• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][6.0.1] CyanogenMod 13.0 for Elephone Trunk

Search This thread

ottmi

Mar 3, 2016
Munich
This ROM is a genuine CM13 build from source for the Elephone Trunk. It's based on mdeejay's Ark Benefit code with modifications by @BlueFlame4 and @hisname. The source code is available on GitHub.

Working:
  • Phone
  • Mobile data in dual-sim configuration
  • Wifi
  • GPS
  • Bluetooth
  • Audio

Known Bugs:
  • Torch tile in the status bar is not available
  • Haptic feedback on soft buttons

XDA:DevDB Information
CM13 for Elephone Trunk, ROM for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
ottmi, siljaer
Source Code: https://github.com/ottmi/android_device_elephone_trunk

ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 20160902
Beta Release Date: 2016-09-02

Created 2016-06-07
Last Updated 2016-09-02

Last edited:

ottmi

Mar 3, 2016
Munich
Changelog

• First try to fix sdcard issues, will need more testing
  • Fix thermal-engine to actually start
  • Fix audio_effects.conf
  • Tweak auto-brightness
  • Enable OTA updates
  • Use Wileyfox Swift blobs for everything but camera
  • Update to latest CM13 source

• Enable thermal-engine to fix overheating emergency shutdowns
  • Update kernel to latest MSM8916 to fix Quadrooter vulnerabilities
  • Re-enable AEC audio effects

• Revert changes to mixer_paths.xml and audio_effects.conf to fix echo problems

• Update to latest CM13 source to fix surfaceflinger crashes

• Tweak GPS settings to obtain faster locks
  • Enable input event for headphone jack
  • Use ACDB libraries from Wileyfox swift, fix some ACDB-related settings

• Incorporate @siljaer's modifications to mixer_paths.xml to fix echoes and low volume audio recordings
  • Pull in additional permissions to reflect actual hardware of the phone (light & proximity sensor)
  • Change screen density to 300dpi
  • Backport LZ4 compression from Linux 3.12 for use in ZRAM
  • Try to fix Torch problems by restarting media service after full boot

• Fix wpa_supplicant crashes

• Switch to generic CyanogenMod MSM8916 kernel
  • Use Wileyfox Swift kernel configuration as template
  • Increase partition sizes of system and data to 1.8GB and 12GB

• Fix bug in libstagefright properly
  • Fix sensor glue code to only show actually existing sensors
  • Fix device permissions
  • Use own key to sign code instead of testkeys
  • Set selinux to enforce

• Fix mediaserver crashes to a bug in libstagefright (roll back to commit 8f270dc)
  • Use Adreno binary blobs from Wileyfox Swift (which are more complete)

• Enabling of Qualcomm Fluence as suggested by @Bingo Bronson
  • Backport of the F2FS driver from Linux 3.12
  • Enabling of LTE as preferred network on 2nd SIM card as well
  • Some changes to the auto brightness thresholds

• Enable haptic feedback on soft keys
  • Change default device name for wifi direct and hotspot to "Trunk" (not Benefit!)

• Use mixer_paths.xml file by Wenderer7755 to fix low volume on mic recordings

Last edited:

ottmi

Mar 3, 2016
Munich
Flashing Instructions

You will have to disable the bootloader lock first:
  • Enable developer options in Android by tapping the Build version in Settings > About 7 times
  • Check "Enable OEM unlock"

Next you will have to boot into TWRP, use @hisname's TWRP:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...410-5-inch-t3177753/post66208281#post66208281

You can boot TWRP either by flashing it to the recovery partition or by booting it directly via fastboot if you don't want to overwrite the stock recovery, i.e.:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-05042016.img
or
Code:
fastboot boot twrp-05042016.img

Make a backup of the stock ROM and then do a factory reset. You can then flash the CM13 image from sdcard or via adb sideload.

Last edited:

josoft86

Mar 9, 2015
Reggio di Calabria
Installation Xposed Rom Ottmi

Installation Xposed Rom Ottmi
@ottmi
Which version of Xposed install since I can not use: - cm-13.0-20160515-UNOFFICIAL-trunk - trunk1-TWRP-3.0.2.x- Xposed-v85-sdk23-arm64 can give me advice and thank you for your work

Reactions: dft601
B

Bingo Bronson

I can not use: - cm-13.0-20160515-UNOFFICIAL-trunk - trunk1-TWRP-3.0.2.x- Xposed-v85-sdk23-arm64
Sorry, I don't use Xposed, so I don't have any idea. arm64 and sdk23 sounds about right, though. What's the problem?

v84 works (used it for at least 3 weeks), updated to v85 yesterday: also working.

edit: Updated to 20160606 build, framework still active, all good.

Since no further details were provided, it would be nice if josoft86 could describe what happens during the "attempted" installation.

Last edited:
B

Bingo Bronson

Great, so many thanks, but, the link?
You have to use the download tab on the top of the thread since this is a DevDB supported thread...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/?id=15607#downloads

Example:
yhj1rBm.png
Visit xda with your browser if you are currently on xda labs or some kind of forum app.

Last edited:

21prods

Sep 2, 2013
Thank you. I decided to buy the Elephone Trunk because I was interested in a economic phone that could 'easily' be upgraded with non stock ROM (preferably CM 13).
I have gone through the previous conversation and I must admit I'm impressed with your progress so far. Congratulations and a big thank you!
I will definitely flash your build as soon as I receive the phone.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: BlueFlame4

kbezerianos

May 30, 2016
Great job!

Great job and super useful guide @ottmi.
Thank you!

I am currently running your previous release (cm-13.0-20160515-UNOFFICIAL-trunk) and have no issues to report at all!

In order to upgrade to the latest one, do I need to delete everything and start from scratch or is there an upgrade process?

Thank you for the excellent work.
Kind regards.

P.S. I have downloaded and installed GAPPS (Google Apps) from CM portal and found that the "nano" package has everything I need, while anything larger (e.g. full package) can't find enough space on system partition - no big deal though.

B

Bingo Bronson

In order to upgrade to the latest one, do I need to delete everything and start from scratch or is there an upgrade process?

[...] and found that the "nano" package has everything I need, while anything larger (e.g. full package) can't find enough space on system partition - no big deal though.
Dirty flash is enough, no need to clean everything. Just install the new build, wipe the caches afterwards like it is suggested by TWRP recovery.
Some of your apps may have a survival script, others need to be reflashed (this is just the case for special tools, like Xposed, etc.)

Nano Gapps is a smart choice either way, because all the pre-installed Gapps will be outdated soon enough, so why bother to install a "huge" Gapps pack...
I use microG and have roughly 260 MB left on the system partition.

Last edited:

josoft86

Mar 9, 2015
Reggio di Calabria
v84 works (used it for at least 3 weeks), updated to v85 yesterday: also working.

edit: Updated to 20160606 build, framework still active, all good.

Since no further details were provided, it would be nice if josoft86 could describe what happens during the "attempted" installation.
Evidently use TWRP 3.0.2.0 not compatible but I works fine with other rom CM13 who have tried. I will try to install TWRP-05042016 to check. Thank you:eek:

Last edited:
B

Bingo Bronson

Evidently use TWRP 3.0.2.0 not compatible but I works fine with other rom CM13 who have tried. I will try to install TWRP-05042016 to check. Thank you:eek:
But, but... I'm also on 3.0.2-0 and the Xposed zips & ROMs, for example, are processed without error, Aroma installer is also supported...
Who compiled / ported your TWRP version? I used only @hisname releases and they never let me down. ?

If you're using a TWRP image that has been built for the Ark Benefit, it won't work with my ROM as TWRP will report the device as Ark Benefit and not as Elephone Trunk.
I didn't even consider that possibility, since it has been mentioned numerous times in the old thread, ignorance is bliss (on my side), ahem... :eek:
I'm out of "thanks" to give, so I'll "upvote for awareness" later...

Last edited:

21prods

Sep 2, 2013
You can boot TWRP either by flashing it to the recovery partition or by booting it directly via fastboot if you don't want to overwrite the stock recovery, i.e.:
Code:
fastboot flash boot twrp-05042016.img
or
Code:
fastboot boot twrp-05042016.img

Make a backup of the stock ROM and then do a factory reset. You can then flash the CM13 image from sdcard or via adb sideload.

Sorry, but I think there is an error. If you want to flash a recovery the code would be "flash recovery" instead of "flash boot".

Code:

Appart from that (and the silly minute I've suffered because I did not understand at first what had gone wrong) everything is perfect :good:

Thank you, great job!

21prods

Sep 2, 2013
One question, have any of you got to use a SD memory card as internal memory?
I have tried to do so but it gives me an error message when moving apps and pictures, as if there was not enough space (when the fact is that there is more than enough by far - 32 Gb).
Thanks in advance

ottmi

Mar 3, 2016
Munich
Sorry, but I think there is an error. If you want to flash a recovery the code would be "flash recovery" instead of "flash boot".

Code:

Appart from that (and the silly minute I've suffered because I did not understand at first what had gone wrong) everything is perfect :good:

Thank you, great job!

Bummer. You're right, I've fixed the instructions accordingly. Sorry for that!

ottmi

Mar 3, 2016
Munich
One question, have any of you got to use a SD memory card as internal memory?
I have tried to do so but it gives me an error message when moving apps and pictures, as if there was not enough space (when the fact is that there is more than enough by far - 32 Gb).
Thanks in advance
I'm using a 32GB microsdhc to store music and pictures, no issues at all. I've also used 64GB mirosdxc without problems. I've never tried moving apps though.. How does it show in Settings->Storage & USB?

21prods

Sep 2, 2013
Yes, that's it. There you have the possibility of formatting the SD card to use it as (more) internal memory.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This ROM is a genuine CM13 build from source for the Elephone Trunk. It's based on mdeejay's Ark Benefit code with modifications by @BlueFlame4 and @hisname. The source code is available on GitHub.

Working:
    • Phone
    • Mobile data in dual-sim configuration
    • Wifi
    • GPS
    • Bluetooth
    • Audio

Known Bugs:
    • Torch tile in the status bar is not available
    • Haptic feedback on soft buttons

XDA:DevDB Information
    CM13 for Elephone Trunk, ROM for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    ottmi, siljaer
    Source Code: https://github.com/ottmi/android_device_elephone_trunk

ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 20160902
    Beta Release Date: 2016-09-02

Created 2016-06-07
    Last Updated 2016-09-02
    New ROM is up: http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=19864

It now hopefully includes a working thermal-engine that should fix the overheating problems. Also, I brought back the audio_effects.conf that should enable echo cancellation also for VoIP calls.
    I've updated the kernel to reflect the latest changes upstream, including patches against the QuadRooter vulnerabilities. However, the QuadRooter scanner by Check Point still shows the phone as vulnerable to CVE-2016-5340 which is odd since the new kernel includes Code Aurora's patches (see https://www.codeaurora.org/invalid-path-check-ashmem-memory-file-cve-2016-5340). So maybe the patch doesn't fix it properly or the app is buggy. There are similar reports for other phones as well.

I've also uploaded my own build of TWRP 3.0.2 that should fix the issues with the realtime clock. I was able to do a backup with it and also flash the new ROM but apart from that I haven't tested it much. So use at your own risk. But then again, this applies to everything I upload here :)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=19861
    I've just uploader a new ROM:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=20162

It includes the patched kernel that hopefully fixes the sdcard problems as well the fix for the previous ROM that corrects the thermal-engine and audio effects. Apart from that, I've now switched to the Wileyfox blobs for everything but the camera and tweaked the auto-brightness a bit more. I think it's much better now (at least for me ;)). Also, I've setup my own server for OTA updates - so from now on you can conveniently update from your phone.
    Okay, it worked with Gapps Pico - thanks a lot! I installed all the other Google apps from the Playstore :)
    Quick heads-up on the next build:
    any space issues with the system partition will be solved. Turns out that the actual partition is 1.8GB but I'm using only 1GB for the filesystem. So the next build will have 800M of extra space - that should be sufficient for any gapps package.

Also I will return to the generic CyanogenMod MSM8916 kernel. I had problems with this kernel earlier, with camera and sensors not working. I've solved the problems with the sensors (and actually improved sensitivity for the light sensor) and for now I've also fixed the camera problems by backporting the driver from mdeejay's Ark Benefit kernel. I also had to backport the touchpanel driver, but I'm quite confident to make it work without any backported drivers. All issues until now were due to errors in the devicetree..
    Just in time before the weekend, here's a new ROM for download: http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=19444

It incorporates @siljaer's changes to mixer_paths.xml - let's see whether this solves the echo problems for others as well :)

Apart from that there are only minor changes: I added some more permission files for the lights and proximity sensors, set the screen density to 300dpi, and backported the LZ4 compression from the vanilla 3.12 kernel to use it in ZRAM (the stock rom did so as well). I've also applied a hack that restarts the media service after the phone has fully booted. I've seen this in the Oneplus Onyx source and it seems to improve the issues with the disappearing torch tile.