[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][8.1.0][tb8703f/x/r/n] LineageOS 15.1 for Lenovo TAB 3 8 plus P8

Search This thread
magisk 18.1 doesn't install (as in other tablet I admit), does lineage has root by default? I can't find it in settings.
Which kind of magisk do you use?
Thank you so much!

I updated an existent system (Magisk 18.1 was already installad): simply wipe cache\dalvik cache, flash rom, sign boot and reboot.
When I installed Magisk, that's what I did:
- flash rom, gapps, sign boot
- reboot
- after first boot, i went back in recovery and flashed Magisk-v18.1.zip, sign boot and reboot

You can achieve root on Lineage OS also flashing the su addon.

Morph26

Feb 21, 2019
Error: 7

I've gotten TWRP 3.1.1-080 installed for the Lenovo TB-8703F.

I've wiped the data, rebooted into recovery and installed SU.

When I attempt to install the LineageOS 15.1 I can "error 7", which I don't really know why.

Unforunately I don't have an OS to back into at this point. All files are on my SD card though.

If it helps, here's a snip from the recovery.log
Set page: 'flash_zip'
I:eek:peration_start: 'Flashing'
Installing zip file '/external_sd/lineage-15.1-20180926-UNOFFICIAL-TB8703.zip'
Checking for Digest file...
Skipping Digest check: no Digest file found
I:Update binary zip
I:Zip does not contain SELinux file_contexts file in its root.
I:Legacy property environment initialized.
selinux_android_file_context: Error getting file context handle (No such file or directory)
Warning: No file_contextsscript aborted: E3004: This package is for device: TB-8703X,TB-8703F,TB-8703R,TB-8703N,TB8703; this device is .
E3004: This package is for device: TB-8703X,TB-8703F,TB-8703R,TB-8703N,TB8703; this device is .error: 3004
Updater process ended with ERROR: 7
I:Legacy property environment disabled.
I:Install took 0 second(s).
Error installing zip file '/external_sd/lineage-15.1-20180926-UNOFFICIAL-TB8703.zip'
Updating partition details...
I:Data backup size is 0MB, free: 10796MB.
I:Unable to mount '/usb-otg'
I:Actual block device: '', current file system: 'vfat'
I:Translating partition display names
I:Backup folder set to '/external_sd/TWRP/BACKUPS/2631685e'
...done
I:Set page: 'flash_done'
I:eek:peration_end - status=1
I:Set page: 'clear_vars'
I:Set page: 'install'
I:Set page: 'main'
I:Set page: 'main2'
I:Set page: 'settings'
Truncating string cache entries.
I:Set page: 'main'
I:Set page: 'main2'
I:Set page: 'advanced'
I:Set page: 'copylog'
I:Set page: 'action_page'
I:eek:peration_start: 'Copy Log'
I:Copying file /tmp/recovery.log to /external_sd/recovery.log

Morph26

Feb 21, 2019
I've gotten TWRP 3.1.1-080 installed for the Lenovo TB-8703F.
I've wiped the data, rebooted into recovery and installed SU.
When I attempt to install the LineageOS 15.1 I can "error 7", which I don't really know why.
Unforunately I don't have an OS to back into at this point. All files are on my SD card though.

Suffice to say, I'm in quite the mess now. Upgrading my 'Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1' tablet was a breeze. This has been much more difficult.
At the current time, I have TWRP 3.1.1 installed...... and nothing else. At some point in my frustration I ran a wipe and wiped out everything. So the only thing on the device is TWRP. I was able to get a "recovery TWRP 3.2.1 installed. So if I go into the power+up way I end up with TWRP 3.1.1. And if I let it boot on it's own it boots into TWRP3.2.1

As previously mentioned I have LineageOS, but I just can't seem to get it to install. Either the SYSTEM partition won't mount or appears to be unaccessable. Or I think the ZIP file doesn't really believe that I have a TB-8703F. My only guess here is that when I received this (long ago) that everything came in Chinese.... but the device was in English. So perhaps the original ROM was in Chinese and the new ZIP is looking for something else?

I've been looking for a old/original ROM that I can install with QFIL. But at the moment even that keeps erroring out saying that "Sahara Fails".

I still want to get this device up to Oreo8.1, but it looks like I could really use some help here. I'm trying too many different things and too many different builds that I'm not sure what direction I should be taking at this point.

Morph26

Feb 21, 2019
Suffice to say, I'm in quite the mess now. Upgrading my 'Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1' tablet was a breeze. This has been much more difficult.
At the current time, I have TWRP 3.1.1 installed...... and nothing else. At some point in my frustration I ran a wipe and wiped out everything. So the only thing on the device is TWRP. I was able to get a "recovery TWRP 3.2.1 installed. So if I go into the power+up way I end up with TWRP 3.1.1. And if I let it boot on it's own it boots into TWRP3.2.1

As previously mentioned I have LineageOS, but I just can't seem to get it to install. Either the SYSTEM partition won't mount or appears to be unaccessable. Or I think the ZIP file doesn't really believe that I have a TB-8703F. My only guess here is that when I received this (long ago) that everything came in Chinese.... but the device was in English. So perhaps the original ROM was in Chinese and the new ZIP is looking for something else?

I've been looking for a old/original ROM that I can install with QFIL. But at the moment even that keeps erroring out saying that "Sahara Fails".

I still want to get this device up to Oreo8.1, but it looks like I could really use some help here. I'm trying too many different things and too many different builds that I'm not sure what direction I should be taking at this point.

well, i'm making some progress. i followed the instructions here to return my device back to stock
https://xdaforums.com/android/development/lenovo-p8-tb-8703f-wifi-how-to-flash-t3720621

oddly, it took 3x before it appeared to work. but it has worked. my biggest issue is that i can't get the tablet to boot in the OS.
TWRP is no longer there with the re-image. but i can boot to the power+up options. but system wont mount and i cant restet the device , again because system wont mount.
how can i get system to mount? re-try twrp?

Morph26

Feb 21, 2019
well, i'm making some progress. i followed the instructions here to return my device back to stock
https://xdaforums.com/android/development/lenovo-p8-tb-8703f-wifi-how-to-flash-t3720621

oddly, it took 3x before it appeared to work. but it has worked. my biggest issue is that i can't get the tablet to boot in the OS.
TWRP is no longer there with the re-image. but i can boot to the power+up options. but system wont mount and i cant restet the device , again because system wont mount.
how can i get system to mount? re-try twrp?

Ok, slowly making progress.

(1) Install TWRP 3.1.1 via QFIL
(2) Using TWRP --> Wipe --> Advanced Wipe I was able to properly format the system drive
(3) Install LinageOS 14.1
(4) Install OPen Gapps 7.1
(5) Within TWRP root device (or it'll do this weird flashing during boot attempts)
(6) Reboot into Restore
(7) Install the new TWRP 3.2.1 image to BOOT (found at beginning of this thread)
(8) Reboot into Restore
(9) Install LinageOS 15.1 (this one took some time. OK a lot of time. Seemed hung at patching image unconditionally)
(10) Install Open Gapps 8.1
(11) Ensure device is rooted.
(12) Reboot to System

From what I've been reading this is more of a multi-upgrade path. Not a straight shot. So stopping by ver14 first to check it out. But you can easily skip those steps 3-5.
I'll also point out that all the files I needed, I placed onto a MicroSD.

Catscratch

Mar 10, 2012
magisk 18.1 doesn't install (as in other tablet I admit), does lineage has root by default? I can't find it in settings.
Which kind of magisk do you use?
Thank you so much!

Download latest stable magisk (should be 18.1) and manager.

Boot into recovery. Flash magisk, sign boot and reboot into rom. Install magisk manager apk if not already happened. Start it and check root.

dereck_br

Jun 13, 2014
I don't understand why you aren't creating a good tutorial on how to install this rom on the device. Equal to AOSP Extend for Lenovo TAB3 post.
For beginners, we need to install TWRP(3.1.1), do root, after, install again TWRP(3.2.1). Rename "TWRP-3.1.1-0821-LENOVO_P8(8703F)-CN-wzsx150" in folder TWRP-3.1.1-0821-LENOVO_P8(8703F)-CN-wzsx150-QPST, paste "twrp-tb8703-3.2.1-20180825-bootsign.img" and rename this for "TWRP-3.1.1-0821-LENOVO_P8(8703F)-CN-wzsx150.img".
Repeat install via QFIL to TWRP and see the new TWRP 3.2.1.
Make a full wipe (system, data, cache, dalvik), Flash Lineage OS, Wipe cache, Sign boot (Advanced menu) and reboot system. If you lost root you can install supersu or install Magisk via TWRP.

Reactions: sadman122

Catscratch

Mar 10, 2012
[denser said:
;79082761]New build based on highwaystar's sources is up.
Download here.
Changelog:
latest upstream changes;
2019-03-05 security patches.

Maybe you should start es new thread to keep the op updated. Otherwise it's hard to find the latest version.

And thanks for your efforts!

Reactions: Aiolizator

KoGi77GR

Oct 21, 2010
Athens
Hello,
I cannot find the option to create a new user with restricted profile.
Is this a known issue with the LineageOS ??
Anyone knows a solution to it?

Palmee

Mar 18, 2019
Got it working but wifi does not

I'm really at my wits end. I managed to get the build running but right after I get to the first setup a pop up that Bluetooth is no longer working pops up. In the settings menu Bluetooth does not even turn on. The slider goes to on but after a few seconds back to off.
The same thing with wifi. I don't really care about Bluetooth but without wifi the tablet is worthless for me.
I tried my backup I made after installing twrp. Same story.
I did a factory reset from that backup but no change.
Did I mess something up?

I installed twrp 3.1 with qfil, then 3.2.
Flashed the Rom, wiped data, cache and the other thing, change to sign boot and rebooted.

Could it be that it's a wifi antenna hardware problem although I did not drop it or anything?

What steps can I do to get my wifi back?
Please help

Edit: I looked around and from what I found it seems like my Mac address got deleted and so I have no wifi available or so.
There should be a file in the folder"wpa_supplicant.conf" in data/misc/wifi that seems to be important.
I don't have it tho.
Anyone with this file?

Last edited:

Northleft

Oct 9, 2017
To those using the build of user [denser] , how is it? I am on LO14 and I am thinking of updating in few weeks.

Any issues?

Palmee

Mar 18, 2019
Now it works for me

Thanks a lot. I got i working but maybe helpful for others.

I flashed the stock rom and from there installed it correctly and now it works.

I had really trouble because the instructions were really vague in my opinion.

Here a short guide:

1. Install TWRP 3.1 as described in the link provided in first post
2. copy the img file "twrp-tb8703-3.2.1-20180825-bootsign.img" and the "lineage-15.1-20180926-UNOFFICIAL-TB8703.zip" into internal storage or use otg
2. install Twrp 3.2.1 with the image file from the first post ->"twrp-tb8703-3.2.1-20180825-bootsign.img"
Steps: go to twrp recovery->click install->install image and choose the file-> wait for install to finish
3. go to wipe-> advanced-> select wipe cache, dalvik and data
4. now install the OS via install -> and select "lineage-15.1-20180926-UNOFFICIAL-TB8703.zip" from the location you saved it to-> wait for install to finish
5. you can wipe cache and dalvik again but not sure if neccessary but IMPORTANT click on sign boot and swipe to activate it. If you dont see it its under advanced-> sign boot
6. now you can reboot and set up your device
7. Optional: Download Gapps and install the zip file via twrp for the google playstore(Gapps micro worked for me)

I think that should be pretty much the process. If something I described is wrong be free to correct me.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghoulie

Mhden2x

Sep 11, 2012
Is there any way we can flash Franco Kernel with this ROM guys? It would be the best combination!!

Top Liked Posts