[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][12L][N7100][Samsung Galaxy Note 2][LineageOS 19.1][BETA]

Search This thread

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
I looked at many ROMs for this device and found that none on them since cm-13 had encryption, and that SELinux is enforcing only in this one and in lineage-14.1-20211013-UNOFFICIAL-n7100. So, well done html6405 - you are the leader in security features! It would be good to look at the encryption problem though... Is there a device-specific reason why encryption is not implemented in the previous ROMs?

I also found that in lineage-14.1-20211013-UNOFFICIAL-n7100 (forgot to check this in the other ROMs), similarly to this project, the compass is misbehaving. It doesn't work in GPStest, but works in Compass app from Fdroid.

Last edited:

alexfire_s

Jan 5, 2022
I found a new small bug. when playing music from different sources via Bluetooth to a music speaker, headphones or a car - the music starts to stutter, stop, slow down and accelerate the tempo for a while, after that it sounds normal for a while. later the situation repeats.

html6405

Recognized Developer
Is there a device-specific reason why encryption is not implemented in the previous ROMs?
I don't know, I've made this working on previous ROM's for all other exynos4 devices, so it shouldn't have been a problem.
But there are new problems with Android 11 and Android 12 to get it working.
I found a new small bug. when playing music from different sources via Bluetooth to a music speaker, headphones or a car - the music starts to stutter, stop, slow down and accelerate the tempo for a while, after that it sounds normal for a while. later the situation repeats.
Ok thanks, it's noted.

Reactions: porcino

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
To entertain everyone with pictures...

These are the screenshots of GPStest and Compass app from Fdroid. One can see GPS lock, not see GPS losing lock in a moment after the screenshots were taken, see the compass sensor not working in the Sky view of GPStest, and see Compass app happilly using the compass sensor. I've tested the compass sensor with a magnet - it follows the field.

The first two GPS screenshots are taken with and then without GNSS API enabled in the settings of GPStest. It took roughly the same time to get lock in both cases. I had to move to the garden to take these measurements, because the GPS receiver is too weak to pick up the signals from inside the house (the other old phones do it just fine...).

Just tested again lineage-14.1-20211013-UNOFFICIAL-n7100, which is the most stable and secure ROM for this phone at the moment (SELinux enforcing, recent patches, although no encryption). Both the compass and GPS work fine there; GPS loses lock every couple of minutes and acquires it straight away (inside the building).

All tests are done without assist data and without gapps.

All together, both GPS and compass are malfunctioning: GPS not sensitive enough and unstable (need to check my device with the stock ROM just in case...), while compass suffering some sort of access problems (a part of its API not working?).

On a positive side, both the GPS and compass sensor are alive in the first alpha of the ROM - there is a hope!

Screenshot_20220122-111616_GPSTest.png
Screenshot_20220122-111842_GPSTest.png
Screenshot_20220122-121042_GPSTest.png
Screenshot_20220122-121101_Compass.png

Below is GPStest on the same phone, good old lineage-14.1-20211013-UNOFFICIAL-n7100, inside the building! It's working well. So, it looks like the hardware is not broken in my device...

Screenshot_20220122-175358.png

As I started digging into the treasures of old ROMs, this one came up:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-7-1-2-r24-lineageos-for-n7100-unofficial.3487568/
https://web.archive.org/web/2020121...h/n7100/lineage-14.1-20171019-tilak-n7100.zip

GPS in it works better than in the updated LOS-14.1 mentioned above, loses lock less frequently. Compass and camera (with video) also work. More importantly, encryption works! Unfortunately, it doesn't have recent security patches and SELinux is set to permissive... I am writing this to provide references to the solutions which will need to be addressed again in this project.

Last edited:
Reactions: esysfound

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
TEXT TO SPEECH?

I need to use this phone as a navigator - I cannot get text to speech to work for voice directions. (Trying to get this to work with MapsMe App -whole point is to do all navigating off line so if it works with e.g. Google Maps, doesn't help me - using with a prepaid SIM with no data and no roaming). I go this to work on Here Maps (older version) but it has a separate downloadable voice file that I don't think works off the system.

Downloaded the Google TTS (as it is ad free) but seems to keep crashing, when I try to set up in the Accessibility settings...This is now called Speech Services - it is the default, and all permissions seem ok. But the ROM choices regarding TTS seem limited and greyed out.

Anyone able to configure and use Speech to Text on this ROM and if so, how? And or must I download some app?

Kind of a big deal. Thanks
Try Flite from fdroid. It's based on festival.

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
Try Flite from fdroid. It's based on festival.
Thanks but not sure/clear this will help. The problem is the ROM is not allowing Text to Speech - it is greyed out. And Maps.Me runs off this choice. I have already tried several other apps - problem remains. ROM seems to not read them.

Seems to me a LOS19 ROM thing. LinOS 18.1 works fine.

Last edited:

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks but not sure/clear this will help. The problem is the ROM is not allowing Text to Speech - it is greyed out. And Maps.Me runs off this choice. I have already tried several other apps - problem remains. ROM seems to not read them.

Seems to me a LOS19 ROM thing. LinOS 18.1 works fine.
What is greyed out? I see this in the settings (left screenshot), and the test plays fine. This is Flite (festival) TTS app from Fdroid.

I also tested TTS with a couple of free navigators from fdroid (Organic Maps and OsmAnd+ screenshots on the right) - it worked. It was a quick test though, I didn't go driving. I couldn't test Maps.Me, because it contains 13 trackers from Google, Facebook, etc.

Screenshot_20220124-173438_Settings.png
Screenshot_20220124-183408_Organic Maps.png
Screenshot_20220124-182657_OsmAnd~.png

Last edited:

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
My Text to speech keeps crashing - and so in the Maps.Me the language option remains greyed out. Flite now available from G Playstore (Preview). Will test instead of Google Speech Services. It allowed me once to set Flite as the default, but now keeps crashing.

Trying to avoid reinstalling the ROM as everything else working fine. Have now rebooted several times - everytime I click on Text and Speech, Settings crashes.

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
Yes, Settings are a bit unstable. I find they crash more if clicking fast and carelessly. do it slowwwwly! Then, I don't have much installed, no gapps, no g services, no magisk, the two system apps with trackers disabled... - there are fewer things to crash. I also replaced the battery recently...

When installing Flite, it took time for the TTS settings to appear. I closed and opened Settings before they showed. Then, make sure that the language of the voice matches the language of TTS - I changed the language from default to UK English as the downloaded voice is such.

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
Have tried all this including slowing down - the Text to Speech just keeps crashing. Languages match. I just don't know. Tried a dirty flash...which I just did - no change. Stripped out Google Speech to Text engine, used just the F Droid FLite - for 1/2 a second a menu appears when I click on Text to Speech Output, then it vanishes, returns to Language in Settings.

Maybe some weird permissions thing? I guess I could post a logcat?

Last edited:

porcino

Feb 18, 2011
Nice, works better now. Apart from the obvious, the overall stability has improved as well.

Encryption "almost" works: it attempts to encrypt the data partition, but then the partition becomes unreadable and TWRP does not recognise the password.

I had a brief look at GPS. It seems that /vendor/etc/gps.xml contains broken paths to logs and certs. Not sure if it is relevant, as /vendor may belong to the original firmware and not used by this ROM.

GPS seems to respond to /etc/gps.conf modifications. The problem with GPS is that after it locks, it shows in GPStest #sats as 0/5/5 (or similar), which means missing the number of sats in the lock. Something is broken there... I've tried copying /etc/gps.conf and /etc/gps.xml from lineage-14.1-20211013-UNOFFICIAL-n7100, where GPS works correctly, checked the links in gps.xml, but no improvement.

The buttonless navbar is still taking space at the bottom of the screen. The old adb fix (suggested by html6405) helps:
setprop toggle_navbar true
Note: adb runs as root, so no "su" is needed prior the above command.

The same old problem as in many other ROMs: Work profile loses data after disable-enable cycle. To gain access to the data one needs to reboot the phone. This profile is used by Insular app to sandbox any unsafe applications. Together with encryption and SELinux this is an essential security feature of the OS.

Last edited:

alexfire_s

Jan 5, 2022
updated is really cool! @html6405 - you're just a wizard of the android world!)))
Rom has started to work much smoother, friezes have decreased, there are practically none! random crashes or freezes have also not been detected so far!

We are waiting for even more improvement of all features!))

The autonomy is also pleasing, the day lasts with a very active usage scenario!

P.s let me clarify: earlier you answered me that mounting the sd card is not yet available. are you working on this topic? or will you leave the functionality non-working?
Once again, thank you so much for your work and the opportunity for the ancient device to touch modernity!)))

Reactions: html6405

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
BOOTLOOP with 26 Jan Update

So..I tried to update to the new build. I first used the updater in Settings - the flash put phone into a boot loop. I then downloaded the actual zip file (AFH), and flashed via TWRP. Also triggered Bootloop. (circle traversing the green arc, endlessly). Only flashed the ROM, no Open or BitGapps, or Magisk.. Just simple dirty flash via the updater and manually. Tried repeatedly rebooting with and without ext SD card inserted. No change. Restored the backup of the earlier Dec 30 Lin19 ROM - phone now works fine. Needed a couple of hours to sort all this. So:

1. Those of you who updated, how exactly did you do this?
2. Anyone else having this problem?

Hour before I did all this, I did update Magisk as v. 24 came out. Possibly a connection-though I doubt it?

Last edited:

alexfire_s

Jan 5, 2022
BOOTLOOP with 26 Jan Update

So..I tried to update to the new build. I first used the updater in Settings - the flash put phone into a boot loop. I then downloaded the actual zip file (AFH), and flashed via TWRP. Also triggered Bootloop. (circle traversing the green arc, endlessly). Only flashed the ROM, no Open or BitGapps, or Magisk.. Just simple dirty flash via the updater and manually. Tried repeatedly rebooting with and without ext SD card inserted. No change. Restored the backup of the earlier Dec 30 Lin19 ROM - phone now works fine. Needed a couple of hours to sort all this. So:

1. Those of you who updated, how exactly did you do this?
2. Anyone else having this problem?

Hour before I did all this, I did update Magisk as v. 24 came out. Possibly a connection-though I doubt it?
with a dirty installation, there was also a bootloop at the first start, it was decided by a hard reset. but after the launch, the interface froze and slowed down, the play market did not start. I made a clean installation with all wipes and the format data - everything became ok.

AlexALXua

Sep 27, 2019
I also had bootloop after update, but it was broken gapps, after removed bitgapps (using their uninstaller, since they prevent me to reflash gapps due to "no space left" on system volume), and installed those again - it did boot normaly. But had issue with play store said "no internet connection", and wrote this on telegram channel as solution:

> all gapps did lost "WiFi/network" switch in app manager (visualy it was on, but actually was off it seems), guess because of update.

Anyway right now have some random reboots and broken wifi after soft-reboot (need to do full reboot), will catch logs soon and put them in telegram.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Last update. random reboots are gone. everything is great ... but ... after a call (incoming or outgoing), the processor frequency does not rise more than 200 MHz, large lags begin. Changing governor doesn't help. reboot helps
    Thanks for your report, I will check this asap,
    some one reported a similar thing on LOS 18.1.
    Refresh link on Mega. please
    Done, there happened a copy / paste problem.
    Update 03.05.2022:
    • Synced with latest LineageOS sources
    • Fixed lags after a phone call
    Refresh link on Mega. please
    @html6405 I managed to solve all those freezing and reeboting issues. Had to perform a factory reset and install everything back again. Now phone is working much better.
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

Hi,

here you can find my version for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on LineageOS 19.1.
    At first I want to thank @rINanDO, @ChronoMonochrome for all your work which was reused here and helped a lot.

• Boot
    • Audio
    • Bluetooth
    • Graphics
    • Cameras
    • GPS
    • Wifi
    • USB
    • Video playback (HW/SW)
    • OTA Updates
    • Tethering via USB, WIFI and Bluetooth
    • Sensors
    • RIL
    • NFC
    • Maybe random reboots
    • SD card can't be formated as internal memory, will cause a bootloop
    • Maybe more
    I would recommend to use microG instead of gapps,
    here you can find the installation instructions:
    1. Download Magisk 24.1 and flash it via TWRP (yes, flash the APK file), reboot
    2. Open Magisk and update the App (and do a reboot if it's asking)
    3. Enable Zygisk in Magisk
    4. Download and install microG installer in the Magisk manager, reboot
    5. Download and install safetynet-fix in the Magisk manager, reboot
    6. Check with a safetynet checker app and you should pass :)

Wanna improve your sound configs, control your charging current and more?
    Now you can use my app to access all boeffla configurations, there will follow more functions.

Telegramm group:

Do you like my work?
    Than you can simply hit the thanks button and consider to spend me a coffee or a beer,
    I'm doing this in my free time and it also costs a lot of money to buy hardware.
    donate

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][12.x][N7100][BETA] LineageOS 19.1, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Contributors

html6405
    Source Code: https://github.com/html6405

ROM OS Version: 12.x S
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    ROM Firmware Required: TWRP 3.3.0
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
    Beta

Created 2021-12-30
    Last Updated 2022-05-03
    Update 26.01.2022:
    • Synched with latest LineageOS sources
    • Brought support for Signature Spoofing (MicroG)
    • Disabled AOD by default
    • Fixed video playing in gallery
    • Switched to PegasusPowerHAL
    • Fixed compass sensor
    • Fixed SIM-PIN unlock issue
    You should be able to disable the always on display in the quick settings (AOD) and give your test a retry :).
    Just tried the AOD button: first enabled it and then disabled again... - it worked! Not sure, though, whether any of my previous attempts to modify the settings via adb played any role. I'll repeat timing of the battery with this setting. Thanks.
    Update 08.03.2022:
    • Fixed GPS, 3D fix passes.
    • Synced with LineageOS sources
    Alternative download link for the initial version: