• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][6.0.1][BETA] OmniRom for Galaxy Tab A 7 LTE (SM-T285)

Is it worth it to work on CM-14 (Nougat) for this device?

• Yes

Votes: 74 94.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

jedld

Oct 15, 2007
Bacoor
This is a port of OMNIRom 6.0.1 for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 (2016) LTE SM-T285. OMNI is a minimalist ROM created by devs from the CM project.

5.1.1 is the best that you can get from samsung right now and it is not known if they plan to do any upgrades. I have absolutely no idea why samsung chose to stay with the outdated 5.1.1 mid 2016 when we already got 7.1 coming out. This custom rom is probably the best you can get if you want an upgrade from Lollipop. Performance on the latest build is also better, you be the judge.

Though this is stable enough that I use it currently as my daily driver, make sure you read the pending issues below and decide if this is acceptable to you before you flash this rom. This rom probably won't get much use out of some people until bluetooth is fixed.

Based off on OMNIRom 6.0.1 MOB31K sources which is based on Marshmallow.

For more information on OMNIRom and its features see their site here.

Device Tree:
=========
https://github.com/jedld/device_samsung_gtexslte.git
https://github.com/jedld/vendor_samsung_gtexslte.git
https://github.com/jedld/kernel_samsung_gtexslte.git

Update Dec 8, 2016
===============

* Fixed sideloading apks from internal sd card
* Fixed selection of preferred network mode
* Enable soft navigation bar (googe now on tap should work with this)
* Adjust heap settings

Works:

- Wifi/LTE/SMS (Some users report data intermittently not connecting, though toggling airplane mode on/off can fix it)
- Audio
- Graphics with glitches (minor screen tearing, blank screen showing up on overlays)
- Camera (works if a third party camera app is used. Does not work on the stock camera app)
- Bluetooth
- GPS
- Wifi Hotspot
- Incoming/Outgoing Calls
- MTP

Does not work:

- Calls (Incoming)
-- MTP (Browse Only)
- probably more (need testers)

Bugs/Known Issues

* Bluetooth A2DP streaming issues when both bluetooth and Wifi is on and network traffic is occuring. There are reports that this also happens in order ROMs, not sure if stock also has this issue.
* Screen turns upside down for a brief moment when turning off the device.
* Unable to select preferred network mode e.g. LTE, 3G, 2G (fixed 12/08/2016)
* Error while entering USSD code in the dailer
* Unable to tap to install apks for sideloading (see workaround below)(fixed 12/08/2016)
* Problems recording video

Other Notes:

- selinux permissive

Most of the issues are fixable, I just need more time and encouragement :D

SM-T280 Users: Unfortunately this rom would probably not work on it since the SM-T285 and SM-T280 have different kernels and slightly different hardware. I don't have access to this device so it would be hard for me to port it over. However I believe there are a lot of similiarities in the device tree that can be shared. If a dev with the SM-T280 is interested I can probably help.

Download
========

Remember flashing an unofficial ROM on your samsung device will probably void your warranty, Samsung representatives will probably not be able to help you as they are still stuck at 5.1.1 land as of now and have no idea how to handle a Sm-T285 that is running 6.0.1.

As always flash this at your own risk. Make sure you have a copy of the stock ROM so that you have something to fall back to, which is highly the case when using an experimental rom.

See DevDB download section for older releases. Or click below for the latest release:

Build Dec 9 2016

Note that this rom is pure stock and does not come with the Play Store or any Gapps, I suggest you download a micro gapps package separately and install it via recovery.

There have been reports that recent versions of open gapps don't work properly, it is advised to use older versions instead (e.g. open_gapps-arm-6.0-nano-20161109.zip)

Installation Instructions
==================

Perform a backup of all of your important files. This ROM is experimental and I will not be responsible for your loss of data.

Download the zip file and extract the tar.

Use Odin/Heimdall to flash the tar file to your device. If you are coming from stock oranother rom make sure you wipe first using TWRP. Coming from a previous version of OMNIRom for SM-T285 may not require a wipe, however please perform a wipe if you encounter problems.

Root and customization
===================

This ROM is a purely based on source and is not rooted out of the box. However you can easily root it by using TWRP to install the latest version of SuperSU.

If you want to customize this ROM and repackage it you may use this guide as a reference.

Workaround for apk install issue
=========================

Due to a possible bug with how sdcardfs is implemented in this device, apks downloaded externally and placed in external storage like Download show the apk is corrupt error when trying to install it.

however you can do a workaround by having root and doing the following:

1. Root your device (Download SuperSU and install via TWRP)
2. Download root file explorer
3. Using root file explorer move your apk to /data/local/tmp or create a folder under /data/local and move it there
4. Install the apk from that location and it should work.

Note that apps downloaded from the play store or install using "adb install" are not affected and works properly.

XDA:DevDB Information
OMNIROM 6.0 for the Galaxy Tab A 2016 7.0 LTE SM-T285, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A series

Contributors
jedld
Source Code: https://github.com/jedld/device_samsung_gtexslte

ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
Based On: OMNIRom

Version Information

Created 2016-10-28
Last Updated 2016-12-09

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161024-044941.jpg
    Screenshot_20161024-044941.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 12,523
  • Screenshot_20161024-044958.png
    Screenshot_20161024-044958.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 12,485
  • Screenshot_20161024-045012.png
    Screenshot_20161024-045012.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 12,450
Last edited:

acornkenya

Mar 19, 2009
Thika
Great ROM! It is surprisingly usable, even at this stage of development, and feels far faster than stock. In addition to the bugs you mentioned, I also found out that apps will not install. Attempts at installation trigger a 'this package seems to be corrupt' error. Did anyone else encounter this problem?

Last edited:

jedld

Oct 15, 2007
Bacoor
Great ROM! It is surprisingly usable, even at this stage of development, and feels far faster than stock. In addition to the bugs you mentioned, I also found out that apps will not install. Attempts at installation trigger a 'this package seems to be corrupt' error. Did anyone else encounter this problem?

How are you installing it? via ADB?

acornkenya

Mar 19, 2009
Thika
How are you installing it? via ADB?
No, via Odin. I even thought I had made a mistake at some point during the installation process, so I repeated it twice, once with Gapps, and once without, but the problem persisted.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

I've only tried using adb install and it seems to' work fine.
Hmmm...I'll try installing it via ADB, see if the problem will go away.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

And I can confirm MTP is indeed not working

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

But for an initial release, this is surprisingly good.

Arris Bachtiar

Oct 22, 2016
This is a port of OMNI 6.0 for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 (2016) LTE SM-T285. OMNI is a minimalist ROM created by devs from the CM project.

5.1.1 is the best that you can get from samsung and it is not known if they plan to do any upgrades. This custom rom is probably the best you can get if you want an upgrade from Lollipop.

I don't recommend this for daily use as this ROM is to be used mainly for testing and contains a lot of bugs and features that don't work. This rom probably won't get much use out of some people until bluetooth is fixed.

Based off on OMNI 6.0 sources which is based on Marshmallow

Device Tree:
=========

Works:

- Wifi/LTE/SMS
- Audio
- Graphics with glitches (minor screen tearing, blank screen showing up on overlays and app switching)
- Camera with issues (works if a third party camera app is used (OpenCamera). Does not work on the stock camera app and possibly some other apps)

Does not work:

- Calls
- Bluetooth
- GPS(?not too sure, need more testing)
- MTP

Other Notes:

- selinux permissive

SM-T280 Users: Unfortunately this rom would probably not work on it since the SM-T285 and SM-T280 have different kernels and slightly different hardware. I don't have access to this device so it would be hard for me to port it over. However I believe there are a lot of similiarities in the device tree that can be shared. If a dev with the SM-T280 is interested I can probably help.

Download
========

Odin/Heimdall Flashable Zip: http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=21180

Installation Instructions:

If coming from stock, make sure you oem unlock first in developer settings. A full wipe is required so make sure you backup all your data.
Extract Zip and flash using ODIN or Heimdall. A TWRP recovery c/o @ashyx and repacked by me for the T285 is included in the package.

If you plan to install a GApps package it is recommended to do a full wipe so make sure you do that before you start using the device.

Note that this rom is pure stock and does not come with the Play Store or any Gapps, I suggest you download a micro gapps package separately and install it via recovery.

Special Thanks
===========
@ashyx - TWRP build
koquantam - work on the core33g provided an invaluable resource for porting the SM-T285 which is also a sc8830 device.

OMNIROM 6.0 for the Galaxy Tab A 2016 7.0 LTE SM-T285, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A series

Contributors
jedld

Based On: OMNIROM

Version Information

Created 2016-10-28
Last Updated 2016-10-28
Many thanks for your hardwork jedld

jedld

Oct 15, 2007
Bacoor
build 20161104 is now available. GPS and bluetooth should now be fixed. Most of the hardware support for the SM-T285 seems to be working on a basic level, I am now attempting to use it as my daily driver.

Though bluetooth seems to work I haven't tested all possible bluetooth profiles yet, so keep your fingers crossed.

The remaining major issues are being unable to make/receive calls, Graphics overlay issues, being unable to play some video content in facebook (not sure if DRM related or Graphics related) and MTP.

There are also minor issues related to battery monitoring and screen flipping when going into low power mode.

I don't usually use this tablet to make/recieve calls so I am currently fixing graphics as a priority.

Reactions: acornkenya

acornkenya

Mar 19, 2009
Thika
build 20161104 is now available. GPS and bluetooth should now be fixed. Most of the hardware support for the SM-T285 seems to be working on a basic level, I am now attempting to use it as my daily driver.

Though bluetooth seems to work I haven't tested all possible bluetooth profiles yet, so keep your fingers crossed.

The remaining major issues are being unable to make/receive calls, Graphics overlay issues, being unable to play some video content in facebook (not sure if DRM related or Graphics related) and MTP.

There are also minor issues related to battery monitoring and screen flipping when going into low power mode.

I don't usually use this tablet to make/recieve calls so I am currently fixing graphics as a priority.

1. Great job! In the course of testing, I bumped into a very odd problem; apps from the Play Store install just fine, but the apks I have saved on both the internal memory and the memory card will not. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? How do I solve it? Thanks in advance. I installed the ROM via Odin
2. The WiFi hotspot is not working

Last edited:

jedld

Oct 15, 2007
Bacoor
1. Great job! In the course of testing, I bumped into a very odd problem; apps from the Play Store install just fine, but the apks I have saved on both the internal memory and the memory card will not. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? How do I solve it? Thanks in advance. I installed the ROM via Odin
2. The WiFi hotspot is not working

Nice catch on the wifi hotspot.

For the apk installation problem, yes I am able to replicate it, turns out to be some permissions I incorrectly set for the filesystem, will investigate. However note that using adb install works fine.

acornkenya

Mar 19, 2009
Thika
Nice catch on the wifi hotspot.

For the apk installation problem, yes I am able to replicate it, turns out to be some permissions I incorrectly set for the filesystem, will investigate. However note that using adb install works fine.

I tried installing both the previous and current releases using adb, but for some reason, that didn't work.

I suspect the problem is at my end, though. I'll use another computer, see if that will solve the problem.

Thanks for the prompt response, and for the work that you're doing.

Last edited:

acornkenya

Mar 19, 2009
Thika
New build released for 11132016, main fixes are wifi hotspot, outgoing calls and partial MTP fix (still broken though).
1. Compared with the previous build, scrolling feels faster
2. A personal favorite; it is possible to enable softkeys without triggering system UI errors
3. Just like in the previous build, apks stored on the internal memory or microSD will not install if the ROM is loaded via Odin. Apps from the Play Store install just fine, though, and the problem completely disappears when the ROM is installed via ADB

jedld

Oct 15, 2007
Bacoor
For the Nov 21 release, all major issues have been fixed except for MTP. Graphics issues have also been fixed, expect a major performance boost, No promises but the user experience should be superior to that of stock, and I haven't even compiled for a release build yet. This release should be good enough as a daily driver assuming its ok for you to have SeLinux in permissive mode.

corzradio

Nov 20, 2007
The Rock"land" Cty
what.....

For the Nov 21 release, all major issues have been fixed except for MTP. Graphics issues have also been fixed, expect a major performance boost, No promises but the user experience should be superior to that of stock, and I haven't even compiled for a release build yet. This release should be good enough as a daily driver assuming its ok for you to have SeLinux in permissive mode.

does that mean "SeLinux in permissive mode"?

corzradio

Nov 20, 2007
The Rock"land" Cty
how do i...

get google play or google play services to load? every gapps i try it wont load. please help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a port of OMNIRom 6.0.1 for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 (2016) LTE SM-T285. OMNI is a minimalist ROM created by devs from the CM project.

5.1.1 is the best that you can get from samsung right now and it is not known if they plan to do any upgrades. I have absolutely no idea why samsung chose to stay with the outdated 5.1.1 mid 2016 when we already got 7.1 coming out. This custom rom is probably the best you can get if you want an upgrade from Lollipop. Performance on the latest build is also better, you be the judge.

Though this is stable enough that I use it currently as my daily driver, make sure you read the pending issues below and decide if this is acceptable to you before you flash this rom. This rom probably won't get much use out of some people until bluetooth is fixed.

Based off on OMNIRom 6.0.1 MOB31K sources which is based on Marshmallow.

For more information on OMNIRom and its features see their site here.

Device Tree:
    =========

Update Dec 8, 2016
    ===============

* Fixed sideloading apks from internal sd card
    * Fixed selection of preferred network mode
    * Enable soft navigation bar (googe now on tap should work with this)
    * Adjust heap settings

Works:

- Wifi/LTE/SMS (Some users report data intermittently not connecting, though toggling airplane mode on/off can fix it)
    - Audio
    - Graphics with glitches (minor screen tearing, blank screen showing up on overlays)
    - Camera (works if a third party camera app is used. Does not work on the stock camera app)
    - Bluetooth
    - GPS
    - Wifi Hotspot
    - Incoming/Outgoing Calls
    - MTP

Does not work:

- Calls (Incoming)
    -- MTP (Browse Only)

Bugs/Known Issues

* Bluetooth A2DP streaming issues when both bluetooth and Wifi is on and network traffic is occuring. There are reports that this also happens in order ROMs, not sure if stock also has this issue.
    * Screen turns upside down for a brief moment when turning off the device.
    * Unable to select preferred network mode e.g. LTE, 3G, 2G (fixed 12/08/2016)
    * Error while entering USSD code in the dailer
    * Unable to tap to install apks for sideloading (see workaround below)(fixed 12/08/2016)
    * Problems recording video

Other Notes:

- selinux permissive

Download
    ========

Remember flashing an unofficial ROM on your samsung device will probably void your warranty, Samsung representatives will probably not be able to help you as they are still stuck at 5.1.1 land as of now and have no idea how to handle a Sm-T285 that is running 6.0.1.

As always flash this at your own risk. Make sure you have a copy of the stock ROM so that you have something to fall back to, which is highly the case when using an experimental rom.

See DevDB download section for older releases. Or click below for the latest release:

Build Dec 9 2016

There have been reports that recent versions of open gapps don't work properly, it is advised to use older versions instead (e.g. open_gapps-arm-6.0-nano-20161109.zip)

Installation Instructions
    ==================

Perform a backup of all of your important files. This ROM is experimental and I will not be responsible for your loss of data.

Download the zip file and extract the tar.

Use Odin/Heimdall to flash the tar file to your device. If you are coming from stock oranother rom make sure you wipe first using TWRP. Coming from a previous version of OMNIRom for SM-T285 may not require a wipe, however please perform a wipe if you encounter problems.

Root and customization
    ===================

This ROM is a purely based on source and is not rooted out of the box. However you can easily root it by using TWRP to install the latest version of SuperSU.

If you want to customize this ROM and repackage it you may use this guide as a reference.

Workaround for apk install issue
    =========================

Due to a possible bug with how sdcardfs is implemented in this device, apks downloaded externally and placed in external storage like Download show the apk is corrupt error when trying to install it.

however you can do a workaround by having root and doing the following:

1. Root your device (Download SuperSU and install via TWRP)
    2. Download root file explorer
    3. Using root file explorer move your apk to /data/local/tmp or create a folder under /data/local and move it there
    4. Install the apk from that location and it should work.

Note that apps downloaded from the play store or install using "adb install" are not affected and works properly.

Contributors
    jedld

Based On: OMNIRom

Version Information

Created 2016-10-28
    Last Updated 2016-12-09
    Now released a new build. This should fix the apk install from sdcard issues as well as other enhancements and fixes.
    1. The data connection issues are gone; the APN entry-and-reboot method works like a charm. However, if I reboot again, the problem sometimes recurs, but I have discovered a workaround; select another APN, reboot, choose the APN I want to use, and reboot again. In general, however, connectivity issues are solved to an extent that allows me to use this build as a daily driver.
    2. Very, very minor graphical glitches, such as when scrolling through long web pages, are still present, although they are not a deal breaker.
    3. This ROM is really fast, and - I'm not sure if this is the right word to use in the context of a ROM - light. For instance, it was almost impossible to use OneNote in Tinker V5 because of extreme lag; that problem is completely gone in this build. In general, everything feels pleasurably snappy.
    4. Would it be possible to add display color adjustment and 'press home button to wake up device' features?

Thank you for taking the time to build and refine this ROM.

I would like to give my thanks also for taking the time to test this ROM and provide feedback. As an early christmas gift for you I have just uploaded CM-14.1 for the SM-T285. The only thing I can say is, if you are already impressed with how fast Android 6.0.1 is on this device, Android 7.1 will not disappoint. Problem is, bluetooth got broken again.
    Hello Jedid understand you are busy (and I don't mean with ROMs necessarily :)....would you be able to port those fixes for Omni for the phone.com crash when ending a call? Thanks (maybe lineage cm14.1 is your priority now-been using it for a few days now)

I'll try to revisit omni 6 when I have time. Though is anyone still interested in an Omni 7.1 version for the SM-T285?
    Anyone wanna take a crat at t280 with this? i can test

@r3pwn on github added me to the https://github.com/samsung-sc8830 group, from what I see in the commits he is working on the SM-T280 kernel and a CM-14 device tree. Not sure how far he has gone though.