTube to get a normal voice level. Is there any way to boost this?

After updating to 6/11 the fingerprint scanner stopped working. Are others experiencing the same?

Also, volume from the speakers seems low. I have to crank it up most of the way (3/4 from max volume or so) watching YouTube to get a normal voice level. Is there any way to boost this?
Are you update it from the first version? If so, maybe you can follow this instruction.

If you are using the first version (220320), you have to clean install to this version or you may fail to unlock the screen , you have to boot into TWRP and remove the file `locksettings.db` under `/data/system` directory. This will resolve the unlock failure issue after dirty-flashing it.
-> https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-19-1-for-galaxy-tab-s3.4418855/post-86605955

What about ram expansion? Is it possible to use this feature in this rom?
As far as I know, it is not implemented for the custom ROMs. Is there a ROM on XDA? Then I will look into that.

Zatoichi.88

Jun 30, 2022
As far as I know, it is not implemented for the custom ROMs. Is there a ROM on XDA? Then I will look into that.
If you can add this feature it ll be great, as you know 4gb ram is not enough

I'm not sure but I saw something, let me share with you:

1) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-pixelextended-v2-1-for-miatoll-android-11.4162773/
OGHyperion's second post. It says:
* Increase ZRAM to 2GB
* Tune zram performance

2) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ng-ota-updates-for-s8-s8-note8.4370377/page-8
Ivan_Meler's post. It says: Improved zram performance and enabled zram writeback

3) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ribute-for-google-pixel-4a-a11-a12-l.4258269/
momojuro's first post. It says:
Increase zRAM's disksize to 4GB (from the stock 2GB). Apps can be easily memory intensive nowadays...

4) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/custom-rom-for-sm-m015g-f.4313567/
(Sri Lanka)'s first post. It says:
*Increased Zram (Swap) to 4GB

5) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...gcam-performance.4219081/page-8#post-85763431
Sjll's post. It says:
1012 Update:
Enable 4GB Extended RAM/Virtual RAM/Swapfile ZRAM.

6) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-06-2022-sm-n960f-fd-n-sm-g96xf-fd-n.4244747/
AlexisXDA's first post. It says:
Protect Battery option and RAM Plus Enabled

7) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-v7-4-oneui3-1-updated-on-10-05-2022.4239991/
Subodh.993435's first post. It says:
RAM Plus Workaround For supported kernel

And so on...

Reactions: Malykont

Both fine on my T825 as well

Malykont

Oct 15, 2010
Thanks for all responses. I flashed 6/11 on top of the previous Alpha release without formatting everything, looks like that's what I'll do when the next update comes out. I'll check the suggested workaround to get the fingerprint scanner working again in the meanwhile.

The volume was low on the Alpha as well though. It is not like there is no sound coming out from the thing, just that on most devices (Pixel 3XL, laptops, etc.) I don't have to go above 1/3 volume to get a reasonable noise levels out.

@Awesometic fyi: my T825 had no more freezes or necessity to force reboot since I didn't turn off WiFi any longer. Until then sometimes more than trice a day.

Today I've noticed that headphone jack output is significantly lower than speaker or USB output.
The last two can be loud enough.
Headphones volume via jack is on max setting less than half as loud like it's on USB (same headphone).
Do you know which parameter in mixer_paths_tasha.xml I have to change to pump up jack loudness?

If you can add this feature it ll be great, as you know 4gb ram is not enough

I'm not sure but I saw something, let me share with you:

1) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-pixelextended-v2-1-for-miatoll-android-11.4162773/
OGHyperion's second post. It says:
* Increase ZRAM to 2GB
* Tune zram performance

2) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ng-ota-updates-for-s8-s8-note8.4370377/page-8
Ivan_Meler's post. It says: Improved zram performance and enabled zram writeback

3) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ribute-for-google-pixel-4a-a11-a12-l.4258269/
momojuro's first post. It says:
Increase zRAM's disksize to 4GB (from the stock 2GB). Apps can be easily memory intensive nowadays...

4) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/custom-rom-for-sm-m015g-f.4313567/
(Sri Lanka)'s first post. It says:
*Increased Zram (Swap) to 4GB

5) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...gcam-performance.4219081/page-8#post-85763431
Sjll's post. It says:
1012 Update:
Enable 4GB Extended RAM/Virtual RAM/Swapfile ZRAM.

6) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-06-2022-sm-n960f-fd-n-sm-g96xf-fd-n.4244747/
AlexisXDA's first post. It says:
Protect Battery option and RAM Plus Enabled

7) https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-v7-4-oneui3-1-updated-on-10-05-2022.4239991/
Subodh.993435's first post. It says:
RAM Plus Workaround For supported kernel

And so on...

Oh, thank you for researching.
It seems there are two types of "plus" memory.

1. ZRAM
2. RAM Plus

First of all, fortunately, I have already enabled ZRAM for our device.
I merged essential/tweak patches from LOS's kernel and it uses OnePlus 3 script when it comes to enabling ZRAM at the boot time. Consequently, it spaces 2 GB for the ZRAM.

And the RAM Plus, it seems it is only supported when the original firmware supports it in advance. The OTA firmware support implies that the kernel also has the feature for that.
So I think it is very hard to port that feature to ours.

@Awesometic fyi: my T825 had no more freezes or necessity to force reboot since I didn't turn off WiFi any longer. Until then sometimes more than trice a day.

Today I've noticed that headphone jack output is significantly lower than speaker or USB output.
The last two can be loud enough.
Headphones volume via jack is on max setting less than half as loud like it's on USB (same headphone).
Do you know which parameter in mixer_paths_tasha.xml I have to change to pump up jack loudness?

I have found which parameter controls the headphone volume and applied a new patch to my device tree.
And I also created some patches, after finishing the test I will release the new version.
I think it'd be great if will have a July 2022 security patch.

Dwightsch

May 9, 2020
Hi awesometic. Thank you again for your great effort.
Been using this rom since last release. Idle battery drain, overall performance regarding everyday tasks are unbelievably better than the official rom.
I just have a question, i constantly get errors for QTI Power HAL and WIFI Vendor HAL errors in logcat. Do you know anything about this or have i done something wrong?

-Plus while using the stylus in apps like xodo or even testing drawing apps with touch (for testing) some wierd unexpectable glitches and lags happen when device resources seem not to be the bottleneck. Is it related to GPU rendering of these vectors and stuff or something else wrong ? Have you encountered this using apps like xodo?

-if it's just a matter of inclusion, can we have Wireguard kernel module?

One other request, can you include AOSPA tweaks to the rom in the future? I don't know much about it but evidently it's very smooth and performs great on mediocre snapdragon SoCs. I can attest to that with a very alpha build on my old xiaomi k20 pro.

Thank you again so much for resurrecting this device
Wish you all the best 🌹

Zatoichi.88

Jun 30, 2022
Oh, thank you for researching.
It seems there are two types of "plus" memory.

1. ZRAM
2. RAM Plus

First of all, fortunately, I have already enabled ZRAM for our device.
I merged essential/tweak patches from LOS's kernel and it uses OnePlus 3 script when it comes to enabling ZRAM at the boot time. Consequently, it spaces 2 GB for the ZRAM.

And the RAM Plus, it seems it is only supported when the original firmware supports it in advance. The OTA firmware support implies that the kernel also has the feature for that.
So I think it is very hard to port that feature to ours.
You are right there personally I don't even notice much difference enabling zRAM to tell if is activated. Can you share how to disable it?

Actually if we can ''find a solution for RAM Plus'', it ll work.

Otherwise zRAM doesn't make any sense.

If we are looking for more ram space maybe we should use Kernel samepage merging (KSM) if our kernel supports, it should be in performance memory management.

As you know with Android, there is no swap partition, and therefore brings zRAM also no performance boost.
The only thing that brings zRAM is more ram. Compressed by the enlarged so to speak of the available memory. That's on devices with little RAM <512mb also pretty useful. After you activate the zRAM also has two disadvantages. The encoding and decoding using CPU time, which in turn has higher power consumption. Despite its name, zRAM has little to with RAM except that it uses it. zRAM is a block device in ram which can be used only for swap purposes. It acts as a swap file however is not on disk but in ram where the blocks are compressed, so not using the size they would use on uncompressed devices, like a disk.
Roughly one can say (For devices with more than 1gb ram): Without zRAM: + CPU Performance | + Battery | RAM
With zRAM: CPU Performance |-Battery | + RAM
Check whether you can zRAM runs in the terminal with free or cat/proc/meminfo

Last edited:

etere

Dec 28, 2008
... I don't know.... I use the excellent latest version and bar aside, everything works wonderfully..... until I decide to leave the tablet in idle: reboot continue! If, on the other hand, I turn it off every time and the next time I use it again, it works regularly!

Hi awesometic. Thank you again for your great effort.
Been using this rom since last release. Idle battery drain, overall performance regarding everyday tasks are unbelievably better than the official rom.
I just have a question, i constantly get errors for QTI Power HAL and WIFI Vendor HAL errors in logcat. Do you know anything about this or have i done something wrong?

-Plus while using the stylus in apps like xodo or even testing drawing apps with touch (for testing) some wierd unexpectable glitches and lags happen when device resources seem not to be the bottleneck. Is it related to GPU rendering of these vectors and stuff or something else wrong ? Have you encountered this using apps like xodo?

-if it's just a matter of inclusion, can we have Wireguard kernel module?

One other request, can you include AOSPA tweaks to the rom in the future? I don't know much about it but evidently it's very smooth and performs great on mediocre snapdragon SoCs. I can attest to that with a very alpha build on my old xiaomi k20 pro.

Thank you again so much for resurrecting this device
Wish you all the best 🌹

Thank you :)

- Yeah for me those messages appear in my logcat too. Fortunately, it may imply there are some features that cannot be activated but it seems not harmful.

- I don't have experience with Xodo, I will try and will look into why it happens.

- I have merged Wireguard driver and its improvement patches from LineageOS kernel. It should work well.

- AOSPA tweaks, yeah I can apply them. Can you tell me a little about the patches AOSPA provides?

You are right there personally I don't even notice much difference enabling zRAM to tell if is activated. Can you share how to disable it?

Actually if we can ''find a solution for RAM Plus'', it ll work.

Otherwise zRAM doesn't make any sense.

If we are looking for more ram space maybe we should use Kernel samepage merging (KSM) if our kernel supports, it should be in performance memory management.

As you know with Android, there is no swap partition, and therefore brings zRAM also no performance boost.
The only thing that brings zRAM is more ram. Compressed by the enlarged so to speak of the available memory. That's on devices with little RAM <512mb also pretty useful. After you activate the zRAM also has two disadvantages. The encoding and decoding using CPU time, which in turn has higher power consumption. Despite its name, zRAM has little to with RAM except that it uses it. zRAM is a block device in ram which can be used only for swap purposes. It acts as a swap file however is not on disk but in ram where the blocks are compressed, so not using the size they would use on uncompressed devices, like a disk.
Roughly one can say (For devices with more than 1gb ram): Without zRAM: + CPU Performance | + Battery | RAM
With zRAM: CPU Performance |-Battery | + RAM
Check whether you can zRAM runs in the terminal with free or cat/proc/meminfo

Great analytics 😮

I agree with you. But I think we need zRAM anyway because recent resources from the various applications are too large. 😅 So I enabled zRAM even though it consumes more battery and reduces its performance slightly.

But yeah, we still can disable zRAM. You have to 'root' the device, then you can disable zRAM using a kernel auditor app.

The new version is uploaded.

With this version, I have added support for Sony DualShock 4 gamepad. I confirmed it's working, simply using the touchpad on it and the buttons and it is quite interesting.

And I increased the headphone jack volume too. I think now it gets enough to listen to something but I need feedback from the users.

Check out changelogs, and enjoy the new ROM.

@Awesometic thx very much.
Kind of clean (wiped all but Data) installed flashing ROM, Gapps+Magisk.
Headphones loudness better but could imo still be increased compared to LOS18.1 on I9195.
Coffee is on its way (didn't know paypal ads 20% 😡).

Thank you :)

How much do you think about the headphone jack volume? Increasing about 10% could be enough?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Great Rom.
    Realy appreciate it!

But how do I disable the lower bar with the button's?
    View attachment 5747655
    awesometic wrote this on the first page how to do that:

• You can hide the soft nav buttons on the bottom bar. This is the workaround.
      • 1. Go to "System -> Buttons" and check "Enable on-screen nav bar" to enable soft nav bar temporarily
      • 2. Go to "System -> Gestures" and set "System navigation" to "Gesture navigation"
      • 3. Go back to "System -> Buttons" and check "Enable on-screen nav bar" again to disable soft nav bar and enable hardware key.
    • You can hide the bottom Taskbar. This is the workaround.
      • 1. Go to "System -> Buttons" and check "Enable on-screen nav bar" to enable soft nav bar temporarily
      • 2. Go back using navigation bar and go to the "Buttons" menu again
      • 3. Then we can see the "Enable taskbar" option that we couldn't see before. Disable that option.
      • 4. And disable "Enable on-screen nav bar" option again to use the hardware buttons back.
    Hello again,
    a few days ago I build this ROM again with the latest sources to provide my good old device with a update. I have included the latest kernel from awesometic which is currently only used with LOS 20. Additionally I have applied the patch mentioned last time to enhance palm rejection when using the pen.

On my Tab all is running very well. Unfortunately I could not install it straight forward. I had to wipe system and cache before. Then I installed ROM and GApps afterwards. Otherwise I ran into bootloops. So dirty flashing is okay when wiping system and cache.

Download
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgBELbH5Ycnt0RKSPGXy2r0FXd_i?e=F4OVNL

Changes
    • October security patches
    • Latest kernel
    • Enhanced palm rejection
    Install
    1. Wipe system & cache
    2. Install ROM
    3. Install GApps if you want
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty will be VOID after installing a custom ROM.
    * Get notified yourself that I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications,
    * and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device,
    * I will laugh at you.
    */

# LineageOS

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

# What's working
    • Display/Touchscreen
      • LiveDisplay
    • Audio playback
      • Dolby Atmos
      • Headphone/Headset
      • Quad speakers
    • Video playback
      • HDR
    • Camera
    • Microphone
    • Sensors
    • Fingerprint sensor
    • GPS
    • LTE (SM-T825)
    • Hotspot
    • WiFi
    • WiFi display
    • Bluetooth
    • DRM
      • Widevine L1
    • USB ADB/MTP
    • Samsung Doze
    • S-Pen
      • Palm rejection
    • Hardware Encryption
      • MDFPP
    • SD Card
    • Power-off mode charging
    # Untested
    • FBE for userdata
    # What's not working
    • USB OTG
    • SELinux permissive
    • Please see the "Known issues" part of this post

# Downloads

## LineageOS 19.1

## Google Apps
    • NikGapps
    • The other Gapps will work too, but I only confirmed that NikGapps working

## TWRP Recovery

# How to install
    1. Unlock the bootloader.
    2. Download TWRP and flash the recovery image via Odin.
    3. Download LineageOS 19.1 for Galaxy Tab S3.
      • Be aware of the board name.
    4. Download GAPPS for Android 12L and the others you want to flash.
    5. Enter TWRP recovery.
      • The first boot to TWRP might be very slow because of the unmatched file systems.
    6. Format the whole system, data, cache partitions using the format menu.
      • You will type `yes` to do that.
    7. Flash the images.
      • If you're going to install GApps or something, you have to install the LineageOS first.
    8. Reboot the system.
    9. Done.

# Known issues
    • Camera somewhat buggy
      • The built-in camera application (Camera2) is not working well. You can use another camera application like OpenCamera.
      • Sometimes the camera doesn't work after booting. You can fix that back by just rebooting.
      • After using the camera application, the Torch tile on the quick settings not working. But you can use the camera anyway.
      • On webcam chat apps, there is a vertical green bar and the color is not properly displayed.
    • Audio bugs
      • No sound for the microphone and speaker in voice calls, such as the regular phone call or voice chat with a meeting app.
    • Thank all of you for the feedback

# Sources

# Telegram Groups
    • If you are interested in developing this potential machine, please tell me through PM then I will send you the invitation link.
    • If you need a general discussion channel for this potential machine or want to share the news of its Android projects from anyone to everyone, you can join our discussion group chat.

# Buy me a coffee

# Credits / Special thanks to
    • Android Open Source Project
    • LineageOS Team
    • LOS17.1) @Valera1978 for his amazing previous work including his MSM8996 kernel
    • LOS18.1) @supermike86 and @samsuffit for testing LineageOS 18.1 for T820, which is I don't have one
    • LOS18.1) @bmwdroid and @cherepanov for confirming the LTE works
    • LOS18.1) @sebmue for letting me know that the useful information for palm rejection, and @ghostwheel for sharing its working source codes on Android 9
    • General) @switchgott for helping me in the development discussion and creating Telegram groups
    • General) All from our Telegram discussion channel, @EonOfBlack , Sands, David Becker, ...
    • LOS18.1) @LuK1337 for giving me a hint to fix the quad-speakers
    • LOS19.1) @followmsi , @html6405 , @ThE_MarD for giving me a hint to bring up Android 12
    • LOS19.1) @masdaster for the fix of MDFPP Keystore on our device
    The new version of LineageOS 19 is uploaded now.

This version has upstream LineageOS changes that comes with Android 12.1 r22, and a fix for Keystore to use hardware encryption in Samsung way properly.

In the first LineageOS 19.1 version, it uses some special files from the other partition but for some reason, it broke the boot sequence because of the delay and the permission issues. So I broke the loading of that special files and it would fix that boot failure problem.

Now, thanks to @masdaster , I can fix the boot failure and finally we can use the proper hardware encryption.

Thank you, and please note that the changelogs to fix the lock screen issue caused by changing the Keystore method.
    Hello all,

After numerous tries, I could fix the camera and the Bluetooth/Headphone jack audio working.

The camera is back, but still has some bugs, unfortunately.
    First, we can't use the default camera app, Camera2. It takes a shot but the result is cracked. But we can use a third party app like OpenCamera.
    And, there is something weird on the Torch. After using the camera with the flashlight, sometimes the Torch tile on the quick settings is broken, it just said "camera in use". But we still can use the camera.
    Lastly, sometimes the camera doesn't work at all after rebooting. Fortunately, it is easily fixed by rebooting again. I don't know why it is well.

Now our audio HAL is built from the source. Previously, we were using audio HAL version 4.0 which is for Android 9 but now we're using version 6.0 which is for Android 11. I can move on to version 7.0, yeah, which is for Android 12, but from this version the configurations have to be modified in many ways so I just pended it.
    I had to supplement some audio configurations because of the compatibility of each version, maybe some audio scenarios were broken compared to our LineageOS 18.1. But I confirmed for most used scenarios like the quad-speaker, Bluetooth audio, headphone jack, and wireless display audio, so in most cases it will work well.

I think, we can deprecate our LineageOS 18.1 now because our LOS 19.1 has no fewer features than LOS 18.1. :)
    ## Changelogs
    • 2022. 9. 23
      • Synced with the latest LineageOS 19.1 repositories
        • Security patch by September 5, 2022

• 2022. 8. 15
        • android-12.1.0_r22
        • Security patch by August 5, 2022
      • About Keystore, switch to use MDFPP skeymast files again.
        • This will break your lock screen. Please remove `/data/system/locksettings.db` file using TWRP, then lock screen will be fixed and your biometric information will be removed. Please reset your biometric lock method again. Sorry for the inconvenience.
        • Thank you for the idea and contribution for the proper use of our MDFPP Keystore, @masdaster :)
    • 2022. 7. 15
        • android-12.1.0_r11
        • Security patch by July 5, 2022
      • Added support for Sony DualShock 4 gamepad
      • Increased headphone jack volume by about 20%
      • Updated USB HAL to v1.3
    • 2022. 6. 11
    • 2022. 4. 16
        • android-12.1.0_r4
      • Fixed the boot failure issue for some users
        • It is related to the Keystore of the Android system, I did a little compromise to make it work for all users
        • If you are using the first version (220320), you have to clean install to this version or you may fail to unlock the screen , you have to boot into TWRP and remove the file `locksettings.db` under `/data/system` directory. This will resolve the unlock failure issue after dirty-flashing it.
          • Thanks for this information, David Becker. :)
    • 2022. 3. 20
      • Initial release
    ## Special Notes
    • You must do clean-install if you are willing to upgrade from another ROM such as an Android 11 based one
    • I have tested Magisk 24.3 working
      • You can fix SafetyNet using Magisk modules, SafetyNet Fix and PropsConfig
    • You can hide the soft nav buttons on the bottom bar. This is the workaround.
      • 2. Go to "System -> Gestures" and set "System navigation" to "Gesture navigation"
      • 3. Go back to "System -> Buttons" and check "Enable on-screen nav bar" again to disable soft nav bar and enable hardware key.
    • You can hide the bottom Taskbar. This is the workaround.
      • 2. Go back using navigation bar and go to the "Buttons" menu again
      • 3. Then we can see the "Enable taskbar" option that we couldn't see before. Disable that option.
      • 4. And disable "Enable on-screen nav bar" option again to use the hardware buttons back.