[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][13] LineageOS 20.0 for LG V30 (joan)

Search This thread

ASWFY1987

Feb 13, 2021
i had the same issue on 911 build, the workaround was to enter your default security once on bootup, then click anywhere on the screen besides 'systemui failed' message (do not select either)...the screen blanks....then use the fingerprint sensor to unlock....which brings you to your default launcher home. Sometimes the fingerprint sensor may report as unavailable, and I would reboot and try again, which works 98% of the time :D
And how exactly to enter the default security on bootup ????

Koile

Oct 11, 2009
unfortunately it is my daughter's phone and she won't be too pleased, if she has to re-configure everything again (just installed LineageOS on her phone this weekend). 😅
I downgraded it with TWRP and hope, that we will find a solution (or else... she has to live with re-configuring everything...).
Has anyone else encountered this problem?
It happens with both our V30...

I just updated from 20220911 to 20221115 via the builtin updater. Unfortunately I can't log in to my phone any more, because everytime I try to unlock the screen (i.e. I enter my PIN), it just blanks and shows the lockscreen again.
Will the quoted flash-file help me with this issue?
Is there any other way of downloading it? I don't have Telegram and don't want to install it.
The release notes has a patch zip to remove passwords. You must flash this on every update, unfortunately.

Currently there is no known way to fix this.

As far I know, you don't need to use the patch for Android 12 ROMs
A zip to remove password is required upon any dirty flash of Android 12. This is an issue with all present Android 12 ROMs on the V30, and this ROM is no exception.

If this is a problem, consider reverting to Android 11. I still have the last build of Android 11 on SourceForge and I'll keep it there.

Some ROMs chose to remove the password upon every flash, I chose not to do this. I may change my opinion on this matter if it becomes enough of a problem for everyone.

Reactions: tech_infinity

Koile

Oct 11, 2009
Can you upload this zip anywhere else beside telegram? Without telegram I cannot download it (and apparently @mja has the same "problem").

New build: 20221212

Important notice about the built-in Updater:
  • My update server broke about a week before building this (as well as many of my other services.) Unfortunately this means you will not be able to update from System Settings at this time, until I figure out a better way to handle this. Very sorry for people who enjoyed the feature.
To dirty flash:
  • You need to flash the "Remove password" patch attached in OP to remove the password database. Removing your passwords from Settings is not enough, it will crash on boot. (thanks lllgts)
  • Reflash gapps.
Changelog:
  • December 2022 Security patches
  • DPI changed to 540
    • actually looks ok now
  • Android Common Kernel merged (android-4.4-p)
  • Maybe fix a regression with Widevine that caused some apps to die?
Known issues:
  • Keystore remains broken. This means that if you have a lock screen set, then upon flashing an updated ROM, your lock screen will crash. If you are dirty flashing, flash the zip attached to OP.
    • Some new development on the kernel side showed some signs that this may be fixed. It is unknown whether that is actually the case until I test this further.
    • It's possible that maybe starting from this build onwards you may not need to flash this zip over and over again?
    • You will still need it if flashing from the November build for now.
    • This zip currently requires TWRP.
  • Proton* apps will (likely still) complain about Keystore errors. Issue appears to be the same as above. For now, reinstall the apps to get it working.
Download:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lifehackerhansol-android/files/
(built-in updater is down. My server died.)

Last edited:
New build: 20221214

Important note:
  • For this build I highly recommend a clean flash. Telegram users have reported that a dirty flash worked fine, but I give no guarantees.
Changelog:
  • Fix keystore. This also fixes, in no particular order:
    • Google Pay
    • Most bank apps
      • at least, the one bank app I use that is known to be stingy about custom ROMs is working
      • Obviously I can't test all bank apps. But I'd say it should fix most
    • Proton* apps
    • Swift Backup
    • SystemUI crash upon unlocking on first boot
    • Setting a password
    • The "remove_password" zip is not necessary anymore!
Download:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lifehackerhansol-android/files/

Last edited:
Reactions: eigerzoom

tech_infinity

Jun 16, 2014
aakashverma.com
LG V30
A zip to remove password is required upon any dirty flash of Android 12. This is an issue with all present Android 12 ROMs on the V30, and this ROM is no exception.

If this is a problem, consider reverting to Android 11. I still have the last build of Android 11 on SourceForge and I'll keep it there.

Some ROMs chose to remove the password upon every flash, I chose not to do this. I may change my opinion on this matter if it becomes enough of a problem for everyone.
I thought they were referring to zip needed on older roms to fix wifi

I thought they were referring to zip needed on older roms to fix wifi
That zip hasn't been needed since Android 11 for our device, which is actually because the zip no longer worked for that Android version and forward (read-only file system.)

The zip we talk about is to wipe the password settings, because keystore, a security type thing built into Android that communicates with hardware TrustZone, has been not entirely functional in Android 12. Due to this, many apps using keystore had been broken for some time, i.e. bank apps, VPN apps, ProtonMail, etc., but the biggest issue was the lock screen.

I'm the first one to bring this issue from Telegram to XDA as I'm currently the only V30 developer to post in XDA at the moment. Hence it's understandable why it may be confused.

Good thing is, now we don't need to rely on hacky post-install zips to fix it, as I've found the root cause of the problem and fixed it in the 20221214 build.

Pinging @mja and @Koile since they couldn't access the Telegram download, just letting you know that it's not needed now.

The zip will remain on OP for some time just in case people want to downgrade builds for testing etc.

Koile

Oct 11, 2009
Thanks for the information! And thank you for fixing the cause of the problem!
I already installed the update. ☺️👍 The only bug I encountered, is, that Keepass won't allow me to use biometric unlocking. But that's only a minor annoyance. 😃

Joefitz

May 30, 2018
Safety Bay
Did a clean install, works perfectly, no issues, amazing.
Thank you for bringing this classic phone back to life.
Well done, brilliant job!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Happy (belated) new year, everyone.

New build: 20230112

As of this build, we are LineageOS 20.0.

Changelog:
    • Android 13
    • SELinux is still enforcing (yay?)
    • January security patches
    Available at DL link in OP.
    As far as I remember, treble support was required for Android 12. Can I install it over pie on a non treble joan?
    Treble was never a requirement. That said, this ROM is nearly treble compliant (meaning it is built as a Treble ROM, but without a separate vendor partition.) This has been the case since Android 10.
    I've experienced a strange problem with receiving calls with t-mobile. Incoming calls are not working reliably. If I reset call-forwarding ##004# and ##21#, I could receive calls 1 or 2 times, and incoming calls were forwarded to voicemail.
    This phone cannot call on T-Mobile, as the 3G network is shut down and the 2G network is very thinly spread out. Our ROM does not have VoLTE support, and will likely never get support for it (you can thank LG for making it impossible.)
    If you want to use this phone for calls in the United States, please return to the stock Pie ROM for this device.
    New build: 20230117

Changelog:
    • Fix vibration control menu
    • Fix time offset persistence after reboot (TimeKeep)
    • Some kernel changes to improve performance (VDSO32 backport)
    • OTA updates are back! (you still need to flash this build manually, but future builds should show up)
    Available at DL link in OP.
    As far as I remember, treble support was required for Android 12. Can I install it over pie on a non treble joan?
    No need to worry. It will work :)
    No need to worry. It will work :)
    I lost hope for 12, this news is good. Thanks
    2okpze5-png.5798241

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 13, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

* Your warranty is now void.
    (But I mean it's probably already void at this point... bleh.)

* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features
    * included in this ROM before flashing!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications and if
    * YOU point the finger at us for messing up your device,
    * WE will laugh at you.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS GitHub repo.
    • If you would like to contribute to the upstream LineageOS project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.
    • If you would like to contribute to LineageOS for this device, please see the source code listed below.
    First time installing? Here is how:
    • Unlock your bootloader. (obviously)
    • Install some form of custom recovery.
      • TWRP is fine: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/4027117/
        • This is a bit outdated, but the updated build only exists in Telegram at the moment.
        • The Telegram chat is linked below, but if you don't want to, the above one works semi-okay. TWRP in general on this device currently has issues with ADB sideload, take that how you will.
      • LineageOS recovery exists as well, which you can extract from any build zip file from SourceForge (recovery.img). You can use fastboot or whatever the case may be.
        • The sideload on this is fine.
    • Clean flash the ROM. That is, factory reset the phone using the recovery.
    • Flash LineageOS.
    • Before rebooting to OS for the first time:
      • If you use gapps, flash Android 13 gapps
      • If you use Magisk, then flash latest Magisk
      • If you use gapps and Magisk, then flash them in that order
    • Go wild!
    Compatibility Notes:
    • You need to be on Pie firmware or this won't work.
    • This should work on H932 (T-Mobile.) I do not have a way to test. Take caution.
    • VoLTE and VoWIFI doesn't work and probably never will.
    • Camera doesn't work properly for some people, it may work fine for a while then photos will stop being saved. This seems to be random and so far there's no solution (as in, some people are fine, some are not).
    • Netflix and similar video streaming apps seem to crash upon exiting mid-playback. To fix this you'll need to flash liboemcrypto disabler module in Magisk. The only problem with this solution is that it limits the streaming quality to 480p.
      • This may invalidate you from bug reports. While I'll try to take it into consideration, you will need to test the bug without Magisk installed for me to efficiently figure something out.
    Downloads:
    Device source code:
    V30 development (including other ROMs) usually happens over at Telegram: https://t.me/LGEV30.
    • You can still use this thread for bug reports.
    Credits:
    • @SGCMarkus for all of the work with the V30 over the years
    • Slowhy (Android 12 maintenance)
    • LineageOS team
    New build: 20220815

As of this build, we are LineageOS 19.1.

To dirty flash from LineageOS 18.1:

- You need to flash this patch to remove the password database. Removing your passwords from Settings is not enough, it will crash on boot. (thanks lllgts)
    https://t.me/LGV30U/1373
    no longer relevant
    - If you had gapps, you must flash Android 12 gapps BEFORE BOOTING INTO A12.

Changelog:
    - Android 12L
    - Kernel upgraded to 4.4.302
    - BPF fully backported (thanks Slowhy)
    - Minor SELinux fixes to make it work on A12

Available at DL link in OP. While the built-in updater can download it, it will not allow you to flash from it directly. Use a custom recovery to dirty flash (which you need to anyway for the password patch.)
    Fantastic, thank you very much for bringing android 11 to this rather old device. However after clean wiping and flashing the 0810 version I couldn't use wifi at all (the mac address has become unavailable, device name and phone number unknown). The system UI also crashes from time to time (I think because of the unavailable wifi). The mobile network seems to work just fine though. I tried restoring modem and efs from a backup but couldn't solve the problem. Currently downloading the 0722 version to test if it work, I will update if I could fix this myself. Also the system's boot time seems to be quite long (1~2 minutes each) in comparison to the previous LOS 16.1 on the same device?
    Based on your post that you were using LOS 16.0 (16.1 did not exist), I will take that you did not update your device stock ROM to Pie. You need to do so, or a lot of things don't work.
    New build: 20220722

- Fixed fingerprint registration
    - Fixed Wi-Fi issues (files taken from LG V40)

I'll be going back to monthly build schedule after this :D

Available through the built-in updater or at DL link in OP.
    Welllll after spending more time than I ever want to admit wrestling with this, I finally fixed the wifi problem.
    tldr:
    1. Stock Pie (I used the flashable US998 20B zip file found on this forum)
    2. Clean wipe
    3. Reflash twrp (or else stock recovery will replace it)
    4. Flash a different a11 rom than LOS 18.1 (I used havoc 4.12)
    5. Gapps 11 (maybe not really necessary but just to be sure)
    6. Restart to system to check if wifi works (if not then you're out of luck I guess)
    7. Dirty flash (aka wipe nothing) LOS 18.1
    8. Gapps, yada, yada
    9. Profit
    This wifi problem seems to be rather random, as it was mentioned here:

Maybe it is a bug in LOS 17+.
    What did NOT work (I just list a few here so that someone else in the future won't waste as much time as I did):
    • Use a backup modem, reflash persist, modem, rct, etc. from any stock version (I tried US998 20e, f, g, h, 30b)
    • Use a TWRP efs or modem backup from any previous versions
    • Use a different modem img from any other dervice (Mine was originally H930 before ulbl so I also tried other version, nothing worked)
    • Create folders in /persist with adb shell
    • Praying to a higher being