Can you please explain to me step-by-step what you did for it to pass? I tried but failed every time.GooglePay is only working with Lygisk + MagiskHideProps. But you have to make sure your device passes the SafetyNet Check
Other banking apps may work...but it depends on your bank. For example the S-PushTAN app is only working if you freeze the Lygisk(Magisk) App before you open the S-PushTAN App.
1) Enable "Zygisk" option (in Lygisk/Magisk app)
You're a godsend. Thank you so much.1) Enable "Zygisk" option (in Lygisk/Magisk app)
2) Reboot your device
3) Enable "Enforce DenyList" option
4) Go in "Configure DenyList"
5) Tap on the Magnifying Glass button
6) Enable "Show system apps" option then search 'Google Play Services' and tap on it (but NOT on the tick box!) to expand activities
7) Enable both "com.google.android.gms" & "com.google.android.gms.unstable"
8) install MagiskHide Props Config(Magisk module)
9) Open the terminal
11) Type "props"
12) Edit 1 fingerprint of the device
13) Choose a certified fingerprint
14) 7 Google
15) Find an Android 11/12 device (Pixel 5 = 26 and 1/ 2)
16) Follow the instructions
18) Clear Google Play Store Data
19) Check SafetyNet (should pass)
20) Open DenyList
21) Check all apps that do not require root privileges
Which Backup is working? Used TWRP, but stopped with 19.0 - so I have no backup option now.
I tried Seedvault, but can't get it to work. When starting the settings of Seedvault, it goes back to the previous or parent settings menu.
Also screenshare does not work for me (since 19.0) - is it supposed to work?
I have an s10e with Galaxy Buds 2 and on some roms like CrDroid or some lineage 19 builds it works fine for me.
I have had apps becoming unresponsive, but never experienced reappearing error messages like you describe.I've noticed that whenever an app becomes unresponsive, the error message that appears confirming this keeps appearing every few seconds, despite the app already recovering. The only method I've found to prevent this any further is to close/force stop it.
I did have Magisk installed (Lygisk now after recently going through a stuck OTA update), so I'm not sure if this bug appears with a clean installation. But I've only used a very small amount of modules, so it's possible.
What is your-- LineageOS version: LineageOS Download url: Gapps version: Did you-- wipe: restore with titanium backup: reboot after having the issue: Are you using-- a task killer: a non-stock kernel: other modifications: Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed: